IMG_5061.JPG
IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5056.JPG
IMG_5053.JPG
IMG_5051.JPG
IMG_5037.JPG
IMG_5034.JPG
IMG_5030.JPG
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

This will be the next featured HEP restoration.
It is a true prototype Addams Family and the goal will be to keep it as close to original as possible but also correct some of the rougher details.
There will be little to no plating done at all.All the rust and corrosion will be dealt with in a way that maintains a more original look for this type of game and restoration.
The playfield is full Mylar so that is going to be a pain to remove with the hand made inserts underneath.
Anyway I thought it might be worth throwing up here since it is a change of pace from the regular TAFs and over the top style of restoration so often done.Here is a link that will probably be more informative than this post overall because of the way I document things there but I will try to keep this post close to on par with it.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album582

Christopher Hutchins

#2 9 years ago

Here are some preliminary pictures and differences.
First the left side lower cabinet is simply a reverse image of the right side.

1_G.jpg1_G.jpg 2_G.jpg2_G.jpg
#3 9 years ago

The topper has a different color decal set.

3_G.jpg3_G.jpg
#4 9 years ago

The apron is different as well.Missing some of the trademark stuff and the Bally script is in a different location.

8_G.jpg8_G.jpg
#5 9 years ago

The playfield is different in many ways most of which are coloring and inserts.
The lenses themselves are different colors as well as the lettering.Some is very roughly changed which has created damage and that was then Mylared over.

7_G.jpg7_G.jpg
10_G.jpg10_G.jpg
15_G.jpg15_G.jpg

#6 9 years ago

Inside is rough.Not beat from use but poorly stored I would say.
The rust and corrosion to deal with without the benefit of plating is most likely going to mean replacing the more generic metal parts and manually reworking everything else.
Of course this is a true proto not a sample because of the X serial number and red boards.

19_G.jpg19_G.jpg 23_G.jpg23_G.jpg 24_G.jpg24_G.jpg 25_G.jpg25_G.jpg
#7 9 years ago

That's one of the nicer TAF proto fields I've seen.. the other few I've seen were real hammered around the mansion.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

That's one of the nicer TAF proto fields I've seen.. the other few I've seen were real hammered around the mansion.

Yes it isn't worn out nor too bad except for the fact that they cut the screening and inserts right off the finished playfield,hand labeled them then covered them with Mylar.That is my biggest concern on the playfield.It is fully Mylar with some sections that are doubled up.
What will happen to those cut inserts when the Mylar comes off ?We will see.
Looks to be the mechanical engineering departments game .

#9 9 years ago

Very cool Chris this will be a fun one to watch.

#10 9 years ago

Super cool

#11 9 years ago

Good luck with the restore Chris!

#12 9 years ago

Definitely a cool TAF to restore! Makes me wonder if there are pictures of it taken by the department that used it hiding somewhere in some sort of album.

I see that this one has the sticker on the bookcase plastic. Very cool. I know a guy who also has a prototype TAF and he had removed the sticker at some point. When I was looking at his game, it was the first thing I noticed was "off" about it. His plastic on there was this one:

image-34.jpgimage-34.jpg

3 weeks later
#13 9 years ago

Starting to make some progress here.
First when gutting the head I found a strange RCA type cable soldered to the sound board.Not sure what they were experimenting with there.
Next
The metal is in horrible condition under the plastics and apron.Most of the parts are handmade so that will need some clean up.
The best thing right now is I have removed the Mylar.
It went well.
I needed to get that out of the way before getting too deep into it.

32.JPG32.JPG
36-123.JPG36-123.JPG
39.JPG39.JPG

#14 9 years ago

The few hand printed inserts will not survive the process but I will put something more correct and better in place.
I could easily just print something like what was on there back out but it just doesn't make sense even considering the prototype aspect.I need a little more of a finished product when it comes to inserts.Blank or closer to final production will be the choice.

40.JPG40.JPG 41.JPG41.JPG 42.JPG42.JPG
#15 9 years ago

HEP,
I disagree, I think the way the text was in the prototype is the way it should stay. remember its a prototype it should look like its pieced to together. These games were hand built. Text and all. That is what makes it unique. just for info I got that game from John Krausch.

#16 9 years ago

It served its purpose of being a prototype, now its time to mature into adulthood as a HEP.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

HEP,
I disagree, I think the way the text was in the prototype is the way it should stay. remember its a prototype it should look like its pieced to together. These games were hand built. Text and all. That is what makes it unique. just for info I got that game from John Krausch.

The argument is understandable but I have done other true proto TAFs none were this rough or unfinished. For reference I have done a true proto playfield direct from John Youssi and fully know what a screen printed proto playfield should look like. This is a design team butcher job done on the floor to that play field.
I am not interested in preserving history if it means creating a turd and sealing sub par work under clearcoat.
Should I keep the rust too?

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The argument is understandable but I have done other true proto TAFs none were this rough or unfinished. For reference I have done a true proto playfield direct from John Youssi and fully know what a screen printed proto playfield should look like. This is a design team butcher job done on the floor to that play field.
I am not interested in preserving history if it means creating a turd and sealing sub par work under clearcoat.
Should I keep the rust too?

Easy Killer!

#20 9 years ago

Just change the word "pinball" for "Ferrari" and I think you'll get GAP's argument.

Millions of dollars are spent to preserve what you call a "butcher job" on high end car restorations on prototype vehicles.

If you destroy all the development aspects of the game, it's just another TAF at that point, nothing special. Those "hacks" make it special.

Remove rust, sure. But restoration should be about preservation. Save the chrome and other non-original bling for one of the 14,000 regular TAFs out there instead of destroying a one of a kind.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Just change the word "pinball" for "Ferrari" and I think you'll get GAP's argument.
Millions of dollars are spent to preserve what you call a "butcher job" on high end car restorations on prototype vehicles.
If you destroy all the development aspects of the game, it's just another TAF at that point, nothing special. Those "hacks" make it special.
Remove rust, sure. But restoration should be about preservation. Save the chrome and other non-original bling for one of the 14,000 regular TAFs out there instead of destroying a one of a kind.

Well if you read the initial post then you would know there will be no chrome or bling.
Not sure if you realize this but I am very accustomed to restoring one of a kind games and what that takes.Look through my gallery.

The only thing in question is 4 inserts that were butchered and will be made to look correct.
GAP sold the game and sent it here. If they knew so much they could have done it themselves.

#22 9 years ago

I have graciously decided to let the owner and HEP work out the restoration details between themselves.

#23 9 years ago

BTW
Here is a true NOS prototype playfield I will be modeling the reworks to the 4 inserts after.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album281

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I have graciously decided to let the owner and HEP work out the restoration details between themselves.

That is very generous of you
I think what some people don't get about this is that while prototypes are great and rare the type of person that sends one here is looking to have the rough spots corrected when and where possible. If they wanted it as is it would not have been sent here.The Mylar and rust would stay also.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Restore it or don't and if you do make the most you can out of it is the way I see it.

#25 9 years ago

I had the pleasure of taking a peak at this game last week when I had a chance to visit Chris. Games with this type of corrosion are a nightmare to deal with, and this being a prototype and keeping everything as original as possible must be even worse.

Of course it got sent to the right person for restoration. This one will be fun to watch.

#26 9 years ago

You know as well as I do, Chris. The only thing that matters is what your customer wants. You, of course, can give advise, but what others think means nothing.

That is very generous of you
I think what some people don't get about this is that while prototypes are great and rare the type of person that sends one here is looking to have the rough spots corrected when and where possible. If they wanted it as is it would not have been sent here.The Mylar and rust would stay also.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Restore it or don't and if you do make the most you can out of it is the way I see it.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You know as well as I do, Chris. The only thing that matters is what your customer wants. You, of course, can give advice, but what others think means nothing.

