Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 474 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

85c74600a1925c9acefd7596a7ea5156b6bad245.gif.gif
    IMG_3803 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3802 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3795 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3794 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3793 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3792 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3791 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3790 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3789 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3788 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3787 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3785 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3784 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3783 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3782 (resized).jpeg
    There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
    #51 4 years ago

I realize it is a bit rude to ask, and with my apologies, but what is the ballpark range for the work?

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

As I said its really not that invasive. Like having hobbits under the house (with jack hammers). While not common throughout the US, having a basement in Chicago is fairly common. Technically if weather cooperated, they take only 14 days to pull this off.

Based on the way it appears to be done (section at a time), I would have thought the cure time for each section would have pushed it well beyond 14 days.

Of course, that just gets you to walls...then, the work really begins!

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I realize it is a bit rude to ask, and with my apologies, but what is the ballpark range for the work?

My guess is oh, 3 or 4 NIB games?

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

...Believe it or not this doesn't cost Anywhere near what an addition or raised addition would cost...

That's interesting, would have never thought going up was more expensive. I was going to ask why not build up.

#55 4 years ago

Dang Yelo! Did you consider just moving

That is a Reno right there. Congrats

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

That's interesting, would have never thought going up was more expensive. I was going to ask why not build up.

Going up is the definition of invasive. Going up means new roof, chimneys, plumbing, vents electric runs. etc etc. About 4 times the cost and you can't live onsite with no roof. Plus it adds another large stairwell to the primary floor. While not for everyones location this was easily justifiable to property value and space addition. While every site is different a project of this scale is roughly 50k. A lot of money but based on home values in the area the added 1000 sq feet will easily offset at resale should we ever leave. Unlike a pool, gold fixtures, or a heart shaped deck SQ footage is Rarely a poor investment to a property.

#57 4 years ago

Very cool project!!!

#58 4 years ago

Following. ...

#59 4 years ago

Yelobird
    “WOOHOOO!!! I FOUND A MOD MINE!!!”

99D57910-9837-4F20-9B9D-BA3CA6DA673A.jpeg99D57910-9837-4F20-9B9D-BA3CA6DA673A.jpeg
    #60 4 years ago
    Quoted from LordHelmet:

yelobird
    “WOOHOOO!!! I FOUND A MOD MINE!!!”[quoted image]

Lol no mod mine yet but a few Bumbles! As they have the weekend off I decided last minute the water heater was on the older side and taking up way to much space so going to have fun installing a direct vent tankless water heater. More weekend fun....

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Lol no mod mine yet but a few Bumbles! As they have the weekend off I decided last minute the water heater was on the older side and taking up way to much space so going to have fun installing a direct vent tankless water heater. More weekend fun....

Remember. Bumbles sink. You’ll like that tankless heater for sure.
    Great project can’t wait to see the results, what fun!

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The quote I got in Colorado for 500 square feet was $150,000-175,000.

#63 4 years ago

Interesting project for sure. Following.

#64 4 years ago

holy hell, that is a project. Wow.

#65 4 years ago

Madness.... I love it!

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sijcolo:

The quote I got in Colorado for 500 square feet was $150,000-175,000.

I suspect they really didn't want the job or your house is on a granite foundation. lol Most contractors are 1/3 that amount for triple the square footage. Granted I am talking about Creating a basement not making it drywall pretty. They are only making a bomb proof room made of concrete and windows. I am doing plumbing, HVAC, etc from that point. I am making a blacked out all gameroom so no fancy plaster or crown molding. Possibly your quote was for a turn key move in room.

#67 4 years ago

I was guessing around $100 sq foot, plus interior, but can see in other locations it going higher.

I believe the labor pool in by you is experienced, and there is competition.

Nobody doing basements here in Florida!

Look forward to the pics!
    Lookin Good!

#68 4 years ago

An absolutely entralling and interesting thread. Indeed for me I would put it as the most interesting thread of all time backed up by a humour within the posts which is just so well put. I congratulate you on your project and extend thks for the thread.

#69 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing your pinball addition. I’m quite interested to follow along.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Thanks for sharing your pinball addition. I’m quite interested to follow along.

Let me correct that; “thanks for sharing your pinball addiction”.

#71 4 years ago

This is pretty neat to see thanks for sharing. Honestly it makes me feel like a bitch with the stress and anxiety I had with doing my extension in my game room lol

#72 4 years ago

Looks like existing waste line exit is above the elevation of the new floor, true? Does it descend exterior to the house so you can bring it back in below the new floor or are you going to have to install a pump? Or is the plan for no bathroom in the lower level?

Fun thread - thanks for sharing.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#73 4 years ago

This thread and the photos have been GREAT to help illustrate to my wife what is in store for her in the next 4-6 months... thanks!!

