Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5932 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fryeguy7.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Can someone break down how new game pricing has generally been in the past compared to now. This is not for price bashing or anything like that. I am just curious how much a new Stern in 2000-2004 looked compared to now. Were there always different models and were they always priced around 5-7 grand. I am looking at my first new in box this year and just wondered what I could have bought just 10 years ago.

Thanks

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. Kind of a cool history lesson on how things have evolved in recent years.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

All prices were delivered to my door.
    These are what I have saved in my emails. Just a few...
    LOTR 3450
    TSPP 3485
    POTC 3840
    FGY 3840
    S-M 3840
    IJ4 3840
    BDK 3840
    CSI 4149
    24 4149
    IM 4149

Thanks for sharing. Neat to see how the prices have changed. New cars as mentioned above are much more expensive in this short time as well. Maybe the 5,000 pro will seem like a cheap deal in ten years.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball4life:

One other reason for the price run up, from someone that has been selling pins for 35 plus years... Up until a few years ago Stern sold a lot of pins to the operator market, but that has all but gone away. With those sales nearly gone, there is lower volume now in just home sales. I hate it that they have different versions of the same game now, but it shows how much they cater and focus on the home market. This would have been unheard of back around when Lord of the Rings was made....the coin op distributors would not have supported this business model for the most part. Amazing how much things have changed in a short time. I feel like a dinosaur!
    The first game I ever sold in any kind of volume, brand new in the box, was Data East's Batman. I believe we got around $2600 for them. I laugh at all the supposed HUO games that are for sale. Very, very few Williams games were sold to the home market in the box, even up to their last game Cactus Canyon. I don't recall ever selling a new in the box game and Batman only sold for me because I loved the game and knew I could "sell" it. Their was much more profit in selling used pins back then, so that was another reason most of us didn't try and sell games new in the box to the home market. And the home market was very, very small then. No way you could make a good living specializing in home sales back then....now you could never survive only selling pins to operators! Also, the max you could get for just about any game to the home market was around $2500, and that is still true today unless you are dealing with a client that already has a collection, or someone that buys new. The average dad that wants a pin for bis family will still only spend in the low 2's.

Thank you for giving some perspective. I love to hear how the industry works/worked.

#18 10 years ago

Crazy! I am in the minority that would like to find a Popeye, but that is just nuts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fryeguy7.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-pricing-now-vs-then?tu=fryeguy7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.