Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi, I am following up from a question a few months ago. I ended up getting the Star Trek Pro Vault. Great game, happy. (a couple things I wish, but great game).

Now I need another. I have a High Speed I really like. But it is getting older, worn. I have it playing reasonably well. What I want is a machine to add that has a similar playing feel. I like Steve Ritchie games. The High Speed is awesome for ripping spinners. Something about that is really satisfying. And I like the upper flipper for the money shot, hitting the last traffic light, and even backhand into the hole. The Star Trek doesn't have that, more of a ramp game. I tried BKSOW, AIQ, LZ, and a few others. None of them had the ripping spinner aspect I am looking for. I also like drop targets, so if someone can suggest games to try, I am grateful!

Cheers,

Jeff

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

Hi, I am following up from a question a few months ago. I ended up getting the Star Trek Pro Vault. Great game, happy. (a couple things I wish, but great game).
    Now I need another. I have a High Speed I really like. But it is getting older, worn. I have it playing reasonably well. What I want is a machine to add that has a similar playing feel. I like Steve Ritchie games. The High Speed is awesome for ripping spinners. Something about that is really satisfying. And I like the upper flipper for the money shot, hitting the last traffic light, and even backhand into the hole. The Star Trek doesn't have that, more of a ramp game. I tried BKSOW, AIQ, LZ, and a few others. None of them had the ripping spinner aspect I am looking for. I also like drop targets, so if someone can suggest games to try, I am grateful!
    Cheers,
    Jeff

MET Pre/LE - Spinners, inline drops, metal ramps, bash toys, and lots more

#3 2 years ago

Spinners and Drop Targets? 1981 Bally's are calling for you.....

#4 2 years ago

No Fear for the WIN!!!

#5 2 years ago

Meteor, Skateball, Flight 2000, Alien Poker, Blackout, and lots more with great spinner rips. or rebuild your high speed with a hardtop!

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

But it is getting older, worn.

Is it actually developing more wear?

What do you usually do to maintain it? Are you cleaning & waxing? Are you replacing the balls regularly?

#7 2 years ago

Excellent!! I like telling people what to like and buy.

#8 2 years ago

Stern Big Game, 2 great spinner shots and lots of drops

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Wish I could find one of these

#10 2 years ago

I recommend checking out Hot Wheels by American Pinball. Plays fast and fun. 2 drop targets, 2 spinners.

-Michael at AP

#11 2 years ago

LZ premium. Steve Ritchie at his best. EM spinner rips!

#12 2 years ago

World Poker Tour is a different style Ritchie game...lots of depth to it and has nice spinners and lots of drop targets. It’s more stop and go but I really like the shots.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from damadczar:

and classic Sterns.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

Cheers,
    Jeff

For spinner and drops, Deadpool premium. It has sweet spinner rules, and the premium has a freaking cool looping ramp return that gives you the opportunity to keep ripping that spinner. It also has the Wolverine spinner shot that goes nuts when you get wolverine berserker rage and lil Deadpool frenzy going. The drops on DP are pretty sweet with good rules mixed in that can change shot trajectory often.

Downside to Deadpool is it’s not a Steve Ritchie flow fest. Deadpool is more precision flow and shot accuracy can be much more random.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is it actually developing more wear?
    What do you usually do to maintain it? Are you cleaning & waxing? Are you replacing the balls regularly?

It needs a play field. Wood showing in many places (was that way when I rescued it).

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from damadczar:

I do want a NIB game, so what new can you recommend?

#17 2 years ago

Ironman has 3 spinners. No drops, but lots of standups.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

LZ premium. Steve Ritchie at his best. EM spinner rips!

Thanks, the LZ I tried was Pro. I liked it, but the upper flipper didn't have much to aim for. I'll try to find one to test drive.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Excellent!! I like telling people what to like and buy.

An opinion will do...

One thing I noticed is many of the new games are so cluttered...AIQ for example. I liked it, wanted to like it more, but just cluttered.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

It needs a play field. Wood showing in many places (was that way when I rescued it).

Hardtop FTW!

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

An opinion will do...
    One thing I noticed is many of the new games are so cluttered...AIQ for example. I liked it, wanted to like it more, but just cluttered.

You might dig the early Bally and Sterns then.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

Cheers,
    Jeff

Im not very familiar with high speed, but i just picked up a deadpool premium and it is exactly what you're describing. 2 Rippable spinners and 11 drop targets. We are really really liking it. Nice mix up from the typical fan layout.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

I do want a NIB game, so what new can you recommend?

Fathom! By Haggis.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

Cheers,
    Jeff

Stern Star Wars:
    Steve Ritchie
    Drop Targets
    Spinner
    Speed
    Flow
    Backhandable shots
    Playfield not cluttered

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

Stern Star Wars:
    Steve Ritchie
    Drop Targets
    Speed
    Flow
    Backhandable shots
    Playfield not cluttered

Yes, that is great example.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

About 10 years ago I was ready to leave the house to pick one up for $300. I call the seller right before I leave and asshole sold it out from under me. Yes, I'm still pissed off about it

#28 2 years ago

Beatles: 4 flippers opto spinners drops

Iron Maiden: 4 flippers 2 spinners drops and it’s the best game ever

#29 2 years ago

Steve Ritchie, Drop Target, Spinner, Upper Flipper Money Shot: 1980 Black Knight
    Upper flipper money shot, Drop Target, Spinner: 1989 Whirlwind (Made by Lawlor but still great).
    Steve Ritchie, Upper Flipper Money Shot, Theme You'd Like" 1993 Star Trek:TNG

Out of these, the one that would feel the most different from your Star Trek while still asking for everything you want: Whirlwind.

I have had All of these and Stern Star Trek is one of my favorites. You can't go wrong with any of these and I'd strongly recommend any of them.

#30 2 years ago

Stern Star Wars. Lots of speed and good flow. Drop targets are pretty essential to lengthen your multi ball modes. Decent spinner. As long as your game is dialed in, you can back hand a number of shots from each flipper.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

None of them had the ripping spinner aspect I am looking for. I also like drop targets, so if someone can suggest games to try, I am grateful!

If you want ripping spinners and drops id recommend Beatles.

#32 2 years ago

Rollergames, rollergames

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

Stern Star Wars:
    Steve Ritchie
    Drop Targets
    Spinner
    Speed
    Flow
    Backhandable shots
    Playfield not cluttered

You just described LZ Premium or LZ LE.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Hardtop FTW!

Yes, how hard is it to do? From what I have read here, it is a big job. Thx

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from jb343:

Yes, how hard is it to do? From what I have read here, it is a big job. Thx

I have done three, and I'm an idiot.
    I use a much more simple approach than most. I don't sand the whole playfield, only the inserts. I don't clearcoat, only polish the inserts smooth. Looks great to me. It's not much more work than a full teardown and cleaning. I'm very slow, and something like 10-12 hours for High Speed. I did not have a rotisserie then, that would have made it easier and quicker.

#36 2 years ago

For ripping spinner aspect some of my favorites are Led Zeppelin Premium/LE(Electric magic spinner & orbit with great sounds), Total Nuclear Annihilation orbit(with great sounds), and 24 orbit.

#37 2 years ago

Stern SW.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-decision-comments-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.