(Topic ID: 127923)

New coil wrappers unwrapping?

By NYP

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I thought I was improving the machine but lately I'm noticing the new coil wrappers I put on are unwrapping and look like shit. I know the coils were clean and bone dry when I installed them so it's nothing like that. I doubt I'm the only one, anyone else having this problem and what has anyone done to prevent? Only though I have to is to maybe spray some 3M adhesive before applying but obviously I would prefer if they stuck better by themselves.

#2 8 years ago

Can you throw some pics up? Also, where did you buy them?

#3 8 years ago

The wrappers will never stick well to the coil (if that's what you're expecting). The only really adhesion you get is where you overlap the wrapper. If they came with adhesive I would just add some of the 3M spray adhesive. Just spray it on the last inch or so where the overlap is.

#4 8 years ago

I've encountered this issue with a set of coil wrappers from Bay Area Amusements I used on a Williams IJ restoration. I spent a lot of time making sure the overlap was firmly pressed down, used gloves so I wouldn't transfer oils to the adhesive, made sure the coils were clean and dry before installation of the new wrappers, etc., and was none too pleased to see the wrappers unwind after several months in a climate-controlled home game room.

I pressed the loose flap back down and sealed the end with a small line of super glue; that seems to have done the trick.

#5 8 years ago

Scotch Double-Sided Tape on the ends of the wrappers...

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Double-Sided-4-inch-237/dp/B0000DH8IT

#6 8 years ago

Don't remember where I bought them, either bay area or planetary which I guess is the same product. I might try the scotch double sided tape idea but like jadziedzic I installed them right and they did overlap and simply started coming off at the ends. I'll have to try the tape or adhesive idea even though I think it would be better if they had a stronger adhesive.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

I might try the scotch double sided tape idea but like jadziedzic I installed them right and they did overlap and simply started coming off at the ends. I'll have to try the tape or adhesive idea even though I think it would be better if they had a stronger adhesive.

Word of advice, if you've never used Scotch Double-Sided Tape. The first few inches from the dispenser is just a leader. Just pull it out, cut it off, and throw it away.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-coil-wrappers-unwrapping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.