• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmnt-1.png
#1 9 years ago

I bought the following power supply on ebay: ebay.com link: itm

So... saga... TMNT prototype... have had issues for over a year. Replaced the power supply with rottendog a year ago... everything fixed. 6 months after that... machine died again. Sent to Clive for 4 months and couldn't fix it (aftermarket). Ordered this ebay part and plugged it in tonight. Machine powers up again and I was really excited. Problem is the pop bumpers and side kickers just won't 'pop.' They give about 10% of the pop they are supposed to. I'm assuming they just aren't getting enough juice and maybe it's this switching circuit mentioned in the ebay add?

Thoughts? Perhaps I need a youtube lesson in voltmeters to check? What voltage should I be looking for.

Any techs in Frederick MD? Thought I had it all fixed!!!

#2 9 years ago

have you checked the plug that goes into this and the other boards?

#3 9 years ago

Have checked all connections... to no avail.

#4 9 years ago

Will have to watch this thread. Almost bought one this week but decided i will tried to fix my hacked up board first.

#5 9 years ago

Voltage is important obviously, but amperage is also important when it comes to the strength of the pops. What you'll want to do first probe the PSU and watch for voltage drops when the coils are activated, it is also expected to see a small voltage drop whenever a coil is activated. A large drop of several volts is not good though, andf could mean that there is an issue on the MPU, perhaps a faulty driver or pre-driver transistor that is shorting and pulling down volts when activated, or the PSU itself it under-rated in the amperage department to drive the coils properly. This is all speculative though, since I don't have the stuff in front of me to check it out. Solder connections to the coils as well are always crucial for proper power transfer. The fact it worked previously leads me to believe you may need to examine you secondary transformer incoming lines. You could have a faulty off-board rectifier.

#6 9 years ago

That was very complicated thedefog! What it really sounds like is I need to find a friend to help in the DC Metro area. I'm afraid I will never get this pin up and running again without some help!!!

#7 9 years ago

Sorry for being complicated. You can put your meter in AC mode and check the ac voltage that supplies the coils power and make sure that is healthy. Then from there on, you check the DC voltages after the ac has been rectified and make sure they're straight. Just follow the schematics.

So here is your power transformer in the bottom of the cab:
tmnt-1.pngtmnt-1.png

The right side are you secondary outputs (taps) on the transformer. The two white/red wires are you 25v AC wires for coil power. If you set you meter to AC volts and probe those two wires, it should read 25v AC.

From that point, those two white/red wires go to you PSU to get rectified to DC. I dunno where (looks like on the top right) of that new aftermarket PSU there are several test points. Set you meter to DC and put the black lead on the gnd and make sure all of those test points give you the proper voltages silk-screened onto the psu board. +32v?? should be coil voltage, so one of those test points should read +32vDC.

If it is just the pops that are weak, you have a separate issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 29.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 27.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 5.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ebay-power-supply-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.