Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 474 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

85c74600a1925c9acefd7596a7ea5156b6bad245.gif.gif
    IMG_3803 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3802 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3795 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3794 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3793 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3792 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3791 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3790 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3789 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3788 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3787 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3785 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3784 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3783 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3782 (resized).jpeg
    There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.
    #101 4 years ago

Sorry for the lack of updates today. Had to visit some clients in lovely Evansville IN all day today (so fun...) but mama said they are jackhammering away and another window went in and the front wall concrete forms were braced for the next pour tomorrow. IF the weather holds we may have the last walls in soon before the floor. Fingers crossed.

1513412B-6E97-4007-9B3F-D34DAA3AA03C (resized).jpeg1513412B-6E97-4007-9B3F-D34DAA3AA03C (resized).jpeg

#102 4 years ago

Awesome project! We have a basement with a crawl space on both sides of it. It’s interesting because the house is split by the basement with separate waste, water and hvac. I mentioned an idea like this and was immediately shot down before I even finished speaking the words lol. I’ll enjoy living vicariously through this thread!

#103 4 years ago

Getting SOOOoo close. The last of the earth has left the building! Front wall was poured yesterday, remaining mountain cleared, and forms pulled the next day. This is getting real now, finally. Granted the rain is still hanging around they seem focused on progress. Another window framed and another larger one sliced like butter through the foundation. Hopeful plan is the remaining 15 foot section is keyed and gets shored and poured tomorrow along with the lolly columns and remaining window. Then comes the Large entrance window at 6 foot and fingers crossed the gravel and floor arrive by Friday (ish). So exciting to finally start seeing the volume we were hoping for. Games are all laid out in CAD and my holiday weekend punch list is dialed in and ready. Let there be a Game Room!!!

IMG_3378 (resized).jpegIMG_3378 (resized).jpegIMG_3380 (resized).jpegIMG_3380 (resized).jpegIMG_3382 (resized).jpegIMG_3382 (resized).jpegIMG_3383 (resized).jpegIMG_3383 (resized).jpeg
    #104 4 years ago

Floor posts going to stay or are those temporary? Are they putting a drain tile around the new footer going to a sump pit?

If I build again, I think I would go w/2" of foam on the outside and under the slab to prevent any condensation on the cement.

Really interesting watching the build, pretty amazing.

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Floor posts going to stay or are those temporary? Are they putting a drain tile around the new footer going to a sump pit?
    If I build again, I think I would go w/2" of foam on the outside and under the slab to prevent any condensation on the cement.

That stuff is a building code requirement here, glad they have it!

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Posts are needed to support the brick upper floors but they are going to be placed per my drawing to hide them in a wall. Yes, the floor is getting a full perimeter drain tied to the new dual battery back up sump system I installed this week. They don't use insulation but instead use a corrugated plastic waffle type material to draw water to drain line. I'm certain it will work great plus we are doing an epoxy custom floor no carpets or wood.

#107 4 years ago

Hopefully this doesn't come off rash or condescending but I guess the ultimate question is why wouldn't you just move to a house that has a basement? This whole project has to be costing an arm and a leg. I would imagine it would have been cheaper just to sell the house and buy something new that actually fit your needs better. I commend you on your effort and your dedication to provide yourself a better game room but my goodness it seems like a very hard way to go to ultimately get what you needed. I have to admit I'm hooked on watching the whole process and looking forward to how it plays out so best of luck moving forward on this massive undertaking.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Hopefully this doesn't come off rash or condescending but I guess the ultimate question is why wouldn't you just move to a house that has a basement? This whole project has to be costing an arm and a leg. I would imagine it would have been cheaper just to sell the house and buy something new that actually fit your needs better. I commend you on your effort and your dedication to provide yourself a better game room but my goodness it seems like a very hard way to go to ultimately get what you needed. I have to admit I'm hooked on watching the whole process and looking forward to how it plays out so best of luck moving forward on this massive undertaking.

I believe he covered that question. To sum it up... He likes the house, cost to move to different house would be more, cost to build above ground would be more. This keeps the house looking the same on the outside which was also desired.

#109 4 years ago

So, the old footers stay in place? And that is what causes the shelf around perimeter, because new wall is inside of old?

#110 4 years ago

If it was my house, I would put down the rigid foam insulation underneath the slab. You only get a chance to do it once. It could be the best investment you make down there.

I would even go with 4" instead of 2"!

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

It always costs more to move to a bigger house in the same region. We are going to do a similar project, basement plus 2 main levels and it will cost us 250. To move to a comparable size house in the same neighborhood would cost me 700, no kidding

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sleepy:

If it was my house, I would put down the rigid foam insulation underneath the slab. You only get a chance to do it once. It could be the best investment you make down there.

After the past winter, this ^^
    ......................................||
    ......................................||

#113 4 years ago

I’ll admit I flicked through the thread quickly so maybe I missed them, but where’s the batpoles leading from the house down to the basement?

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sleepy:

I had to google this but YES YES YES

#115 4 years ago

And throw in some radiant heat in the floor...

