PXL_20230918_204021826 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_222344803 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_222455720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_222909867 (resized).jpg
fg-3_(resized).jpg
fg-2_(resized).jpg
fg-1_(resized).jpg
mockup_(resized).jpg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Where the plug goes? (Or what voltages are expected?

Service port in the front right inside of the game near the power supply. That's why the cable is so long. Requires both 5v and 12v so the 3 pin .093 should have all wires connected.

#52 8 years ago

Mine arrived too! Looks great. Feet need a little straightening, but looks good otherwise. Be sure to test it, even if you don't have the game yet, as Dan sent an email saying some of the screens are either not powering up or resetting after a few minutes. If you have an issue with yours, contact Dan and an alternate power adapter will be sent to fix the issue.

Todd

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Habeboo:

Toppers have started shipping and will continue in batches for the next 2 weeks. Below is a link to a quick video of the faster animation for those who requested it. We may have a few more when the run is done but then that's it. Thanks again everyone
» YouTube video

if you have an extra please inbox me

1 week later
#54 8 years ago

Got mine installed and wired tonight...one word...OUTSTANDING!!! Looks way better than the video ( everything always does) and Dan is a great guy to deal with....period. Highly recommend this mod!!!...rumor is he has a few more left. Thank you again for a great product!!!....Mark

3 months later
#55 7 years ago

Spoke with Dan from Tilt Toppers and he is currently putting a list together for another run of the drunken clam topper. He will obviously need some confirmations and interest from a group of people to start another run. From my understanding there is some other son the list he has started. If you would like one of these topper please contact Dan or we can start a running list here to get interest built up.

Copy and paste and add your name if interested in a topper... hopefully we can get a large enough list together

1. J_Striker

11 months later
#56 6 years ago

Hoping another run happens on these,I emailed my interest.Family guy was on my wish list for a long time and after getting my hands on one this last year adding this topper would be the icing on the cake!

1 month later
#57 6 years ago

I had completely forgotten about this after it was produced. I was searching but couldn't find a nice example machine to purchase all this time up until 4 months ago. Now that I finally own one I need one of these!!!!

2 years later
#58 3 years ago

Good Morning,

Would like to order one of these toppers.

Respectfully

~Joey

3 years later
#59 8 months ago

Hello to everyone that bought one of these Family Guy toppers 7+ years ago now? Wow! Time flies.

The LCD animation photo frame starting giving me issues about 2 - 3 years later. I would notice the animation wasn't working. I had it plugged in so the picture frame never went off when the game was turned off. I would unplug the AC adapter for a few seconds, plug it back in and then the frame would work for months. Then it started doing this every week, then every few days. I tried ordering different AC adapters off Amazon that had a little more amperage.
That seems to work for a bit. Then all I got was the swirly in the LCD panel and then it would die.

So the last 4 years or so, no animation. I hate to not try to
fix this. I have tried to locate the original picture frame Tilttopper used by contact them but is no longer available.

Anyone here that has this topper have the animation still working as it was originally designed?

If not, did anyone find an alternate picture frame or fix to resurrect one of the coolest toppers made ever at that time?

#60 8 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Anyone here that has this topper have the animation still working as it was originally designed?

Purchased a Family Guy which had this already installed from Williams Amusements in the UK 18months ago, the animation still works

#61 8 months ago

I have one that still works

#62 8 months ago

Dang, both of you are lucky. I guess I got the runt of the batch then.

Not sure how many of these were made and delivered..I sort of remember about 18-20. If anyone knows differently, please chime in.

#63 8 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Dang, both of you are lucky. I guess I got the runt of the batch then.
Not sure how many of these were made and delivered..I sort of remember about 18-20. If anyone knows differently, please chime in.

My animation died years ago on my FG Tilt topper. If anyone has a solution, we'd appreciate the help.

QSS

#64 8 months ago

is it a screen with removable storage? Or a screen+additional driver?

It could be a storage problem/corruption if that part is replaceable...

#65 8 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

is it a screen with removable storage? Or a screen+additional driver?
It could be a storage problem/corruption if that part is replaceable...

Having had to replace mine (when it was under warranty), it's some kind of photo frame viewer - uses an SD card to hold an animation of the clam.
(Sadly, this was back when they were released, so I do not recall the maker of the frame - it's in storage now, and I won't e able to check or help until I get the house built.)

#66 8 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Having had to replace mine (when it was under warranty), it's some kind of photo frame viewer - uses an SD card to hold an animation of the clam.
(Sadly, this was back when they were released, so I do not recall the maker of the frame - it's in storage now, and I won't e able to check or help until I get the house built.)

