(Topic ID: 303658)

New fantasy book series suggestions

By pcprogrammer

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

The Ta?in (resized).jpg
    Gods and Fighting Men (resized).jpg
    Celtic Twilight (resized).jpg
    s-l640 (resized).jpeg
    20211107_183216 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Looking for new fantasy books/series. To give you a background on what I like. Of course like the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, want to find something epic like this. Read a lot of Terry Brooks when I was younger, love the Shannara books and I watched the show. Also watched all of Game of Thrones as did everyone else in modern society, haven't read any of it and don't plan to after watching the show.

Tried out random fantasy books over the years, haven't found anything that pulls me in.

#2 2 years ago

Lyonesse trilogy by Jack Vance
    His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
    Tried any Rick Riordan?
    Not quite in the genre but I recently read Circe and recommend it highly.

#3 2 years ago

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. Grimdark, subversive, and best fantasy author today imo. Recommend chronological order.

He just finished a second trilogy last month so you don't need to worry about unfinished work like you would with some other notable authors....

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Lyonesse trilogy by Jack Vance
    His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
    Tried any Rick Riordan?
    Not quite in the genre but I recently read Circe and recommend it highly.

Dark Materials looks good, adding to my Amazon wishlist!

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from horse_cop:

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. .

I really dislike this trilogy, I read the first book and 1/2 of the second book had to trash it.

One book series that was new to me (not overall too long like some) is "The Broken Empire" trilogy by mark Lawrence.

https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Empire-Mark-Lawrence-Book/dp/B00Q5GLNOU/ref=sr_1_1

#6 2 years ago

one of the best to me (older) is the Princes of Amber series by Rogern Zelazny

I'll put it up against most others.

www.amazon.com/Great-Book-Amber-Complete-Chronicles/dp/0380809060/ref=sr_1_1

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I really dislike this trilogy, I read the first book and 1/3 of the second book had to trash it.
    One book series that was new to me (not overall too long like some) is "The Broken Empire" trilogy by mark Lawrence.

That's interesting, Broken Empire was too dark for me and I called it quits after book 1. I really enjoyed his Book of the Ancestor trilogy though

#8 2 years ago

Dragonlance, particularly the Chronicles and Legends trilogies. Don't go too far outside the stuff by Weiss and Hickman though. Legends is where it gets really good.
    Raymond Feist's "Magician" series.
    Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir was pretty good, kind of a mish-mash of fantasy, sci-fi, and pseudo-horror.

I used to really enjoy some of the Piers Anthony stuff, but tried re-reading it again a few years ago and it just didn't stick. Some creative stuff though, particularly "On A Pale Horse".

#9 2 years ago

Patrick Rothfuss: Kingkiller Chronicle. Only 2 of 3 are currently published, but they are great.

#10 2 years ago

I have not revisited them in many years, but I remember enjoying the Dragonriders of Pern. The first in the series won both the Hugo and Nebula awards.

#11 2 years ago

The storm light archive by Brandon Sanderson? Way of kings is the first book in the series.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from jester523:

The storm light archive by Brandon Sanderson? Way of kings is the first book in the series.

That one looks good!

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Patrick Rothfuss: Kingkiller Chronicle. Only 2 of 3 are currently published, but they are great.

These are great but I don't see how they wrap it up in just 1 more book. The story after 2 seems like it's not even at halftime yet. Could be waiting a while. I did really enjoy them and am looking forward to the conclusion.

Quoted from jester523:

These are great as well as the Mistborne books which are all set in the same universe (Cosmere). Sanderson has a road map published and the two series are supposed to intertwine. Lots more books planned. Sanderson thus far has a solid track record of sticking to his schedules.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

These are great but I don't see how they wrap it up in just 1 more book. The story after 2 seems like it's not even at halftime yet. Could be waiting a while. I did really enjoy them and am looking forward to the conclusion.

Possible… though I believe Rothfuss himself has said the third book will not be anywhere near as long as book two.

