7D498AAE-0127-44A0-97F2-0BD6000DA71A (resized).jpeg
EED73964-BC40-409E-A260-A68CF9E9AD15 (resized).png
F75FF5B6-5924-495E-B2C9-7B8778DA8ECE (resized).png
1B9E1145-EDB7-4723-ACFA-CCFF73F3FBCD (resized).png
IMG-4738 (resized).PNG
9D53DBF1-52B1-4B5E-B136-5855BFD19582 (resized).jpg
Enlight1 (resized).jpg
IMG-2168 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1695 7 years ago

wtf is a 'secret podcast' even to start with? what kind of concept is that?

2 weeks later
#1769 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm not trying to take a pot-shot at Josh. I'm sure he's a super good dude and has the best of intentions. He's sacrificing a lot of personal time to run a volunteer league that's massive. Just commenting on what I hear. Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but it certainly sends a weirdly mixed message to my ears. Perhaps a message that has a messenger that's a little too close to the action to see the bigger picture?

Well you need experience to have a better shot at making a functional system.. so the fact it is an 'insider' job shouldn't matter much. They have also been VERY open to feedback and refinements.. so I don't think there is much merit to the concern of insiders.

WPRR was always done with the idea of ENCOURAGING play.. and I think its clear its been very successful at that. It's effectiveness as a RATING system as it comes to player vs player skill is not quite as clear, and those who were around at the time know that there was another system pushed by PAPA and bowen called PARS - which strived to be a ranking system only.. much like one has in Chess, Tennis, etc. The 'accuracy' of the ratings has always taken a backseat for WPRR and there are inherent issues that will never be fully addressed. Much of the tweaks have been around balancing, closing attempts to game the system, and generally keep encouraging MORE EVENTS.

The rest of the comments seem to be about the SCS - which is just one event.. it's not the WPRR system as a whole.

The friction always stems from the scenario when people look at WPRRs as a true skill rating system... it's not that and won't ever be in its current form. Nor does it really pretend to be. Think of it as a ranking of performance on the pinball events circuit... that's really what it is. You won't get to the top without competing... but not being in the list doesn't mean you aren't as good as some of those people.

#1776 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

The accuracy is just as important to us as the promotional aspect of what WPPR is all about. Many of the changes over the last few years have been far more about improving the accuracy of points earned at these events based on the quality of those events, while not worrying about what that may do to discourage players to participate.
I've extremely pleased with how the rankings look, especially in that top 100-200 range, and would welcome anyone that thinks they have an idea for a more accurate system. I have a .csv file with 11,542 event results that I can send to anyone interested

Here is where I disagree with your statement... the system is about ranking accumulating performances, not necessarily rating players as players. It will always punish a player who doesn't compete as much as other people of similar skill (because it's an **accumulation** of performances - not a grading).

Keeping out the fluff, and making the points carry more 'quality' are certainly changes you have made over the years.. and I'm sure it feels like whack a mole sometimes But the model of accumulating points to establish rankings is always going to hinge on participation. And that was the poster's complaint. This isn't like some sports where points are used, but everyone competes the same events.

That's why I said "Think of it as a ranking of performance on the pinball events circuit"

That will correlate well with an actual ranking of players... if the players all participate a reasonable level relative to each other.

#1798 7 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Thanks for the input Snailman.
My original post was purely pointing out that the winner of a competition in V5 now earns less points than the winner of the same competition 3 years ago in V4. There is no debate about that - that IS fact. I said absolutely nothing about how it effects the overall rankings - Josh brought that up.

But that is only a temporal problem... and lesser of evils vs rebooting and starting over. Is it really fair to huff and puff over that point for something that will resolve itself and never come back?

2 months later
#1910 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I can't criticize this, as I'm in their target market. It's just interesting how this played out.

It's alot easier when you let other people take the risks and just copy their model

1 year later
#2174 6 years ago

Thank you for getting KME on the line. This really adds to the game's launch!!

4 months later
#2206 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

That would run waaaay too late.

They have an entire convention center... they could always move things around more

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 210.00
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-coast-2-coast-pinball-episodes-one-thread-all-listed-here?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.