#116 4 years ago

Wow,

All this for a JJPOTC!!

This is wild!

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from DrDQ:

Wow,
    All this for a JJPOTC!!
    This is wild!

Well it is a CE! I Completely get it.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I’ll admit I flicked through the thread quickly so maybe I missed them, but where’s the batpoles leading from the house down to the basement?

This is a second basement addition. There is already a partial basement with stairs and 15 pinball machines. Clearly not enough to support this addition lol.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It always costs more to move to a bigger house in the same region. We are going to do a similar project, basement plus 2 main levels and it will cost us 250. To move to a comparable size house in the same neighborhood would cost me 700, no kidding

Pretty much spot on the case in our area. Add to that as noted I have no interest taking on a new mortgage when the house is paid for. For the 50k added to this property you would need another 600k to get a larger house in this area which we love. No thanks lol. Dollar per foot I am Certain this will prove to be a justified investment short and long term in this property area. Last wall was shored and poured today! Forms come off tomorrow with pics and the final window entrance gets framed for Monday followed by the all important floor. And yes the floor will be reenforced 4” slab with insulation. As I said this wasn’t their first time doing this. We opted against radiant floors as we have forced air throughout and in general the basement stays virtually the same temp year round as was our other basement area. Getting close, hoping to move the furnace and toss the old water heater this fun weekend.

#120 4 years ago

Just catching up. Thx for sharing!

#121 4 years ago

Does this company possibly travel to Madison for this sort of job?

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Does this company possibly travel to Madison for this sort of job?

I believe they would. They are in Northern IL but I could ask. I have worked with Many contractors in my life previously owning a remodeling company myself and these guys are absolutely amazing. Horrible unusual weather aside they have not missed a mark to date and keep me updated continuously.

#123 4 years ago

You need to pick up a plastic Halloween skeleton and bury it under the concrete. Good for a few laughs if it ever gets dug up.

LTG : )

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I believe they would. They are in Northern IL but I could ask. I have worked with Many contractors in my life previously owning a remodeling company myself and these guys are absolutely amazing. Horrible unusual weather aside they have not missed a mark to date and keep me updated continuously.

Thx. I looked into this a few years ago and gave up when I could not find a reputable company to do the job.

These guys appears to really have it down.

#125 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the updated pics!

#126 4 years ago

This is a fun project to follow along with, thanks for sharing!

#127 4 years ago

Very cool project!

#128 4 years ago

Wait, this is all costing just $50k?

#129 4 years ago

That’s like 3 new sterns!

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Wait, this is all costing just $50k?

Yep but note for anyone considering free space I am doing much of the back end water, electric, floor epoxy, etc myself. (cheap ass) Also, every site and contractor is different. We have a simple (er) site with corner access and their only objective was to make a 1000' sq foot room of concrete, windows, and wells. No stairs or fancy finishing. The rest is on me which is more up my alley. Diggin not so much... lol

#131 4 years ago

Oh joy another 4 days of rain but slow progress none the less. Wager says When this is done we have a 40 day drought! Final wall section done and the forms pulled today. Last forms on Monday for the 6' window and side window then the Magical dance floor goes down!!! If the plan (and F'n weather) works the remaining plumbing comes out Wednesday. Plan of attack for my extended rest weekend is to pull down the old ducts, clip some old phone wires, finish the copper plumbing, pull out the old water heater, move the furnace, and pick up the materials for the new duct system. A real relaxing weekend. Oh, and go to finally pick up our restored Popperette popcorn machine!

IMG_3392 (resized).jpegIMG_3392 (resized).jpegIMG_3394 (resized).jpegIMG_3394 (resized).jpegIMG_3400 (resized).jpegIMG_3400 (resized).jpegIMG_3403 (resized).jpegIMG_3403 (resized).jpeg
    #132 4 years ago

Any bodies found?

#133 4 years ago

No, the bodies go IN before the concrete pour! I did find a T-Rex though!

#134 4 years ago

Make sure you stick some coins in the wall for good luck!

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Wait ... what!?

#136 4 years ago

A Long day of copper pipe and all new gas lines but we are back online and the old water heater is out. The tankless water heater is a Great upgrade and freed up a lot of space. Tomorrow some electrical conduit clean up and move the furnace 4 feet with the water heater gone. Time to get my duct on!

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Surprised you didn't find Jimmy Hoffa down there digging...lol

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

A Long day of copper pipe and all new gas lines but we are back online and the old water heater is out. The tankless water heater is a Great upgrade and freed up a lot of space. Tomorrow some electrical conduit clean up and move the furnace 4 feet with the water heater gone. Time to get my duct on!

Which tankless did you go with? And because of our cold winters did you run a recirc line or storage tank to eliminate cold water sandwich? I’m a GC and love watching your progress on this project. Looks like you’re doing it right and not cutting corners. Nice job!

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Which tankless did you go with? And because of our cold winters did you run a recirc line or storage tank to eliminate cold water sandwich? I’m a GC and love watching your progress on this project. Looks like you’re doing it right and not cutting corners. Nice job!

