20180616_163115 (resized).jpg
20180616_165332 (resized).jpg
20180710_214214 (resized).jpg
20180710_214210 (resized).jpg
20180710_214200 (resized).jpg
20180710_214106 (resized).jpg
photogallery_contest.jpg
491FB101-CF22-4D80-A258-732CF562CD74 (resized).jpeg
There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Instructions have been updated for the locking tab orientation. That actually solves the problem with the capacitor leg clearances on the UNO board.

You should cut out Step #14 of the new UNO doc too. Glad I checked back before finishing up my boards (got busy at work).

I'm hoping to get mine done and installed in Meteor this weekend. Then I'll work on getting the seven digit mod working.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

You should cut out Step #14 of the new UNO doc too. Glad I checked back before finishing up my boards (got busy at work).
I'm hoping to get mine done and installed in Meteor this weekend. Then I'll work on getting the seven digit mod working.

Updated! Thanks for the heads up! Missed removing that extra step.

#53 6 years ago

How's everyone making out with the kits?

Thanks to those that gave feedback so far, including pointing out some small issues in the instructions!

I have a small batch of revised boards for the UNO & TRADITIONAL displays coming in next weeks so should have an additional 6-8x sets per model available again if they check out. I actually had to reroute traces quite a bit on all the boards with the resistor through-hole spacing changing, so wanted to just do another smaller batch of boards before placing a larger order. The only difference is a physical jumper for the dot/comma added along with the smd solder blob pads. Functionally the same as REV1 boards, but with changes made that were noted earlier in this thread. If things check out I'll immediately be placing a larger order of boards so I can finally get them available on the shopping cart for easier ordering.

Still have a few remaining sets of REV1 boards available at a 5% discount as DIY Kits or Fully Assembled. I'll start assembling remaining REV1 sets and offering them on eBay if they're still here when the larger order of revised boards come in.

#54 6 years ago

Display Tester! I mentioned this in the RETROFIT thread, but in case anyone interested in these new kits missed it -- these are boards you can plug in to make initial testing of the display kits much easier. Great for anyone planning to build out more than one or two display kits. These should be available sometime in the next 1-2 months via the website.

display_tester (resized).jpgdisplay_tester (resized).jpg

This is just a prototype -- I've sent a few of them out already. Plugs into the display's 0.156 header. Connect +5v and GND & you're in-business. I've been using it in-house and it's certainly made testing a lot easier. I set the digit to light up (ie. "8") on one 4-bit DIP switch bank, then just lightly push each of the switches on the 8-bit bank to light each digit up quickly (instead of flipping them fully).

I'll probably add the option of an on-board fuse in the next revision. Right now I recommend using a 1/8 amp fuse in-line with the +5v. I still have a handful of prototype boards left, so PM if you're interested.

#55 6 years ago

I finally found time to build the rest of the kits for Meteor. It takes me about an hour for each one taking my time to get them right. Now I just need to do the wiring mods and burn some ROMs to adapt the 7 digit displays into the 6 digit game! Hopefully I will be done in a few more days.

Notes:
1) Yes, the connectors need to be installed so the locking feature is on the bottom instead of on the top. This fixes the cap clearance, but more importantly the connector in the machine will not even connect to the machine with it facing up.
2) I had a little trouble on the first one getting the displays to all sit flush while soldering. To fix this I cut the protective tape flush to the sides before inserting the displays to help them fit together better. Also, the big can capacitor is a little taller than the displays so I left it off the board until after installing the displays. This let me tape the whole board down flat to the bench while soldering the displays. This holds them snug and flush to the board while soldering.
3) The instructions listed C1 twice. C1 is obviously the can and C4 is the little one by VR1
4) I use masking tape to hold the components in while soldering so they stay in place. This is important on the long connector to help the two connectors line up to easily connect to the machine.

20170812_111938 (resized).jpg20170812_111938 (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I finally found time to build the rest of the kits for Meteor. It takes me about an hour for each one taking my time to get them right. Now I just need to do the wiring mods and burn some ROMs to adapt the 7 digit displays into the 6 digit game! Hopefully I will be done in a few more days.

Cool! They look great! Thanks for the notes John!

