IMAG0097[1]_(resized).jpg
IMAG0096[1]_(resized).jpg
IMAG0095[1]_(resized).jpg
IMAG0094[1]_(resized).jpg
IMAG0067[1]_(resized).jpg
IMAG0061[1]_(resized).jpg
IMAG0058[1]_(resized).jpg
IMAG0057[1]_(resized).jpg
There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 8 years ago

will do. have no clips.

#152 8 years ago

j907-6 and j902-6 both feel solid. didn't see any corrosion on any pins anywhere on the board. fuses checked good; brackets weren't loose. the big capacitors looked good too. there may be some "cold" solders on those. not sure that's the right term. some solders were thin or shallow. i'll take a pic.

almost had a heart attack though. i tried claw during game play: didn't work. went into test mode and it didn't work either. i moved the claw a little to the left, so the claw would move during auto run, then it worked. i'm thinking i probably didn't hit the right combo of maneuvers before we replaced that driver board for it to work in test. highly doubt i needed it. no big deal.

#153 8 years ago

IMAG0067[1]_(resized).jpgIMAG0067[1]_(resized).jpg

#154 8 years ago

Ok going to send you a PM

#155 8 years ago

updating the thread, i picked up a HS2 on thursday and just tried the fliptronics board out of that in my DM: no dice. exact same behavior: magnet doesn't fire in-game but everything works fine in test auto run.

#156 8 years ago

Try using the ribbon cable out of the Getaway, it is the one with the 4 connection points.

#157 8 years ago

Take John up on a new ROM, has to be it if all the boards & mechanics are good

#158 8 years ago

swapped ribbon: same thing.

#159 8 years ago

Yeah, take John up on the new rom at this point.. Other than that you could have a bad CPU chip socket.. I cannot think of anything else.

#160 8 years ago

i'm going to try a home rom.

#161 8 years ago

Cannot hurt to try.

#162 8 years ago

home rom installed today: same behavior...

#163 8 years ago

Is the claw moving now left to right/right to left as you turn on the game or during gameplay?
Just wondering if the elevator magnet is the only issue right now.

#164 8 years ago

just the magnet during game play. i can run claw test auto run flawlessly.

#165 8 years ago

Well, you have tried new boards, different ribbon cables, different roms, and we know the magnet is good... I am now officially stumped. The only possible thing I can think of is the socket the rom goes into... could be a scratched trace under it, I would take out the CPU, remove the rom and take a good look at the socket.. I think your Getaway uses the same MPU board... just for the sake of ruling it out, try the CPU from Getaway in Demo with the new rom you got.. If that does not do it, I am out of ideas...

#166 8 years ago

Also check all the solder on the back of the CPU, see if anything looks suspicious, any solder joints that look questionable.. Switching the CPU board should be the next step, could be a bad pin going to the driver board, could be a bad rom socket, last thing I can suggest.

#167 8 years ago

i can try the cpu board swap.

#168 8 years ago

It is all I have left in my bag of tricks.. I cannot imagine what else it could be... the real stumper in this is the fact the magnet works with that one rom, but not an original rom... so weird. At least the CPU is easy to swap.

2 weeks later
#169 8 years ago

Any updates?

#170 8 years ago

no, i've been dragging my feet, playing around with my HS2, chasing down other pins for the collection. i've just been running the demo time, since i've had some friends over playing.

i'll see if i can do this tonight. nothing on tv anymore anyway.

#171 8 years ago

Going to try the CPU swap?

#172 8 years ago

yep.

#173 8 years ago

Please post how it goes, I have been with you alongside for a while on this one...

#174 8 years ago

ok, i'm going in.

guess i just needed a kick in the butt, huh?

#175 8 years ago

cpu board # is a little different.

HS2: A-12742-50004
DM: A-12742-50028

i know we swapped flipper boards with a little different #. i can swap the cpu boards?

#176 8 years ago

You should be fine.

#177 8 years ago

okay. tomorrow, i promise.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

the real stumper in this is the fact the magnet works with that one rom, but not an original rom... so weird.

Not weird at all. Remember that Demo Time was (I believe) made using FreeWPC, which doesn't contain any factory code whatsoever, it is a ground up reimplementation. This means that it may have different requirements for the claw to work, for example the code for driving the switches may be more tolerant of a faulty opto, may work with optos that have failed etc etc.

Really curious to see what the problem is with this one. Might be worth updating your first post with everything you've tried so the information is all in one place.

#179 8 years ago

Sonny

In a previous post, I had mentioned the same thing about the code, and that the OP contact the guy who made the code and check with him in reference to whether or not that was the case. He has no failed opto's we went down that road, he swapped the aux driver board and the fliptronic board, new ribbon cables, check all fuses, and we know the wires are good to the magnet as it works with the demo time code.. my last thought was a problem on the CPU board, specifically the socket he has pulled the rom from several times and tried other roms, my last suggestion was to try the CPU from Getaway. We pretty much have gone though everything, including several roms...

