7D498AAE-0127-44A0-97F2-0BD6000DA71A (resized).jpeg
EED73964-BC40-409E-A260-A68CF9E9AD15 (resized).png
F75FF5B6-5924-495E-B2C9-7B8778DA8ECE (resized).png
1B9E1145-EDB7-4723-ACFA-CCFF73F3FBCD (resized).png
IMG-4738 (resized).PNG
9D53DBF1-52B1-4B5E-B136-5855BFD19582 (resized).jpg
Enlight1 (resized).jpg
IMG-2168 (resized).JPG

There are 2,307 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 47.
#1701 7 years ago

As somebody who no longer plays competitive pinball, I quite enjoy hearing about competitions. One thing that can become a bit tiresome though is hearing about a lot of talk about the format and not the actual play.

#1702 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

One thing that can become a bit tiresome though is hearing about a lot of talk about the format ...

Amen to this!

#1703 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

As the newest IFPA State Rep, I think you're now legally bound to discuss WPPR's every episode

I knew it would bite me somehow.

#1704 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Might as well talk about one more think we're only mildly qualified to discuss.
Come back, Nate.

Don't go giving you guys too much credit now, Jeff.

#1705 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

As somebody who no longer plays competitive pinball, I quite enjoy hearing about competitions. One thing that can become a bit tiresome though is hearing about a lot of talk about the format and not the actual play.

It was still kind of interesting to me. How to run tournaments. What games are good for tournaments and what games to avoid. History of tournaments and even the industry. That's info I love to hear.

#1706 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

wtf is a 'secret podcast' even to start with? what kind of concept is that?

The secret thing is all in good fun... tongue in cheek. It's actually a very interesting podcast. Check it out.

#1707 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1709 7 years ago

I heard that secret podcast was actually Nate in disguise...well disguised as Clay disguised as Nate disguised as Taylor disguised as Jack.....

Just what I heard.

Also heard the guy hoards episodes like Prince hoarded songs. Some day he'll release like 100 at once....weirdo...

Quoted from ChadH:

No. I am not referring to Kaneda's podcast. I am talking about the one that is secret. It has about 78 episodes now... but no one is supposed to know about it. It is on TaylorVA's list... but it shouldn't be... because again... it is secret. I've said too much. Ignore this post.

#1710 7 years ago

Zoom in! Enhance!

#1711 7 years ago

I'm going to take a wild guess at the pixelated picture Nate, looks like Stern's logo tilted or being held up and there is probably somebody holding it up. Nate goes to Stern! What other guesses you guys got?

#1712 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferros:

I'm going to take a wild guess at the pixelated picture Nate, looks like Stern's logo tilted or being held up and there is probably somebody holding it up. Nate goes to Stern! What other guesses you guys got?

i also think he is doing something with stern

#1713 7 years ago

I think this thread shows just what an impact Nate had on the pinball community!! Quite an achievement when you take a step back an analyse. I think everyone here wants to see Nate succeed and be rewarded for all the selfless energy and effort he put into, making our lives that little bit more enjoyable.
P.S Is it weird that I refresh my Coast to Coast feed every time I go into iTunes, in the hope that there may just be a new episode?

#1714 7 years ago

I'm just glad Nate's C2C thread about "HIS" podcast finally got back to talking about him and his podcast.

#1715 7 years ago

So, I turned my monitor around... Stepped back about 20ft... And still can't make jack squat out of that image... Apparently Nate can keep a secret WAY better than Stern can!

That's it! Nate is going to work at Stern as their new Terry Tate and keep people from leaking the next game!

#1716 7 years ago

what what what what
just saying
keep flipping

#1717 7 years ago

200px-Wwos_(resized).png200px-Wwos_(resized).png

#1718 7 years ago

Maybe Nate's going to bring competitive pinball to the masses.

The "OCHO"The "OCHO"

#1719 7 years ago

Not a bad guess

Untitled-3_(resized).jpgUntitled-3_(resized).jpg

#1720 7 years ago

Damn dude. Good find! I don't think you're right, but kick ass none the less!

Jaz

#1721 7 years ago

The Thrill of Victory......and the Agony of Defeat.

#1722 7 years ago

Now I'm even more curious about what the hell is going on.

#1723 7 years ago

When all is revealed I fully expect Nate to describe just how much fun he's having watching us all bumble around and speculate.

#1724 7 years ago

We are being Shivered. So, is the Barenaked Ladies thing he talked about on Spooky a total joke? When I listened to episode 224 I assumed that he was taking a new job related to pinball in some way, but was thrown off by the BNL stuff.

#1725 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Maybe Nate's going to bring competitive pinball to the masses.

Pepper Brooks is my Favorite announcer. Nate Shivers would be my second favorite.