I think I cleared up the C1/C4 reference in the updated document, you may have an earlier version. I just searched the latest document and am only finding one reference to each of those.

You're right it may be best to install the electrolytic cap after the led digits. I was trying to do the ground-up approach but didn't want the led digits to be in the way of soldering the J1 pads on the front of the board. Probably better for the order of the last few components to be J1 headers, then LED digits, then electrolytic cap.

I just assembled a few sets of the TRADITIONAL style displays this past week. Averaged about 30min per display moving quick as I could efficiently, which was about as expected.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Cool! Thanks for the notes John!

I will hold off until it is all working for my final review, but thus far I am loving this product and it is a great value. The board is very nice and the solder flows like magic when you get into a rhythm. I have a Paragon project out in the garage that is about to get put together. I will probably update it also although I will most likely stick to the 6 digits on that one. Paragon is not so easily rolled!

#58 6 years ago

Just wanted to say I bought a set of Wayne's UNO 6-digit LED displays in DIY kit form and I think this is an excellent product. The instructions are detailed and easy to follow. Anyone that has even basic soldering skills should be able to build these displays with no problem. I really like the ability to adjust the alignment of the UNO displays to fit the openings in the backglass. I purchased the amber LED digits and they look very close in color to OEM displays. The adjustment pot on the displays allow you to change the brightness based on your preference.

Great product!

#59 6 years ago

I banged out an entire 7-digit UNO display kit in about an hour-and-a-half today...you can really get motoring once you get the hang of the layout. Great design. I should have a review of the UNO and TRADITIONAL sets in the coming days, on the heels of my Pinitech Retrofit Kit review that came out last week. Great value product, buy with confidence.

#60 6 years ago

Good News! New boards arrived today. I only had a chance to assemble one 6-digit and one 7-digit UNO design, but the new resistor hole spacing is much better! Should make assembly a lot easier.

There's a footprint for 2.54mm jumper for the dot/comma on both designs, along with the solder pad jumpers. I haven't decided yet if I'll be including parts for the 2.54mm jumper in the DIY kits. I'd think half the people or more would probably just use the solder pad method.. but I could be wrong. Mainly I wanted it there when selling fully assembled sets so the dot/comma could be enabled without someone needing soldering tools.

Haven't had a chance to assemble one of the TRADITIONAL displays yet. Lots more tweaks were done to that design, so here's hoping

#61 6 years ago

Assembled a TRADITIONAL display & all the changes in the newest board revision look great!

Both displays can now be ordered via shopping cart as DIY Kits. Latest version boards are shipping.

Pinitech UNO LED Displays
http://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_uno.php

PINITECH TRADITIONAL LED Displays
http://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_traditional.php

For Fully Assembled versions you'll have to contact me via PM or email for right now.

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
NVRAM, kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#62 6 years ago

Ok finally got it all done. The boards went together fairly easy. Modifying Meteor was not super easy. Had to run the extra wires to handle the 7th digit. Fortunately this didn't require the little board that some games need to go to 7 digits. All I had to do was wire a single wire from CPU board to each of the player displays. Then the software has to be replaced with special 7 digit software and the MPU solder jumpers had to be modified to take 2732 EPROMs instead of the factory ROMs.

The other thing that I have to note is that for some reason the displays were a little low in the Meteor. I drilled new screw holes slightly higher than the original holes in the back panel to raise the displays a little less than 1/8 inch. With a little side to side adjustment, they now sit just right in the backglass windows.

Basically everything needed for the game mods is here:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

20170816_232945 (resized).jpg20170816_232945 (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The other thing that I have to note is that for some reason the displays were a little low in the Meteor. I drilled new screw holes slightly higher than the original holes in the back panel to raise the displays a little less than 1/8 inch.

John, was that after loosening the screws and pushing the UNO board up slightly? The slots in the UNO design should allow some movement upward.. maybe 1/8 inch. But you'd have to push the display up as you tighten one screw on each side. You may have done that and still found they needed to be raised a bit higher, but just wanted to point that out.

I tried having it so the displays could sit on the screw & be about where they needed to be for most games. A little low is better than too high since the slots are a bit larger than the screws so the display can be adjusted upward slightly.

