(Topic ID: 184553)

New CoffeeTable... or bring it back to life?

By Sheprd

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tdbc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What would you do?”

• Leave it as a coffee table. 11 votes
    41%
  • Find original boards and make a wiring harness and restore to original. 8 votes
    30%
  • Use a PROC or similar and create a new game, 3 votes
    11%
  • Use something like Rasberry Pi and a driver board to make an attract mode show for it in coffee table use. 5 votes
    19%

(27 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Vegas Inside.jpg
IMG_2946 (resized).JPG
IMG_2945 (resized).JPG
IMG_2944 (resized).JPG
IMG_2943 (resized).JPG
IMG_2935 (resized).JPG
IMG_2934 (resized).JPG
IMAG0331 (resized).jpg
IMAG0330 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I just picked up a Game Plan Vegas Cocktail pinball machine that has been used as a coffee table. The good news: The playfield is in great shape, as well as the plastics, and no back glass to worry about. The bad news: Someone removed the boards and power supply, and most of the wiring harness. If this was a Bally or Williams, I'm sure I could round up the parts to bring it back to life. Finding boards for a Game Plan may be difficult. Creating a wiring harness would be a ton of work.

What would you do?

IMAG0330 (resized).jpg

IMAG0331 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

That's an impressive looking coffee table. But man, if it worked it would be IMPRESSIVE impressive

#3 3 years ago

A little of everything cachepot making a new game; too hard.

I would doodle around with rasberry to make a light show if it's easy and fun, whilst working your way looking for parts to bring it back to life.

#4 3 years ago

Its not impossible, just time consuming.
Start a wanted or restoration thread and see if anyone wants to contribute.

#5 3 years ago

I would just make it light up and have a cool table. To try and find all thats needed would cost a small fortune.

#6 3 years ago

It looks like you are going to need the rest of the cabinet to start with. Check to see if it has the displays.
Cool table.

IMG_2934 (resized).JPG

IMG_2935 (resized).JPG

#7 3 years ago

not a perfet answer, but is there a Bally game with simlar features?
Rewire the whole thing to suit bally electronics and out in an altec board

#8 3 years ago

Leave it like it is. Great conversation piece.....trust me.

John

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Leave it like it is. Great conversation piece.....trust me.
John

I thought of the pieces you have in your living room when I bought this. Thanks John.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

not a perfet answer, but is there a Bally game with simlar features?
Rewire the whole thing to suit bally electronics and out in an altec board

Now that is an option that I did not consider. If I could map lamps and features in a way that would make sense... With the Altec, I would be able to select different built in roms to emulate the closest match. Buy a Bally sound board from Andrew. Hmmmm.

Mac

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

I thought of the pieces you have in your living room when I bought this. Thanks John.

Thanks Mac. I do think lighting up the inserts would be cool though but to restore the game back to original? No.

John

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

It looks like you are going to need the rest of the cabinet to start with. Check to see if it has the displays.
Cool table.

The displays are intact. Are the boards in the lower cabinet? Thanks for the photo... I was wondering what was supposed to be there. Do have any pictures of the unit opened up where it shows the board layout?

#13 3 years ago

I think you could spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours making it work again, but you'd be left with a crappy pinball machine but great cocktail table. Or you could spend about $100 and a couple hours to do the light show as others mentioned, and still have a great cocktail table.

Let's face it.... people will play 4-5 games on it for the novelty, and then move on to one of the real machines.

#14 3 years ago

Any thoughts on what to do with the LED displays during the light show? Clock, Date, inside and outside temp?

#15 3 years ago

There probably wasn't a whole lot in the base except the transformer, chimes, power board and CPU board. Mostly empty space.

For what you have there I would think about using an Arduino Mega to control the lights and you could later use it to read the switches and control it. There are several similar Arduino pinball projects to reference. Your table would be a perfect candidate.

#16 3 years ago

Todd Tuckey did a video on these. Basically he made it seem like the company that made these tried marketing them to average people to be operators. The company also highly encouraged buying spare boards. This leads me to believe that MANY spare parts are floating around out there.

Considering it's in such nice shape, and don't go for that much, it probably would be easy to track down the parts needed. Todd may have some! It's a nice coffee table in the meantime so you can take your time finding the parts and reassemble as you get the parts. Just my two cents.

#17 3 years ago

Just another opinion but, it's a fugly coffee table. That veneer looks like the paneling in my parents basement. Offer it for parts and you may provide someone with what they need to finish their project. Mention that you'll entertain a trade and who knows, you may have what someone thought they'd never find and work yourself out a nice trade...for an actual coffee table, or another game. Good luck.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from paintpins:

Just another opinion but, it's a fugly coffee table. That veneer looks like the paneling in my parents basement. Offer it for parts and you may provide someone with what they need to finish their project. Mention that you'll entertain a trade and who knows, you may have what someone thought they'd never find and work yourself out a nice trade...for an actual coffee table, or another game. Good luck.

I say just paint the wood panel black... Make the lights interactive with an arduino... Keep it one sexy table for that fine sexy cup of coffee.

#19 3 years ago

Creating a wiring harness wouldn't be too bad. If you're decently technical, making it a homebrew game would be pretty simple due to the low number of switches/solenoids.

Instead of painting, get a cool textured roll of vinyl from eBay and wrap it. Very easy, very cheap and very cool looking!

Or if you're not feeling any of this, sell it to me so I can do all of the above

#20 3 years ago

Well now I know who's buying up all the shag rug. Mystery solved...

#21 3 years ago

Some inside pictures.

IMG_2943 (resized).JPG

IMG_2944 (resized).JPG

IMG_2945 (resized).JPG

IMG_2946 (resized).JPG

#22 3 years ago

A great conversation piece as is.
Could throw some simple LED strips in it to light it up cheaply.

I'd be tempted to make it run, and would probably try to find another Game Plan to grab parts from. But I'm insane.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

Some inside pictures.

Thanks for the inside pictures! This looks to be an earlier game than Vegas, but I believe GamePlan only made a few versions of boards. I have a GamePlan Old Coney Island, so I am familiar with the Z80 systems. The Vegas has a sound board and speaker instead of chimes.

#24 3 years ago

This is the inside of Vegas...

Vegas Inside.jpg

#25 3 years ago

Its probably better left as a table. Looks like a nice playfield. Unless someone gave you a working game for free it would most likely cost more than its worth.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

This is the inside of Vegas...

Thanks! I wonder how many of these are still out there...

2 weeks later
#27 3 years ago

Let me know if you want to part with it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 55.00
Lighting - Interactive
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 78.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 6.50
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Customs
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.99
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 64.00
$ 36.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 7,699.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside