IMG_20160705_205232_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160705_205219_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160705_205215_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160705_204329_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160705_204302_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160705_204317_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160705_204207_(resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Just installed a new ColorDMD in my NGG and the difference between it and the one from a few months ago in my SS is significant. They must have upped the pixel count to get such smooth lettering. I even went back and watched the NGG video they have posted and its not even close to this new screen.

IMG_20160705_204207_(resized).jpgIMG_20160705_204207_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160705_204317_(resized).jpgIMG_20160705_204317_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160705_204302_(resized).jpgIMG_20160705_204302_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160705_204329_(resized).jpgIMG_20160705_204329_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Additional shots

IMG_20160705_205215_(resized).jpgIMG_20160705_205215_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160705_205219_(resized).jpgIMG_20160705_205219_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160705_205232_(resized).jpgIMG_20160705_205232_(resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

That's not a new screen, that's a rendering option. You can go into the settings and chose Dots, Dots XL, Tile, 8-Bit, Hirez, or Scan. Looks like yours defaulted to Hirez. I recommend Dots XL

#4 7 years ago

IMO, that makes it even worse!

I know it's personal taste, but there's nothing better than a DMD, wether it's colored or original.

For newer pins, LCD as Backglass is a cool new thingy, but not for the old machines.

Greetings,
Dom

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the correction. I guess that kind of thing is probably in a manual somewhere I should have read

#6 7 years ago

LOL

Personally I find the "upscaling" to look really stupid and prefer the dots to look as they originally did, albeit in color.

#7 7 years ago

oops,
I thought i could really see an improvement in resolution.
Not how the graphics were displayed but a real increase of the screen resolution

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL
Personally I find the "upscaling" to look really stupid and prefer the dots to look as they originally did, albeit in color.

Exactly why I'm looking forward to the LED option.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL

Agreed. Smearing the dots together isn't going to fool anyone that they're looking at high resolution animation....and it actually "misinterprets" the artist's intention. For example, if you look at that golf ball bomb above - it's solid, but it's jaggedy around the edges. When you see that same image in dots, your mind fills in the missing details and interprets it as round. It looks correct with dots, but incorrect when solid.

Generally it seems that the people who like the "Hirez" mode do so because the scores are easier to read and brighter...they're not as interested in the character art and animation. People like me who focus on the animation like it on DotsXL.

#10 7 years ago

My friends and I never understood why people would spend $400 on a dmd and run dots because it looks "original". If you want original, leave it original and save $400. If I drop the coin on a color I'm rocking hi Def.

#11 7 years ago

So... much... hate...
Personally; I find the orange DMDs boring... and would gladly take ColorDMD over anything current offered for DMDera games.

#12 7 years ago

Our dots are non-denominational. They also taste great while being less filling.

#13 7 years ago

Personally, I like the HiRes setting because it makes my old ass machine feel like a new one.

#14 7 years ago

Hi-res looks great in some games and dots look better in others... imo. Shadow -- dots. ACDC, Sopranos, Wh20 -- upscaling. Of course when you're the one mostly playing it's hard to look up too often so a lot of the benefits of the Color are lost... but I still love it and enjoy it even more when I can watch other people playing. It really makes older games jump into the modern age -- if that's your thing.

#15 7 years ago

Tile mode is the best.

#16 7 years ago

Funny how everyone likes something different.
We prefer Scan or Dot's XL.
With Scan you still get shading instead of one solid color that HiRes gives.

#17 7 years ago

I like scan option. It looks like hires but the scanlines help the upscaling not look like low res upscaled to high as much.

#18 7 years ago

Man, I just can't get with the upscaling options, it looks kinda smeary and melty. The color dots are great, though, they really make the cartoony animations pop, especially when they're crisply delineated on the HD screen. Give me dots!

dots_please_(resized).pngdots_please_(resized).png

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

My friends and I never understood why people would spend $400 on a dmd and run dots because it looks "original". If you want original, leave it original and save $400. If I drop the coin on a color I'm rocking hi Def.

Do not agree completely. Dots are ok in older machines, but like SM I think the colored dots do right to most animations.
Also Tron. But on something like IJ I just think it is not needed.

#20 7 years ago

Anybody tried the Hi-Res with Spiderman yet ?

I have it set to dots and had to turn down the contrast to get the best out of it. Will have to try HiRes later.

#21 7 years ago

The hi res option is definitely the way to go for IJ. For TZ I prefer scan

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

Tile mode is the best.

I'm a fan of Tile as well. Almost all of my games are set this way.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Do not agree completely. Dots are ok in older machines, but like SM I think the colored dots do right to most animations.
Also Tron. But on something like IJ I just think it is not needed.

Are you kidding? The colors on IJ are incredible!!!!

Quoted from Djshakes:

My friends and I never understood why people would spend $400 on a dmd and run dots because it looks "original". If you want original, leave it original and save $400.

That makes zero sense. Original is monochrome. ColorDMD is in color. Color looks incredible with Dots XL. Art is retained as the artist intended, but color.

#24 7 years ago

I started with Tile and now am using Dots. I have an AC/DC and I'm about ready to mix it up a little and my try HiRes but I don't think it will last. I'll probable just alternate Dots and Tile

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are you kidding? The colors on IJ are incredible!!!!

That makes zero sense. Original is monochrome. ColorDMD is in color. Color looks incredible with Dots XL. Art is retained as the artist intended, but color.

Plus you can see things that you never knew were there. War Of The Ents mode in LOTR is a prime example. Until I put a ColorDMD in it I never knew that Treebeard has the hobbits on him at the start of the animation.

#26 7 years ago

High Res for TSPP! Fits the theme perfect. The jaggy lines remind me of the animation in the first season before they started to clean it up.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

High Res for TSPP! Fits the theme perfect. The jaggy lines remind me of the animation in the first season before they started to clean it up.

No way - even when the animation was rough, they knew how to draw straight lines and circles. With Dots or DotsXL, the characters' eyes register as "round" ...the back of Bart's head registers as "straight" ...in Hirez, his neck looks like upsidedown stairs and character eyes are odd shapes like diamonds.

#28 7 years ago

Sorry, should have said the Simpsons Shorts from the Ullman show, which was technically not their first season. The distortion on the dmd in high res reminds me of this.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Led
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
£ 38.00
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
8,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coopersburg, PA
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-colordmd-screens-huge-improvement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.