(Topic ID: 85278)

New From ColorDMD! Control Your Display Remotely!

By Dmod

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Zdoor
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ColorChange1.jpg
    homer-drooling.png

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

Great work Herg, that looks awesome. Now just another reason to get myself a Tron, as if there wasn't already fifty or so.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

It's great this is starting to take off so quickly! Here's what I've cobbled together:
    » YouTube video

The latest code toggles blue/yellow when cycles are active, but that's not in this video.

That's what I'm talking about! Randy showed me a sneak peek of this before Texas and I think the first question I asked him was "can this be synched to Eli's ramp kit?"

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Randy showed me a sneak peek of this before Texas and I think the first question I asked him was "can this be synched to Eli's ramp kit?"

Yeah, me too! Of course, I didn't see it in person, but when he mentioned what he was doing and asked if I had any ideas for uses, I mentioned Eli ramp integration. I got a PM from another Pinsider who was planning to work on it before Randy told him I had started on it. I'll let him identify himself if he wants to. It's obviously a very popular idea.

I hope we will see a lot of cool things come out of this, and some of them can be much more impressive than what we've seen so far.

#54 6 years ago

I just bought 3. One for ACDC, one for Tron, one for STLE. What addl hardware do I need to mount into STLE?

#55 6 years ago

Pinbits blue or clear DMD cover & mounting kit, don't forget the sam cable.

#56 6 years ago

Here is an attempt at TZ probably not the game to do but I will be working with a Tron LE tomorrow and Hopefully one with Eli's kit here in the near future. It is hard to see the color changes on video very different in person but you may get the idea.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

I just bought 3. One for ACDC, one for Tron, one for STLE. What addl hardware do I need to mount into STLE?

You just need the clear cover from Pinbits... the new batch has additional holes lined up for the new Stern backboxes so you dont need the kit.
    Like GGG said, you need the sam cable in the option menu.
    I put one in my ST set to blue sigma upscale and love it.

Edit: you still need some hardware... washers and post screws

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

This will come with a RGB controller

It looks like these controllers will let you choose custom colors by tweaking the R G and B values using up / down arrows. Do they retain this value when powered off?

Quoted from Rock914:

T2 test a bit better.
    » YouTube video

What are you using for a control source?

#60 6 years ago

HOLY COW!!!!!!

#61 6 years ago

Making a backbox adapter and will be adding the adapter as an option when ordering Backboxes. Will try to post up some video later. Effect is cool.

#62 6 years ago

A few quick noob questions for you guys. I am about to purchase my first Color DMD for a Stern machine (still undetermined which one I'll put it in) and want to ensure I purchase correctly and understand what all is needed:

1. Is this the one I should purchase? http://shop.colordmd.com/cart.php
    2. Does that one allow me to choose a desired color? i.e. can I choose to have it always display red?
    3. If full color support becomes available for whatever game I choose to put it in, is it as simple as downloading it and is it compatible with that same product?
    4. To do this cool dynamic color changing business will it also work with that product? i.e. will I just need to supplement that with whatever else becomes available in the future?

Thanks. I appreciate any guidance.
    Mike

#63 6 years ago

molspin,

1. That link is to your cart, and we won't be able to see it's contents, but here's what you need:
    http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-sigma/

Just make sure to choose the correct installation kit; SAM/Whitestar in your case since you're talking about a Stern game.

2. You can easily choose for it to be always red (or another color) without any DIY cables.

3. Randy always says to buy for your current needs and that future stuff may not work with current hardware, but in general, new full color support typically works with old hardware.

4. Yes, the color changing stuff we're doing now works with the display in the link above, but we're building our own custom cables to make it happen.

#65 6 years ago

I started a separate thread to share how I hooked stuff up to the TRON Pinbits / Eli ramps.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-color-changing-tron-pinbits-eli-ramps-integration

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

TRON LE, Tied into ramps.

Thanks for showing it in dots mode too, I still prefer them over the blending algorithms.

#67 6 years ago

herg, you're awesome! You've helped me more than once this weekend. Thanks very much.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

It looks like these controllers will let you choose custom colors by tweaking the R G and B values using up / down arrows. Do they retain this value when powered off?

Yes. The custom colors that are made using the DIY buttons are saved. Plus the RGB controller will stay on whatever it is on, even if powered on and off. So if you have the controller set on 3 color fade it will stay on 3 color fade even if the game is powered off and on. The same is for custom colors, pre-set colors and the various flash and fade effects.

#69 6 years ago

Just getting back from vacation... it's really exciting to see all these ideas come together!

