Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 474 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

85c74600a1925c9acefd7596a7ea5156b6bad245.gif.gif
    IMG_3803 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3802 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3795 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3794 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3793 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3792 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3791 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3790 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3789 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3788 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3787 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3785 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3784 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3783 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3782 (resized).jpeg
    There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

interesting seeing the window bells, in Aus basements basements are a rarity but are such a great idea - is there a drain in the bottom of the window bell so water doesn't flood around the window? any pictures

Yes by code there is a 4” drain in all window wells.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

If you or your contractor had found an ancient Native Indian burial site, would you have been legally required to report it to the government. Or your wife!

Better chance of finding a Wooly Mammoth! Which they found back in '77 (not sure of date) not far from Wheaton, in Blackwell Forest Preserve. Anyways very neat addition, well dig down! Looks Great!

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from tadowhere:

Better chance of finding a Wooly Mammoth! Which they found back in the day not far from Wheaton, in Blackwell Forest Preserve. Anyways very neat addition, well dig down! Looks Great!

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

I have to say those are concrete trucks, cement is the power stuff that goes in concrete and comes in tanker trucks to the concrete plant (and rail cars and big ships).

I state it this way to try and help people understand. Calling concrete "cement" is like calling a cake "flour". Cement is an ingredient in concrete just as flour is an ingredient in a cake. Concrete consists of coarse aggregate (rock), fine aggregate (sand), cement (Portland cement), and water.

If anyone wants to get pedantic, we can discuss the definition of concrete. I kid, no reason to derail this great thread.

All that being said, thanks for the update. I've really enjoyed watching this, it has been really educational.

#205 4 years ago

This basement would solve all my problems for space. Can you come build mine next?
    I still dont see this item on website store yet?
    1700 sq feet, so jealous.

#206 4 years ago

A painful yet productive weekend. First steps I had to remove All of the HVAC ducts and returns. Even more fun I found out is to hand crush 600lbs of steel duct work. Luckily our neighborhood still has a few scrappers that gladly picked up the mighty pile. Next up prep the floor so the painting task doesn't destroy our work thus far before the epoxy. Several rolls of plastic and as luck would have it a few spare Stern boxes and the dance floor is prepared. Did I mention I Detest painting!!! As luck would have it mama was a willing helper so we took turns. Started with a HVLP gun and in short order found that to be a pain with the ceiling. Off to Harbor Freight for a dispensable suction line gun and off to the races! 10 gallons later and the ceiling and base wall are Done!! Turned our amazing in my opinion. What an unpleasant task though. I can run plumbing, electrical, or framing all day but Painting is just mindless torcher. The remaining upper wall will get a finished perimeter wood shelf and a rustic wood panel wall to break up the wood and accent the later neon perimeter lighting. Overall a productive weekend but not much fun. Next up HVAC goes Back in with a last minute decision to upgrade the furnace as the new capacity will tax the AC plus it was beyond old at this point. Remaining pipes and window delivery also planned this week so we can get back to normal home climate.

IMG_3497 (resized).jpegIMG_3497 (resized).jpegIMG_3499 (resized).jpegIMG_3499 (resized).jpegIMG_3502 (resized).jpegIMG_3502 (resized).jpegIMG_3513 (resized).jpegIMG_3513 (resized).jpegIMG_3516 (resized).jpegIMG_3516 (resized).jpeg
    #207 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Next up HVAC goes Back in with a last minute decision to upgrade the furnace as the new capacity will tax the AC plus it was beyond old at this point.

The "while I'm here might as well" syndrome. The bane of all remodeling projects Paint looks great!

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

A painful yet productive weekend. First steps I had to remove All of the HVAC ducts and returns. Even more fun I found out is to hand crush 600lbs of steel duct work. Luckily our neighborhood still has a few scrappers that gladly picked up the mighty pile. Next up prep the floor so the painting task doesn't destroy our work thus far before the epoxy. Several rolls of plastic and as luck would have it a few spare Stern boxes and the dance floor is prepared. Did I mention I Detest painting!!! As luck would have it mama was a willing helper so we took turns. Started with a HVLP gun and in short order found that to be a pain with the ceiling. Off to Harbor Freight for a dispensable suction line gun and off to the races! 10 gallons later and the ceiling and base wall are Done!! Turned our amazing in my opinion. What an unpleasant task though. I can run plumbing, electrical, or framing all day but Painting is just mindless torcher. The remaining upper wall will get a finished perimeter wood shelf and a rustic wood panel wall to break up the wood and accent the later neon perimeter lighting. Overall a productive weekend but not much fun. Next up HVAC goes Back in with a last minute decision to upgrade the furnace as the new capacity will tax the AC plus it was beyond old at this point. Remaining pipes and window delivery also planned this week so we can get back to normal home climate.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

looks like a night club hehe very nice

#209 4 years ago

I am so jelly... I need to do this... but no way I want to put that money into me casa. yelo, you are a Rockstar!!