#74 4 years ago

Very cool Yelo I think you live in my brothers neighbor hood. I think I drove by your house while some of this was going on. And I was thinking... I wonder if that guy is into pinball. Lol

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Looks like existing waste line exit is above the elevation of the new floor, true? Does it descend exterior to the house so you can bring it back in below the new floor or are you going to have to install a pump? Or is the plan for no bathroom in the lower level?
    Fun thread - thanks for sharing.
    -Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

Good eye. Yes the new basement is well below the waste line to sewer. That line will be turned up to save space and later in the thread we decided to add a small bathroom to the other basement area using a Saniflow macerator pump system. Didn’t need the bathroom but it seemed wise with all the game area and no facilities. Have all the equipment on hang and the install is rather simple with a 1” pvc line tap. Definitely the last this on my list but the list is growing. As is the game collection. I decided to take the game room to a museum direction. Kind of a playable trip through time. Currently I have coin op games from 1910, 1920, 1930, etc to present. I’ve been collecting rare and unique pieces so our kids and guests can see how coin op and pinball have progressed. Tough search but fun to find. Here are a few crazy fun games awaiting the game room. Even found a beautiful Genco Motorama driver!

212AC1BB-9B41-4A19-8FF5-5365CB74BCB4 (resized).jpeg212AC1BB-9B41-4A19-8FF5-5365CB74BCB4 (resized).jpeg27524802-52CB-4E47-9D3D-7F75374F0606 (resized).jpeg27524802-52CB-4E47-9D3D-7F75374F0606 (resized).jpeg9EAEC398-D962-4A63-95A6-AC62B31B3AE2 (resized).jpeg9EAEC398-D962-4A63-95A6-AC62B31B3AE2 (resized).jpegACEBC6D0-F6D2-4FEE-8BF0-5CB4811F8B0E (resized).jpegACEBC6D0-F6D2-4FEE-8BF0-5CB4811F8B0E (resized).jpegB5DBEDCA-DBE9-4975-85B5-DAE19A298868 (resized).jpegB5DBEDCA-DBE9-4975-85B5-DAE19A298868 (resized).jpegD4E3A3D1-E124-45D0-89C7-6B3E831449BC (resized).jpegD4E3A3D1-E124-45D0-89C7-6B3E831449BC (resized).jpegDB6F2730-EDDD-4D26-8930-808DF5860335 (resized).jpegDB6F2730-EDDD-4D26-8930-808DF5860335 (resized).jpeg
    #76 4 years ago

Yea, I've found when one posts a picture that Pinsiders can find the craziest of details. It's not a problem; rather a demonstration of the diversity of thinking we each bring to the community - so really it's kinda cool.

Second picture in post #75 helps exemplify a thought I omitted from the previous post because I couldn't easily describe. Looking at your fortress walls downstairs I noticed they won't be floor-to-ceiling and wondered if that space could be usable ... something like that display shelf behind the machines in the picture. Maybe lighting the room by fixtures in that space so you don't have the overhead light can problem that so many of us face in our basements.

Your timeline-based theme sounds neat. Also interesting is how the tastes of game themes has changed - your pics include hockey, basketball, baseball, and bowling. Nowadays the themes primarily seem to be bands and movies/TV. Interesting to try to interpret for a larger societal understanding...

Pinside use tip: when I post pictures I try to add text to the 'caption=' tag so people can more meaningfully reference the picture. If you type nothing hovering over the picture just gives the server's filename; with a caption hovering gives the text you type.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Yea, I've found when one posts a picture that Pinsiders can find the craziest of details. It's not a problem; rather a demonstration of the diversity of thinking we each bring to the community - so really it's kinda cool.
    Second picture in post #75 helps exemplify a thought I omitted from the previous post because I couldn't easily describe. Looking at your fortress walls downstairs I noticed they won't be floor-to-ceiling and wondered if that space could be usable ... something like that display shelf behind the machines in the picture. Maybe lighting the room by fixtures in that space so you don't have the overhead light can problem that so many of us face in our basements.
    Your timeline-based theme sounds neat. Also interesting is how the tastes of game themes has changed - your pics include hockey, basketball, baseball, and bowling. Nowadays the themes primarily seem to be bands and movies/TV. Interesting to try to interpret for a larger societal understanding...
    Pinside use tip: when I post pictures I try to add text to the 'caption=' tag so people can more meaningfully reference the picture. If you type nothing hovering over the picture just gives the server's filename; with a caption hovering gives the text you type.
    -Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

Every inch will be used. Including that edge mostly for storage and display.

#78 4 years ago

Fantastic thread and I will be eagerly following! I'm in the middle of the same (but topside) and LOVE your approach!
    Nice plan, will be a nice space when completed - keep the pics coming

#79 4 years ago

Having been through my own house transformation for a game room build, I’m very interested in following this.