METEOR looks great by the way! Thanks for the info on the 7-digit mod & the pictures!

#64 6 years ago

I moved it as far as it could go. I didn't take note of the old displays when I removed them so not sure they weren't low too. Plus I think they are a little smaller to begin with and I am not so sure my swing out isn't riding a little low too. It scrapes bottom pretty hard when I open it up.

Anyway it does look great and the displays are awesome!

One more note for anyone working on a game with the NVRAM. When I reconfigured the MPU board and put in the new EPROMs it must have reset the NVRAM and scrambled it. The game was acting REALLY strange until I remembered to go through and clear all of the audits in the menu. That made things work better! Never again will I forget that!

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

One more note for anyone working on a game with the NVRAM. When I reconfigured the MPU board and put in the new EPROMs it must have reset the NVRAM and scrambled it. The game was acting REALLY strange until I remembered to go through and clear all of the audits in the menu. That made things work better! Never again will I forget that!

The funny thing about learning "the hard way" is once you learn something that way you NEVER will forget. I can't begin to tell you how many times someone has told me about something and it just goes right over my head. Yet waste an hour figuring something out and you always seem to remember that forever!

#66 6 years ago

It's no secret I'm a supporter of acebathound and his work with the classic Bally/Stern displays. I got a chance to review the Traditional and UNO kits here. The article looks at the difference between the Traditional, UNO and Retrofit systems, and the benefits/drawbacks of each. As with my Retrofit review I released a couple of weeks back, I again performed a brief interview with acebathound about the Traditional/UNO display project. Hopefully, if anyone is on the fence about picking up a set of these displays, this will be of some help.

REVIEW: Pinitech’s UNO and TRADITIONAL LED Display Kits
http://creditdotpinball.com/2017/08/21/review-pinitechs-uno-and-traditional-led-display-kits/

00-UTRAD07xx (resized).jpg00-UTRAD07xx (resized).jpg

1 week later
#67 6 years ago

Assembled options for these displays have been added to the website shopping cart. At this time, expect an additional delay of 1-2 business days for any assembled sets. These take several hours to build out and I'll be building them on-demand as orders come in for right now. DIY Kits should ship same-day or next-day in most cases.

TRADITIONAL
http://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_traditional.php

UNO
http://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_uno.php

1 week later
#68 6 years ago

Last day for a chance to win a free set of these displays in PINITECH's Labor Day Giveaway!
No purchase necessary to enter.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinitech-labor-day-sale-pimp-your-bally-led-display-giveaway

---

#69 6 years ago

Is there interest in having a single display kit option available via the shopping cart on the website?

Just wanted to get some feedback here. I'm thinking it'll be something to try out, since I'm sure some people would like to just replace a single display or want to try these displays out before committing to a full set. Would probably be about $4 more for a single display kit when compared to it being part of a set (ie. a 6-digit UNO in AMBER would be $27.95 + shipping). Shipping would be cheaper since a single display can go First Class Mail within the US.

#70 6 years ago

Are you going to be at the White Rose Gameroom show in York this year,

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Is there interest in having a single display kit option available via the shopping cart on the website?
Just wanted to get some feedback here. I'm thinking it'll be something to try out, since I'm sure some people would like to just replace a single display or want to try these displays out before committing to a full set. Would probably be about $4 more for a single display kit when compared to it being part of a set (ie. a 6-digit UNO in AMBER would be $27.95 + shipping). Shipping would be cheaper since a single display can go First Class Mail within the US.

I think this is a good idea in general. Doesn't hurt and some people may want to mix and match colors for specific games. I know if I ever finish my Future Spa, i have three different colors of displays for it.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Ashwood486:

Are you going to be at the White Rose Gameroom show in York this year,

Unfortunately have other commitments that weekend. There was a chance I'd be going Friday but at this point it's looking less likely. I'll update if that changes.

Quoted from SilverballNut:

I think this is a good idea in general. Doesn't hurt and some people may want to mix and match colors for specific games. I know if I ever finish my Future Spa, i have three different colors of displays for it.

Thanks for the feedback!

#73 6 years ago

I've added single display options for DIY Kits and Assembled displays to the PINITECH Pinside Shop @ https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1030-pinitech

I'll try to get those options added to the website shopping cart soon as well.