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I state it this way to try and help people understand. Calling concrete "cement" is like calling a cake "flour". Cement is an ingredient in concrete just as flour is an ingredient in a cake. Concrete consists of coarse aggregate (rock), fine aggregate (sand), cement (Portland cement), and water.
    If anyone wants to get pedantic, we can discuss the definition of concrete. I kid, no reason to derail this great thread.
    All that being said, thanks for the update. I've really enjoyed watching this, it has been really educational.

Don't forget you also have 90 minutes to make the delivery of concrete...

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Don't forget you also have 90 minutes to make the delivery of concrete...

Should we discuss drum rotations too? Checking the ticket for the correct mix design and job?

After all that, we'll start our testing procedures.

BTW, I don't like painting much either. One of those things that has to be done sometimes.

#212 4 years ago

The area looks absolutely fantastic-congrats. I am also so impressed by the contractors that undertook the task in great time with a great result. Do you have a pic of them-I reckon they deserve recognition!

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

The area looks absolutely fantastic-congrats. I am also so impressed by the contractors that undertook the task in great time with a great result. Do you have a pic of them-I reckon they deserve recognition!

Thanks wayner! Yes they honestly did an Amazing job no question. Out of respect for privacy I tried to avoid any personal pics as they may not wish to be published. My guess is the recognition they want is the big check I wrote lol. A few more loose ends to tie up then we start the next phase inching closer to game room vs the current bomb shelter.

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

SERIOUSLY! I'm jealous.
    This is mine after 5 months of work... (after 9 months of struggling with permit issues)

IMG_1678 (resized).jpgIMG_1678 (resized).jpg
    #215 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

SERIOUSLY! I'm jealous.
    This is mine after 5 months of work... (after 9 months of struggling with permit issues)[quoted image]

Wow thats a huge project! Sad its taking so long but I suspect Nothing in CA moves fast with construction tied to politics. Hope you see progress soon!

#216 4 years ago

Those window wells are so intriguing, I have never seen anything like that before (I'm in the Carolinas). one of these days after everything's up and running take some pictures for us of what it looks like in a heavy rain, I'm sure there's no problems or nobody would install them but it's hard to wrap my head around!

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Those window wells are so intriguing, I have never seen anything like that before (I'm in the Carolinas). one of these days after everything's up and running take some pictures for us of what it looks like in a heavy rain, I'm sure there's no problems or nobody would install them but it's hard to wrap my head around!

As noted there is a 5" drain in the base of each window well per code. Should more then take care of the run off. We plan to mural wrap the wells for a slightly more scenic look as soon as the windows drop this week. I will update all those photos as progress continues. Right now its HVAC time and finish plumbing along with the electrical runs to accommodate a few pinball machines....

#218 4 years ago

Do you have to bring in new electrical service or do you have enough already?

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Do you have to bring in new electrical service or do you have enough already?

The home already had service. I ran an independant sub station (another breaker panel) to the basement for 60 amps to more then cover the space and its power hungry games. Just made more sense to have the breakers in the room they are addressing rather then running upstairs should I need to shut down a breaker. I believe you can see the new panel in a few of the pics. The panel will eventually be framed into a wall when done to make it look proper.

1 week later
    #220 4 years ago

Work is progressing quickly on the core pieces to make the expansion function. Didn't want anyone to think I stopped just burning the midnight oil lately! As noted I decided with the large sq foot addition and the fact that the HVAC system was pushing 20 years it was time to boost the configuration with new components and routing. Took 4 days but worth the effort long term. Routing the trunk lines specific to my game layout was a trickier task as I wanted max headroom and everything cleanly layed out. Overall came out great and the house is like a freezer now.

