Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Randy_G
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed (resized).jpg
    IMG_9906 (resized).JPG
    1803 with foam (resized).jpg
    1802 with foam (resized).jpg
    9DF8F039-299D-4CFA-B0AE-1BD670DBAE06 (resized).jpeg
    5DB95F06-35C5-4C95-A279-89B0F7327E9C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2697 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2534 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2223 (resized).JPG
    PolarizedRD-2 (resized).JPG
    PolarizedRD-1 (resized).JPG
    m (resized).JPG
    l (resized).JPG
    k (resized).JPG
    j (resized).JPG
    i (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

A while back I was working on a Williams Flash game. I had everything working except two displays. I decided to replace all the displays with new LEDs. I was searching for the best price when I remembered Wolffpac Tech. He makes Bally / Stern display kits. I made several of those kits. They’re nice displays, easy to assemble, and work very well. I contacted Dave at Wolffpac and asked why he doesn’t have Williams display kits. He said he considered them but doesn’t have a Williams game to test them. I offered to test them in my game and sent him my old displays. A couple of months later I received back a full set of prototype displays to test.

a (resized).JPGa (resized).JPG

They worked great but needed a few adjustments. I advised him of my findings, he made some changes and he now has kits for sale. You can get them in red, orange, or blue. They are available on his website (https://www.wolffpactech.com/) and on EBay.
    I got one of the first sets of display kits for my Flash game. Good old USPS did a number on the box but the contents were well packed and no damage was done.

b (resized).jpgb (resized).jpg

It only has a few components and was super simple to assemble. The instructions were complete and easy to follow.

c (resized).JPGc (resized).JPG

Just like the original, the main display has all the electronics – 14 resistors, 7 capacitors, and 9 IC’s. And of course 4 LEDs. The only difficult part (for me) was getting those IC legs inserted into the holes.

d (resized).JPGd (resized).JPG

Lately I been using Blue-Tack. It’s like silly-putty. It holds the components in place while I solder them. Works really good.

e (resized).JPGe (resized).JPG

f (resized).JPGf (resized).JPG

After a short time I had the main display completed.

g (resized).JPGg (resized).JPG

Then I moved to the slave displays. The LEDs pretty much dropped in. But a word of caution here – the LEDs can be installed upside down.

h (resized).JPGh (resized).JPG

Always check your work before soldering. Fortunately I caught this in time.

i (resized).JPGi (resized).JPG

After I completed the displays it was time to install them. One thing we learned from the prototype was the LED’s are thicker than the glass. This moves them too close to the glass. To remedy this Dave provides shorter spacers behind the display board.

j (resized).JPGj (resized).JPG

I replaced the original spacers and installed the new displays. They fit just like the old glass displays and worked first time.

k (resized).JPGk (resized).JPG

l (resized).JPGl (resized).JPG

I’m not a pinball professional and don’t have a lot of experience with electronics but I found these displays very easy to build. And the feeling of accomplishment when complete is great. If you have a soldering iron you can build these. Plus this would be a good way to learn. Just keep checking your work. I use an 8X photo loupe because my old eyes aren’t as good as they once were.

m (resized).JPGm (resized).JPG

This has been a fun and rewarding job. Give it a try.

Bob

#2 5 years ago

Cool, I could have used this a couple months back, but already bought a Rottendog.

The one thing that I didn't like about the LED displays is the off segments are way too visible, but with some polarized panels I was able to minimize that. It softens the brightness a bit, but a good trade off.

The third picture shows a stack of something that looks like that might be panels? Does this come with something to accomplish the same? If not, I can make a marketplace ad for some, or contact me if you need any. Here's a couple pics demonstrating one display without filter and one with.

PolarizedRD-1 (resized).JPGPolarizedRD-1 (resized).JPG
    PolarizedRD-2 (resized).JPGPolarizedRD-2 (resized).JPG

#3 5 years ago

Great info. Bookmarked for a future purchase. Only thing it’s too bad they don’t have a way of adjusting brightness like some others do.

#4 5 years ago

I wish System 7 kits were available.

#5 5 years ago

I have rottendogs in several machines but think the reds might look better in Gorgar. Saved.

#6 5 years ago

very cool. my wms games have been tearing through 6 digit plasma displays the last few years.

#8 5 years ago

Awesome! I've been needing to replace them on my Flash and I don't mind a bunch of soldering to save a few bucks. I've never been crazy about how the LEDs look compared to the original, but I'd rather get all my displays working right in general. I liked the Bally kits. I wish I could just plug in the displays I need, but I'm sure it all has to be replaced.

#9 5 years ago

HighVoltage,
    I didn't think the off displays were that much more visible than the original displays.

IMG_2223 (resized).JPGIMG_2223 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2534 (resized).JPGIMG_2534 (resized).JPG

Those are not filters in the third picture - they're foam bezels that cover the LED's. Keeps them from touching the backglass. The center areas have to be pealed off where to numbers are.

IMG_2697 (resized).JPGIMG_2697 (resized).JPG

Wolffcub,
    I didn't miss having non-adjustable brightness in this case because I replaced all the displays. Adjustable LEDs might be necessary if you were trying to match old displays with new displays.

