(Topic ID: 299049)

Sorcerer's Apprentice: New Game Revealed by Multimorphic!

By solarvalue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SA_NWE_CODE_1.0.3.0_HD (resized).jpg
IMG_20211028_150109 (resized).jpg
1stWorld[1] (resized).jpg
PXL_20211023_001123268.MP[1] (resized).jpg
SA_NEW_CODE_HD-R2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2728 (resized).jpg
SA-Reveal (resized).jpg
89E0B5B2-2484-4910-B66E-7F3874149959.jpeg
200w.gif
Waiting (resized).png
image (resized).png
4 (resized).png
5 (resized).png
3 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
2 (resized).png
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 2 years ago

Little concerned listening to Gerry say that each game you have to take the same path to reach the objectives in the same order.
That's why i sold Pinball Magic. Great game but the same objectives in the same order every ball is not fun.

#52 2 years ago

You can tackle learning any spell in any order.

#53 2 years ago

^THAT

Game is pretty dope and the CCR playfield is nice and fast

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Little concerned listening to Gerry say that each game you have to take the same path to reach the objectives in the same order.
That's why i sold Pinball Magic. Great game but the same objectives in the same order every ball is not fun.

It's really not like Pinball Magic at all. I thought I was going to love that game, but I hated it - there's never been a more linear game. This one is NOTHING at all like it.

#55 2 years ago

Can see this being an expensive bait for me, more i hear the more excited i am.

I'm already cancelling LZ to pay for it, but may have to cancell Elvira too.

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Can see this being an expensive bait for me, more i hear the more excited i am.
I'm already cancelling LZ to pay for it, but may have to cancell Elvira too.

Er… hang on, we should talk. The P3 is awesome, unrivalled, and possibly unstoppable at this point - but everyone is upping their game. Elvira is one of the best games in 20+ years, and may be Lyman Sheats’ swan song (see what I did there?)

#57 2 years ago

Yeah, i understand, all though i've never played one. If it's half as good as Deadpool it'll be outstanding.

I'll see where my funds are at at the end of the year, which is when i'll be asked to pay for them.

Thinking this P3 is going to soak up most of my pinball budget for the next few years at least. I also have a Haggis Mermaid ordered, so there may be some hard decisions on what to keep and what i can live without. Have a 51 Williams woody Control Tower on it's way to me as we speak as well.

I do have a few machines here i don't really want. Have two Gottliebs here and i'm not a Gottlieb guy.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yeah, i understand, all though i've never played one. If it's half as good as Deadpool it'll be outstanding.
I'll see where my funds are at at the end of the year, which is when i'll be asked to pay for them.
Thinking this P3 is going to soak up most of my pinball budget for the next few years at least. I also have a Haggis Mermaid ordered, so there may be some hard decisions on what to keep and what i can live without. Have a 51 Williams woody Control Tower on it's way to me as we speak as well.
I do have a few machines here i don't really want. Have two Gottliebs here and i'm not a Gottlieb guy.

It’ll work out. The P3, even if you don’t like half the games - the rest are great! Up to you which ones you like best.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Shipping a pin to Australia is always expensive. But at least with a playfield module it's a whole lot cheaper than a regular pin to bring across. So maybe take the time to work out what you want, preferences and what you can afford. You can always but a module later and have it shipped over - it won't eat into your budget anywhere near as much as a full machine when you do.

PS if we ever get out of lockdown and you want to travel to Vic you're welcome to play mine - sounds like you'll get yours way before our lockdown ends though.

#60 2 years ago

I’m really enjoying SA and looking forward to tomorrow’s stream. I somehow lost my saved progress, so starting over obtaining the spells.
But once you have them, the modes are really cool! I’m sure I’m just scratching the surface. Expecting to learn more of the rules from Kevin and Gerry tomorrow night.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

I’m really enjoying SA and looking forward to tomorrow’s stream. I somehow lost my saved progress, so starting over obtaining the spells.

Looks like we introduced a bug when adding a new P3 framework feature that only SA uses so far. It affects restoring a saved state and then saving it again (regardless of whether it's the saved to the same name or a different one). We'll get an update out after addressing a couple more issues.

Quoted from RebelGuitars:

But once you have them, the modes are really cool! I’m sure I’m just scratching the surface. Expecting to learn more of the rules from Kevin and Gerry tomorrow night.

I'll be chatting with Kevin on stream, so bring your questions!

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#62 2 years ago

Even though I’ve been busting SA for a few days now (finally got BOTH Fire and Ice in a game!! Lol), I’m psyched for the livestream. MM keeps next-leveling…

#63 2 years ago

Can't wait for the stream, great for those of us who don't have a P3 yet.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Can't wait for the stream, great for those of us who don't have a P3 yet.