That's a good sign... a chance that these folks could at least do basic steps like

1) replace the card with a known good loaded image (address potential corruption)
2) check common voltages (looking for power/gnd breaks or bad transformer/regulator)

#67 8 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That's a good sign... a chance that these folks could at least do basic steps like
1) replace the card with a known good loaded image (address potential corruption)
2) check common voltages (looking for power/gnd breaks or bad transformer/regulator)

Yeah -
Again, this is from memory a while back, so take these with a grain of salt - but the frame uses a 5v input, and it's a normal SD card. I do NOT remember the format of the video file. If the SD card is bad, I would test it by getting a new SD card (SMALL in size - FAT formatted, not an XC card, so like 8Gb max) and copy a small AVI (not MKV, not MP4) file over and see if it displays. Then try an MP4 file.

Try a high-current wall wart as well..

If that checks out, and it plays, then we can see about finding the animation used. (If it's not out on youtube or something... when I get out to my storage in a few weeks, I can see if I can find the box with the topper in it, and grab the SD card out of mine.)

#68 8 months ago

I worked w/ Dan at Tilttoper over 2 year period trying to get replacement picture frame at my expense or any ideas to fix.
The picture frame is a odd ball and he only bought so many to make the toppers and they aren't available anymore that I can see.

I bought this frame from Amazon in Aug 2021 to try an make it work.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-ADPF07SF-Digital-Photo-Frame/dp/B00180KAX8

The frame could fit physically in the topper as a replacement. I couldn't get the 3 frame clam animation video to work on it at power up of the new frame off the SD card.

I think it was a AVI file but the new frame wouldn't play it. I tried to convert in to MP3 and MP4 to no avail...

Added 7 months ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Picture-Storage-Auto-Rotate-Anywhere/dp/B0BWSYHYNF

This is the 7" Digital frame I used, not the AllurTek name. It should be BYYBUO.

#69 8 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I worked w/ Dan at Tilttoper over 2 year period trying to get replacement picture frame at my expense or any ideas to fix.
The picture frame is a odd ball and he only bought so many to make the toppers and they aren't available anymore that I can see.
I bought this frame from Amazon in Aug 2021 to try an make it work.
https://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-ADPF07SF-Digital-Photo-Frame/dp/B00180KAX8
The frame could fit physically in the topper as a replacement. I couldn't get the 3 frame clam animation video to work on it at power up of the new frame off the SD card.
I think it was a AVI file but the new frame wouldn't play it. I tried to convert in to MP3 and MP4 to no avail...

If you post a link to the file others can help. Avi is a container so the actual codec in use can vary. Just need to use the right container and codec compatible with the screen

Eta - unfortunately the one you linked doesn’t support video.

#70 8 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If you post a link to the file others can help. Avi is a container so the actual codec in use can vary. Just need to use the right container and codec compatible with the screen
Eta - unfortunately the one you linked doesn’t support video.

Mmmm. that could be the reason then...8-) Let me see if I can find one that does video.
I will pull my original SD card from my broken frame and see what files it contains.
It's been 2 years since I fiddled with this. I can't remember if it was one video file or three pics in a row.

#71 8 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

It's been 2 years since I fiddled with this. I can't remember if it was one video file or three pics in a row.

Mine was just one video file...

#72 8 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Mine was just one video file...

Yep. It's an .AVI file.
Just looked at the SD card.
So I need to find a 7" Picture frame that plays AVI files on power up.

#73 8 months ago

This one may work. It's takes a MicroSD card. It's way overloaded with features I'll never use or need thou.
I actually have one of these my son and wife game me that he always can send pics or videos too from his trips and grandkids.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Picture-Storage-Auto-Rotate-Anywhere/dp/B0BWSYHYNF/ref=sr_1_4

Not willing to risk screwing this one up to test the .AVI file on it thou.

It's on sale for $44 so price is good.

Someone creative could add video clips from the show on it too to really dress it up but I'm not that talented.

#74 8 months ago

Looks like the new 7" frame I got from Amazon today won't play AVI files out of the starting gate.
I believe the original file was a .AVI file as I found where I had made a copy to my PC and possible tried to convert it years ago.

I've already converted the AVI file to a MP4 file of the clam animation and it plays on my PC.

This new frame doesn't make it easy to copy this MP4 to the frame as there is no Micro SD slot or SD Card slot. There is a skiny slot but no documentation.
Manual states I can add a NTFS or FAT32 formatted SD card but there is no place to install it that I can see.

