Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Cherries_Jubilee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4433 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4431 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4430 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4429 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4426 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4428 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4427 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 months ago

I just bought this Fathom playfield. I can't determine if its an NOS or a CPR. There is a shipping label on the box it and was it from 2004 which makes me wonder if can even be a CPR? Did they run Fathom's back then? And there is no hologram on it. Also, I've not seen the registration marks on CPR's.
I do intend to sell it. I also have 2 sets of plastics. But for now, I'm trying to determine what this is. Thanks for taking a look!

IMG_4426 (resized).jpegIMG_4427 (resized).jpegIMG_4428 (resized).jpegIMG_4429 (resized).jpegIMG_4430 (resized).jpegIMG_4431 (resized).jpegIMG_4433 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 months ago

It looks like NOS to me. There are some minor flaws (such as ragged edges around drilled holes), a thin topcoat, and some misalignment of the artwork.

CPR usually has a thicker clear coat, has no ragged drill holes, and the artwork is (usually) aligned pretty well with the drilled holes. In addition to the hologram sticker in the apron area, they normally have an inked stamp on the back side.
pasted_image (resized).png

[edit]: Nevermind--I completely forgot about Halifax.

#3 4 months ago

There was a company called Halifax in Canada that made Fathom playfields.
https://www.pinballnews.com/learn/fathom.html

#4 4 months ago

It’s a Halifax/pre CPR most likely
NOS did not use that type of wood seen in the shooter lane.

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

It’s a Halifax/pre CPR most likely
NOS did not use that type of wood seen in the shooter lane.

OK, I bet you are right. The shipping label came from Canada. And I see the registration marks on the Halifax photos on Pinball News.

#6 4 months ago

That appears to be a 2004 Halifax reproduction playfield.

The Halifax playfields were manufactured using the wrong thickness wood and have some other differences and shortcomings.

They were thinner than NOS which caused problems with the screws penetrating the opposite side and the pop bumpers are not flush and need to be shimmed.

IMO it is the least-desirable of the three options:

1) NOS
2) CPR's latest effort
3) Halifax

With that being said, it is still nice. It just requires some modification. More than most.

I wouldn't pay a fortune for it.

I'm doing a Fathom right now using a CPR playfield. It has the correct thickness wood.

#8 4 months ago

charliex Cpr Fathom playfields do come up on EBay occasionally. Here are some suggestions:

Post a wtb ad here on pinside
Set up an eBay alert for fathom pinball playfield
Post in the below forum wtb fathom playfield
If you are on Facebook pm me and I can give you links to two Facebook groups for pinball parts
Pm kruzman and see if he has a nos or restored playfield
Consider sending your playfield out for restoration

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nos-playfields-you-havent-seen-and-i-havent-seen/page/36#post-5224169

#9 4 months ago

charliex Post in this forum as someone in your state may have one
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colorado-whats-fsft

#10 4 months ago

Keep in mind, if you use this playfield, that the Halifax version was made from a Thinner wood than normal, so you would need to use shorter screws so that they don't blow through the bottom side & ground-out on some other metal......

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Lafayette, IN
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside