(Topic ID: 268699)

New game buying advice

By colonel_caverne

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“which one should i choose?”

• TOM 8 votes
      16%
    • Fish Tales 10 votes
      20%
    • BSD 10 votes
      20%
    • Goldeneye 0 votes
    • The Shadow 17 votes
      34%
    • Other 5 votes
      10%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Hi there,
    i'm looking for another game and i'm hesitating between several ones.
    what kind of player i'm? Well, my pinball skills are arevage to average plus, like ramps (with diverter is better), depth rules but not too much as long journey games are not for me, with great jackop callouts (i has an important emotional factor in my book), like stacking too. Package sound and art are important but not the most.
    So the selction i have in mind is the following (not close to another input):
    - TOM (only very games played)
    - Goldeneye (never played)
    - fish tales (never played)
    - BSD (already played it and really like this one)
    - The Shadow (already owned it some years ago when i was not the player i'm this day. i'm a much better player, better enough to give it another chance?)

i also would like a game that would be more approachable (than i already own) for my kids and it needs to be fun too.

thanks

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi there,
    i'm looking for another game and i'm hesitating between several ones.
    what kind of player i'm? Well, my pinball skills are arevage to average plus, like ramps (with diverter is better), depth rules but not too much as long journey games are not for me, with great jackop callouts (i has an important emotional factor in my book), like stacking too. Package sound and art are important but not the most.
    So the selction i have in mind is the following (not close to another input):
    - TOM (only very games played)
    - Goldeneye (never played)
    - fish tales (never played)
    - BSD (already played it and really like this one)
    - The Shadow (already owned it some years ago when i was not the player i'm this day. i'm a much better player, better enough to give it another chance?)
    i also would like a game that would be more approachable (than i already own) for my kids and it needs to be fun too.
    thanks

BSD is a great game but not too approachable for kids, I’d go FT personally

#3 3 years ago

Of that list, for kids too, Fish Tales.

How about No Good Gophers though?

#5 3 years ago

Shadow is the best game you listed and casuals love playing mine but it's much harder for kids than the MM you already own.

Your requirements are kind of opposed as Shadow and BSD are hard and TOM and FT are shallow and fun for kids/casuals.

#6 3 years ago

I would go fish tales. GoldenEye is bad. Avoid. Fish has great flow, fun game. I wish they would remake it.

#7 3 years ago

I'd pick Fish Tales also. I always have fun playing it.

#8 3 years ago

I already owned WH2O and NGG in the past. Do not keen on own them twice right now. thanks for input.

Poll added.

Regarding FT, is it an easy and/or challenging game?
    what about callout jackpot? i really love 30M for BSD, it is a great emotional feeling. which game of the list can match this criteria?

The price are very fluctuating and are very depending on the game condition. Would you say the price of a TOM is equal of the addition of 2 other games of the list?

#9 3 years ago

My 5 year old loves our Shadow. It’s fairly easy to get multiball and she loves the ramps and lock. The mini playfield is a big hit as well

#10 3 years ago

I already owned WH2O and NGG in the past. Do not keen on own them twice right now. thanks for input.
    Poll added.
    Regarding FT, is it an easy and/or challenging game?
    what about callout jackpot? i really love 30M for BSD, it is a great emotional feeling. which game of the list can match this criteria?
    The price are very fluctuating and are very depending on the game condition. Would you say the price of a TOM is equal of the addition of 2 other games of the list?

Here in the states, you could get both FT and BSD for the cost of TOM

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

It seems to be the same here in Europe.
    However, i’m looking for 25 years old games and find them in great condition is not very easy.
    FT and BSD are used to have faded cabinet and TS has always sanctum playfield wear.

So FT, BSD and TS seem to build consensus here.
    Is there jackpot callout in FT?

#12 3 years ago

However, i’m looking for 25 years old games and find them in great condition is not very easy.
    FT and BSD are used to have faded cabinet and TS has always sanctum playfield wear.

Yes, but nowhere near as cool as BSDs

#13 3 years ago

Fishtales is a great game but very difficult and short ball times.the theme is kid friendly the play is not.i play about 100 tournaments a year so I have some decent skills and fish tales is the hardest most frustrating pin in my collection and will be up for sale soon.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Fishtales is a great game but very difficult and short ball times.the theme is kid friendly the play is not.i play about 100 tournaments a year so I have some decent skills and fish tales is the hardest most frustrating pin in my collection and will be up for sale soon.

So what would be your choice regarding my list? I guess you know all of them.

If anyone has any other suggestion, I would be happy to hear it.

#15 3 years ago

It all really depends on where you put your "values" at the most.

The Shadow is the best of that group (and also the deepest) and Goldeneye is easily the worst. Pins in a home environment usually do better long term when they are deeper.