I agree. It's the customer's call.

#28 9 years ago

I have a Taf book case that was removed from a sample/prototype game. My plan is to match it up back to the game

#29 9 years ago

Very cool. Appreciate the post.

I agree, both the lettering and rust should go........

#30 9 years ago

The only thing in question is 4 inserts that were butchered and will be made to look correct.
GAP sold the game and sent it here. If they knew so much they could have done it themselves.

The butchering is part of the history of TAF. - you have a snapshot of the late design process. There is no right or wrong answer WRT keeping the inserts original; it depends on what the owner prefers. I would want to keep it the way it is.. there are plenty of other 'perfect' TAFs to look at. As long as the playfield is smooth overtop so it plays correctly. If this owner doesn't mind the original inserts being changed, there is nothing wrong with that either. Personal opinion.

#31 9 years ago

The playfield is being stripped.
I am replacing most brackets where possible since plating is not desirable on this particular restore.

IMG_3040.JPGIMG_3040.JPG IMG_3044.JPGIMG_3044.JPG IMG_3042.JPGIMG_3042.JPG IMG_3048.JPGIMG_3048.JPG IMG_3051.JPGIMG_3051.JPG
#32 9 years ago

The rest of the coil assemblies and mechs will have to wait while I gather the rest of the hardware and brackets I need so I will get the playfield going.

IMG_3053.JPGIMG_3053.JPG IMG_3055.JPGIMG_3055.JPG IMG_3059.JPGIMG_3059.JPG
#33 9 years ago

As far as the playfield goes.I will be going with a more finished look on the inserts as noted.There are 3 on the Mansion that will be made to match the rest of the mansion inserts.It is not a stretch at all it just seems like the best thing to do cosmetically so all the fonts and lettering styles match.
If it were not being cleared then I wouldn't go that route but trapping the handmade labels under clear would be an issue .
For comparison only I have a mansion overlay to highlight what I am talking about.As can be seen the mansion is about the same on the production as far as lettering and fonts with the major difference being the Millions inserts on the left.Where the proto differs a bit more is in the insert lens colors.

IMG_3062.JPGIMG_3062.JPG
IMG_3063.JPGIMG_3063.JPG

#34 9 years ago

For the cousin it insert I am going to match the Flyer and the previous proto playfield I have done and leave that blank along with the small orange arrows..
Obviously it has a generic label and in production has the cousin it art.

IMG_3067.JPGIMG_3067.JPG 20f2.jpg20f2.jpg
#35 9 years ago

Playfield is cleaned of the glue left over from the Mylar removal.
The cut inserts are cleaned and smoothed up.Most of the razorblade marks are going to go away up once cleared.

IMG_3069.JPGIMG_3069.JPG IMG_3071.JPGIMG_3071.JPG IMG_3076.JPGIMG_3076.JPG IMG_3077.JPGIMG_3077.JPG IMG_3079.JPGIMG_3079.JPG
#36 9 years ago

The first clear is applied.
The inserts that were untouched look great the ones that were cut at the factory are clear and do not have damage but are lower as a result.That is the difference shown in picture 2 ,3,4,and 5.
After this is dry and sanded it should all level out.

IMG_3099.JPGIMG_3099.JPG IMG_3100.JPGIMG_3100.JPG IMG_3102.JPGIMG_3102.JPG IMG_3117.JPGIMG_3117.JPG IMG_3104.JPGIMG_3104.JPG
#37 9 years ago

The upper inserts do not have the low spots because the labels were placed on top of blank inserts not cut ones.

IMG_3107.JPGIMG_3107.JPG IMG_3109.JPGIMG_3109.JPG IMG_3110-42.JPGIMG_3110-42.JPG IMG_3112-431.JPGIMG_3112-431.JPG
#38 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

This is a Pinside first, isn't it? If everyone follows jayhawkai's example, the Pinside website could be hosted on a Commodore 64...

#39 9 years ago

Playfield is now sanded being reworked and readied to clear once more.

