(Topic ID: 105810)

New Farsight table requires unlimited payments for unlimited play?

By brundaged

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by davewtf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ghostbusters pin.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Just received the below from Farsight. I want to be wrong, but doesn't this suggest virtual pinball is headed towards limited free play and unlimited play through purchasing virtual tokens?

Ghost Busters Pinball

Farsight is very excited to soon be releasing its first stand-alone pinball table app, Ghostbusters™ Pinball! We started building the table with the basic layout of the appropriately themed Haunted House™. As we continued development, and since this is our first table released that isn't a simulation of a real world classic, we feel like it deserves even more than being featured in the Pinball Arcade collection.

Our Ghostbusters themed table will be free to download and free to play. Tokens are needed for each game, but you get 10 to start with and you earn at least one token each day. People with the Pinball Arcade installed earn two tokens per day!

The table is based on the hit movie released in 1984 and its sequel. This game puts you in control of the Ghostbusters crew, featuring Egon, Peter, Ray and Winston, as they battle paranormal foes in New York City. The Playfield is divided into three levels representing iconic settings from the movies: the city, rooftop and subway. Use eight flippers to move the ball through the three levels by shooting up and down ramps, tubes and a manhole as you build up a huge Ghost Bonus. Raise the Slimer Pop Bumper to reveal a ball lock for Multi-Ball and then cross the streams on the roof to destroy the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!

We're proud of how it turned out. Our hope is that people enjoy it and that this type of stand-alone app will introduce fans of Ghostbusters to pinball and to the Pinball Arcade.

The Ghostbuster app should be available before the end of October.

We hope you like it!

Ghostbusters pin.jpgGhostbusters pin.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

That format sounds lame. Can't wait to play this table though. Hopefully there is a way just buy it for $5 or less

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dahawk007:

Hopefully there is a way just buy it for $5 or less

I hope so too, but I'm worried because this "free token based on time" system is a common model for "freemium" games on iOS and Android: Get you hooked on the gameplay and sell tokens in bulk if you're not patient enough to wait for more free tokens. I've seen coin-pusher games that work exactly this way and look similar to the Ghostbusters screenshot.

I'm with you though: Excited to check it out. I even owned a 1966 ambulance in college I called "Ecto 2".

#4 9 years ago

Eight flippers? That's a lot of flippers.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

Eight flippers? That's a lot of flippers.

The table is a "mod" of Haunted House.

#6 9 years ago

Well at least I can play twice a day. If I earn 2 tokens per day. I asked farsight at one point if they could share photos of their office. They responded with the kickstarter option that was I think 1500 bucks and I could come to their offices. Um no. Love what they do but not that much.

#7 9 years ago

Pay per play LOL pass pass and pass.

#8 9 years ago

I think they're experimenting with a different payment model given the way mobile devices tend to work. My guess is Farsight's gonna measure how much money they make this way compared to how much they would make selling individual tables and will decide from there what method to go with in future standalone releases.

It specifically says you get new tokens every day though, which would likely include days you don't play, so I guess it boils down to just how much you wanna play an original table in this manner. : P

Me personally, I'll just stick with buying Pinball Arcade season packs on Steam. (Season 4 pack is already available to buy into, but not linked as DLC for whatever reason so you have to search for it in the Steam storefront to get it.)

#9 9 years ago

This isn't any different than the free daily coins to buy power ups in games like bejeweled. Yes, i used to play bejeweled.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-farsight-table-requires-unlimited-payments-for-unlimited-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.