7D498AAE-0127-44A0-97F2-0BD6000DA71A (resized).jpeg
EED73964-BC40-409E-A260-A68CF9E9AD15 (resized).png
F75FF5B6-5924-495E-B2C9-7B8778DA8ECE (resized).png
1B9E1145-EDB7-4723-ACFA-CCFF73F3FBCD (resized).png
IMG-4738 (resized).PNG
9D53DBF1-52B1-4B5E-B136-5855BFD19582 (resized).jpg
Enlight1 (resized).jpg
IMG-2168 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider karl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#546 8 years ago

Good interview. It will always be a bit commercial like, when it is the marketing guys you interview.

Although good (and interesting since Jared is a new guy at Stern) I can understand pinwiztom's points. It is very rare to see/hear/read anything from designers/programmers/sound guys/art staff when it comes to Stern interviews in general.

At least we did not get another Gerry Stern speech

This is your que to set up a lengthy, meaty Steve Ritchie or Lyman sheats session, Nate

#551 8 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

If you feel I am too soft on the Marketing arm of the largest company that builds the machines that I love so much... well... I don't know what to tell ya. Get into politics?

My comment was not meant to be critical about you at all. I enjoyed the show and I listen to everything you do and look forward to every new one you make. I am sorry if my comment was taken that way.

That show actually was really refreshing coming after all the Jpop stuff that has been clogging up the interweb (pinside first and foremost) lately. (I understand that it happens and I feel for those involved in the Jpop maelstrom but as a bystander I am pretty sick of the whole discussion)

Looking forward to your next broadcast.

PS! Just a friendly reminder: The first Full Throttle games will be ready in less than a week. I hope you will have a chance to do a chat up with Andrew Heighway again. It really looks like good things are happening up there in Wales and I would love to see Heighway pinball get more exposure in the media, in general.

Your friendly listener
Karl

#564 8 years ago

Great episode. Always impressed with the knowledge of Josh Sharpe. Who better to have on the show to talk about code updates.

Sounds like TWD is getting more and more interesting. I was not a big fan of the playfield to begin with, but it sounds like Lyman is trying really hard to change my mind about this game Looking forward to checking out this machine now. (if only I could find one, that is )

1 week later
#594 8 years ago

Great to hear that you think AMH would fit the pinball arcade app, Nate. I suggested the same thing a while ago in the pinball arcade forum, when discussing what their next Halloween table will be. Sounds like Ben Heck is really easy to work with, and I am sure some extra cash for him and Spooky would come in handy. Only problem is that Farsight would need a real machine at their office to do the digital conversion. Maybe you could lend them your machine

1 month later
#644 8 years ago

Enjoyed the latest episode.

A couple of thoughts:

Regarding the prices in pinball talk in the latest episode, cool and interesting discussion. One factor is that Stern Pro is not equal to the games in the 90'

Stern did the pro thing to keep the prices down and took things out from the pins so it is not comparable to the pins in the late 90'

If you take the 90' prices and compare them to JJP or Stern Premium/LE or Dutch pinball I am betting that the prices have more than doubled.

With that said, people still complain about pro prices, so there is still a lot of truth to your point.

I also believe that many of the complaints comes from non US players that only see the prices in our own countries. Just take Norway as an example. The price for a Stern pro has gone up almost 1000$ in a little more than a year. It has nothing to do with Stern prices, but it still affects our ability to buy a new pin.

Keep up the good work, Nate

3 weeks later
#682 8 years ago

Interesting discussion in this latest podcast.

I was a little surprised that she found those cartoon translites (lucy and Nellie) so offensive

I can agree with most of the other stuff in the podcast but is Lucy really any worse than, say the Kiss translite with those overblown muscles on the band members?

No disrespect meant toward the person being interviewed. I find different opinions like this refreshing to listen to.

#726 8 years ago
Quoted from Artimage:

The problem with this argument is that excluding a minority isn't the same thing as setting up a safe place for a minority. The purpose is different between the two. Why would you hold a men's only tournament? What's the point?
Kids like Escher have proven that age really doesn't matter, but no one is upset about kids tournaments. That's because it is understood that we want to make a place that is friendly to those who are new to the scene.
I'll go out on a limb and say that the long term goal of women's only tournaments is to get more women into pinball and to have them join the main tournaments. No one is trying to create a segregated society, they are just trying to bring more people into the tent. One way to do that is to make events that are specifically aimed at that demographic. We should all support anyone who is trying to grow the hobby.

Extremely well said. Right on!

#740 8 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

Oh man.... I saw all the posts and thought there was a new episode. Bummer.

At least we all know what the next eps will be about

I am getting used to/spoiled by a new eps on Friday. Sorry it didn't happen today. Looking forward to it when you find the time, Nate.

1 month later
#1031 8 years ago

Great show.

I completely agree with Josh on this subject. Sounds and mood are even more important than lots of fancy lights.

Fancy lights are cool but they do not make a game by themselves. There has been some very innovative use of lights on some games
lately that helps the mood, though. Winter is coming on got is a good example, Klingon multiball with lazers is another and of course Fade to black on Metallica

I agree with Nate that on certain games, like Full Throttle, the theme makes it harder, but it is still possible with some more voice clips to make it easier to understand and encourage you along the way.

Knock, knock, knock: Thrrice

2 months later
#1238 8 years ago

About the latest podcast:

Let's just say that there wasn't a whole lot about the spiderman talk that I would agree with. But that's ok

On a much more positive note:

I would like to say congrats on pinball with the pros.

First episode was smashing great stuff. Really looking forward to the next one.

1 week later
#1385 8 years ago

Great podcast!!!

4 months later
#1731 7 years ago

Any word on the next video, Nate?

Looking forward to another eps of pinball with the pros

4 months later
#2001 7 years ago

Fjord to Fjord? Is he moving to Norway?

It's ok to be pining for the fjords, though

1 month later
#2018 7 years ago

Great eps from Nate, but I think that it is a pity to hear of yet another "Stern acting like spoiled children" happening.

Edit: Nate took the whole thing with dignity and offered a truce. Shows great attitude and tact (something that Stern does not deserve)

First the pinball news (who have done so much for pinball and Stern over the years) ban from the Stern party and now a close friend of them, (Nate) that almost started to work for them and have given them so much positive feedback in the past, are given the cold shoulder.
These people have not been talking crap about Stern, they merely questioned the insane Super LE deal.(we all did) That is their job. They report and comment, but they both did it with respect and tact.

Then you have the Gary Stern walk out of the room, when JJP shows their pin, and the suddenly announced stern pizza party when they found out that JJP was having another seminar on Friday. Who has another party the day after their own big party, out of the blue? Have Stern ever given away free pizza like that before? It is so obvious and petty of them.

If these things keep up, it will come back to hurt the company.

Their company policies have already been questioned before, with their Facebook police state and their talking down the competition history.

I remember there was an article about pinball and the growing interest in the hobby a while ago that was focusing on Stern, where the intervjuer, when asking about JJP, just got a short comment that they do not talk about those who should be behind bars (or something similar. It happened around the time of the lawsuit against JJP) It shocked me that they did not get a bigger reaction after that (maybe it was something they said off the record, but still)

Just to be clear here, I have bought and enjoyed many Stern titles and plan to buy more, so I have no agenda here.

It is childish behavior and I really hope they change their tune......soon. Maybe hire a new PR manager?

Edit: Sorry to clog your thread with this long ramble, Nate. I should have started a new thread instead.

#2020 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yea, like Jody Dankberg making statements like this:
"We probably do 99.9 percent of the games shipped. That's not an industry, it's a monopoly."
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/11/13240766/stern-pinball-photo-essay-tour
So let's do the math on that (nate loves to). Let's say stern builds 10k... let's even say 20k. .1% would be 20 games. I'm pretty sure Jersey jack, Heighway and spooky combined build more than 20 pins a year. It's probably closer to 1,000 pins.
So let's reverse the math then. If the competition builds 1,000 pins a year, and Stern builds 99.9% of the market, then that means Stern builds 990,000 pins a year.. Almost 10 times more than every pinball manufacturer in 1992 built. That would mean 19,038 pins a week, or 3800 pinballs per day. That's twice as many units as Ford builds F-series vehicles.

Perfect example. And I would guess that Stern sell somewhere between 5 - 8 000 max, in a good year. That leaves JJP, Dutch, Heighway, Spooky, etc with only 5-8 games combined, each year

8 months later
#2097 6 years ago

Great to hear your voice again, Nate.

To celebrate, I just bought me a Taylor guitar 110 CE LH. (well, it has an awesome sound too )

It's coming from The Nederlands to Oslo.

Wrap it up good for me will you, Nate

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider karl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-coast-2-coast-pinball-episodes-one-thread-all-listed-here?tu=karl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.