7D498AAE-0127-44A0-97F2-0BD6000DA71A (resized).jpeg
EED73964-BC40-409E-A260-A68CF9E9AD15 (resized).png
F75FF5B6-5924-495E-B2C9-7B8778DA8ECE (resized).png
1B9E1145-EDB7-4723-ACFA-CCFF73F3FBCD (resized).png
IMG-4738 (resized).PNG
9D53DBF1-52B1-4B5E-B136-5855BFD19582 (resized).jpg
Enlight1 (resized).jpg
IMG-2168 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MXV.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#268 9 years ago

Just listened to the latest episode. I had one issue:

AC/DC did not find the one guy in the world that sounded like their original lead singer who died. Brian Johnson sounded nothing at all like Bon Scott. You would be hard pressed to find anyone in the world not able to distinguish between the two singers voices.

Other than that, keep up the good work, I like the showdown segments.

8 months later
#795 8 years ago

Nate I absolutely love your show and I've been catching up on recent episodes that I missed when I was laid up having surgery/recovering but I have to take umbrage with something you said that really irked me in one of those.

I forget what # episode but you mentioned how you "stole" peoples photos and used them for various things, presumably on your website. Your defense was "I don't make money at this, I'm sorry". Well as a photographer I want to tell you that I'M SORRY, but whether or not you make money at what you are doing DOES NOT make you exempt from any licensing fees and financial responsibility you incur from using someone else's work without permission.

I've had my work stolen and I've had to chase down plenty of people to collect money they owed me for using my work and I've also had to get sites taken down for the same reason. You can bet the farm if you or anyone used my photos without permission I don't care how much you don't make at this, I'm going to come after you for my licensing fee and the fee plus damages if I have to get the legal system involved. Also in your case I'm pretty sure you do make a little bit of money considering you are selling t-shirts well above cost so your defense isn't even an honest one. In the case of using people's work, it is NOT better to ask for forgiveness instead of asking permission.

You didn't steal any of my work so you are free of my wrath in that aspect but the reason I am writing all of this is to try to get you to see it from the other side and think about your actions. Your "I don't make money at this" defense is used by EVERYBODY who steals other people's images and further disrespects and devalues what people like I do to make part of their living. I don't think you'd like it if someone took something you worked on and used it in any way without asking, especially if that work helps put food on your table. It really rubbed me the wrong way hearing you say that and made me lose some respect for you. You are better than that Nate! Maybe a bunch of pinball enthusiasts who took some pictures of games may not mind having their photos used somewhere but that is something you need to find out beforehand. Never assume that it's ok because you are just a hobbyist and you aren't making money at it.

I hope this makes you think about it from the other side moving forward and this bump in the road aside, keep up the good work on the podcast.

#799 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So I am not a photographer. How would anyone know if we stole your work? Are your photos on a website? I am really curious as this copyright stuff interests me.

The easy answer is: If you didn't take the photo it is not yours to use unless there is a creative commons licence stating you are free to reproduce the photo.

The even simpler answer is: Just because you found it on the internet doesn't mean it is free to use and in the public domain.

I shoot concerts and pro wrestling shows so my stuff is on many sites. I watermark everything that gets posted but I've had @$$holes crop them out and reuse them on their site. I don't shoot any pinball stuff. My message to Nate was trying to educate him that it's not OK to take other's photos with the defense of "I don't make money at this" and also let him know just how insulting that is to one of my professions.

#828 8 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

You are incorrect. If I ran this as a business and calculated in travel costs and equipment alone, I would be so far in the negative you would think I am a moron. I sold many many shirts at break even after shipping and supplies were added in.
Don't call me dishonest on your bad assumptions.

Fair enough. I did jump to conclusions based on how upset I was to hear the old "I don't make money at this" justification for using photos without permission. So for that I apologize. Like I said, I do photography to earn part of my living so the issue hits really close to home (inside it actually!).

#829 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

That's a pretty unfair phrasing.
Just because you do something awesome doesn't mean you have open access to someone else's photographs.
I think it's really important to respect creator's rights, as it is a huge problem online. Well, at least for the creators.
Mind you, I don't think Nate will have any trouble finding proper photos to use, nor do I think anyone would actually bother to sue him for his collages.
I think the OP just wanted to straighten out the issue based on what was said in the podcast.

You hit the nail on the head, thank you!

I have NOTHING against Nate personally. I don't even know him. I'd like to meet him someday as I have enjoyed his podcast since I first heard it. What he said was offensive to me and the reason I chose to post it in a public forum because it was said on a public podcast and I thought it would also educate others on this site, many of whom also seem oblivious to copyright laws and how they pertain to photos, especially those found online.

#832 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Let me get this straight--are you saying that you'd jump to coming after Nate for licensing (or court! ) fees before asking him to just take the photo down or not do it again? After consuming 100+ hours of his show?
And then you insinuate that he's lying about C2C being a money-making venture in order to avoid licensing fees?
You're a real piece of...work.

Nate chose to make his show available for free. I don't choose to do that with my photos. Again Nate didn't steal my photos, it was just what he said that was insulting to one of my professions.

#834 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

HEY ALLLLLL PINSIDERS !! ..... MXV is a professional photographer AND...... he drives a Dodge Stratus! !!

I don't know what car that is but it sounds like it costs a lot more than the Hyundai I do drive.

#837 8 years ago
Quoted from sleethering:

Do these lifted photos get used for anything more than the episode title images that get posted on this thread for updates?
I could see taking issue if a photo was used for a shirt or something, but those episode images are pretty inconsequential.

The reading comprehension levels among some on this site are embarrassing at times but then again few seem to know the difference between there, their, and they're, or your and you're, or to and too.

My issue was the "steal first apologize later with the "I don't make money" excuse" that he gave in his podcast. He didn't use my photos for anything but he did use other people's photos without asking permission. As a photographer, to me that is reprehensible. It's theft. I wanted to educate him and the others here to think about the other side and think about the possible consequences of their actions and just how poor of an excuse not making money at it is.

#838 8 years ago

I've said my piece, now back to your regularly scheduled C2C podcasts.

#846 8 years ago

It looks interesting to me and I look forward to trying the game out sometime. I also still need to get out to see Kiss and give that one a try.

8 months later
#1670 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Nate is joining the band phISH

That's more of a hippie commune than a band.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 34.99
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MXV.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-coast-2-coast-pinball-episodes-one-thread-all-listed-here?tu=MXV and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.