#74 6 years ago

gallerygiveaway.pnggallerygiveaway.png

I'm going to do what I did with the RETROFIT displays and offer a giveaway for anyone that posts a photo of a full set of either the Pinitech UNO or Pinitech Traditional displays installed in their machine.

Buy a set as a DIY Kit or Fully Assembled displays, take a clear picture of the complete set in the machine with the lights dimmed/off & post it to this thread. That's it, you're entered to win!

Better yet? I'll be doing 3x separate drawings between now and the end of 2017! All with the same prizes being offered. So if you purchase a single set in September & then post a picture on this thread of the completed displays -- you'll be entered into all 3x drawings.

Photos Used For Gallery
Photos will be used for the photo gallery I'll be creating for these displays. I'd really like to build a large gallery of machines with these displays installed showing all the different color options and how different games look. Your photo(s) posted to this thread will be used in the gallery unless you indicate you would not like them used.

Prizes
Prizes are going to be amped up this time around to make it really worthwhile. As mentioned, I have some REV1 sets left over and I'm going to use these as the prizes for this contest. I'll be fully assembling these boards. The only catch is if you want the dot/decimal enabled you'll need to tell me before I send the displays out or enable it yourself via smd jumper pads.

• MAIN PRIZE - Fully Assembled UNO or Traditional Display Set.
    Your choice of 6-digit or 7-digit on the Traditional sets. UNO displays will be 6-digit variety.
  • SECONDARY PRIZES (2 per drawing) - Your choice of a single 6-digit display or 2x NVRAM Modules

Eligibility
Anyone that purchases a full display set can be entered into the drawing by posting a picture of a complete set of these displays in their machine. Please try to post as clear of a picture (or pictures) as possible with lights dimmed or off, that shows the backglass & displays installed.. and also indicate the type of display (Traditional/UNO) and color of digits / filters being used.

• For the main prize, entries will be once-per-individual and your entry will roll over into the next drawing. Purchase a single display set in September you'll have 3x chances to win a main prize (fully assembled display set). Only one entry per individual regardless of number of display sets purchased.
  • Secondary Prizes will be based on a separate set of entries. For these prizes, you'll gain an entry for every photo variation you post. So buy a set of displays, take a picture of them in multiple games -- or take pictures with different filters installed on a white digit set, and you'll gain multiple entries. No limit on number of entries.

Once someone wins a main prize, they'll be excluded from future drawings for the main prize (but still eligible to win a secondary prize). Once someone wins a secondary prize, they'll be excluded from future drawings for the secondary prize (but still eligible to win the main prize). Again, entries will roll-over into the next drawing so if you don't win the first drawing you'll still have a chance in 2x more drawings between now and the end of 2017 without doing anything else.

Drawing Frequency
I was going to do drawings at the end of the month, but since September and October will be partial months for me, I'm just going to space these evenly through the year & base it on "entries received".

Rough estimates of when the drawings should take place:
-1st drawing mid-to-late October
-2nd drawing late-November
-3rd drawing end of December.

Already Purchased A Set? Or Posted Pictures
If you already purchased a display set, but have not posted pictures on this thread yet -- all you need to do is a post a photo to get entered. If you've already posted a photo, you're already on the list for the 1st drawing.

Good luck to all & thank you for your patronage!!

---

#75 6 years ago

Sounds like Wayne is in the mood to give more stuff away! As always great to see a seller giving something back to their customers.

I am a proud father of two great kids and Wayne happens to be one of them. Keep up the great work but one of these day please give me at least one working game to play in the gameroom. 25+ machines in the basement and not one fully working has to be some kind of a record for the pinball community and not in a good way. Just kidding - but it would be nice to have a couple working machines before Winter.

#76 6 years ago

Youtube videos of a display set in-action can also count as giveaway entries Just figured I'd put that out there.

Sometime I'll get a GoPro clone and try to learn how to do a snazzy video with techno music in the background, since that seems to be what the young kids are all doing.

#77 6 years ago

There's often a plasma versus LED kind of debate going on when talking about new displays -- along with the thought of "why upgrade plasma displays until they go bad?" I thought I'd throw my opinion out there, being objective as possible.

