Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by madcow
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hey everyone I just wanted to share a bit of info with you all and provide a great place for you all to visit. Headquarters expanded in Chicago and currently have 15 pins. I provided them will all of their pins except for 5 new sterns that are there. I am going back this week to find all the bugs on the games I brought in and check everything out but I encourage you all to check out this cool bar. I will be bringing in more pins as time goes on and we have a goal to be the largest pin location in Chicago.

All games are free play.

Current Pins:
    Guns and Roses
    Star Wars Ep 1
    Metallica pro
    Transformers
    Corvette
    Avengers
    Twilight Zone
    Indiana Jones
    Attack From Mars
    Addams Family Gold
    Playboy Stern
    Popeye
    Tales of the Arabian Nights
    One other I can't remember right now.

#2 10 years ago

Have they cleaned that Rollergames, yet?

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Have they cleaned that Rollergames, yet?

I brought them good players games as I described the machines to them, then they walked me over to the rollergames. Man that thing is a hunk of crap. They were worried that the machines I brought them were gonna do that in a few years. I was like there is no way, I won't let that happen to machines, so I will help out and keep them going from here on out.

#4 10 years ago

Does this mystery location have an address?

Edit: Never mind. Looks like I found it:

http://hqbeercade.com/

950 W. Wolfram
    Chicago, IL 60657

773-665-5660

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Does this mystery location have an address?
    Edit: Never mind. Looks like I found it:
    http://hqbeercade.com/
    950 W. Wolfram
    Chicago, IL 60657
    773-665-5660

That is it, sorry I am at work and people either come ask me questions or I get side tracked and forget to think things through when posting sometimes.

#6 10 years ago

I also edited the thread title to make it more obvious.

#7 10 years ago

I didn't know this place existed, I will have to make it out there soon! Thanks for the update.

#8 10 years ago

I was there on Thursday for the grand opening, it was really cool except for the fact that they dont serve food, and the lack of pin etiquette, which is expected at a public location like this.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

I was there on Thursday for the grand opening, it was really cool except for the fact that they dont serve food, and the lack of pin etiquette, which is expected at a public location like this.

I don't play too often at places where I feel I have this issue. I'm just curious, what kinds of tings do you experience?

#10 10 years ago

Does that area have parking options for people from the suburbs? I hate catching a train.

#11 10 years ago

The park n ride lot at either Forest Park, River Road or Cumberland(former location of Bally Manufacturing Corporation headquarters from 1983 to 1995) offers the best options. Fastest way in, safe, reasonable parking fee. No luck if you live in a South suburb though. Maybe take the Tri-State extortionway and get to the Forest Park station.

#12 10 years ago

gary stern and gomez were there Thursday as well. Parking can be a pain and there is not a lot for people to park in. I am headed there now to take care of a few issues on the pins. I am hoping to train their staff guy how to work on them as I don't have time for the pins like this. I have a real job and this isn't it. I hope everyone enjoys the place and if you want to see a MM there tell the management. They didn't believe that they would need one being a pin destination.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The park n ride lot at either Forest Park, River Road or Cumberland(former location of Bally Manufacturing Corporation headquarters from 1983 to 1995) offers the best options. Fastest way in, safe, reasonable parking fee. No luck if you live in a South suburb though. Maybe take the Tri-State extortionway and get to the Forest Park station.

Should I take that as a "no"?

#14 10 years ago

There is some metered parking. Not sure what LAZ charges per hour over there, but I'm sure it's unreasonable like everywhere else in the city. Leasing the meters for 100 years to LAZ is probably one of the dumbest things this city has done in quite some time.

Most of the side streets are permit after 6pm in Lakeview, but if you get there before that I'd look on the side streets for a spot.

I went on Thursday and with a little patience, found a spot out front.

#15 10 years ago

The more I think about it, it really wasnt that bad except having to wait behind someone if you wanted to play, in which case some people would just start up another game knowing there was someone behind them waiting. However, there were a lot of polite people there too. I was super pumped about the American Gladiators and old WWF replays that were on the tv's.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

I was super pumped about the American Gladiators and old WWF replays that were on the tv's.

This would make the wait better for sure! Nice!

Good news is with those lines is that hopefully they will be there to stay

#17 10 years ago

5000 people went through the place between thurs and sunday. these games looked great when I dropped them off, today I couldn't believe how they looked. Its amazing what people can do to games in a week.

#18 10 years ago

Like people spilling drinks or food on them? Or did they just get that much use.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

5000 people went through the place between thurs and sunday. these games looked great when I dropped them off, today I couldn't believe how they looked. Its amazing what people can do to games in a week.

Any specifics on the damage?

Why are the games free to play?

Do you get any sort of compensation for placing your machines out in public for people to beat up?

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

Do you get any sort of compensation for placing your machines out in public for people to beat up?

I am assuming he sold the pins to them. Thus, he has no piece of the action.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bomba:

Like people spilling drinks or food on them? Or did they just get that much use.

They just got that much use. I don't know if these things will hold up honestly. The tz had brand new reinforced slot and clock switches put it before delivery, bent back already. Kinda crazy.

Quoted from guyincognito:

Any specifics on the damage?
    Why are the games free to play?

All of the machines are set to free play because of the city of Chicago. Its the way the liqueur licensing for the bar worked out.

Damage just consisted of plastics breaking, switches getting beat and games getting beat up on cab wise. I sold the machines to the establishment, I am working on a partnership for multiple locations now so that way I have ownership in the company and we can start running things with both pins and videos a bit more controlled.

