Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

led2.jpg
    LED.jpg
    Bally_Flicker_LED.png
    Bally LED.jpg
    IMG_2922.JPG
    NW-VS-WW.jpg
    ICE-VS-BLUE.jpg
    LED-VS-INCAN.jpg
    comet-led.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 8 years ago
    Quoted from Riptor:

I bought a couple of the xpin LED boards. Installed in my xenon the other night and it works like it should. Sure beats soldering resistors on the lamp sockets.
    I would still rather buy bulbs that already had the resistor built in.

I would also prefer to buy individual bulbs. There are some games where the resistor mod is needed but don't use the Bally Lamp boards, so you have no choice.

Game Plan games used the same SCR's as Bally and I have confirmed that they flicker in a Sharpshooter and that the resistor mod fixes the flicker.

Zaccaria Machines also use the same SCR's, I don't think it had the flicker problem in my Farfalla with LED's but there was another odditiy with the LED's that I never fixed or looked into. Can anybody else comment if this is needed for Zac games?

Also possibly some of the 6803 Bally machines have the flicker problem. I have done 6+ different titles with no Issues, but Eight Ball Champ definitely had flicker that was resolved with a resistor.

#117 8 years ago

There are only 63 controlled lamps on most Bally pins (maybe another 24 more IIRC on games with the aux lamp driver). The GI bulbs don't need these modded LED's and to put those in the GI would just put extra load and heat back into the game. This comes out to an added cost of only $12.60 if the resistor mod lamp was $.20 more than an equivalent lamp.

So $13 versus the cost of the add on boards of $45-$100 for the 63 lamp games. So the savings is $33-88 per game.
    But the cost climbs to $105-$160 versus $17 for games with the $60 aux lamp driver board used EBD, FG, Kiss, etc. So the savings is $88-$143

This savings can be even more as not every led will flicker when installing standard LED's. The eight ball champ I just did only had about 14 lamps flickering that I had to add resistors too. The last Kiss I did only had around a dozen or so flickering lamps within the grid in the center before I added the aftermarket lamp board.

#119 8 years ago

If it helped with introducing the design I could see offering these in only 4 colors and 2 sizes to start, White, Red, Green and Blue in only 44 and 555 2 LED frosted domes. This would allow them to work under inserts, through the playfield or sideways under an insert and fit most applications.

1 month later
    #130 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

If I wanted to put LEDs in a Bally 6803, is the Siegecraft the way to go?

Most 6803 games don't need the resistors. I've only needed them on an eight ball champ.

6 months later
    #133 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Well, I have a Gameplan and an Allied Leisure Coctail I would like to add LEDs to but they don't make an adapter for. I am not sure if the resistors would work on an Allied Leisure or not. It seems like they should. I can solder no problem but man, I have better use of my time. I would love a drop in LED fix.

Yes, gamplan games work with adding the resistor, you can add them at the socket or at the lamp boards.

The allied leisure games use darlington transistor array chips to drive the lamps (75492). not sure that they need the resistors to install LED's.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-comet-led-for-classic-ballystern-games?tu=kbliznick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.