7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Plumonium
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I've only bothered to measure this twice, but both times it's been true:
    New EOS switches (shiny, goldish except for the contact surface) (from pbr and pbl) measure 0.6-0.9 ohms out of circuit.
    Old EOS switches (black, with some white residue, slightly pitted) (pulled from a super straight and a Meteor) measure 0.2-0.4 ohms out of circuit.
    Same measuring system (attach leads to ends, then clamp switch closed).

Seems to me that, if your eos has a higher resistance, that's going to make the stroke weaker? And I'd assume that a brand new eos should be 'better' than the old ones.

Am I doing something wrong here, or are new materials not as good as 'worn in' old materials?

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

And I'd assume that a brand new eos should be 'better' than the old ones.

I have seen new switches with some sort of anti corrosion coating on the contacts. I clean new switches with acetone before installing.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

I have seen new switches with some sort of anti corrosion coating on the contacts. I clean new switches with acetone before installing.

Yes, I have also been finding more and more often, new switches have been coming with some sort of "film" on the contact points. I'm certain it's some sort of corrosion fighter. I now swab all new switches prior to installation with 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean off any "coatings" that might be present (even though you can't see it).

#4 7 years ago

The eos does not have a "stoke power". Depending on the system ie either opens turning off the high power, or closes shorting the circuit to the low power state. It's only for holding the flipper, not moving it.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

The eos does not have a "stoke power". Depending on the system ie either opens turning off the high power, or closes shorting the circuit to the low power state. It's only for holding the flipper, not moving it.

The power for moving the flipper goes through the eos. The power for holding the flipper does not, as the switch has opened. The conductivity of the eos affects the strength of the upstroke, not the hold

Quoted from KenLayton:

Yes, I have also been finding more and more often, new switches have been coming with some sort of "film" on the contact points. I'm certain it's some sort of corrosion fighter. I now swab all new switches prior to installation with 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean off any "coatings" that might be present (even though you can't see it).

Interesting! I cleaned mine with alcohol and the resistance dropped to 0.5-0.6. Will dig up some acetone...

#6 7 years ago

I have discovered this a few months ago when installing new EOS's on Spy Hunter. I was measuring the resistance of the old switches and went to compare them to the new ones. I was very surprised to find the new switches had a higher reading. 12 to 15 ohms, which is way too high. I cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol and got them down to .2 to .5 ohms which is acceptable. You also want to make sure that the tension is tight against the contacts by bending the leaves slightly towards each other to make them tight.

#7 7 years ago

Once in circuit, a few sparks should clean them right up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-eos-higher-resistance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.