#180 8 years ago

i noticed my ribbon cables are a little off from what the cpu board says. the dmd board is patched in where it says i/o (extend), j201, and the aux board runs to the display connector (j204). the manual agrees with how the cables were physically ran, and the length of cables seems to agree, too. i just thought that was weird.

pulling the getaway board out...

#181 8 years ago

DM board:

IMAG0094[1]_(resized).jpgIMAG0094[1]_(resized).jpg
IMAG0095[1]_(resized).jpgIMAG0095[1]_(resized).jpg

#182 8 years ago

ew, sorry the foot/sock.

#183 8 years ago

HS2 board:

IMAG0096[1]_(resized).jpgIMAG0096[1]_(resized).jpg

IMAG0097[1]_(resized).jpgIMAG0097[1]_(resized).jpg

#184 8 years ago

i still have the getaway flipper board in the DM. does that matter?

#185 8 years ago

uh, yeah. so...it worked. wtf?!!!

#186 8 years ago

can i just keep the boards (flipper/cpu) swapped and forget about it? i'm guessing you guys will say no.

#187 8 years ago

HA!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can put the board in your getaway and see if you encounter any issues with the Getaway, if everything works then you are fine. Really go though the Getaway, test solenoids, switches, etc.. everything..

I thought you would be more excited to see it work?

#188 8 years ago

Your demo man board has 3 holes where the chip is installed that look like then need more solder, if you look at the bottom side of the chip socket, you can see on the far left there is 1 that looks like it needs some, the next looks good and the last 2 look like they need some.. also check each pin the chip goes into, sometimes one of those gets corroded, or bent. As far as the ribbon cables they are fine that way

#189 8 years ago

i think it's more relief than excitement. sorry, man .

it was really nice having another pin i could swap boards with. made troubleshooting a breeze. that's probably the biggest lesson here: have multiple, similar system pins in your collection. that and talk to the pinball gurus on pinside. thanks, again, guys.

i'll need some practice before i try adding solder to that board. i was having issues soldering speaker wires to a speaker on the getaway tonight: my first solder attempt ever. i can take a good look at the socket though.

of course, the million dollar question is why was the demo time working?

#190 8 years ago

Way to hang in there til the end Balboa...very generous sharing of your time to help out the OP, job well done

#191 8 years ago

Thank you cosmo, I appreciate that!

Demo man was working because the code was set up different on that Demo time code, as I stated before, I am sure the code was set up differently than the original code to make the claw work it may have used a different pin to control the claw or something, in your case, something is wrong with the CPU board, I still think that socket, but I could be wrong... do not attempt to solder yourself after what you mentioned, send the CPU board to John Wart, or Chris Hibbler, or K's arcade or Boryguard, or coin op cauldron or anyone else who does board repair, you need that CPU checked out. If you don't want to go that route, check out K's arcade for a replacement rottendog board for 179, the repair would be cheaper and the better way to go..

Again, NOT THE BOARD FOR YOU TO SOLDER if that was your first time soldering, send it out, get it done right!!

#192 8 years ago

balboa, you coming to allentown? lunch on me.

#193 8 years ago

I am seriously considering going to Allentown, trying to find someone to go with me, I hate making that drive alone. What days are you going?

#194 8 years ago

I know pinfest the show near me had a great board repair guy there doing repairs at the show, does Allentown have someone doing board repairs there? If so, you could bring your CPU there. But like I had mentioned you could try it in Getaway and see if everything works.

#195 8 years ago

i think i'll definitely be there on friday. not sure about saturday. probably just friday.

yeah, i may be able get that board in there tonight and test it.

#196 8 years ago

If I go, I would go Fri as well, want to get there when there is more stuff available.

#197 8 years ago

Looks like I will be there Fri... as long as my buddy does not bail out on me!

#198 8 years ago

very nice!

so when i pulled the demo time rom out of the DM cpu board, i noticed a decent amount of scratching on the board under the cpu socket. sorry, should have took a pic, but i was embarrassed since i figured i did that when i originally swapped roms. actually, i don't remember being that aggressive with it. i know i bent some pins not knowing what i was doing, but i really doubt i did that. maybe it was from the previous owner. obviously he played around with roms, too. yeah, we'll blame him/her.

that would do it, right? luckily, it's in my HS2 working; no problems that i can tell. can't really fix that, so i guess if something comes up i'll have to look at new boards.

#199 8 years ago

Hey, if it works, it works. Just go and do a solenoid test on Getaway, and see if all work, if they do, you should still be good. Yes, that would do it, it does not take much to ruin a trace like that. But perhaps you will get lucky and that pin will not be a factor on Getaway...

I am pretty sure it can be fixed if it comes to it, you will not end up buying a new board. But let's hope is just works perfect in Getaway, and you can relax and play them!

At least the Demo mystery is SOLVED... that is HUGE!

#200 8 years ago

yeah, i was just playing the lx4 with claw: good times. i can't get the ball to go in the second from the right drop though. i forget which one that is. guess i can put a little pad there to help the ball into that chute.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 72.95
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 81.95
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-dm-owner-want-to-go-back-to-factory-roms/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.