#1726 7 years ago

Yee Sook Ree is my favorite announcer.

betteroffdead_(resized).jpgbetteroffdead_(resized).jpg

#1727 7 years ago
Quoted from vintageclub:

Yee Sook Ree is my favorite announcer.

haha thats guy from karate kid 2 saying coward lol

#1728 7 years ago

The Jack Danger and Nate Shivers show......

#1729 7 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

The Jack Danger and Nate Shivers show......

On the Ocho?

#1730 7 years ago

This is (still) not a Nate Shivers announcement.

...22 hours since the last post. The air was getting stale in here.

#1731 7 years ago

Any word on the next video, Nate?

Looking forward to another eps of pinball with the pros

#1732 7 years ago

Whatever it is Nates doing, I hope it doesn't involve estimating things. Specifically time.

#1733 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Whatever it is Nates doing, I hope it doesn't involve estimating things. Specifically time.

Maybe there's something to that JJP employment rumor.

#1734 7 years ago

Perhaps he has gone all Luke Skywalker and is looking for the first pinball temple. Oh wait! Spoiler alert! You say that last, right?

#1735 7 years ago

He's working on the MMR color update.

#1736 7 years ago

I've been listen back through some episodes... In the 110-150 range... As I get some projects done.

Damn, Nate, you rocked it brother!

#1737 7 years ago

Episode 225 "-ish or WWOP"
-Just a quick audio note to say hello, thanks, and let you know I have started a new show called Wide World of Pinball with Steve Bowden and Josh Sharpe which you can check out NOW.
-More to Come.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-225-ish-or-wwop_79535

225_(resized).jpg225_(resized).jpg

#1738 7 years ago

Woohoo!!! So glad you're back! Call the show whatever you want, I'll be here.
Guess I have to stay up late and check this thing out now...

#1739 7 years ago

Nate Shivers, Steve Bowden and Josh Sharpe start a new podcast taking aim at competitive pinball.

-WPPR 5.3
-Super League
-One ball for it all?

www.ifpapinball.com
www.funwithbonus.com
www.coast2coastpinball.com

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/wwop-ep-1-6116_79536

wwop1_(resized).jpgwwop1_(resized).jpg

#1740 7 years ago

Oh you're killing me! You've answered a couple of questions and raised even more. I guess I have to keep waiting to get the full story. At least we've got some confirmation that we'll have Nate in a couple of formats in the future - even if it's not exactly C2C (though maybe we still will?!?!!!!). Good first WWOP show.

#1741 7 years ago

Got a C&D from ABC regarding the logo yet?

#1742 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Got a C&D from ABC regarding the logo yet?

The people that outed SkitB are all over it.

#1743 7 years ago

Awesome!!! Really glad your back Nate.

#1744 7 years ago

AHhhhhhhh SOOOO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!!

Here is a timer to help y'all deal:
http://www.tickcounter.com/countup/1464764340000/america-los_angeles/yowdhms/FFFFFF3B5998000000FF0000/Time_since_sooooo_MANY_QUESTIONS

ec40ce50ec50ca29c4cabf88e55e3ba4_(resized).jpgec40ce50ec50ca29c4cabf88e55e3ba4_(resized).jpg

#1745 7 years ago

Glad to see Nate back and with Josh & Steve. Can't wait to give it a listen.

#1746 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I listened to the WWOP launch show, it wasn't entirely what I expected. Basically, I thought it would be talking about tournaments like the one at Cactus Jacks, instead it was more of how we're going to nerf that next year, and then that, and then that too. It's not exactly WWOP, it's more of an IFPA upcoming changes broadcast. The latest Tilt Thru is more how I thought this was going to be. I'm not exactly the target audience though, since I don't participate in tourneys anymore, but from my standpoint I'd much rather listen to interviews with participants (especially not the top players) in the tourneys than how we're going to nerf this and that, it's a little like trying to listen to an NCAA rules committee meeting.

Glad your back and thanks for the doing the podcasts, just wanted to give some feedback. Thanks

#1747 7 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I listened to the WWOP launch show, it wasn't entirely what I expected. Basically, I thought it would be talking about tournaments like the one at Cactus Jacks, instead it was more of how we're going to nerf that next year, and then that, and then that too. It's not exactly WWOP, it's more of an IFPA upcoming changes broadcast. The latest Tilt Thru is more how I thought this was going to be. I'm not exactly the target audience though, since I don't participate in tourneys anymore, but from my standpoint I'd much rather listen to interviews with participants (especially not the top players) in the tourneys than how we're going to nerf this and that, it's a little like trying to listen to an NCAA rules committee meeting.
Glad your back and thanks for the doing the podcasts, just wanted to give some feedback. Thanks

Great to hear These guys have a show. Enjoyed listening to it. Nice polish!