#22 10 years ago

Damn, I really hope they all hold up, it is amazing to have that line up on FREE PLAY. But its gonna take a lot of work to keep them up and running, nothing worse than a beat down pinball. I'll probably visit this place every time I'm in Chicago.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

Damn, I really hope they all hold up, it is amazing to have that line up on FREE PLAY. But its gonna take a lot of work to keep them up and running, nothing worse than a beat down pinball. I'll probably visit this place every time I'm in Chicago.

I was there yesterday had almost everything up and running. Turns out today two pins down. They move them not so nicely for construction move them back and now two of the dmd cables I believe came undone. Frustrating to say the least. I never knew how much abuse on route games take, granted these are being played at a much higher rate than your average considering the free play aspect.

#24 10 years ago

With all those machines on free play, they are either going to have to have someone on staff who is capable of fixing them, or their repair bills are going to be insane.

#25 10 years ago

We swung by there early on Saturday. The venue is really awesome and I love the decor (posters, murals, everything). The pin collection is also a real nice lineup. However, the about half of the games had some serious issues.

I do hope they have someone taking care of their collection on a regular basis. There's so much potential. I just don't get how having every game on free play will be sustainable.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

We swung by there early on Saturday. The venue is really awesome and I love the decor (posters, murals, everything). The pin collection is also a real nice lineup. However, the about half of the games had some serious issues.
    I do hope they have someone taking care of their collection on a regular basis. There's so much potential. I just don't get how having every game on free play will be sustainable.

They have a young guy named bill that should be taking care of stuff but his knowledge is limited. Its crazy how these machines were all good with no credit dots and issues just start popping up. I am hoping once they stop moving the machines around a few times a day and settle them in some of these issues will subside. Trying to work out all the bugs will be difficult but I am going to be going there about once a week for the first month to get the serious problems solved and hopefully try and bullet proof these machines. One thing I am going to mention to them is that they may choose to have tournaments there and if so they need to have tournament only machines that don't get abused like this.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

With all those machines on free play, they are either going to have to have someone on staff who is capable of fixing them, or their repair bills are going to be insane.

Exactly, fifteen games with each one probably seeing hundreds of plays a day equals a great deal of maintenance. Just keeping them clean will be a daily or every other day task. I hope they have some sort of workshop area where they can shop the games out.

It is a shame that the licensing requires these games to be on free play. Without any coin drop to offset the repairs and maintenance, things will get expensive fast. Does the owner have any coin op experience at all?

#28 10 years ago

They have a young guy named bill that should be taking care of stuff but his knowledge is limited. Its crazy how these machines were all good with no credit dots and issues just start popping up. I am hoping once they stop moving the machines around a few times a day and settle them in some of these issues will subside. Trying to work out all the bugs will be difficult but I am going to be going there about once a week for the first month to get the serious problems solved and hopefully try and bullet proof these machines. One thing I am going to mention to them is that they may choose to have tournaments there and if so they need to have tournament only machines that don't get abused like this.

Even with your help they will really need someone on staff to fix the games. If that guy is Bill, then he is going to have to come up to speed fast.

#29 10 years ago

If anybody wants to go, I'll be there Friday night. Its about a 10 minute walk from my apartment.

#30 10 years ago

17 machine on free play.. wow, I can't wait to see these machines pop up on CL after they've been abused. pins can easily get 300 plays on them at an expo (which requires an entrance fee), by mostly players and collectors. Put a bunch of drunk college kids from dupage in there, spilling beer and slamming the machine day after day, those things don't have a chance of surviving. If they were smart they'd do some sort of wrist band deal that's tied to beer (but pins are free, perhaps a pitcher drink minimum) to avoid licensing while making sure alcohol gets sold. No way they are going to come out ahead no matter how much profit is embedded into the alcohol.

#31 10 years ago

They just got that much use. I don't know if these things will hold up honestly. The tz had brand new reinforced slot and clock switches put it before delivery, bent back already. Kinda crazy.

All of the machines are set to free play because of the city of Chicago. Its the way the liqueur licensing for the bar worked out.
    Damage just consisted of plastics breaking, switches getting beat and games getting beat up on cab wise. I sold the machines to the establishment, I am working on a partnership for multiple locations now so that way I have ownership in the company and we can start running things with both pins and videos a bit more controlled.

Ooof...

Considering the money they forked over for their games, it sounds like you may want to run! We're all pinball people here and we understand (to nearly the furthest extent) that once you buy a pin, you own it and it's yours to maintain. We also understand how fickle these 20 year old games can be. This is part of the reason pinball has become a very expensive hobby as opposed to a business. I'm gonna guess that these guys, as businessmen with zero coin op experience looking to capitalize on a current trend, are gonna start to get pretty frustrated with this whole thing and go the way of Emporium and just go all Stern.

Unless you signed a commitment when you sold all of these to them, I fear you may be making the mistake of setting the bar high as far what they expect you to do as the seller. I did this once ("Just give me a call if you have any problems...") and really regretted it.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Ooof...
    We also understand how fickle these 20 year old games can be. This is part of the reason pinball has become a very expensive hobby as opposed to a business. I'm gonna guess that these guys, as businessmen with zero coin op experience looking to capitalize on a current trend, are gonna start to get pretty frustrated with this whole thing and go the way of Emporium and just go all Stern.

Unfortunately, the brand new games can be pretty fickle, too. Any location with pins, new or not, getting this much play needs a tech on-site.

6 months later
    #33 10 years ago

I was just there last night and their new selection is pretty awesome. I mainly played Star Trek, Monster Bash, and Medieval Madness but they have a ton of good machines that play pretty well. Drinks are expensive though - city prices...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-chicago-pinball-location and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.