#15 2 years ago

Without question top recommendation is the Belgariad series by David Eddings.

Series is 5 books, and a breezy read (~300 pgs each). Phenomenal, well-written characters, with a lot of great dialogue and casual humor. Can't recommend them highly enough.

He did a follow-up series which is also 5 books called the Mallorean, as well as two additional summary/prequel type books (Belgarath and Polgara).

All twelve are read every couple of years in our household, by either me, my wife, or our oldest son.

Well worth the time.

Later,
    EV

#16 2 years ago

I assume after The Hobbit and LOTR that you went ahead and read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales?

C.S. Lewis' Narnia series. Props if you can find Collier paperback boxed set from the 70's, for the nostalgia, artwork by Pauline Baynes, and the old paperback aroma.

Neil Hancock's Circle Of Light series, and its related Atlanton Earth books.

Anything by Clark Ashton Smith. Though many of his stories were set in the world of the Cthulhu mythos, he wrote much standalone fantastic fiction, though still with a weird bent. Try The City of the Singing Flame or The Dark Eidolon.

R.E. Howard's Conan books and stories, and also those by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter.

#17 2 years ago

I love Sanderson books. The Way of Kings will start you on epic journey

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:I assume after The Hobbit and LOTR that you went ahead and read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales?
    C.S. Lewis' Narnia series. Props if you can find Collier paperback boxed set from the 70's, for the nostalgia, artwork by Pauline Baynes, and the old paperback aroma.
    Neil Hancock's Circle Of Light series, and its related Atlanton Earth books.
    Anything by Clark Ashton Smith. Though many of his stories were set in the world of the Cthulhu mythos, he wrote much standalone fantastic fiction, though still with a weird bent. Try The City of the Singing Flame or The Dark Eidolon.
    R.E. Howard's Conan books and stories, and also those by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter.

Good suggestions!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I love Sanderson books. The Way of Kings will start you on epic journey

Yep, I think that's what I'll start with!

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Yep, I think that's what I'll start with!

A good decision!

20211107_183216 (resized).jpg20211107_183216 (resized).jpg
    #21 2 years ago

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

This is the logical next read if you enjoyed LOTR and Shanarrah. Also, A Song Of Ice And Fire is worth reading even if you already watched GOT.

This might be a dumb question but have you read Harry Potter? Don’t miss that series if somehow you haven’t done it yet.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy25:

This is the logical next read if you enjoyed LOTR and Shanarrah. Also, A Song Of Ice And Fire is worth reading even if you already watched GOT.
    This might be a dumb question but have you read Harry Potter? Don’t miss that series if somehow you haven’t done it yet.

Never a huge Harry Potter fan. Watched the movies when the kids were younger. I think I read the first book at one point.

#23 2 years ago

I read the Harry Potter series to my sons while I was reading the Dark Tower series.Just read the small Gunslinger first book and see if you like it.

#24 2 years ago

Never a huge Harry Potter fan. Watched the movies when the kids were younger. I think I read the first book at one point.

1st book is ok at best
    2nd is decent
    3rd is where it really starts to hit a good stride.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy25:

I'm not sure.
    I started reading these because of Sanderson. I'm just about to finally start the books Sanderson wrote, but I'm ready for it to be over. Kinda just feel like I'm spite reading them now. I obviously enjoy them because I've read 11 books at this point, but the end will still be welcomed.

#26 2 years ago

Any Dresden Files love here?
    Modern day wizard tales set in Chicago. All the books are individual stories, but have continuity. The recommend I got when I started was skip the first 2 books because the author had previously done some noir stuff and they are kinda cringy. Would recommend. The book Dead Beats is one I still think about. Such a fun read. These aren't complete yet either, but there is apparently a set end coming in a couple books.

#27 2 years ago

Wheel of Time--- by about book 4 you will want to cry and have all your wasted time back. Would avoid.