I feel the displays are one of the major focal points in a game, as much as the playfield or backglass. I find non-matching displays to be very distracting. Your brain thinks all the displays are the same -- and should look the same, but they don't because used plasma displays have all aged differently even if they're original to the machine (which isn't likely). People nit-pick LEDs not matching plasma exactly -- and I get it, I was there too. But think about it -- plasma glass doesn't even match other plasma glass! The only time that happened was when it was new from the factory -- everything looked crisp and the glass from the same manufacturer was used. But odds are your machine(s) have different glass in them now, different fonts, different comma styles.. or the displays are looking different because they've aged differently depending on what was lit up on the segments in attract-mode.

It dawned on me that what really looks nice is matching set of displays, that eliminate this visual distraction of displays looking differently. That's a huge reason to upgrade I think. Then there's the other advantages -- LEDs look more vivid, they modernize these classic games. There should be little doubt a Classic Bally or Stern game with more colorful LED bulbs in the playfield, tastefully done to highlight things better.. will get more attention and plays at a pinball show or in an arcade than a machine with incandescent bulbs. That's the same effect the LED displays have on these games. It adds a lot to the visual appeal and "newness" of the game. Plus, you have the ability to control brightness based on the ambient lighting conditions, which was never something you could do with plasma displays. I only see upsides in upgrading... except that after you upgrade one game, you'll probably want to upgrade more

#78 6 years ago

Just finished making my set and installed them in my Trident. I had a lot of fun building them! I was really nervous about the surface mount chip but it ended up being really easy to do! I love the set of UNO's!

IMG_2664 (resized).JPGIMG_2664 (resized).JPG

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from GulDukat:

Just finished making my set and installed them in my Trident. I had a lot of fun building them! I was really nervous about the surface mount chip but it ended up being really easy to do! I love the set of UNO's!

Great to hear everything went well! I didn't feel the surface mount part would be any issue for people with even basic soldering tools and skills, but definitely nice to have confirmation from someone that was initially nervous

Looks great, nice job! First time I've seen a Trident with LED displays I've sold in it. Cool!

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from GulDukat:

Looks great! Bathe in that sense of self-satisfaction knowing you built an entire set of displays from a box of parts.

1 week later
#81 6 years ago

Just got done installing my new Led set - Freakin' Awesome!!!

I remember the first set of these I saw in someone else's Xenon- I was hooked and HAD to have them for myself! What's next? Red for Galaxy? White for Silverball Mania? Maybe RED for Mata Hari! or Yellow for Lost World??

When I first started the assembly, I was reminded of the "Spock's Brain" episode of StarTrek where Bones forgets how to put Spock's Brain back together half way through the procedure, but, I followed the directions for the first one, and the second- By the time I got to the last three I set them up as an assembly line! I think had about 6 hours into the whole thing. I'm not sure if I'd pay to have them put together, or I need the personal satisfaction of doing it myself. I did have a small glitch on one of the displays, it had an extra zero lit when it would display the 00. Upon further examination I discovered a Itty-Bitty piece of solder between two of the legs of U1 I think it was.

All in all it was definitely worth it. If you can put together one of those Velleman projects, you can put together one of these things.

Good luck with your LED installation!!

-BDPinball

Xenon Blue (resized).jpgXenon Blue (resized).jpg

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

I remember the first set of these I saw in someone else's Xenon- I was hooked and HAD to have them for myself! What's next? Red for Galaxy? White for Silverball Mania? Maybe RED for Mata Hari! or Yellow for Lost World??
When I first started the assembly, I was reminded of the "Spock's Brain" episode of StarTrek where Bones forgets how to put Spock's Brain back together half way through the procedure, but, I followed the directions for the first one, and the second- By the time I got to the last three I set them up as an assembly line! I think had about 6 hours into the whole thing. I'm not sure if I'd pay to have them put together, or I need the personal satisfaction of doing it myself. I did have a small glitch on one of the displays, it had an extra zero lit when it would display the 00. Upon further examination I discovered a Itty-Bitty piece of solder between two of the legs of U1 I think it was.
All in all it was definitely worth it. If you can put together one of those Velleman projects, you can put together one of these things.
Good luck with your LED installation!!
-BDPinball

Looks just like our Xenon in the basement - I love Wayne's LED's in those classic Bally & Stern machines. Somehow they just POP with LED displays in them.