ToM and fish tales are the most kid friendly, but they also present the least challenge. As a father of 3, I can tell you that you should NEVER buy a pin just for your kids. They wont play it as much, and regardless of how much they like it, they usually don't care in a month (or less). BSD is nice, but not kid friendly...and I really think it doesnt hold up well long term.

With your current collection, I think that The Shadow will also give you the best variance. Variety is the spice of life, and i wholly believe that is very true with home pinball collections.

P.S. Why isn't LOTR a consideration? It is a great game, on your wishlist, kid friendly, and it works extremely well in a home collection. I think it meets all your criteria.

#16 3 years ago

Do you have a Nintendo Switch? If you download Zen Pinball FX3, Fish Tales comes with it for free. It might be like that on other consoles/PC, too. That way you could try it virtually at least!

Fish Tales is kind of like BSD in that it’s a bit simple to figure out, but the flow/logic/rules/bonuses/jackpots are all extremely satisfying to play & accomplish....but the theme is prob more friendly for kids.

#17 3 years ago

I would go with shadow or tom given them choices but lotr is a great suggestion also afm and rfm are very kid friendly

#18 3 years ago

I had FT for years and loved it. Simple rules but challenging enough to last and make it fun

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

yep and both smoke TOM

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It all really depends on where you put your "values" at the most.
    The Shadow is the best of that group (and also the deepest) and Goldeneye is easily the worst. Pins in a home environment usually do better long term when they are deeper.
    ToM and fish tales are the most kid friendly, but they also present the least challenge. As a father of 3, I can tell you that you should NEVER buy a pin just for your kids. They wont play it as much, and regardless of how much they like it, they usually don't care in a month (or less). BSD is nice, but not kid friendly...and I really think it doesnt hold up well long term.
    With your current collection, I think that The Shadow will also give you the best variance. Variety is the spice of life, and i wholly believe that is very true with home pinball collections.
    P.S. Why isn't LOTR a consideration? It is a great game, on your wishlist, kid friendly, and it works extremely well in a home collection. I think it meets all your criteria.

All games in the list are games I could enjoy for myself. I don’t choose them randomly.
    I have games that can be highly punishing like TWD or JP or Alien or hard to progress by your skills but as surprising as it can be, my 7 years old son is playing them daily.
    However I just feel like coming back in the past, they are so many games that I found much more fun to play than many recent games. I would like to show some of them to my kids and in the same time experience some of them.

BSD is the one I know the more and I really like it, I think it is quite easy to get to a multiball and gets some great feature. It also have an awesome atmosphere. But it would not be a new experience. So I don’t know.

What is surprising, no one advises me TOM, there are so many good reviews.

#21 3 years ago

All games in the list are games I could enjoy for myself. I don’t choose them randomly.
    I have games that can be highly punishing like TWD or JP or Alien or hard to progress by your skills but as surprising as it can be, my 7 years old son is playing them daily.
    However I just feel like coming back in the past, they are so many games that I found much more fun to play than many recent games. I would like to show some of them to my kids and in the same time experience some of them.
    BSD is the one I know the more and I really like it, I think it is quite easy to get to a multiball and gets some great feature. It also have an awesome atmosphere. But it would not be a new experience. So I don’t know.
    What is surprising, no one advises me TOM, there are so many good reviews.

ToM is a beautiful game with lots of toys that is kid friendly. It is also very repetitive, not deep, and the most expensive game on your list. Heck...you could get a fish tales AND a bram stokers dracula for that price.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Do you have a Nintendo Switch? If you download Zen Pinball FX3, Fish Tales comes with it for free. It might be like that on other consoles/PC, too. That way you could try it virtually at least!
    Fish Tales is kind of like BSD in that it’s a bit simple to figure out, but the flow/logic/rules/bonuses/jackpots are all extremely satisfying to play & accomplish....but the theme is prob more friendly for kids.

Yes...my daughter has one. I will ask her to download it. Thanks.
    FT and BSD theme are ok, these games of the 90s gets something more that recent games don’t have. Hard to describe.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

I would go with shadow or tom given them choices but lotr is a great suggestion also afm and rfm are very kid friendly

I love MM but never could get into an AFM. Can’t stand the aliens moving. Sorry
    LOTR is a great game that I owned in the past. I love the atmosphere of this one and the jackpot callout are definitely ones of my favoriteS with MM jackpots callout and the thirty millions of BSD. just not my priority right now.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

ToM is a beautiful game with lots of toys that is kid friendly. It is also very repetitive, not deep, and the most expensive game on your list. Heck...you could get a fish tales AND a bram stokers dracula for that price.

I’m well aware of this.
    All games are repetitive in a way but some are so fun and challenging that I can’t stop playing them or always come back with pleasure.

But I agree, either I can buy a TOM or a FT + BSD or TS. maybe my choice will be dictated by what i find first

#25 3 years ago

i really love 30M for BSD, it is a great emotional feeling. which game of the list can match this criteria?

