Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5932 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chambahz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, Stern had essentially 100% price inflation in less than 10 years, and the quality is reduced in that same timeframe.

Quoted from Mike_J:

Prices way up and quality way down.

You guys need to get out more. Currently there are WAY more issues with AFMr and Dialed In than all the Stern games combined.
    The last unresolved issues for Stern games that I’m aware of is a very slight (but numerous) insert ghosting GoT, and a routed StarWars playfield. Am I missing any?

Compare that with everyone on the AMF remake thread or the Dialed In thread.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You're missing a LOT of relatively recent Stern issues. Splitting cabinets, display problems with the LED display, Node board failures galore (two service bulletins to try to address the most widespread issues), general early component failure of coils, etc out of the box, general QA issues like the GB scoop that was getting electrified and taking out the node board because the light leads were right on top of the scoop, cheaper cabinet wood, cheaper playfield wood that dimples more (confirmed by someone with a density checker)...I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but there's a pretty substantial list. Overall more than JJP or CGC by quite a margin, and mostly attributed to ill-advised cost reduction. Not sure about the AMF bowling game you're talking about, but probably that, too.

If you say so.
    As I’ve said ad nauseum: I’ll take these “issues” far more seriously when real people with unresolved issues make posts about Stern not addressing QC issues. Not so much when a select few Pinsiders keep chirping that the sky is falling.
    That IS what’s happening in the JJP Dialed thread (Cliffy told me himself recently that he is making almost nothing but protectors for Dialed In, lately) and the AFM thread -the good news being that they’ve supposedly shipped out replacement chips that will prevent boards from burning out.
    Real owners with real QC issues.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I didn't say the issues weren't being addressed by Stern. By and large they are (cabinet wood and possibly playfield wood excepted), as are CGC and JJP. I'm not sure what your point is. All the stuff I listed is documented here on Pinside, and Stern has the MOST issues, as expected due to their volume and aggressive cost-cutting.

I guess my point is this: you go ahead and find all the current Stern owners with issues.
    Then let’s compare them to the Dialed In owners with problems, and the AFM owners with problems.
    I’ll bet Stern owners with issues are far fewer despite Stern pins being produced in far greater numbers.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

But that misses the actual issue - that the problems with Sterns recently due to cost-cutting absolutely dwarfs any niggles from JJP and CGC machines. Sterns have doubled in price in 10 years while noticeably declining in build quality. All three have clearcoat issues, so that's a wash. But Stern's other issues like cabinet splitting, ghosting, node board failures, etc are much more serious than JJP/CGC, with the exception of WoZ light board issues, which JJP handled, even for 2nd and 3rd owners years after the warranty was up.
    We have pins from all three on the route I help with and Sterns are by far the crappiest made. They ooze cheap at every turn now, but they cost almost as much as JJP/CGC for the Prem/LEs. It's crazy.

While I do value the fact that you are now bringing some sort of evidence to help make your point, I’m still not seeing numerous posts on here indicating that other Stern owners are having the same issues. Very few, in fact.
    I wonder if they are just not holding up as well when routed, being treated tougher than owners do when playing pins in their personal collection.
    What concerns me as a buyer more than anything, is the security of knowing if a manufacturer will replace anything defective. That certainly is different from an operator who is losing money every time they are waiting for a replacement part.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chambahz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-pricing-now-vs-then?tu=Chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.