As far as assembly time once you do a set or two they start going together fairly quickly. But regardless how long it takes someone to assemble a set once you get them into your machine you realize it was time well spent!

1 week later
#83 6 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

I remember the first set of these I saw in someone else's Xenon- I was hooked and HAD to have them for myself!

Great to hear it! BLUE displays always looks fantastic in XENON!

#84 6 years ago

I'm back after several weeks away, so have these DIY Kits available to ship again.

CONTEST UPDATE
I'm counting about 4x entries in this thread so far for the PHOTO GALLERY CONTEST. Was hoping to see some more entries flowing in, but as mentioned in the contest announcement the drawing dates will also depend on total entries. So what I'm going to do here is wait until at least 10x total new entries are received for each drawing. The drawings will then occur the 1st week of the following month that 10x entries are received.

So for the first drawing, if 10x entries are received by end of October, I'll draw a winner 1st week in November. Anyone that doesn't win will be entered again into the next contest.. three contests total at the moment, so three chances to win with a single entry if you get entered into the 1st drawing.

---

2 weeks later
#85 6 years ago

Quick note on a small change to the TRADITIONAL (2-board) style display that will soon start affecting display sets sent out. PIN #1 solder pad is fully removed on "REV B" boards at the J1 header on the displays (as shown below). That's really the only change, but it deserved a "REV B" marking.

PIN #1 is the where the high voltage dead-ends. Most aftermarket displays have kept the full 20-pin header on the display boards, so there's still some high voltage showing up at the board (at the solder pad on PIN #1) if the high voltage fuse is not pulled. The UNO design already had this change and has always been a 19-pin header - -that's because the high voltage point would have otherwise been accessible from the front of the machine. I kept with convention on the TRADITIONAL design, but have ultimately decided it makes no sense there either. Especially after a few "reminders" while hot-swapping LED displays for testing without the high voltage fuse removed.

display_revb (resized).jpgdisplay_revb (resized).jpg

Have a few more REV A sets to get through before these start shipping, but wanted to give a heads up.

---

#86 6 years ago

Had someone request a multi-color display for the pac maze display in Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man (blue, yellow magenta colors since the cabinet art has those colors). This is for "Time To Beat", "Mazes Complete" and "Pac-man Moves" readout. I really liked the idea, I'll probably do this to mine, whenever it gets dug out from storage. This is a white display with filters over two digits at a time.

pacmaze.jpgpacmaze.jpg

#87 6 years ago

That's awesome! I'd like to do that to mine when I dig it out of storage as well.

#88 6 years ago

I'll see if my wife can take some glamour shots of the displays in my Stern games, but in the meantime, here's another one for the photo gallery...Pinitech Uno: Catacomb in green.

20171106_133601 (resized).jpg20171106_133601 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#89 6 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I'll see if my wife can take some glamour shots of the displays in my Stern games, but in the meantime, here's another one for the photo gallery...Pinitech Uno: Catacomb in green.

Nice color choice with the green on the playfield and using green for flipper rubbers and displays! I like finding colors on the playfield that aren't really present in the backglass.. kind of balances things out, yet contrasts with the backglass too.

I'm going to take some better shots of a single white display with each of the color filters I'm offering and post some recommended DSLR settings to get decent pictures. If I can figure out some way to get better color representation with phone cameras too I'll post some recommendations. My phone is a piece of junk though so the answer might be not to use a piece of junk phone

#90 6 years ago

Multi-color display (white digit with blue/yellow/magenta filters) installed in customer's machine. Livens it up a bit down there! Definitely going to have to do that on mine when I get it setup again. Will probably go for blue displays in the player positions -- though red might look cool too.

pacmaze.jpgpacmaze.jpg

pacmaze2.jpgpacmaze2.jpg

#91 6 years ago

I love that. What a great idea!

#92 6 years ago

Gonna try something fun here..