I love the museum idea (my original plan was for a history of pinball showcasing games through the eras), but think about keeping space for some non-arcade related fun. We changed direction and added a board game / conversation area, bar and theater (convertible to a bedroom). 3/4 bath and extra storage/work space.

Cool thread.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Having been through my own house transformation for a game room build, I’m very interested in following this.
    I love the museum idea (my original plan was for a history of pinball showcasing games through the eras), but think about keeping space for some non-arcade related fun. We changed direction and added a board game / conversation area, bar and theater (convertible to a bedroom). 3/4 bath and extra storage/work space.
    Cool thread.

Funny great minds think alike. While I don't really drink I was convinced a bar was a Must have and my compromise was a movie theater with 12' screen for the grandkids. The bathroom was planned years ago just never seen the need till now. I will however steal your idea of a convertible sofa/bed in the theater over theater seats so the room is more multipurpose! Everything will be rather low key to some of the upscale home arcades I have seen but we think it will prove to be a great place to share and enjoy. Picked up some tables for the Mame tabletop and video poker machine. Need to show off some of the games that almost killed pinball....

#81 4 years ago

Not much of an update. Ran the new tankless water heater today after boring 4" holes in the side of the house. Just some simple copper work and I am ready to switch over. Also picked up a 1500 lb winch system for a stair track system I am going to install to ease the effort in bringing these games in and out. With 40 games going down soon I though Now would be a good time to get creative as we are getting further from young....

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Not much of an update.

There will be when the concrete floor is in and cops go in and dig it out. Your referencing not finding bodies wasn't missed. What better place to hide a body than where there wasn't one.

LTG : )

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

There will be when the concrete floor is in and cops go in and dig it out. Your referencing not finding bodies wasn't missed. What better place to hide a body than where there wasn't one.
    LTG : )

Hey, its the Chicago way right! Fingers crossed the weather holds out and floors are in by Friday!!! As of late Chicago became a mix of Seattle and the everglades. Crazy pain in the butt. Still need to find a Punchy the Clown for the kids (who's kidding its for me.)

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Not much of an update. Ran the new tankless water heater today after boring 4" holes in the side of the house. Just some simple copper work and I am ready to switch over. Also picked up a 1500 lb winch system for a stair track system I am going to install to ease the effort in bringing these games in and out. With 40 games going down soon I though Now would be a good time to get creative as we are getting further from young....

Like this one ?

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

ake only 14 days to pull this off.

Now THAT is insane. It took me like 40 days just to install wood parquet flooring and marble tile in a tiny condo.

*edit* Your basement expansion is 155% bigger than my entire house, man.

#86 4 years ago

This is awesome. Just wanted to follow along.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

As I said its really not that invasive. Like having hobbits under the house (with jack hammers). While not common throughout the US, having a basement in Chicago is fairly common. Technically if weather cooperated, they take only 14 days to pull this off.

Are you just referring to the actual dig and concrete pour, or the whole build-out?

#88 4 years ago

This is AMAZING!! Do your neighbors hate you yet?

#89 4 years ago

Damn, you take this shit serious
    Impressive and ambitious project!

#90 4 years ago

It was ruff for me today to put the top ramen in the hot water

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Are you just referring to the actual dig and concrete pour, or the whole build-out?

I mean in 14 days there is a 1000 sq foot room with windows that wasn’t there. Not including all the finish work epoxy floors, electrical runs, and HVAC updates. All in all not that long compared to most additions from my experience. Helps that I did home renovation and construction in the past so the secondary work is rather easy.

#92 4 years ago

This is serious dedication! I love it!

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Just pave the construction ramp & install some double doors, to make a walk out basement. And the ramp gives you an extra parking space!
    (The heck with what the neighbors think.)

#94 4 years ago

Will this expansion be offered as a mod on your website?
    I might have to put this in my cart!

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I mean in 14 days there is a 1000 sq foot room with windows that wasn’t there. Not including all the finish work epoxy floors, electrical runs, and HVAC updates. All in all not that long compared to most additions from my experience. Helps that I did home renovation and construction in the past so the secondary work is rather easy.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok THAT makes more sense

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Like this one ?

This is how the pyramids were built.

#97 4 years ago

Impressive

#98 4 years ago

this IS impressive. Following for the wonder of it all!

#99 4 years ago

Quite impressive and crazy at the same time. I'm marking this post to show my wife when she thinks I'm taking thinks a little far with wanting to add another game. Good luck and cannot wait to see how it all turns out.

Thanks for your help

#100 4 years ago

That's impressive. I had an idea people did stuff like this, but never have seen it documented or how it is done.

pmWolf did something kind of similar and has it documented here:
    https://mathisarcade.wordpress.com/construction/
    His project is really cool, but I have to say that doing the same thing under the house really amazing.

There are 474 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-room-underground-excavation-and-expansion-for-themodcouple/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.