I went with the Rinnai as it was the highest rated in every category. Cost a bit more but its built great. Never understand the water sandwich delay complaint. ALL water heaters have to clear the room temp water from the pipes till hot water is at the fixture? With the old water heater you would wait maybe 30 seconds to get hot water flowing, the tankless is almost the same time frame. Plus its only heating water when we need it unlike the 50 gallon boiler pot we had before. I could always add the recirc crossover valve if things change but for now I have no issues with the standard setup. As all plumbing is inside the house shouldn't matter where you live.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I went with the Rinnai as it was the highest rated in every category. Cost a bit more but its built great. Never understand the water sandwich delay complaint. ALL water heaters have to clear the room temp water from the pipes till hot water is at the fixture? With the old water heater you would wait maybe 30 seconds to get hot water flowing, the tankless is almost the same time frame. Plus its only heating water when we need it unlike the 50 gallon boiler pot we had before. I could always add the recirc crossover valve if things change but for now I have no issues with the standard setup. As all plumbing is inside the house shouldn't matter where you live.

I’ve experienced the sandwich when staying with family in a cold climate. It was jarring. Something to do with minimum flow rate and time to restart. I had adjusted the shower down for a moment and 30 seconds or so later got a shot of ice cold water in my shower for about 10 seconds. Woke me up real quick.

I don’t think its as much of a problem with newer units though.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I’ve experienced the sandwich when staying with family in a cold climate. It was jarring. Something to do with minimum flow rate and time to restart. I had adjusted the shower down for a moment and 30 seconds or so later got a shot of ice cold water in my shower for about 10 seconds. Woke me up real quick.
    I don’t think its as much of a problem with newer units though.

The cold water sandwich hasn't been a tankless factor that I'm aware of in well over a decade. I bought my first one for our previous house in 2005. No sandwich problem. Ditto for the one I installed in our current house in 2011.

#142 4 years ago

Busy no so fun weekend for me. Remove the old 50 gallon water heater and also decided to move the furnace with the new found 18 sq feet of space. Installed the tankless water heater and decided what the heck, let's redo All of the copper plumbing! Always fun. With new copper plumbing why stop there, I decided to repipe all the black pipe gas lines for funzies! With this new expanded game room and mini factory area I decided more power is needed. I ran a new 60 amp sub panel and decided at that point to redo many (all) of the conduit runs in the basement for a better ceiling clearance and to keep things neat. Nothing like pulling 6 gage wire with your wife at 8 am..... To celebrate the hectic weekend I managed to go pick up our theater Popperette popcorn machine fresh from restoration. A living room fixture for now but soon enough I hope to have the grandkids in line beggin for dimes. lol And oh yeah another weekend of literally flood stage rain so I was manning the pumps all weekend watching the drive in waterfall. Today, rebar footings placed and the final exit window footing framed. Add a few dump trucks of gravel and the drainage lines and we are getting closer yet. Lets hope this is the week....... Inspection and another concrete poor today so more pics to follow.

IMG_3443 (resized).jpgIMG_3443 (resized).jpgIMG_3444 (resized).jpgIMG_3444 (resized).jpgIMG_3446 (resized).jpgIMG_3446 (resized).jpgIMG_3447 (resized).jpgIMG_3447 (resized).jpg
    #143 4 years ago

Waiting for your 24x7 webcam install!

#144 4 years ago

More concrete for pads and an ejector pit per code installed and oh yeah, raining like a rain forest again and predicted for 4 days to go. Umphhhh. IF the footings make it the plan is to run the new sewer lines along the wall and finish framing and pouring the front and side windows. Still betting we will have a 60 day drought when this is done, just sayin. What happened to May Flowers dammit! Might finish up the final conduit runs in the old section tonight Or start working on the stair winch system in hopes to bring games down some day.

IMG_3448 (resized).jpegIMG_3448 (resized).jpeg
    #145 4 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

Waiting for your 24x7 webcam install!

Come on that would be boring. We only play pinball in the nude as empty nesters! lol

#146 4 years ago

Stair winch? No way to use the construction access hole?

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from 64bsstp:

Stair winch? No way to use the construction access hole?

Yeah, draggin my games down a mud slide into a wet construction zone won't work for me. Plus some day I hope to be able to remove them also.

#148 4 years ago

Actually, I was thinking of a concrete ramp. When my wife and I downsized 4 years ago there were two requirements for the new place: had to have natural gas and had to be a walkout!

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from 64bsstp:

Actually, I was thinking of a concrete ramp. When my wife and I downsized 4 years ago there were two requirements for the new place: had to have natural gas and had to be a walkout!

Ahh. No unfortunately the area I am in does not allow for ramps of that size and the property would not fit a walk out as we would be 10 feet underground. As we have manually done games down the stairs for years with a cart a winch system will more then cover our simple need and for only a few hundred dollars at best.

#150 4 years ago

Just noticed this thread, looks great!

I can't wait until my kids are all out of college and I'm an empty nester and can start doing cool stuff like this.

There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-room-underground-excavation-and-expansion-for-themodcouple/page/3?hl=canadianpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.