Update:

So this "slot" is for a TF card. I just learned about this. They say you can put a MicroSD card into a TF slot when I Google the difference. No problem they say.
Not so sure. It looks like it will disappear into the picture frame slot...
I don't want MicroSD 8GB card to fall inside the frame as it sure looks like it will and will have to perform surgery on the picture frame to get it out.

#75 8 months ago

Update: Yes, The TF slot will take the MicroSD card in this frame. But be very careful when inserting it. I pushed it in so the top edge of the card was flush with the slot and I was able to copy the MP4 file to the onboard frame memory. I had to use a push pin to be able to apply leverage to the 1/64" top of the microSD card to finagle it out of the TF slot. It would have easily gone past the frame slot edge if I let it and that would have been a disaster to try and remove it.

The good news is the converted animation of the clam AVI file to a MP4 file worked! It plays on frame automatically on startup.

Next step will be to see how hard this will be to install in the topper after removing the old picture frame, or if it's practical to do.

#76 8 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Update: Yes, The TF slot will take the MicroSD card in this frame. But be very careful when inserting it. I pushed it in so the top edge of the card was flush with the slot and I was able to copy the MP4 file to the onboard frame memory. I had to use a push pin to be able to apply leverage to the 1/64" top of the microSD card to finagle it out of the TF slot. It would have easily gone past the frame slot edge if I let it and that would have been a disaster to try and remove it.
The good news is the converted animation of the clam AVI file to a MP4 file worked! It plays on frame automatically on startup.
Next step will be to see how hard this will be to install in the topper after removing the old picture frame, or if it's practical to do.

Sounds like you're making progress. Nice work. Maybe you can help some of us rescue our toppers which were very cool when they were working.

QSS

#77 8 months ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Sounds like you're making progress. Nice work. Maybe you can help some of us rescue our toppers which were very cool when they were working.
QSS

Will be more than glad to help. I can supply the converted Clam.MP4 from the original AVI format to whoever needs it.

Currently, I have pulled the old frame out of the topper. I had to use Xacto knife to cut thru 3-4 double sided sticky pads that held the frame in place.
I will need to order something similar to mount the new frame against the plexiglass oval window.

Lots going on with the upcoming hurricane Idalia that is supposed to hit late Tuesday night into Wednesday AM but hoping/praying for minimal impact for all in FL. So will update when I have more time.

1 week later
#78 7 months ago

Update: So frame is working well, running the 3 pic animation as a MP4 video file for days.

Since new frame displays the date of the video in the lower left as it's playing, I figure some black electrical tape will come in handy there. Also in the lower left corner where the PLAY/PAUSE touchscreen button is.

So after temporarily sizing up/placing the frame in, it's gonna fit just fine behind the oval clear window on the topper with the animation looping unhindered.

I'm thinking a "U" shaped frame might be good so I can "DROP" the new frame down in front of the clear window. This is so it can be easily pulled up for removal if neccesary.

Thinking of making the U frame out of wood strips or find a picture frame close enough to modify/cut off one side to make it fit. Then this new frame will be superglued in place on the backside of the front plexiglass making sure when the picture frame is dropped down from the top, that it will align perfectly to the oval clear window as the original picture frame did.

Anyone have an idea for the best way to make this U shaped frame to hold the new 7" digital picture frame? I'd love to hear ideas. I'm still thinking of best options before I procede to the next step.

#79 7 months ago

New working 7" digital frame in topper.

#80 7 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

New working 7" digital frame in topper.

Great job, looks awesome. Now we just need all the details (in laymen's terms for us laymen's) so we can get our toppers back up and running.

QSS

#81 7 months ago

Still a work in progress.
PM me your email if you want the converted AVI file which runs as a MP4 on the new frame.

Here is a link to the BYYBUO new frame which I listed incorrectly earlier w/ AllurTek brand:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Picture-Storage-Auto-Rotate-Anywhere/dp/B0BWSYHYNF

Still haven't made the "U" shaped frame so I can slide the picture frame up and out as needed.

Pretty sure iI will construct it out of some type of "L" shaped trim channel that I will use two sided tape to hold the frame in postition.

It's a slow work in progress so no hurry up here....

#82 7 months ago

Thanks CUJO. email address sent.

Looking forward to getting my Family Guy topper back up and running.

QSS

#83 7 months ago

Thanks CUJO. email address sent.
Looking forward to getting my Family Guy topper back up and running.
QSS

Checking for your email now...

#84 7 months ago

File received. Looking forward to a winter project getting my topper back up and running.