The first 3x people that post a decent quality video showing a set of these full display kits (UNO or TRADITIONAL) in-action in their machine get a FREE NVRAM (any style). If you can get it done before Sunday afternoon, I'll make sure the nvram goes out in Monday's mail. Otherwise it'll ship after 11/27. If you're within the United States I'll send it out for free. Otherwise will split shipping 50/50 with Canada/Australia folks.

Quick video of the displays in attract mode is fine (dim lighting, fairly accurate color representation, non-shaky video is preferred). Bonus points if you can show the brightness control in-action on a single display (from unlit slowly adjusted to full brightness). If you want to go further and play a game, show the display test, or narrate anything.. that's cool too.

If no takers, I'll try and get a video posted myself sometime in December. Been meaning to, but my equipment isn't that great and I've only got Xenon and a shuffle alley to show the displays in at the moment. Figure some customers probably have a better phone camera or decent video equipment and this would be an easy way to score a free nvram

Many thanks to everyone that's posted comments/testimonials and photos so far! Keep 'em coming & don't forget to enter the BIG GIVEAWAY if you haven't already!

#93 6 years ago

Ask and he shall receive. Stern Catacomb with UNO Seven-digit displays using Medium Green filters.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Ask and he shall receive. Stern Catacomb with UNO Seven-digit displays using Medium Green filters.

Cool! PM me with your nvram choice & address to send to! Will get that right out for you =]

2x nvram modules still up for grabs!

#95 6 years ago

Ugh, I still haven't assembled mine yet! I wonder if I could do it before two other folks respond!

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Ugh, I still haven't assembled mine yet! I wonder if I could do it before two other folks respond!

Let me be your motivation to get them soldered up! Judging by the lack of response here on the 3x drawings I'm doing to give away $250 in prizes per contest, you might have a bit of time lol.

Forgetting.. did you buy an AMBER set? I'd like to get a video demo of a couple AMBER displays mixed with the plasma displays. Then a video of a full AMBER set installed in a game. I may have some more specific requests that would be nice to show on different game titles, so there could be a few more nvrams given away for assistance in getting video of something =]

#97 6 years ago

I had a local repair tech here buy a set of AMBER UNO displays.. he also requested a "smoke colored" filter. The neutral filter I have fits the bill there. Reminded me that some people don't like the look of the white segments on the digits when the machine is off.

Here's a picture with the first player display replaced with an UNO display with neutral filter. He said it looked very close to stock plasma displays.

amber (resized).jpgamber (resized).jpg

If enough people want to see a smoke grey / neutral filter included with all the sets, I can make that an option. On WHITE sets you'd have to double up on the filters (ie. use a red filter with a grey filter over top of it). I'd imagine on darker colors for WHITE sets you'd probably just want to forgo putting a grey filter on top as it'll probably already be dark enough to hide the segments and likely reduce brightness too much with light passing through two darker filters.

#98 6 years ago

I went with medium green for my Quicksilver. Today is going to be warmer (-1 C) so it's a good day to open the garage door and do some soldering!
EDIT: I can do this!

#99 6 years ago

Ugh. I'm really out of touch with video equipment or editing. Something else to learn.

Anyway here's a demo of brightness control... unlit to full brightness =] Pretty smooth I think. Displays are current-limited to being efficient even at full brightness. This is not something I've really seen other displays with brightness control doing. My thoughts are, if you allow the user to pump the brightness up to full.. keep it efficient (in terms of lower current usage), even at full brightness.

Display Test running on Xenon..

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I had a local repair tech here buy a set of AMBER UNO displays.. he also requested a "smoke colored" filter. The neutral filter I have fits the bill there. Reminded me that some people don't like the look of the white segments on the digits when the machine is off.
Here's a picture with the first player display replaced with an UNO display with neutral filter. He said it looked very close to stock plasma displays.

This isn't the first time that I've heard collectors taking issue with seeing the digit segments visible when the machine is turned off. Upon selling my restored Stars to @drano, which had the blue Retrofit kit installed, he went ahead and added some 3M tint film over the digits, which made them look a little more original and masked the white segments when unlit. He'd have to chime in on the actual 3M product, but it looked just fine. I'm assuming a colour filter over a masking/tinting filter would work too?

There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-diy-led-display-kits-for-classic-ballystern-budget-friendly/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.