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

TRON LE, Tied into ramps.
    » YouTube video

how do you tie it into Tron LE ?

thx,
    bb

#71 6 years ago

^^ I would like to know that as well.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Just getting back from vacation... it's really exciting to see all these ideas come together!

Would really like to see your product in a video installed on a STLE . If some one was done it post it please. The DOT's for ST as a whole look substandard . Thanks , Rob

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Would really like to see your product in a video installed on a STLE . If some one was done it post it please. The DOT's for ST as a whole look substandard . Thanks , Rob

This video was shot by Thomas M pre-SIGMA 2.4. The GAMMA adjustment that was added to 2.4 probably gives better contrast between the bright and dark levels.

Also some short videos of Gio's nebula mod here.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-nebula-mod#post-1568259

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

This video was shot

Thank you !!

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

how do you tie it into TRON LE ?
    thx,
    bb

This was tied into the led driver on Troy LE. I can improve this with a little more time on the machine. I have messed around with this on a few machines now and this new setup from Color Dmd allows a ton of possibilities.

#76 6 years ago

Really thinking of picking one of these up for my TRON Pro. Is the display setup for remote control like advertised yet?

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

Really thinking of picking one of these up for my TRON Pro. Is the display setup for remote control like advertised yet?

The RGB interface for the ColorDMD will be enabled through the SIGMA 2.5 firmware upgrade later this month. We're collecting feedback from developers now on any tweaks needed before we release it. "Beta" firmware is available now.

You'll need to contact the individual developers in this thread for information regarding the availability of any specific mod.

#78 6 years ago

This just in from Dennis Van de Pas. Matrix Morpheus Mode color controlled by the P-ROC!

#79 6 years ago

This looks dandy but when is colordmd going to start doing full colour on stern machines. Is there some licensing problem with stern that's preventing this?

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from sillyoldelf:

This looks dandy but when is colordmd going to start doing full colour on stern machines. Is there some licensing problem with stern that's preventing this?

Randy has said they're working on it. It's a lot of work write rules for detecting what frame is being displayed and to colorize all of them. I suspect there's a lot more content in Stern games than in B/W games as well, so that means more frames to color and more complex detection rules.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

This just in from Dennis Van de Pas. Matrix Morpheus Mode color controlled by the P-ROC!
    » YouTube video

it is as if you were reading my mind

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Randy has said they're working on it. It's a lot of work write rules for detecting what frame is being displayed and to colorize all of them. I suspect there's a lot more content in Stern games than in B/W games as well, so that means more frames to color and more complex detection rules.

Randy told me one thing that Sterns do that's easier at least is they don't have crazy frame transitions, which makes things easier in some ways, so that's helpful I think when it comes to the technical headaches.

#83 6 years ago

Here's another update from Pinnovating's facebook page:

In co-operation with Randy from ColorDMD we uploaded the new ColorDMD color changing possibilities into The Matrix! The basic color is obviously green, but now the color changes during modes and multiball to purple/margenta.

But that's not all...
    Woman In Red on outlane/white rabbit award, red of course.
    Morpheus mode, when you take the blue pil or red pil it changes accordingly. (for a Morpheus close up check www.facebook.com/colordmd)
    Smith Mode (don't shoot the orange inserts), good shots turn white, bad shots turn orange, change/Switch-rampshot back to puprple.
    Multiball, Jackpots flashes green/purple. 2nd level, spell KungFU, turns white. 3rd level, orange arrows, turns orange.
    NebuchadnezzaR, final 'silent on flipperbats' level, Red.
    Zion ramps hurry up, Red.
    Oracle hurry up, orange insert on left loop: Orange
    Kung FU Super Combo, purple.'
    White rabbit award on right ramp.... blue (like the inserts on the playfield
    End-of-Ball bonus, purple.

VIDEO LINK:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=784023198288865&set=vb.293036150720908&type=2&theater

#84 6 years ago

SIGMA owners:

If you would like to cycle the color on your display as shown in the video announcement, Doug Hanselman (the innovator of the PinballToppers.com speaker light kit) is now offering a simple-to-install controller with wireless remote. Even if you don't want to cycle the colors, the wireless remote is pretty handy for making custom color selections.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-colordmd-sigma-rgb-color-changing-remote-control-kit20-shipped#post-1604355

He's also got a low-cost cable to integrate your SIGMA display to a PinballToppers speaker light kit:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-cable-to-connect-colordmd-sigma-to-speaker-light-kits10-shipped#post-1604407

#85 6 years ago

Pinball Refinery Spidey backbox kit with Color DMD integration

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 200.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.95
    $ 49.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside