grep serial (resized).png
underdata (resized).png
correctone (resized).png
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-24 at 16.39.17 (resized).jpeg
lsrta (resized).png
baspath (resized).png
web ui (resized).png
serial-media-ini place (resized).png
There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 5 years ago

This weekend we managed to get the first working demo done for the new creature mod that replaces the holo with a screen under the playfield.

It basically works by combining two of my projects:

1. RasPiSound to get better sound for the creature (also discussed here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi)
2. serial-media-server that plays / shows media controlled by the sound effects being played.

A more detailed description can be found on my blog: https://pinball-mods.de/2018/10/21/new-cftbl-mod/.

There's of course a working demo already and instead of making much words, just see for yourself:

The video material used in this demo was taken from another pinsider how did a similar mods a while ago (PinballMikeD).

Hope you like it.

Br Steve

#2 5 years ago

Is this another (third) creature holo mod? Wow!

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Is this another (third) creature holo mod? Wow!

If you count only the ones that are working it is actually the second.

#4 5 years ago

So when do we get to actually buy these wonderful mods?

#5 5 years ago

This one seems like it is possible - your linked page says you will do kits if interested. We are interested - just FYI - the kit should include the serial connection we need as well or solid directions on how to do it. I hope as well this will mount to the base of the cabinet not the playfield just seems more simple.

The media is not a deal killer people can do their own media if they have the mas size of the images etc. How long they should be etc. It would be great to get media but it is not a deal killer....I think that is something that can be done or at worst we can pay for this if we have to separately.

#6 5 years ago

In the beginning of the video you already saw the complete controller installation. We decided to place both controllers in the backbox and connect the screen via HDMI that is a little longer.

Serial connection is really just two wires from the RasPiSound shield to the other pi (serial media server) that's an easy one.

There will be a complete image including media files so that you only need to write that image to the SD card.

What is not yet 100% clear is the mounting brackets for the screen. The demo installation is not the final one.

If you want to be an early adopter willing to give it a try, you can already order a RasPiSound kit and the serial media server image without media files. Both available here: https://go-dmd.de/shop.

Better sound is granteed. Mounting the screen, putting media on the server controller is DIY work.

Br Steve

#7 5 years ago

Wow. How long has this been in development? Beating the other mod to the market is smart.

#8 5 years ago

Note: it does not come with loaded media, so it looks like you're on your own to get the appropriate video playback and images.

Did I read that on your website correctly?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Note: it does not come with loaded media, so it looks like you're on your own to get the appropriate video playback and images.
Did I read that on your website correctly?

I just reached an agreement with pinballmiked, the creator of the former CFTBL mod, so you can also get the serial media server package INCLUDING all media for CFTBL.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I just reached an agreement with pinballmiked, the creator of the former CFTBL mod, so you can also get the serial media server package INCLUDING all media for CFTBL.

Nice. Man, this is going to be awesome. 2 aftermarket CTFBL hologram mods coming out at the same time....

Looking forward to whoever gets theirs out on the mass market first. Exciting times for CFTBL owners!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Nice. Man, this is going to be awesome. 2 aftermarket CTFBL hologram mods coming out at the same time....
Looking forward to whoever gets theirs out on the mass market first. Exciting times for CFTBL owners!

You aint gonna see the pinballsp one for 6 months the rate hes going! and even when it does come out it will be missing all the media (or if it does include media it will be stolen / unlicensed)

Although a competitive product might just give him the kick up the ass before he loses all his customers. Also depends how much DIY is involved in this kit. Some people literally just want plug and play so it will not appeal to them at all and will have to wait for pinballsp (long wait)

#12 5 years ago

So now with media that makes it real and maybe a bit DIY but versus a blue hologram a real deal.

I think mounting a monitor should not be impossible.

#13 5 years ago

I know the attitude of many pinheads to always get something "plug and play" and I can understand it, but to be honest: I'm not in the pinball supply business and never will be. I have a normal job and pinball ball projects is my favourite hobby.

So if your going to give this a try, expect to still do some DIY work: some wiring, maybe some soldering, download some software or image putting that to an sd card ...

I'm willing to support everyone as much as I can, but I'm best if I am behind my keyboard or in my "pinball laboratory" trying, testing, measuring, creating new ideas ...

And of course everybody is welcome to contribute. So if anybody feels he/she has the best mounting solution ever for screens in CFTBL, step forward and present your approach, you're very welcome.

Br Steve

#14 5 years ago

I am cool with some of my own work...mounting etc.

I have looked at your site what are the parts we need to order to do this mod?

Also does this turn on when the pinball machine turns or how do this boot up.

For me pinballs are a project all the time.

#15 5 years ago

Great work Steve. Looks like a great way to do this

#16 5 years ago

Great job, I support this and love to see people taking things into their own hands

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I am cool with some of my own work...mounting etc.
I have looked at your site what are the parts we need to order to do this mod?
Also does this turn on when the pinball machine turns or how do this boot up.
For me pinballs are a project all the time.

The test installation we did uses an extra power supply dedicated to the new sound system (RasPiSound) and the serial-media-server, that controls the display underneath the playfield. So we hooked up main power switch in the cabinet in order to get it switched on an off together with the machine.

When you look at the demo video at second 1 you see the power supply, at second 7 the machine is switched on, then the sound system boots ending with the chim at second 26, serial-media-server also shows a startup animation until it displays the default screen for CFTBL at second 34.

I will provide a parts list later today of all the parts we used in the demo installation and post it here in this thread.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

The test installation we did uses an extra power supply dedicated to the new sound system (RasPiSound) and the serial-media-server, that controls the display underneath the playfield. So we hooked up main power switch in the cabinet in order to get it switched on an off together with the machine.
When you look at the demo video at second 1 you see the power supply, at second 7 the machine is switched on, then the sound system boots ending with the chim at second 26, serial-media-server also shows a startup animation until it displays the default screen for CFTBL at second 34.
I will provide a parts list later today of all the parts we used in the demo installation and post it here in this thread.

Great looking forward to it....

This is a super mod and I like a project...

#19 5 years ago

This looks like it will actually see completion and affordable. Excited to see it finished

#20 5 years ago

I've updated the blog article https://pinball-mods.de/2018/10/21/new-cftbl-mod/ added a complete part list for all you need to build it.

Just to quote it here:

For RasPiSound:

1* power supply 12V Mean Well RD-65A (or RD-85A) combined one with 12V / 5V
1* RasPiSound Kit
1* RasPiSound Image
1* RasPiSound Lizenz
1* Raspberry PI3 B
1* 16GB micro SD Card Sandisk Ultra
1* Mini-USB Soundcard
1* Mounting plate f. RasPiSound + Serial Media Server
4* Screws ca. M2,5*12 + 4 nuts M2,5 + 4 standoffs 5mm
1* power cable 3pol. f. main supply
2* red/black wires to 2nd Pi (see below)
1* short audio cable (usb sound to amplifier) 3.5 mm audio jack

If you like to upgrade speakers as well:
2* panel speakers
1* cabinet bass speaker
5m speaker cable

For Serial-Media-Server:

1* Serial-Media-Server-Image (incl. media package)
1* Raspberry PI3 B
1* Raspberry heatsink (optional)
1* 16GB micro SD Card Sandisk Ultra
4* Screws ca. M2,5*12 + 4 nuts M2,5 + 4 standoffs 5mm
1* HDMI cable 3m angulated on one side
2* DuPont cable (female-female) 20cm
1* 13,3" LCD panel full-hd (e.g. this)
1* mounting plate und vesa brackets matching display mounts
1* adapter 2 pol 12V to power jack matching lcd panel power plug
2* 10m red/black wires for lcd power supply

#21 5 years ago

Are you developing a how to kit with step by step or just an outline of what needs to be done

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Are you developing a how to kit with step by step or just an outline of what needs to be done

yes I will provide something and there is already quite some pre read for RasPiSound in this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi.

Maybe this wasn't outlined that clear, but this isn't of course not only about new movies playing instead of holo, but also a total new sound experience. To get an impression what this means check out my youtube playlist for RasPiSound: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7wZK3Dpsn941nw1Wfdt1E1nPjo_W5dHP

You can e.g. start with rebuilding sound and add CFTBL mod later.

So at least for the second part building the CFTBL mod I will provide a how to. But compared to rebuilding sound the latter is easier. You get two files for setting up an sd card, plug in sd card, power adapter, hdmi monitor cable and serial link into media server PI and thats it.

I expect that the mechanical work and the power / hdmi wiring for the monitor should be feasible for anybody with some experience in pinball repair.

And one final addition (maybe not so interesting to the CFTBL folks): this solution is flexible. There was another guy how wants to adapt this to a data east star trek replacing the backbox "beam me up" animation with some nice video from the original tv series. I would be happy to assist with this as well.

#23 5 years ago

Somebody already invented a stand

If there are enough guys interested, I might be willing to produce some stands for US customers - at a reasonable price. It wouldn’t make since from a shipping perspective to send them overseas.

#24 5 years ago

I think my winter project may be adding this to my Monster Bash, I’ll add a small screen for the Creature swamp!

#25 5 years ago

Looking forward to this and could we adapt it to an Arkon Sexy Girl & Magic picture?

#26 5 years ago

What if you already have a pinsound in your game?

#27 5 years ago

What if you already have a pinsound in your game?

You could use it in another machine. An alternative would be to trigger the videos with a pin2dmd device.

Pin2dmd supports sending out serial commands for a long time, but was never used so far. But even if the demo shows an installation of pin2dmd in CFTBL we didn't use it for the demo. But it would be an alternative.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Somebody already invented a stand
If there are enough guys interested, I might be willing to produce some stands for US customers - at a reasonable price. It wouldn’t make since from a shipping perspective to send them overseas.

This would make things much easier - I would be interested

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

yes I will provide something and there is already quite some pre read for RasPiSound in this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi.
Maybe this wasn't outlined that clear, but this isn't of course not only about new movies playing instead of holo, but also a total new sound experience. To get an impression what this means check out my youtube playlist for RasPiSound: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7wZK3Dpsn941nw1Wfdt1E1nPjo_W5dHP
You can e.g. start with rebuilding sound and add CFTBL mod later.
So at least for the second part building the CFTBL mod I will provide a how to. But compared to rebuilding sound the latter is easier. You get two files for setting up an sd card, plug in sd card, power adapter, hdmi monitor cable and serial link into media server PI and thats it.
I expect that the mechanical work and the power / hdmi wiring for the monitor should be feasible for anybody with some experience in pinball repair.
And one final addition (maybe not so interesting to the CFTBL folks): this solution is flexible. There was another guy how wants to adapt this to a data east star trek replacing the backbox "beam me up" animation with some nice video from the original tv series. I would be happy to assist with this as well.

For me the mod would be more important sound second but that’s just me - I always hate taking on too many projects at once. Tends to be harder...

I was the one who mentioned Data East Star Trek but I just sold that machine it would have been cool.

Trying to limit myself to one project at a time. Just finishing Fish Tales now and then have a Congo rebuild I only wanted CFTBL to be a LED conversion, wax, clean etc. but that is not going to happen mine is already very clean so this will be a good mod but the list just got huge with your mod.

#30 5 years ago

I have a pin2dmd spare here that I could use to trigger events. Haven’t put it into any machine. My plan was to colourise cftbl at some point for it but haven’t had the time to start the project: if I could use it to trigger the video mod also that may enthuse me to start

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

I have a pin2dmd spare here that I could use to trigger events. Haven’t put it into any machine. My plan was to colourise cftbl at some point for it but haven’t had the time to start the project: if I could use it to trigger the video mod also that may enthuse me to start

I can help you with that since i have a dump of cftbl, pin2dmds, raspberries and all that stuff thats needed, except for a raspinsound and a creech.
Plus, I already created a mount for it but without excat measurements it'll be hard to make it fit. anyways, my printer is actually printing the first revision for steve's friend to test.

PM me if you like

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Sicko_Fual:

I can help you with that since i have a dump of cftbl, pin2dmds, raspberries and all that stuff thats needed, except for a raspinsound and a creech.
Plus, I already created a mount for it but without excat measurements it'll be hard to make it fit. anyways, my printer is actually printing the first revision for steve's friend to test.
PM me if you like

I'm not very familiar with rasp stuff and I have a pinsound in mine so if anyone has feedback for an alternative I'd love to start assembling a kit for myself

#33 5 years ago

I'm not very familiar with rasp stuff and I have a pinsound in mine so if anyone has feedback for an alternative I'd love to start assembling a kit for myself

It's a LOT of tinkering; this is still early days for this mod, so be prepared! It is killer though. And the new video trigger puts it over the moon!

#34 5 years ago

As I have a pin2dmd in my LW3 already, I may can prepare a demo that shows the general procedure. Necessary steps in principle are:

* install pin2dmd as color replacement display
* setup a pin2dmd project for your game (for lw3 there is already a decent colorazation from malenko available)
* setup some keyframe trigger point of the type "event" and note down the numbers (device id / event id)
* connect pin2dmd device with serial-media-server
* setup media files for media server
-> enjoy

Hop I can make also a demo for that, but its very time consuming creating / preparing such demos.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's a LOT of tinkering; this is still early days for this mod, so be prepared! It is killer though. And the new video trigger puts it over the moon!

Make me one and I'll coat a game for ya

#36 5 years ago

Make me one and I'll coat a game for ya

I may take you up on that - but I Gotta finish mine first!

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I may take you up on that - but I Gotta finish mine first!

Stop stalling

#39 5 years ago

As preview of a more detailed HOWTO including pictures, there was a specific question on how to link the two PI's together:
Serial-Connection (resized).pngSerial-Connection (resized).png

1 week later
#40 5 years ago

As a more general FAQ of how to use the serial media server I started a FAQ here https://pinball-mods.de/2018/11/05/serial-media-server-faq/. Feedback / comments welcome.

I currently working on an alternative controller that instead of using RasPiSound can emit control commands to the serial media server. This will make the mod installation even easier, but of course no sound improvement included.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

As a more general FAQ of how to use the serial media server I started a FAQ here https://pinball-mods.de/2018/11/05/serial-media-server-faq/. Feedback / comments welcome.
I currently working on an alternative controller that instead of using RasPiSound can emit control commands to the serial media server. This will make the mod installation even easier, but of course no sound improvement included.

For me I would like to keep it simple - have the hologram mod and not mess with the sound. Just seems like if I was trying to improve one thing by messing with the sound I could have a larger tougher issue or mod.

I think people are just waiting for a mod for this hologram - we are watching your progress - keep us updated.

2 weeks later
#42 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

For me I would like to keep it simple - have the hologram mod and not mess with the sound. Just seems like if I was trying to improve one thing by messing with the sound I could have a larger tougher issue or mod.
I think people are just waiting for a mod for this hologram - we are watching your progress - keep us updated.

Agreed. Separate sound from video and you'll reach a larger audience. Most would just want to replace hologram with video and leave sound as is, myself included.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Agreed. Separate sound from video and you'll reach a larger audience. Most would just want to replace hologram with video and leave sound as is, myself included.

Have you heard TheWool's mix? It is outstanding; really makes the game come alive. I'd at least check out the youtube -

#44 5 years ago

Looks like everyone and their mama's out there working on this.

Here's my take on it... work in progress.

Just gotta finish making something to read the lamp matrix/cab light.

P_20181126_100039_vHDR_Auto[1] (resized).jpgP_20181126_100039_vHDR_Auto[1] (resized).jpgP_20181126_100239_vHDR_Auto[1] (resized).jpgP_20181126_100239_vHDR_Auto[1] (resized).jpg
#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Have you heard TheWool's mix? It is outstanding; really makes the game come alive. I'd at least check out the youtube -

Got it on mine really impressive and would be shame to have to ditch it for the screen mod not real sure I would to be honest I might have just saved myself some money

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from john17a:

Got it on mine really impressive and would be shame to have to ditch it for the screen mod not real sure I would to be honest I might have just saved myself some money

Not sure I follow - you can install both with no problem

2 weeks later
#47 5 years ago

Today we finally found a very cheap but solid solution of how to mount the monitor. There a monitor stand available at amazon https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00OQSVJPM which can be truncated a bit and then wil be a perfect fit for our CFTBL mod.

Monitorstand3 (resized).jpgMonitorstand3 (resized).jpgMonitorstand2 (resized).jpgMonitorstand2 (resized).jpgMonitorstand1 (resized).jpgMonitorstand1 (resized).jpg

Unfortunately the alternative approach which replaces the RasPiSound (complete sound replacement) by a much simpler controller board that then triggers the videos is still not ready, because I could not test it in the real machine. But anyway giving the creature a sound upgrade (especially with the wool mix) together with this mod makes perfect sense

/Steve

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Today we finally found a very cheap but solid solution of how to mount the monitor. There a monitor stand available at amazon amazon.com link » which can be truncated a bit and then wil be a perfect fit for our CFTBL mod.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Unfortunately the alternative approach which replaces the RasPiSound (complete sound replacement) by a much simpler controller board that then triggers the videos is still not ready, because I could not test it in the real machine. But anyway giving the creature a sound upgrade (especially with the wool mix) together with this mod makes perfect sense
/Steve

KILLER!

#49 5 years ago

Really looking forward to seeing this some more. Love to do this to my game

#50 5 years ago

Great work so far. I’m interested once you’re ready to take orders

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 27.95
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-creature-holo-mod-for-cftbl/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.