IMG_3533 (resized).jpegIMG_3533 (resized).jpegIMG_3546 (resized).jpegIMG_3546 (resized).jpegIMG_3550 (resized).jpegIMG_3550 (resized).jpeg
    #221 4 years ago

Ran All new electric, plenty of outlets to every game area and a dozen smart outlets and circuits to ensure full smart game room use and automation. Basically a full Alexa room lol. New power sub station wiring all completed with only a few more lines to run for specific items. I prefer conduit which takes time but I can do it fairly well and love that at Anytime I can run additional circuits anytime I wish. Also removed the main bathroom waste line and routed the old one. Still finishing pulling the old waste lines but most of the ugly center ones are now done. Added a 3rd ejector backup to the backups system to ensure NO water issues!!

IMG_3545 (resized).jpegIMG_3545 (resized).jpegIMG_3547 (resized).jpegIMG_3547 (resized).jpegIMG_3548 (resized).jpegIMG_3548 (resized).jpegIMG_3549 (resized).jpegIMG_3549 (resized).jpeg
    #222 4 years ago

Looks great!

#223 4 years ago

Finally for this week, it has dried out a bit more so the rough exterior backfill is now completed. Still waiting on a truckload of top soil to make it more grass less hoe down mud. Drains installed in window wells and waiting on clear covers and ladder for large bay window. Coming along well and we are sealed up Finally!!

IMG_3534 (resized).jpegIMG_3534 (resized).jpegIMG_3535 (resized).jpegIMG_3535 (resized).jpegIMG_3536 (resized).jpegIMG_3536 (resized).jpegIMG_3537 (resized).jpegIMG_3537 (resized).jpeg
    #224 4 years ago

Cleaning up copper plumbing with new 1" main from the front. More ceiling clean up and thinning so to speak. And as usual decided what the heck time to run new copper plumbing to the second bathroom and start fresh with every pipe.... Also (as seen in photos) started shimming the upper walls for the industrial wood look paneling and perimeter neon lighting. Epoxy marble floor quoted and scheduled to go in 2 weeks from now to ensure the floor is properly cured. That will be the ultimate fuse to light this project moving forward with a few walls and official MOVE IN progress. Can't wait to start clearing out the game hoard upstairs. Feels like we are living in an arcade this past few weeks. lol

#225 4 years ago

I don't trust those battery back up sump pumps. If I had the money invested as you do, a whole house generator is the only way to go.

#226 4 years ago

Looks great, nice clean work

#227 4 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

I don't trust those battery back up sump pumps. If I had the money invested as you do, a whole house generator is the only way to go.

Possibly but with (3) back up systems and the fact that we Rarely have them go off I am fairly comfortable with the system I opted to do. Plus it sends me a message when battery back up is online as well as continuous battery life monitoring. You can only safeguard so much before it becomes crazy redundant. As we have never had any water in the basement (primary basement) in 20 years I think this protection will more than suffice.

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Looks great, nice clean work

Thanks. Can anyone tell I have a Bit of OCD.... With my electrical and plumbing if its not straight and perfect its getting redone! lol

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks. Can anyone tell I have a Bit of OCD.... With my electrical and plumbing if its not straight and perfect its getting redone! lol

I recognize it (and respect it) right away. Nice work!

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

So does your community allow you to do your own plumbing and electrical or is this just a kind of thing? You need a master's in the specific trade to pull permits around these parts...

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Added a 3rd ejector backup to the backups system to ensure NO water issues!!

Is the battery backup a WatchDog? I have a primary pump plus a watchdog combo. Two separate outlet pipes too. Thought to myself "I'm covered." Then someone at work said "Are they both on a single breaker?" LOL, a single point failure! Wired in another breaker - problem solved. Eventually just bought a whole house generator since I was traveling for awhile and didn't want to wife trying to start a standalone generator if power went out.

#232 4 years ago

just amazing room and thx for sharing with us!

#233 4 years ago

Been really cool to see the progress on your project. Congrats. Do you plan on installing a back up for your sump pump ?. In my neck of the woods we have failure s often. I installed a water pressure back up for my sump. Tapped into my 3/4 supply and dont have to worry about battery failures. Now I can sleep well knowing my pins are safe .

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

So does your community allow you to do your own plumbing and electrical or is this just a kind of thing? You need a master's in the specific trade to pull permits around these parts...

As I pulled the permit and am going through the same inspections there is no issue. Don't need to be a union tradesman to do the job right. As I have done this hundreds of times I feel confident in my work. Less so with some of the so called professionals that close enough is their effort. All good so far final inspection tomorrow and done.

