(Topic ID: 268699)

New game buying advice

By colonel_caverne

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“which one should i choose?”

• TOM 8 votes
      16%
    • Fish Tales 10 votes
      20%
    • BSD 10 votes
      20%
    • Goldeneye 0 votes
    • The Shadow 17 votes
      34%
    • Other 5 votes
      10%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 3 years ago

It all really depends on where you put your "values" at the most.

The Shadow is the best of that group (and also the deepest) and Goldeneye is easily the worst. Pins in a home environment usually do better long term when they are deeper.

ToM and fish tales are the most kid friendly, but they also present the least challenge. As a father of 3, I can tell you that you should NEVER buy a pin just for your kids. They wont play it as much, and regardless of how much they like it, they usually don't care in a month (or less). BSD is nice, but not kid friendly...and I really think it doesnt hold up well long term.

With your current collection, I think that The Shadow will also give you the best variance. Variety is the spice of life, and i wholly believe that is very true with home pinball collections.

P.S. Why isn't LOTR a consideration? It is a great game, on your wishlist, kid friendly, and it works extremely well in a home collection. I think it meets all your criteria.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

All games in the list are games I could enjoy for myself. I don’t choose them randomly.
    I have games that can be highly punishing like TWD or JP or Alien or hard to progress by your skills but as surprising as it can be, my 7 years old son is playing them daily.
    However I just feel like coming back in the past, they are so many games that I found much more fun to play than many recent games. I would like to show some of them to my kids and in the same time experience some of them.
    BSD is the one I know the more and I really like it, I think it is quite easy to get to a multiball and gets some great feature. It also have an awesome atmosphere. But it would not be a new experience. So I don’t know.
    What is surprising, no one advises me TOM, there are so many good reviews.

ToM is a beautiful game with lots of toys that is kid friendly. It is also very repetitive, not deep, and the most expensive game on your list. Heck...you could get a fish tales AND a bram stokers dracula for that price.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I’m well aware of this.
    All games are repetitive in a way but some are so fun and challenging that I can’t stop playing them or always come back with pleasure.
    But I agree, either I can buy a TOM or a FT + BSD or TS. maybe my choice will be dictated by what i find first

Everyone buys, plays, and enjoys pins for different reasons. When asking others opinions, you are bound to see their own ideas that reflect those reasons. Longevity (deep rules and enjoyment), price, and variety within ones collection are my values.

Playing a game enough times to really see what you like is important. Otherwise I would recommend checking out all the reviews. You will see a lot of recurring thoughts on games...which usually indicates a good amount of truth and value from people that have played those pins a lot.

As much as some pan the top 100, I feel it is really helpful as well. If you take out the recency bias for newer games, it is pretty solid. Once again, however, it doesn't reflect ones nostalgia and personal values for a pin. Only you can decide that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-buying-advice?tu=daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.