Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Slingshot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi guys - Kerry wanted me to let you about the new phone scoop protector for Dialed In. Fits in-hole and does a great job of protecting the sides that get hit really hard during play. About a 10 minute install. Ships next week.

$20 - https://mantispinball.com/product-category/dialed-in/

#2 6 years ago

Looking to get a dialed in soon. This will follow!

6 months later
#3 5 years ago

How is this protector working for those that bought one and installed?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

How is this protector working for those that bought one and installed?

I have one and like it. There’s no damage around the hole and the ball rolls in easily.

#5 5 years ago

Do they also make a SIM card hole protector?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from attack7777:

Do they also make a SIM card hole protector?

They do not. I wish they did.

5 months later
#7 5 years ago

If someone knows where install instructions are, please hook me up.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from ssdobbins:

If someone knows where install instructions are, please hook me up.

It's pretty obvious. 2 screws under the PF.

#9 5 years ago

I didn't think it was obvious and you have to do a fair amount of work to add this protector. I certainly think there should be instructions, even some of the simplest mods I've done have come with instructions, and the mantis protector is fairly involved work. That being said, after you remove nearly everything above and below, it is just 2 screws under the PF.

#10 5 years ago

It's not too bad. If you flip up the playfield you will see the mech for the scoop. IIRC, there are 4 hex screws holding the mech to the PF. Unscrew, move the mech out of the way, install the mantis protector (with said 2 screws) and reinstall the scoop mech. Took me about 20 mins or so. You'll have to push some wiring out of the way,possibly disconnect a harness or two, and you may have to have an extension or a long hex driver, but you shouldn't have to take off anything on the topside.

#11 5 years ago

mrgregb123 Hoping that Mantis can come up with a scoop protector for the SIM card hole too!

#12 5 years ago

I got the scoop unscrewed, but couldn’t move it out of the way with all the wires. It looked to me like I’d have to remove the plastic trough connector as well to get the scoop free and clear. Also I didn’t know if I needed to drill pilot holes for the wood screws.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

mrgregb123 Hoping that Mantis can come up with a scoop protector for the SIM card hole too!

The issue with the SIM card hole is the clear cracking around the right post. A mantis type protector won’t be good for it.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I didn't think it was obvious and you have to do a fair amount of work to add this protector. I certainly think there should be instructions, even some of the simplest mods I've done have come with instructions, and the mantis protector is fairly involved work. That being said, after you remove nearly everything above and below, it is just 2 screws under the PF.

Nearly everything above and below? I removed NOTHING "above". The cliffy for this hole requires posts to be removed above the PF...not the Mantis. From my perspective, the install for the mantis was much easier than the cliffy. Nevertheless, instructions are goodness...I agree there should be instructions.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from ssdobbins:

I got the scoop unscrewed, but couldn’t move it out of the way with all the wires. It looked to me like I’d have to remove the plastic trough connector as well to get the scoop free and clear. Also I didn’t know if I needed to drill pilot holes for the wood screws.

I don't recall having to move the subway. The subway feeds into the scoop. You shouldn't have to drill pilot holes.. Just a bit of pressure on the screw while twisting is enough for the screw to bite into the wood, though it's not a bad idea to drill small dimples. Like I mentioned, you'll have to move some wires out of the way, but you shouldn't have to do much more than that to get the scoop out.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's unlikely. I went back and forth with Kerry on the phone protector and after testing that protector for a few months, I ultimately decided that it isn't a significant upgrade versus the Cliffy that is factory included, and may not sell well. As you know, I'm a big fan of Mantis, heck I'm their webmaster, but I also call a spade a spade. Kerry ended up releasing the protector for the phone anyway because it's actually quite similar to the TAF protector and only required minor modifications. But the SIM protector would be a design that needs to be prototyped and tested much more extensively. I feel the Cliffy's are adequate enough and wouldn't expect Mantis to release a protector for it.

Quoted from ssdobbins:

It IS possible to move the scoop out of the way without taking apart anything else using a combination of wit and ingenuity - loosening the subway makes it a bit easier. I've had to do it 3 times when testing various prototypes. Don't get me wrong, it's a B*TCH to install this thing due to the apparent afterthought by JJP engineering that the scoop would ever need to be removed. I always recommend pilot holes for position accuracy but it's not required. The wood screws dig pretty quickly.

4 months later
#17 4 years ago

i want to see SHOWDOWN... and even if some will say "play better", i still think factory protectors are part of the deal :/ even more when its not more perfectly flat on the PF

respect to cliffy of course, but always had a preference for mantis in scoops (on my TRON, XMEN)

well than, seems we dont have lot of choices here, and may be the better one, as a player point of view, is to remove all 2 (SIM hole + phone hole) and play as it...

did someone can give some feedback with his DI being without protectors ? with numbers of games ?

finally, about (de)installing, suppose its easy as in the SUPERNOVA video :

tanx

#18 4 years ago

and also : did bend (not too much lol) the metal plate over the phone scoop and :

- the ball ejection is way smooth now
- less lot of rejection as it : i didnt say to me son that i've bend the plate : and when he plays DI yesterday he surprisely noticed quite all shots were going/falling n the scoop... than

let's think about the SIM card hole now...

8 months later
#19 4 years ago

Hey. Would some of you guys that have these installed post some pics. I never got mine as flush as I would have liked it. Took it apart today to try to improve but it doesn’t seem to want to sit the way I want it too. Don’t know if mine is bent or that’s just how it’s supposed to sit. Just would like to see some of these installed. Thanks!

8 months later
#20 3 years ago

Any before and after videos; videos of gameplay with the Mantis protector installed? Or pics showing wear, or no wear?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-dialed-in-phone-scoop-protector-from-mantis?hl=sdtminstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.