(Topic ID: 20770)

New England pinball show?

By eabundy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you like to have a New England Fall Pinball Show?”

• Don't Care.. Too far away etc.. 19 votes
      14%
    • Yes 108 votes
      81%
    • No 2 votes
      2%
    • Bad Idea, wouldn't get enough attendance to cover the cost of a large hall. 4 votes
      3%

(133 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-173.jpg
    image-399.jpg
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 9 years ago

I'd like for this to happen. Jersey Jack Pinball is in NJ and wouldn't have to travel to Chicago or something for some Pinball festival, just a 5-6 hour drive. Many collectors/people who play Pinball in the Northeast.

#102 9 years ago

Jjp travels to Allentown every year for the show. I know Jack would be happy to attend a new england show for sure.

#103 9 years ago

This is too good to be true!

#104 9 years ago

As one of the people who ran the New England PinFest from 1991 to 1995, I can report some experiences from back then. We tried locations in Rhode Island and near Hartford. That helped us get vendors from New York, but diluted the New England feel. I endorse the idea of something in the area around Worcester. The rockabilly fans found a good site in Sturbridge, MA (http://www.newenglandshakeup.com/).

We tried a tournament one year, but we found that people mainly wanted to play in the free-play area, plus make deals in the flea market area. We didn't consider seminars. We did have a raffle every year.

When considering a venue, you need to think about more than just space. Do they have restrictions on loading the equipment or setting up electricity? Are they looking to sell food? If they have a permanent on-site game room, will there be problems with that supplier? Do they have their own supply of tables? Do they have in-house A-V staff? Are they really set up for an event to which the public is invited, or just for conferences?

New England was one of the first regions of the USA to try a regional show after Pinball Expo set the precedent for pinball events. We couldn't sustain the pace (people always wanted more, a bigger show next year), so we retired from doing it. Getting firm commitments for people to bring free-play games was the biggest hassle. Some of those problems may be easier to solve nowadays.
    .................David Marston

#105 9 years ago

Boston!

It has an awesome convention center that has large room for all types of events, is home to most of the major Boston Pinball Association members (including me ) and can attract large crowds! I'm sure people cruising the area can spark interest in the New England show and help bring pinball back again. It could turn Boston into a pinball mecca like Portland OR if the show is a success.

#106 9 years ago

To sound like a broken record, it's New England pinball show not Boston pinball show. Worcester or as Dave Marston suggested possibly, Sturbridge. Worcester is very centrally located , has a good mix of Interstates and Highways into the area as well. Hey Boston would be great for me as I can get there in 10 minutes. But it's not about me, it's about the pinheads in NEW ENGLAND and beyond like NY, NJ, PA, Quebec...

Dave Marston mentioned some very good points to consider. Supposedly there is someone working on a NE show but not having a show until 2015.
    Personally, I think the way to do this right, is form a committee of Volunteers to gauge how much interest is involved. (From what I see and hear, there is a lot of interest in a NE show) Next the Committee would make proposals and hash them out. Location, Dates, What types of events to have at the show, food, swap, tech work, etc. The committee could also take input from others here and take those into account. They would also talk to the organizers of many of the other pin shows out there for do's, dont's and never's!

As far as who makes up this "Committee", I would say first, Folks who have the Time and Energy to work on this and see it through until completion. I also would give preferences to the Guys in NE who have been at this Pin passion for years and know the scene inside and out. Most importantly, all on the committee would need to leave their EGOs at the Door!

IDK, but NE is not a big area. Why we don't have our own show is beyond me. It doesn't have to be a fancy over the top type of show. In fact the first year there should be issues and mistakes and lessons learned. That would make the 2nd year show all that much better!!
    I just am hoping that somehow this gets done.

1 week later
    #107 9 years ago

I'd make the drive out for a New England show. Sturbridge, Worcester, Marlboro - all good. Think that's the best central location for it. I bet you could expect a large % turnout of any NE league players. and it sounds like the Albany area would be well represented. Weekend or two after Labor Day... Go down to Shrewsbury Street Worcester for some great food.

#108 9 years ago

I'm in NH and I think the Worcester area would be great. It is centrally located to New Hampshire, Boston, Maine and Connecticut. I'll be there!

1 month later
    #109 9 years ago

Any new updates on this?

#110 9 years ago

Was in the works, spent 4 months playing it out. Had a 50k sqft convention center and 400 room hotel. I had a date set for sept 18,2015. There's a lot of factors why but unfortunately it looks like I'm not going forward with the show. Was looking to do a show the size of Allentown.
    - with pappa becoming a 110k sqft show instead of just a tournent 3-4 weeks before my event planning.
    - responses of will not attend from 18 out of 20 vendors I emailed, just one maybe and two said yes.
    And a bunch more issues I don't want to get into. Sorry guys I thought I was going to make it happen.
    Here's a picture of the logo I had made. Nepaax (New England pinball and arcade expo) is off the table for nowimage-173.jpgimage-173.jpg

3 weeks later
    #111 9 years ago

How about a smaller show September 2015? Worth doing?

#112 9 years ago

Any show that would be in New England is worth doing!

Don't get me wrong, I'd still go to Allentown and stuff, but a show dedicated to us New Englanders is a must!

I think a new and fresh thread needs to be started on this topic IMO.

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

responses of will not attend from 18 out of 20 vendors I emailed, just one maybe and two said yes.
    And a bunch more issues I don't want to get into. Sorry guys I thought I was going to make it happen.
    Here's a picture of the logo I had made. Nepaax (New England pinball and arcade expo) is off the table for now

Here is my two cents, if you guys really want a show than go ahead and do it. It doesn't have to be at the Fleet Center.
    If a group of pinball guys can get together and figure out how to break even in a small venue than it its totally worth it.
    All we need is pinball and we are happy. So maybe one vendor shows up, okay well we wish more would be there but who cares. You guys should prove to them that you can put together a small show YEAR one and than watch all the vendors flock to the show for tables in year two. A solid group of pinheads working together can make this a reality.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

Here is my two cents, if you guys really want a show than go ahead and do it. It doesn't have to be at the Fleet Center.
    If a group of pinball guys can get together and figure out how to break even in a small venue than it its totally worth it.
    All we need is pinball and we are happy. So maybe one vendor shows up, okay well we wish more would be there but who cares. You guys should prove to them that you can put together a small show YEAR one and than watch all the vendors flock to the show for tables in year two. A solid group of pinheads working together can make this a reality.

Well said brothah! I agree 1000%.

#115 9 years ago

If something gets done it will be for the love of pinball.

#116 9 years ago

What if we start with a meet in Pelham at pinball wizard? We could have a little meeting of the New England people and see what we can figure out?

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-england-pinball-show/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.