Or the ccr playfield! I can’t wait to watch either!

#65 2 years ago

Going live shortly with the Sorcerer's Apprentice stream! http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#66 2 years ago

#67 2 years ago

Vid is uploading to YouTube now, will share that link when it's ready. In the meantime you can check out the archive on Twitch here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1134635812

#68 2 years ago

Great stream last night Kevin and Gerry!

#69 2 years ago

Yup, very good stream and cool looking game.

#70 2 years ago

YouTube vid is up. Here's the link!

#71 2 years ago

Great job with the stream, Kevin, and thanks to everybody for tuning in. There were some great questions in chat.

- Gerry

#72 2 years ago

Watched the first 20 mins or so yesti. Gotta say the game looks pitched above my skill level. Having to make 3 or 4 shots in 15 secs or so multiple times to achieve stuff would be most likely be beyond me and just doesn't seem like fun to me.
Don't get me wrong, i like hurryups, but that's too hard looking for a below average player.

I like hit and hope too, but there's gotta be some hope.

The game sure is pretty though.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Watched the first 20 mins or so yesti. Gotta say the game looks pitched above my skill level. Having to make 3 or 4 shots in 15 secs or so multiple times to achieve stuff would be most likely be beyond me and just doesn't seem like fun to me.
Don't get me wrong, i like hurryups, but that's too hard looking for a below average player.

I thought so too, I'm not a great player - but I already had the game, so I kept trying...

Turns out you just have to strategize and hit the "add time" shots first. Kevin's way too good of a player so he's nailing most stuff on the first try, makes it look easy/hard

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

The game is tough for sure! After viewing last night and hearing Gerry talk about the ending, I'm pretty sure I'll never beat the Sorcerer. That said, the individual modes are not *that* difficult. Each one lets you add time (15 sec?) by hitting the captive ball. As long as the timer is under 15 seconds remaining, I believe this can be done indefinitely. Modes are still not a gimme, but it makes them totally fair in my opinion.

Once it gets to the 2-spell modes, things get tougher. I think these are super cool, but you need to be able to switch the spell with the other buttons. Kevin was doing some next-level spell switching last night. I typically go for most/all of the first spell, then switch to the other spell and finish them off. And don't even get me started on using the shield amongst all of this. It definitely requires some finger gymnastics, but is a really novel concept that I'm digging for sure.

My only complaint about the game is that everything is gated by the same 3 basic modes. So, you end up playing these modes ALL the time, and don't get to play the 2-spell modes nearly as often. I really wish there were 2 versions of each of the base spell modes to add some variety. I think the entry-level spell modes are fun and well done, but I'll end up playing them so often that I can see getting tired of them. It would be cool if there were two varieties of Fire, Ice, and Lightning to mix things up. Switching between which base spell mode you got would really add some longevity to the early game. I guess eventually I might create a save point where I've collected the 3 spells, but I don't love the idea of needing to do this just to skip something repetitive.

Other than this complaint, I'm really LOVING this game. Very, very well done.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The game is tough for sure! After viewing last night and hearing Gerry talk about the ending, I'm pretty sure I'll never beat the Sorcerer. That said, the individual modes are not *that* difficult. Each one lets you add time (15 sec?) by hitting the captive ball. As long as the timer is under 15 seconds remaining, I believe this can be done indefinitely. Modes are still not a gimme, but it makes them totally fair in my opinion.
Once it gets to the 2-spell modes, things get tougher. I think these are super cool, but you need to be able to switch the spell with the other buttons. Kevin was doing some next-level spell switching last night. I typically go for most/all of the first spell, then switch to the other spell and finish them off. And don't even get me started on using the shield amongst all of this. It definitely requires some finger gymnastics, but is a really novel concept that I'm digging for sure.
My only complaint about the game is that everything is gated by the same 3 basic modes. So, you end up playing these modes ALL the time, and don't get to play the 2-spell modes nearly as often. I really wish there were 2 versions of each of the base spell modes to add some variety. I think the entry-level spell modes are fun and well done, but I'll end up playing them so often that I can see getting tired of them. It would be cool if there were two varieties of Fire, Ice, and Lightning to mix things up. Switching between which base spell mode you got would really add some longevity to the early game. I guess eventually I might create a save point where I've collected the 3 spells, but I don't love the idea of needing to do this just to skip something repetitive.
Other than this complaint, I'm really LOVING this game. Very, very well done.

Saving your progression is perfect for this game so you don't have to collect the 3 spells every time (plus your shield). You get to then play anything else in the game you want. That's when it really starts getting fun. And challenging!! Looking forward to the plastic set Gerry mentioned being made for it. Going to rewatch the stream to see what other tips I can pick up.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Had no idea there was an actual term for my style of play...