#235 4 years ago

While not a Wow moment of progress it is for me. New 1" copper from main and fresh new plumbing throughout. Need to do some pipe insulation this week as drippy pipe makes for a not so fun game room. lol Also the final segment of drain lines are run and tied in perfectly to the outside. No old pipe anywhere in the house so the water roots are good for many years beyond me and I can finish the primary objective Game Room! Have one small crack I want to deal with tomorrow in a wall to give me some peace of mind. Not an issue simply a typical support beam to foundation crack. Will mend it correctly tomorrow. Then its time to finish the walls and start trimming in the perimeter neon as well as finish up some additional ceiling lights on the other side now that the pipes are finally gone.

IMG_3553 (resized).jpegIMG_3553 (resized).jpegIMG_3554 (resized).jpegIMG_3554 (resized).jpegIMG_3555 (resized).jpegIMG_3555 (resized).jpeg
    #236 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Is the battery backup a WatchDog? I have a primary pump plus a watchdog combo. Two separate outlet pipes too. Thought to myself "I'm covered." Then someone at work said "Are they both on a single breaker?" LOL, a single point failure! Wired in another breaker - problem solved. Eventually just bought a whole house generator since I was traveling for awhile and didn't want to wife trying to start a standalone generator if power went out.

After installing Many Watchdog systems for others over the years I found them less then reliable and not designed for long term use. They were popular years ago just not built well. I opted for the dual Zoeller 508 system which is a workhorse and rather industrial. A bit more expensive but not by much. Watchdog got popular because they hit the big box stores and became a trend. Hope the research pays off but I feel comfortable with Zoeller as the leader in this pump tech. Plus the monitoring system is extremely well done. I'll provide a link if you're interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3B5YQE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from mtp78:

Been really cool to see the progress on your project. Congrats. Do you plan on installing a back up for your sump pump ?. In my neck of the woods we have failure s often. I installed a water pressure back up for my sump. Tapped into my 3/4 supply and dont have to worry about battery failures. Now I can sleep well knowing my pins are safe .

Hydro pumps can work as a peace of mind but it Really depends on your situation. Hydro pumps work but there output capacity is Very minimal. In a heavy rush of heavy rain most will not keep up. I have installed a few and in the right situation they can work out well.

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

After installing Many Watchdog systems for others over the years I found them less then reliable and not designed for long term use. They were popular years ago just not built well.

Agree completely. I had a Watchdog as a complete second backup. Literally did not run, and the primary casing deteriorated to the point of having holes in it after 5 years. I still have one (didn't feel like changing the pipes - maybe next time), but I've learned to keep an eye on it and will just replace every 4 years. PHCC as the primary pump, been solid since day one.

Thanks for the link.

#239 4 years ago

I'm enjoying your progress on this project, keep up the good work.

#240 4 years ago
    Quoted from Drewscruis:

I'm enjoying your progress on this project, keep up the good work.

Thanks. Trust me I have a long way to go but so far things are progressing as planned. I'll be happy when the games start to line up and the first guests arrive.

#241 4 years ago

Just came across this thread, amazing!!! Thanks for all the updates!!

#242 4 years ago

I got the John wayne gacy vibe at first, but now it looks to be great.
    Well done so far.

P.s. Just love the popcorn dispenser.

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

I got the John wayne gacy vibe at first, but now it looks to be great.
    Well done so far.
    P.s. Just love the popcorn dispenser.

Lol no bodies that I will admit to..... Finishing a minor crack repair the Right way and then the fun begins!

#244 4 years ago

Looking forward to not getting invited to this new space!

#245 4 years ago

I thought you couldn't have bars or gates on window wells in DuPage something about they have to be a fire escape

#246 4 years ago

I just want to say that you're absolutely insane and this is awesome. Keep up the great work! I can't wait to see the final space.

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Looking forward to not getting invited to this new space!

You are absolutely my first invite!

#248 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

I thought you couldn't have bars or gates on window wells in DuPage something about they have to be a fire escape

There are ladders going in and the grates lift up for easy access and escape. They actually specify this configuration for the permit. Can't have anyone accidently fall into my basement uninvited unless of coarse its Jay! lol The goal is to keep the drunk guests from falling in.

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

I got the John wayne gacy vibe at first,

More like Soylent Green. The bodies are made into pinball mods and shipped around the world.

Some of your mods in your games really have a name.

LTG : )

#250 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

More like Soylent Green. The bodies are made into pinball mods and shipped around the world.
    Some of your mods in your games really have a name.
    LTG : )

You figured out my secret! Wait till you see the New LTG Willy Wonka leg levelers! lol

There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-room-underground-excavation-and-expansion-for-themodcouple/page/5?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.