Sanderson---- Great-- except maybe his young adult series Steelhart. Starsight was good though (but not as good as Mistborn, Way of Kings, etc)

The Curse of Chalion-- by Lois McMaster Bujold is a gem-- worth a look for sure.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Any Dresden Files love here?
    Modern day wizard tales set in Chicago. All the books are individual stories, but have continuity. The recommend I got when I started was skip the first 2 books because the author had previously done some noir stuff and they are kinda cringy. Would recommend. The book Dead Beats is one I still think about. Such a fun read. These aren't complete yet either, but there is apparently a set end coming in a couple books.

I'm reading Changes at the moment. Dead Beats was probably my favorite, too. I also really liked Small Favor. I like the coin stuff haha

#29 2 years ago

Years ago, I read and liked the Elric of Melnibone series.

#30 2 years ago

Here is one I really liked, read it in the 80s and then re-read it a few years ago and it held up. Lots of magic and magical creatures etc. But what I like about it is that it takes a regular person from Earth and puts him in a fantasy setting and he can't decide if it's a real event or is he just dreaming it.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

s-l640 (resized).jpegs-l640 (resized).jpeg

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from bitternerd:

The Curse of Chalion-- by Lois McMaster Bujold is a gem-- worth a look for sure.

I’ll need to check out that series by her. I’m up to about book #10 in a different series by her- The Vorkosigan Stories. Doing it on audiobooks it goes really fast and entertaining. Not too deep but she builds some great worlds and characters with added humor.

#32 2 years ago

If you want to go old school, give the Odyssey a shot. Translation by Robert Fagles is good (suggest to skip the Illiad at first).

There are also some good recent Beowulf translations. I read one by Seamus Heaney and then Maria Headley back-to-back.

Either would have legs as a pinball theme I think!

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Years ago, I read and liked the Elric of Melnibone series.

Agreed! Many more series in the same Elric multiverse too - Corum, Count Brass, Erekose, Hawkmoon, Jerry Cornelius, etc.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

If you want to go old school, give the Odyssey a shot.

An excellent suggestion!

Along those lines, I'd suggest some Irish/Celtic lore:

W. B. Yeats the Celtic Twilight
    Celtic Twilight (resized).jpgCeltic Twilight (resized).jpg

Lady Gregory's Gods and Fighting Men
    Gods and Fighting Men (resized).jpgGods and Fighting Men (resized).jpg

Táin Bó Cuailnge or as it is more commonly known, The Cattle Raid of Cooley. It's from the seventh century Ulster Cycle (but is probably far older via oral tradition).
    The Ta?in (resized).jpgThe Ta?in (resized).jpg

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Here is one I really liked, read it in the 80s and then re-read it a few years ago and it held up. Lots of magic and magical creatures etc. But what I like about it is that it takes a regular person from Earth and puts him in a fantasy setting and he can't decide if it's a real event or is he just dreaming it.
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
    [quoted image]

Looks interesting... Kind of a Narnia vibe?

#36 2 years ago

Looks interesting... Kind of a Narnia vibe?

It’s kind of darker brooding, like he should be as powerful as Gandalf for example but he doesn’t want to believe it so he doesn’t use his power.

But the idea is when he gets bonked on the head or near death in the real world he slips into the fantasy world.

The other book I linked above Princes of Amber. The main characters actually live in a fantasy world like a multiverse so the can shift into what we would call our real world.

1 month later
    #37 2 years ago

#38 2 years ago

The Way of Kings.

It is my favorite book series by my favorite author. After reading this vook series I am reading his other books. 10/10 would recommend. It is not even the best book in the series. Unique ideas, flawed characters, great world building. Bridge Four!

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The Way of Kings.
    It is my favorite book series by my favorite author. After reading this vook series I am reading his other books. 10/10 would recommend. It is not even the best book in the series. Unique ideas, flawed characters, great world building. Bridge Four!

Got the first book for Christmas. Very excited to get into this world. Big 1,000 page book, love it! Will start reading it this week.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-fantasy-book-series?hl=bitternerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.