Trey,
    I talked with Wolffpac about making displays that could replace just the slave displays and still work with the original master display but the cost would be much higher because of the additional electronics. For the cost of these kits I'd rather replace the whole bunch and be done with it.

Bob

#10 5 years ago

Was told you can’t run some led and some stock non led units together so does the reason for adjustment hold true ? Turning them low makes them look older and old and that’s kinda cool. I installed window tint to the back of my glass and had to turm them up a bit but it made them look awesome. They don’t look like leds anymore and appear to have softer edges. I mostly like it because you can’t see the unlit areas now

5DB95F06-35C5-4C95-A279-89B0F7327E9C (resized).jpeg5DB95F06-35C5-4C95-A279-89B0F7327E9C (resized).jpeg9DF8F039-299D-4CFA-B0AE-1BD670DBAE06 (resized).jpeg9DF8F039-299D-4CFA-B0AE-1BD670DBAE06 (resized).jpeg
    #11 5 years ago

You can mix LEDs and plasma displays on Bally / Stern games. The electronics are on the individual displays. The Williams has all the electronics on the master display - can't mix them.

The window tinting looks great. What tinting shade did you use?

Thanks

Bob

#12 5 years ago

Bob,
    Thanks for the kind words and helping me get these out the door. I couldn't have done it without you!
    Just wanted to point out to everyone else that they come with foam bezels that go on the displays that makes them look even better (IMHO).

1802 with foam (resized).jpg1802 with foam (resized).jpg1803 with foam (resized).jpg1803 with foam (resized).jpg
    #13 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

You can mix LEDs and plasma displays on Bally / Stern games. The electronics are on the individual displays. The Williams has all the electronics on the master display - can't mix them.
    The window tinting looks great. What tinting shade did you use?
    Thanks
    Bob

5% limo tint is what I used.

#14 5 years ago

Would love to help if you would consider making these for the system 6 and system 7, 7 digit games.

2 months later
    #15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolffdp:

Bob,
    Thanks for the kind words and helping me get these out the door. I couldn't have done it without you!
    Just wanted to point out to everyone else that they come with foam bezels that go on the displays that makes them look even better (IMHO).[quoted image][quoted image]

@wolffdp any chance you will be making these for Williams System 7 games such as Black Knight?

3 months later
    #16 4 years ago

Wolffdp any chance you will be making these for Williams System 7 games such as Black Knight?

#17 4 years ago

We will have the following kits at Pinfest

We will have Williams System 7 - 7 digit at the show. Presently we only have orange.

Note: presently these will not work on machines that have more than 5 displays.

All kits are being offered at Pinfest discount pricing.

In addition we will have:
    Bally/Stern 6-digit in orange,red,white, green, blue

Bally/Stern 7-Digit in orange, red, white, blue

Williams System 3-6 in red, blue, orange

Coming Soon ( but not in time for show )
    Williams System 11
    Williams System 118/D-21610
    Bally 6803

If you have other suggestions for future kits let us know.

1 week later
    #18 4 years ago

Forgot to come back to post that I bought the System 4-6 kit for my Flash and the displays look great. The foam bezels make it look super clean. Highly recommend the kit to anyone who needs to replace the displays and doesn't mind an afternoon of soldering.

IMG_9906 (resized).JPGIMG_9906 (resized).JPG
    #19 4 years ago

The blue displays look great on the Flash. Nice job.

2 weeks later
    #20 4 years ago

I just installed the SYS 7 kit from Wolffdp and they look great! The only minor issue I have with mine is that there are a couple of displays that aren't centered with the display windows in the backglass as the holes in the boards can only be adjusted so far. I've moved the backglass all the way to the left, and the leftmost digits on a couple displays barely clear the window. On the plus side, I rarely light up the that (millions) digit

Also, I'll need to find some type of tinting or filter to put over the displays as they are noticeable when the game is off, again just minor things.

All-in-all, they look fantastic and am super happy that there is an aftermarket option to replace the old displays. Hopefully in the next revision, some more adjustability of the boards can be built in. Orange was the only color available, but that's what I was looking for anyways and they look like stock when on.

1 month later
    #21 4 years ago

Its a shame they don't ship to Canada.

#22 4 years ago

But thru ebay you do! so problem solved. kit ordered!

3 months later
    #23 4 years ago

Is there a way to get your system 11 kit on eBay ?

#24 4 years ago

Best to contact Dave directly at https://www.wolffpactech.com/

Bob

#25 4 years ago

He got a hold of me and its all sorted out now.

1 week later
    #26 4 years ago

I just built up a set for the Sys 3 and couldn't be more pleased. Easy build and great, quick service regarding a question.

I can't believe I fooled around trying to fix the stupid gas displays as long as I did. The displays themselves were fine, but the reliability and cost of the chips was aggravating. Between possible counterfeit chips, cost of shipping parts, plus just the fact of having 200V supplies...clearly a no brainer replacing with Wolffpac's kit.

Would buy again in a heartbeat.

7 months later
    #27 3 years ago

I also choose Blue for a flash pinball...a great look!

Wolffpac is a great vendor...free USA shipping low price and easy to build...highly recommended

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-display-kits-for-williams-games-review?hl=canadianpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.