It's always struck me as odd that one of the top players is running the rules. I get the fact that it's all volunteer...but it certainly wreaks of the old guard looking to keep the system intact. Sometimes listening to Josh dissect the rules comes across a little bit like the "us" versus "the silly them"... Such as his description of newbies buying a single ticket for a tournament event and not knowing what's going on... there have been other delineating comments made in previous podcasts.

I'm not trying to take a pot-shot at Josh. I'm sure he's a super good dude and has the best of intentions. He's sacrificing a lot of personal time to run a volunteer league that's massive. Just commenting on what I hear. Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but it certainly sends a weirdly mixed message to my ears. Perhaps a message that has a messenger that's a little too close to the action to see the bigger picture?

The whole WPPR points system, IMO, should be trashed. Travel and being present at national tournaments shouldn't play into it until there's a final tournament. Seriously, expecting people to treat playing the system as if it were a profession (necessitating sacrificing vacations to attend tournaments? Seriously?) is way to limiting. Think of the number of players that excludes.

Rankings should be done on a state level for the duration of a season. Only residents of a state should participate in state tournaments... You could even extend that to countries world-wide. And only residents should get ranked in their state. player exceptions could be made for those with special circumstances... They could petition to play exclusively in one neighboring state. At the end of the season, X number of state players should meet somewhere nationally and duke it out.

Keep it local and accessible. Everything should be done to make it as easy as possible - after all, it's only pinball

#1748 7 years ago

Pretty much everything you suggest already exists. Wpprs rule! Josh rules! Now back to the show.....

#1749 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but it certainly sends a weirdly mixed message to my ears.

I think you are. There wasn't any ill will to the people with 1 entry that didn't have any idea how the tournament worked -- they were discussion how people like that just shouldn't be figured in to the rankings. All the changes Josh and the IFPA make aren't to try to exclude people, they're to try to make the stats/rankings as real of a measure as possible.

#1750 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It's always struck me as odd that one of the top players is running the rules. I get the fact that it's all volunteer...but it certainly wreaks of the old guard looking to keep the system intact. Sometimes listening to Josh dissect the rules comes across a little bit like the "us" versus "the silly them"... Such as his description of newbies buying a single ticket for a tournament event and not knowing what's going on... there have been other delineating comments made in previous podcasts.

The comment about newbies was more about tournament organizers focusing on just 'adding newbies to the list of participants', versus really taking the time to invite the newbies into the competitive scene with a bit of hand holding. The idea behind next year's rule change is that it won't do any good for organizers to convince random people to play one game to help the value of their tournament. The motivation is that for the sport to grow, you have to actually get new players into really giving the tournament a shot. The growth of competitive pinball has never come from the top players . . . because there's not that many of them. It always grows from the interest of new people, and that won't ever change.

Quoted from 27dnast:

The whole WPPR points system, IMO, should be trashed. Travel and being present at national tournaments shouldn't play into it until there's a final tournament. Seriously, expecting people to treat playing the system as if it were a profession (necessitating sacrificing vacations to attend tournaments? Seriously?) is way to limiting. Think of the number of players that excludes.

Yeahhhhh . . . not sure I'll be able to agree with you on this one. IMO the WPPR points system has been one of the most important pieces in the growth of competitive pinball. For those that aren't interested it's incredibly simple to ignore, but to throw out the system and stop doing it would impact a ton of players that do see value in it.

Quoted from 27dnast:

Rankings should be done on a state level for the duration of a season. Only residents of a state should participate in state tournaments... You could even extend that to countries world-wide. And only residents should get ranked in their state. player exceptions could be made for those with special circumstances... They could petition to play exclusively in one neighboring state. At the end of the season, X number of state players should meet somewhere nationally and duke it out.

We created the SCS for exactly this reason. Players now have the ability to earn points throughout the year at events near them locally, and compete for the State Championship at the end of the year.

You can visit the SCS thread for reasons why we don't track residency of players, and the idea of having a residency restriction but then having verbiage saying "player exceptions could be made for those with special circumstances" would be SCS suicide (because EVERYONE has special circumstances)

Ultimately with the IFPA we've tried to create various levels of 'stuff' that motivates players at different competitive interests.

Custom Rankings --> This allows a community to create EXACTLY what they want. For example, Hilton created the Madison Wisconsin Rankings, which is solely based on tournaments within Madison, WI. We've seen many communities create their own custom rankings catering to exactly what their local player base is interested in.

SCS --> Great for players that focus on local action to be able to compete against players within the same state

WPPR --> Great for players looking to compare themselves against the best in the world

We've tried to make things as accessible as possible, especially since we added the ability for people to create custom rankings. It can literally be 'whatever they want'.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,307 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-coast-2-coast-pinball-episodes-one-thread-all-listed-here/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.