None of the others can match that

And if kids are a concern, I would buy a Pinsound board. I realize this is a lot of work, but you could replace all the sounds in the game with your kids voices. So if your kids are yelling "30 Milllllliiiiioooooooonnnnnnn" from a pinball machine, well jeepers, how much more approachable do you need it to be? Record them, put them in the right directory, and poof, you are rocking the best game in the bunch.

#26 3 years ago

I’m well aware of this.
    All games are repetitive in a way but some are so fun and challenging that I can’t stop playing them or always come back with pleasure.
    But I agree, either I can buy a TOM or a FT + BSD or TS. maybe my choice will be dictated by what i find first

Everyone buys, plays, and enjoys pins for different reasons. When asking others opinions, you are bound to see their own ideas that reflect those reasons. Longevity (deep rules and enjoyment), price, and variety within ones collection are my values.

Playing a game enough times to really see what you like is important. Otherwise I would recommend checking out all the reviews. You will see a lot of recurring thoughts on games...which usually indicates a good amount of truth and value from people that have played those pins a lot.

As much as some pan the top 100, I feel it is really helpful as well. If you take out the recency bias for newer games, it is pretty solid. Once again, however, it doesn't reflect ones nostalgia and personal values for a pin. Only you can decide that.

#27 3 years ago

..., like ramps (with diverter is better), depth rules but not too much as long journey games are not for me, with great jackop callouts .... Package sound and art are important but not the most.
    thanks

Well, that pretty much clears that up:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#28 3 years ago

Are you gonna talk or are you gonna fish? FT

#29 3 years ago

I would get The Shadow. but....

If you want a game you haven't had before you could get Fish Tales and (temporarily) change out the lightning flippers for regular ones for the kids. Once they get tired of the game (or really good at it) you put the lightnings back on.

#30 3 years ago

FT and BSD theme are ok, these games of the 90s gets something more that recent games don’t have. Hard to describe.

They’re exactly what pinball needs to be. Perfect integration of design, geometry, clever mechanical features, rules & addicting gameplay. Sometimes people forget that an arcade/pinball game is a different experience than other games. Pac-Man & Donkey Kong are great at being what they are...they don’t need to be Final Fantasy or Halo. Same with pinball. Pinball doesn’t have to shoot for being ultra deep and convoluted to be great. Sometimes it works - LOTR is one of my favs...but that doesn’t negate the perfectly executed 90’s games...they are exactly what they need to be to be a replayable & fun experience.

As for TOM, it’s one of the most popular games ever but gets a weird bad rap now. There’s nothing shallow about it...it has tons of modes & mini-objectives. Some don’t like the lack of a wizard mode...I rarely can finish all the modes in 1 game any way, so it doesn’t bother me. It’s definitely a family crowd pleaser & one of the smoothest flowiest fastest shooters out there.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

They’re exactly what pinball needs to be. Perfect integration of design, geometry, clever mechanical features, rules & addicting gameplay. Sometimes people forget that an arcade/pinball game is a different experience than other games. Pac-Man & Donkey Kong are great at being what they are...they don’t need to be Final Fantasy or Halo. Same with pinball. Pinball doesn’t have to shoot for being ultra deep and convoluted to be great. Sometimes it works - LOTR is one of my favs...but that doesn’t negate the perfectly executed 90’s games...they are exactly what they need to be to be a replayable & fun experience.
    As for TOM, it’s one of the most popular games ever but gets a weird bad rap now. There’s nothing shallow about it...it has tons of modes & mini-objectives. Some don’t like the lack of a wizard mode...I rarely can finish all the modes in 1 game any way, so it doesn’t bother me. It’s definitely a family crowd pleaser & one of the smoothest flowiest fastest shooters out there.

No wizard mode in this game? A bit disappointing.
    Is it « easy » to get a multiball, as this is the main question that my son is asking me when he tries a new game?
    Thanks

#32 3 years ago

No wizard mode in this game? A bit disappointing.
    Is it « easy » to get a multiball, as this is the main question that my son is asking me when he tries a new game?
    Thanks

I guess the main one is relatively easy. You light the locks, shoot the locks, the trunk spins - shoot the trunk & the magnet grabs it & Multiball starts.

#33 3 years ago

The die is cast. Found a nice Shadow.
    I hope to be up to it this time.

I also wanted to ask which game are standard size, 3 flippers only with one of which upper LEFT flipper and DMD/LCD.
    i don’t have this kind of game and could be interested in later. Thanks.

#34 3 years ago

As others have said, you should always make your needs a priority over the kids. They'll still get to play and have fun with whatever you get, so no worries. The Shadow is a great choice and will definitely challenge you. It would probably be my pick based on what you've prioritized here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-buying-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.