Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ant16bar2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

42458E33-6130-4718-AAF5-8C81257771D0 (resized).jpeg
    60A7F288-39A6-4275-BCBD-0701D06ACA07 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

Hi I have a Gottlieb 1964 North Star the flippers are fair not powerful like a a new machine if rebuild flippers with it be to powerful for a older game like I have

#2 5 years ago

1) I would first inspect the flipper end of stroke switches mounted underneath the playfield next to flipper assembly. These switches must be calibrated correctly or the flippers will be weak, even if you install a flipper rebuilt kit.
    2) Make sure the two EOS switch contacts are cleaned with a flex file and are not pitted and are in good condition and are smooth and shiny afterwards.
    3) Inspect plastic white bushing the flipper rod passes through. Sometimes these bushings are cracked. If so, replace with new ones.
    4) Inspect all work with bright light and magnifier always.
    5) Make sure the two EOS switch contacts are together and are held tightly to each other making a strong connection.
    6) Take your fingers and manually operate the flipper assembly until the flipper flips upwards to its full stroke. When the flipper reaches its full stroke the two EOS contacts on the switches should open slightly and separate at the moment of full stroke.
    7) Next check the flipper rods that strike the flipper switches mounted close to the front side of the cabinet underneath playfield. These flipper rods must make contact with the flipper switches firmly. Sometimes they need some adjusting by hand.
    8) Make sure these flippers switches and contacts are in good condition. If so, clean and adjust them properly. If not replace them. These switches get a lot of action over time and could be worn. Inspect with bright light and magnifier always.

#3 5 years ago

A full rebuild never hurts. That's the way it was when it let the factory.

#4 5 years ago

Everything is in order that I can see EOS is gapped with a 1/8 open on contact bushings firm switches see brand new I’m reading about high tapping does anyone know about this.Reading it’s just moving a wire on transformer

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ant16bar2:

Everything is in order that I can see EOS is gapped with a 1/8 open on contact bushings firm switches see brand new I’m reading about high tapping does anyone know about this.Reading it’s just moving a wire on transformer

There's usually just a wire that has to be resoldered, yes. Sometimes it's marked on the transformer. If you can take a picture of the transformer someone can probably tell you

#6 5 years ago

What about the flipper rods that strike the flipper switches mounted close to the front side of the cabinet underneath playfield? These flipper rods must make contact with the flipper switches firmly. With the playfield in the normal locked position....you can peek inside through the coin door and view the flipper switches and rods motion while you push the flipper buttons to see if they are set up correctly.

#7 5 years ago

Flipper link is where i would closely examine
    to verify if the holes are not worn or enlarged to cause slop
    Style of link will vary depending on the era

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8 5 years ago

Inspect flipper return spring for proper screw setting on flipper bushing. You can check this by raising the playfield up. While playfield is in the up position flick the flipper metal plunger and fiber yoke link to make sure it moves back with ease and without any tension or binding. Sometimes the flipper return spring is screwed to the wrong screw position on the white plastic bushing.

In the past....I have drilled 2 or 3 extra holes in the plastic white flipper bushing which gave me more positions than the normal factory positions of 3. This makes for the perfect tension for the flipper swing back and forth.

There should be no need to high tap if all is well with the flipper assembly.

Can send a clear close up picture of your flipper assembly?

#9 5 years ago

Hi everyone thank you for the help I got it working right the screws on on the bushing were tight but could be tighter so I redrilled new holes and the flippers are working better thank you for all your help Anthony

#10 5 years ago

All good but getting shocked on right flipper

#11 5 years ago

Does your North Star electrical cord plug have three prong or two?

#13 5 years ago

Which plug does your game have?
    Two prong or three prong?

42458E33-6130-4718-AAF5-8C81257771D0 (resized).jpeg42458E33-6130-4718-AAF5-8C81257771D0 (resized).jpeg60A7F288-39A6-4275-BCBD-0701D06ACA07 (resized).jpeg60A7F288-39A6-4275-BCBD-0701D06ACA07 (resized).jpeg
    #14 5 years ago

Top one three prong

#15 5 years ago

Keeps blowing fuse when I lift playing field up

#16 5 years ago

Think something is touching in cabinet

#17 5 years ago

You are correct

#18 5 years ago

What fuse is blowing?
    There should be a name label on each of the fuses stating their amp size too.

#19 5 years ago

The middle fuse when you open coin door on the left it’s playing field lights I just realized that when adjusting flipper switch the paper.on the switch blade came off I just put tape there till I get a new switch

#20 5 years ago

thanks Vic for your time

#21 5 years ago

last couple of wedgies I've done I used plastic "shrink tubing", I bought a kit of different sizes and lengths off of ebay, got a bunch in it, costs about nothing. This will insure no juice coming down those long thin rods that the steel buttons touch conducting.
    By the way , the door is also hot and will give you a real jolt, I mean a REAL jolt! "thought i was gonna die" type jolt.
    But of course thats just me, I grabbed a plug wire on a G Production Datsun "Fairlady " once, that was worse but still, old Gottleibs will clear up that stuffy nose for sure.
    Don't forget the coil sleeves on the flipper coils.
    If you have done all the stuff mentioned here by all these good people and still need some more power, The Pinball Resource sells "yellow dot" coils that I have had great results with.

#22 5 years ago

Hi wezze thank you I got shrink tube from Home Depot works great I high taped the game the machine is like it’s on speed lol I think if I put yellow dot coils in I’ll break the pop bumpers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-flippers-on-1964-north-star- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.