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Having to make 3 or 4 shots in 15 secs or so multiple times to achieve stuff

All but one or two of the 16 main spell modes defaults to either 45s or 60s, usually for 3 or 4 shots. The hardest one (IMO) is the learn ice spell, which gives you 15s to hit *each* shot. I think that's the one you're referring to? Hit one and the timer resets. So it's still 45s for 3 shots, but the short per-shot timer is pretty intense.

Tip: Stack Black Magic Multiball onto a mode, and the timers go away (the mode continues until you complete it or until MB ends). That's a huge advantage for the Learn Ice mode.

There are a bunch of operator settings for mode timers and other things. If the defaults are too difficult or not fun, change them. Set the options however you want so that the game's fun for you.

Quoted from Cheeks:

The game is tough for sure! After viewing last night and hearing Gerry talk about the ending, I'm pretty sure I'll never beat the Sorcerer.

There are settings for sorcerer battle too. Well, there were. Looks like we hid those when releasing, but Greg and I just talked, and we'll unhide them in the next release. That'll let you adjust the things like the time length between sorcerer attacks and the damage each of you inflict on the other. Then you can make the sorcerer battle easier, and you can always make it harder again after beating him a couple of times.

We're working on a couple of issues reported by customers. So we'll likely have a new release pretty soon. Among a few other subtle things, we're adding a ball save for the right ramp releases and fixing a bug related to failed launches. Oh, and a save state bug. Currently if you save, restore, and save again, it'll corrupt your save point. That's already fixed here and will be in the next release.

Quoted from Cheeks:

It would be cool if there were two varieties of Fire, Ice, and Lightning to mix things up.

Cool idea. We'll discuss.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Kevin was doing some next-level spell switching last night.

No kidding. He made it look like he didn't even have to think about it! That's some impressive muscle memory.

Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm really LOVING this game. Very, very well done.

Thank you! Thanks for your comments on stream about the good price/value of the game.

- Gerry

#78 2 years ago

One thing I really enjoyed in the stream was the explanations of the fire / ice / lightning and why the modes were programmed with the rules they have (fire is persistent, ice melts, lightning moves around), and the whole process of making the game. Fantastic release

#79 2 years ago

Need CCR but until then I will be rewatching the stream on YT and hoping someone else streams!

#80 2 years ago

SA fans: We're going to add more voice callouts in a future update. Toyguy offered an initial recommendation for a new insult, and we'd like to run with the idea that all of you can participate in the brainstorming.

So... let's hear all of your favorite callout ideas for SA. We'd like to add some theme-relevant insults and also some additional variations of any others you think need more variations. This should be fun!

Please list your callouts here. Just list the quote and where you think it should be used:
eg (from @Toyguy): "You have the accuracy of a blind goat herder" : After not hitting anything for a while.

Just please take it seriously... don't suggest silly things you don't think would fit, and please refrain from using profanity. Do suggest things that will enhance your immersion while playing.

We'll take inputs for about a week. Then we'll filter the list and have Ryan record them.

- Gerry

#81 2 years ago

Great idea Gerry, to allow the community to pitch their own callout ideas.

Here's a quick idea for a drain or failed shot:

"I should invent a spell that makes you less incompetent"

To me, the Sorcerer sounds like Frank Welker's Dr Claw from Inspector Gadget. Not the voice I was expecting for a Sorcerer, but fun and well performed.

#82 2 years ago

Great idea!
I will load that module and I am sure I can come up with some good ones,I do agree on the voice it self,not what I would have gone with but it grows on you and it’s well done!

When I was a kid we always used this line,it might be funny when or if you beat the sorcerer

“May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arm pits”

I don’t know why I find it so funny!it has to be said correctly to really be effective!

#83 2 years ago

What a cool idea for user engagement !

Hey I’d be happy to record callouts for any future idea

I do not envy who has to dig through Pinside threads to find all these quotes haha

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

“May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arm pits”
I don’t know why I find it so funny!it has to be said correctly to really be effective!

Hahahahha I laughed aloud when I read this

#85 2 years ago

Oops, originally posted these in the wrong thread.

Insult ideas:

Everyone makes mistakes, but you're really abusing the privilege.

If having bad aim was a crime, you'd already be sentenced to death.

Somewhere there's a village searching for their idiot.

Did someone teach you how to miss as a joke?

You know you’re supposed to *HIT* the arrows, not avoid them, right?

Should I be using smaller words so you can understand?

At first I thought you were just bad at this, now I wonder if you’re actually trying.

You remind me of what I left in the chamber pot last night.

It's pointless to insult you, because you'll die before you figure it out.

I heard you were terrible, but I had no idea it could get this bad.

How do I put this so even you will understand…you stink at this!

Do you need to move closer, or are you going keep trying from there?

Your aim is so poor I’m going to hold a charity festival for it.