The three insert that were debated have been changed and while I understand that it does eliminate some of the history it honestly just looks correct and feels better for me as the person doing the work to make the best looking product I can.This was the plan going into the restore after working with the owner.

The playfield is now cleared again.

IMG_3858.JPGIMG_3858.JPG IMG_3860.JPGIMG_3860.JPG IMG_3868.JPGIMG_3868.JPG IMG_3950.JPGIMG_3950.JPG IMG_3980.JPGIMG_3980.JPG
#40 9 years ago

That last photo is stunning! Nice work, Chris.

#41 9 years ago

Looks awesome Chris

#42 9 years ago

"Looks correct" does not equal "is correct."

Normally I would applaud the effort to "over restore" a game to make better than original, but leaving the "Cousin IT" label on that insert would've kept what made the game unique. Now it's just another TAF. That's what makes me a bit sad.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Normally I would applaud the effort to "over restore" a game to make better than original, but leaving the "Cousin IT" label on that insert would've kept what made the game unique. Now it's just another TAF. That's what makes me a bit sad.

Good thing it's not yours, then, eh?

#44 9 years ago

I can be sad and offer my opinion without it effecting the owner or HEP in any way.

What a country!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

There are way more differences than an insert or two that keep this from being "just another TAF"
The majority of them can't or wont be changed but again no one sends a game here wanting to get back hand labeled inserts and Mylared playfields.This isn't just a rust removal service.
The Flyer shows a blank Cousin it insert as well as the previous proto I have done.
Here is the model for this playfield.It is a NOS proto direct from the artist himself. Not exactly the same because of software changes and how that effects insert lighting sequences but in the same style.

3_G.jpg3_G.jpg 4_G.jpg4_G.jpg 5_G.jpg5_G.jpg
#46 9 years ago

That Cousin IT sticker was put there for a reason during development. Has nothing to do with the flyer, and was unique to this game.

If the stickers were chewed up, you could scan them and replace them exactly as they looked - not sure if you did that or not. That would maintain the game's uniqueness but allow improvement of the condition.

Ironically I don't care for the perfectly restored (including paint drips, etc.) cars but prefer my pins to be factory original. Go figure.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That Cousin IT sticker was put there for a reason during development. Has nothing to do with the flyer, and was unique to this game.
If the stickers were chewed up, you could scan them and replace them exactly as they looked - not sure if you did that or not. That would maintain the game's uniqueness but allow improvement of the condition.
Ironically I don't care for the perfectly restored (including paint drips, etc.) cars but prefer my pins to be factory original. Go figure.

Seriously it isn't that big of a deal or I would be the first to resist.
I have a Michaels down the street and know of a perfect match for those insert letters in the scratch off section so a match would be a breeze.I wasn't interested in it because regardless of the history it is ugly and rough.

What is the first thing anyone asks for when they are buying a pin?....Pictures!
No matter what anyone says cosmetics are king at face value.
Pinball restoration is largely about that and that is what I do.This person doesn't just want a prototype Addams but an HEP prototype Addams so here we are.

#48 9 years ago

There's no right or wrong way to do it - each individual weighs history vs presentation differently. The owner wanted it to match the model playfield, and that's the way it was done. I would have kept it as-is, but it's not my game and I certainly won't fault the owner for wanting it to look like the other proto fields. Also, the original look has been preserved in the photos taken.

The CC looks stunning regardless.

#49 9 years ago

Very cool. I always enjoy reading your write-ups Chris, and this one makes me want to go play TAF for some reason...

#50 9 years ago

The final on the playfield is done.
When sanding these types of repairs and leveling them it often means reworking the higher insert borders.
That is the black work pictured.
The last picture highlights the level of the inserts once repaired.

81_G.jpg81_G.jpg 83_G.jpg83_G.jpg 85_G.jpg85_G.jpg 86_G.jpg86_G.jpg 87_G.jpg87_G.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-featured-hep-restore-is-taf-prototype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.