Thanks CUJO.

QSS

#85 7 months ago

File received. Looking forward to a winter project getting my topper back up and running.
Thanks CUJO.
QSS

Might want to get that photo frame from Amazon soon too. You never know when they may go out of stock or that particular model goes vaporware.

I have verified that Byybuo model works with the MP4 animation file.

#86 7 months ago

That topper's awesome! I don't even own a FG and I'd have bought one. That's how nice it is.

I saw no price posted up. What was the original price on this?

Kudos to you CUJO! Super nice of you to find that frame, figure everything out and share it with everyone. You Rock!

#87 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

That topper's awesome! I don't even own a FG and I'd have bought one. That's how nice it is.
I saw no price posted up. What was the original price on this?
Kudos to you CUJO! Super nice of you to find that frame, figure everything out and share it with everyone. You Rock!

Thanks for the kind words.

I worked with Tiltopper off and on over the last couple years gathering "intel" to try to contact the original maker of the picture frame but they are vaporware now. The technology of the original picture frame is nothing close to what's available now for less $$$.

Just looked it the topper price. It was right at $300. I bought mine 12/2015.

#88 7 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Just looked it the topper price. It was right at $300. I bought mine 12/2015.

$300!!? WOW! WHAT A DEAL! Congrats to all who scored them.

YW on the kind words and thanks for sharing the price, if only for posterity sake, moving forward. Especially in the land of $2k to $3k toppers now a days. Lol

#89 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

$300!!? WOW! WHAT A DEAL! Congrats to all who scored them.
YW on the kind words and thanks for sharing the price, if only for posterity sake, moving forward. Especially in the land of $2k to $3k toppers now a days. Lol

Prices were much nicer back in 2015. I think NIB Stern Pro's were going for about $4500 then?
Now we are at $6900 for Pro models.

My Family Guy NIB from Pinballsales.Com in 4/2007 was only $3950 shipped! Those were great days.
Stern quality overall was so much better too for that time.

#90 7 months ago

Update: Purchased a 24" length of foam from Michael's yesterday. $3.99
Used a miter block & razor blade saw to saw three pieces to form the "U". Used super glue for the (2) corners.
Next step will be to add 2-sided 3M peel & stick tape to secure the foam frame in the "window" oval of the plexiglass. (To Be Continued)
see pics

PXL_20230917_222344803 (resized).jpgPXL_20230917_222344803 (resized).jpgPXL_20230917_222455720 (resized).jpgPXL_20230917_222455720 (resized).jpgPXL_20230917_222909867 (resized).jpgPXL_20230917_222909867 (resized).jpg
#91 7 months ago

2 sided tape applied, "U" foam frame placed into position, 7" digital frame fits just as I hoped.
Will place another piece of foam between the back of the picture frame and the back plexiglass for support to keep the frame pressed up against the back of the front plexiglass oval window.

PXL_20230918_204021826 (resized).jpgPXL_20230918_204021826 (resized).jpg
#92 7 months ago

Here's a 12 second video of the topper back in operation.

Little did I know that the white foam strips would pick up the orange LED lighting that shoots thru to the edges of the plexiglass.

Oh well, I will imagine those two vertical strips illuminated in orange as two floodlights, like a grand opening of Family Guy!!!

Just a heads up for others following my lead here. You may want to get black foam strips that won't absord the orange light.

#93 7 months ago

Looks great nice work

#94 7 months ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Looks great nice work

Thanks!

Buttoned everything up today, all back together and it's lookin' good!

I bought a 6' brown extension cord from Ace hardware to connect the digital frame AC Adapter in the backbox.
Then ran the extension cord down the right side hole in the head to the bottom of cabinet and secured it thru the wire clips to the front of the cabinet and plugged AC into the power switch box or whatever the technical name is.

The frame stays on 24/7 which is fine with me, just as the original did, till it quit.

I thought of tying into 5V line in one of the boards in the backbox but decided not to risk it.
Just as easy to run the extension cord.

Also the digital frame warns of an abrupt power off (might corrupt the files).
It takes about a full minute after it powers up to auto play the animation too so another factor to just leave it on 24/7.

Let me know if anyone needs any info I may have left out. Also I have the converted AVI file to MP4.
You're gonna need the MP4 file. The new frame won't play AVI files. PM me if you need it.

CuJo

#95 7 months ago

Another plus with the new digital frame is that you can set the time that it goes on and off automatically.
I set it to come on at 10AM EST and go off at 2AM EST.

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-family-guy-drunken-clam-animated-topper/page/2?hl=brian541 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.