You couldn't hit the broad side of a camel.

#86 2 years ago

I got em' added to our review list.

#87 2 years ago

We've got a great list of quotes to consider. Please keep them coming for a few more days.

No new quotes will be in the next maintenance release, but we'll get them in in the following release.

I absolutely love some of the suggestions!

- Gerry

#88 2 years ago

We're taking quote suggestions through the weekend. So get your remaining ideas in soon!

We'll review on Monday, decide on a final list, and then get them recorded.

- Gerry

#89 2 years ago

1.0.1.5: 09-13-2021
<Requires CCR module driver 2.3.1.0+>
- Added: Operator setting to stop Learn Fire mode from resetting its state when re-entering
- Added: Various operator settings for sorcerer battle
- Added: Operator setting for hits required to defeat a bandit
- Added: Subsequent shots to workshop ramp wards now drop the ball immediately
- Added: Attacking the sorcerer while he's preparing to cast his own spell will reduce his power by 50%
- Added: Short ball save on right ramp ward/magnet releases
- Added: Logic to select a different name for bandit and sorcerer if the current player profile name matches the selected name
- Fixed: Ball count got out of sync when launches to the ramp failed
- Fixed: Saving additional progress on a restored state would corrupt the game status
- Fixed: Bazaar Ice/Lightning balls getting stuck on the right ramp / required spell not changing to lightning
- Fixed: Low health sfx/callouts not playing correctly
- Fixed: Backbox player health during sorcerer battle not intializing properly
- Fixed: Mismatched chest/gem animations on BB vs playfield LCD
- Fixed: Cancelling out of "add player with profile" left the feature menu in a bad state
- Fixed: BMMB spell graphic not being removed after BMMB ends
- Fixed: Confusing description of operator setting that allows white buttons to rotate the potion lane
- Fixed: Bandit Thwarted bonus was carrying over across games
- Fixed: Modes not fully ending when entering service mode during gameplay
- Fixed: Long profile names overlapping other fields in the apron LCD
- Fixed: Long profile names overlapping big scores in game summary
- Fixed: Profile settings were appearing too far down the screen
- Fixed: Team game text slightly overlapped the score box in the apron LCD
- Fixed: Flippers getting stuck up during twitch-connect invert flippers attack
- Fixed: Activating shield no longer gives 3 points

Be sure to update both the app and module driver!

Note - this update does not have any new callouts. Those will come later.

Enjoy!
- Gerry

SA_NEW_CODE_HD-R2 (resized).jpgSA_NEW_CODE_HD-R2 (resized).jpg

#90 2 years ago

Great update. Loving this game! Once you get your three spells and shield, the game really opens up.

1 week later
#91 2 years ago

Got to play Sorcerer's Apprentice along with Heist today.

I'm actually digging the graphics, voice work, and game play on SA.
Heist is fun; but for some reason SA is really clicking with me.
Not sure if is the wizard or reverberating voice acting or the combo which makes me want it.

Now, I have to decide which to buy first.

4 weeks later
#92 2 years ago

We'll have Sorcerer's Apprentice and Heist (and we'll swap to others) at Expo next week. Hope to see you there!

- Gerry

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

We'll have Sorcerer's Apprentice and Heist (and we'll swap to others) at Expo next week. Hope to see you there!
- Gerry

I know you guys are the experts, but I HIGHLY recommend ensuring you have a safe place to put the glass when removing playfields - that was the number 1 time suck for us at the York show recently. Good luck!!!! Your upper body will be sore on the 2nd day

#94 2 years ago

We gotta get to work on that telescopically retracting glass...

- Gerry

#95 2 years ago

Virtual laser glass. And a hoverboard too please.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I know you guys are the experts, but I HIGHLY recommend ensuring you have a safe place to put the glass when removing playfields - that was the number 1 time suck for us at the York show recently. Good luck!!!! Your upper body will be sore on the 2nd day

I have tile floor in my basement now, but i've collected the 3d printed glass corner holders. PBL has them or there is an open file you can print yourself. And I leave them in all my games. It is scary when you don't have a good place to put glass! Common problem when I repair on route.....

#97 2 years ago

Can you post the link for.3d file?

#98 2 years ago
#99 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have tile floor in my basement now, but i've collected the 3d printed glass corner holders. PBL has them or there is an open file you can print yourself. And I leave them in all my games. It is scary when you don't have a good place to put glass! Common problem when I repair on route.....

Op's put the galss down on an upturned lockdown bar. just saying....

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Those corner things were invaluable! Our issue was just an awkward place on the floor and having to walk all the way around the machines to put the glass down. Not the end of the world but made swaps take a lot longer

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 20.00
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-reveal-monday-from-multimorphic/page/2?hl=amsnl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.