Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Edit.

This patch was found to be insufficient, and pulled.

#2 8 years ago

Cool!

#3 8 years ago

What does the normal tournament mode do?

Does this game have problems in tourneys?

I saw that PAPA was going to use this game this year.

#4 8 years ago

Wow. Super cool. I just got a BSD and was curious if there were any different ROMs for it. Any chance features like flipper hold (a la TZ home) could be added?

#5 8 years ago

Unlikely.

The approach with this one is, at ball saver may expire with the ball hanging in the pops. And the return may be serve SDTM. Not the best for competition play or arcade play for that matter. The pausing later became standard. BSD was early on.

The 500K Mystery is also to even out the game. And is already in an existing soft mod.

On top of this, it has come to my attention that there is some more glitches in BSD. So there is still work to do.

#6 8 years ago

Really cool! Did you create it yourself? (I suppose you did)

#7 8 years ago

What glitches do you plan to fix? In any case; Great work!

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from soren:

On top of this, it has come to my attention that there is some more glitches in BSD. So there is still work to do.

not really a glitch but I have thought it would be cool if Bats (left ramp) required 6 shots to start on ball 1 and then went down by 1 each ball. So on ball 2 if you already have 4 shots then 1 more will start Bats.

To me right now bats must be started on ball 1 for competitive play to have a good game. It would be nice to modify that to be more difficult to achieve in some way.

The game becomes too dependant on left ramp shots and favors flow players that can hit that over and over on the fly. As of now it is not a good competitive game in my opinion, but I do look forward to seeing/hearing how the pros attack it at PAPA.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Would be nice to fix the, tilt warning while draining prevents your bonus from actually adding to your score, bug.

Another nice feature would be:
- setting to turn off mystery all together. Right now people either have to disconnect the right inlane switch or reduce the timer on it
- set a progression on the mystery. Same for all players but gets better as you progress. Set this with a short mystery timer and it could take some of the focus away from the dominance of the left ramp shot.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

but I do look forward to seeing/hearing how the pros attack it at PAPA.

Same here. My assumption is it will look like this:

- 3 shots to the right ramp to get coffin lock ready.
- then 3 shots to left ramp to get bats started.
- if bats is not collected off the plunge, shoot the right ramp to collect a coffin lock and have it feed back to the pops.
- left ramp all day to get mist ready and to collect a castle lock or two.
- start coffin MB and then go to stack mist
- while in stacked coffin and mist use right flipper to collect ramps to try and get the 3 way stack (adding castle in) and using the left filler to collect some jackpots.

This was my strategy at TPF and got me 508 million. That left ramp was a b*&^% when I played it as it took a near perfect shot to make the full ramp. Curious to see if I had the right strategy or if the pro's have a better one.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

This was my strategy at TPF and got me 508 million. That left ramp was a b*&^% when I played it as it took a near perfect shot to make the full ramp. Curious to see if I had the right strategy or if the pro's have a better one.

I think your strategy is spot on. I am guessing they will tighten up the left ramp a bit to make it really tough.

My general strategy at TPF was Bats on ball 1 and make it count, then carry over a big bonus and dont tilt. I think I may have caught you if the game have not reset on my ball 3 and flippers went dead/no bonus/no nothing. I was on the way to a full stack.

#12 8 years ago

I'm rather intrigued as to how this patch was made. I thought code was all closed source?

#13 8 years ago

I have a BSD tourney ROM and it also eliminates the bonus kill bug which doesn't award your bonus if you get a tilt warning as you drain. If yours doesn't have that it would be worth adding.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I have a BSD tourney ROM and it also eliminates the bonus kill bug which doesn't award your bonus if you get a tilt warning as you drain. If yours doesn't have that it would be worth adding.

Funny, I seem to be the only one thinking this is a nice thing: don't get warnings before loosing the ball, so nudging is not risk free: nudging too hard when you can't save the ball is punishment (and a tilt warning with keeping the ball is extra nice), nudging way too hard (tilt) even if the ball is saved you don't have anything. So nudging 'just over the edge' should only be done when you have a good chance to save the ball by it. I think that is fun.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from sven:

Funny, I seem to be the only one thinking this is a nice thing: don't get warnings before loosing the ball, so nudging is not risk free: nudging too hard when you can't save the ball is punishment (and a tilt warning with keeping the ball is extra nice), nudging way too hard (tilt) even if the ball is saved you don't have anything. So nudging 'just over the edge' should only be done when you have a good chance to save the ball by it. I think that is fun.

I've gotta disagree with this one. I know several people are on your side though.

Just think of tournament games. Most BSD's are set up with stupid tight tilts so even the slightest nudge can give you a warning. This bug really takes away a players ability to try and make a decent save and IMHO takes some of the skill out of the game (skill from working a game). Games are meant to be moved a little otherwise they would all be set like EM's with no warnings and them going straight to a tilt.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I've gotta disagree with this one. I know several people are on your side though.
Just think of tournament games. Most BSD's are set up with stupid tight tilts so even the slightest nudge can give you a warning. This bug really takes away a players ability to try and make a decent save and IMHO takes some of the skill out of the game (skill from working a game). Games are meant to be moved a little otherwise they would all be set like EM's with no warnings and them going straight to a tilt.

agreed. a full "tilt" already looses your bonus and ends the ball.

A warning is supposed to be ... well... a warning.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

agreed. a full "tilt" already looses your bonus and ends the ball.
A warning is supposed to be ... well... a warning.

It's like getting a "warning" for speeding and you still have to pay the fine or go to court.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Release note
Revision L-2C (revision L-1 patch)
The ball saver is paused on pop bumper action.
The Mystery awards a fixed 500K points.
Adjustment A.1 26, Tournament play, defaults to Yes.
Adjustment A.1 28, Min vol. override, defaults to Yes.
Comment
The ball saver adjustment is unchanged. Range Off - 15 sec with 2 sec default.
Patch available here
http://tinyurl.com/j8nrn72

People love to moan about the bugginess and unbalanced modes of Dracula (beyond what you fix here).

Have you looked at or would you be interested in going further than this?

#19 8 years ago

accident

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

As of now it is not a good competitive game in my opinion, but I do look forward to seeing/hearing how the pros attack it at PAPA.

It's been used previously. Here's a great video on how they attack it:

http://pinballvideos.com/?v=531

#21 8 years ago

I like what I'm hearing! Agreed: the tilt warning vs bonus bug needs to be fixed as well. Hope you can find the time and patience for it.

Keep up the good work! Good software is what makes a game.

#22 8 years ago

The biggest bug I'd like to see fixed is the following scenario that I come across a lot.

I'm playing and hit enough right orbit/loop shots to be 1 shot away from video mode.
I start mist multiball.
As I shoot for the mist ball, I miss and end up shooting the right orbit/loop and start video mode while mist ball is still floating.

3 things can happen now.

1. You can hope to get killed by the dogs and shake the mist ball off the magnet to get mist multi started.

2. Ignore mist and just play the video mode.

3. Get confused about what is happening and lose both.

Also, if you add anything that needs dots, I'd love to help.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

The biggest bug I'd like to see fixed is the following scenario that I come across a lot.
I'm playing and hit enough right orbit/loop shots to be 1 shot away from video mode.
I start mist multiball.
As I shoot for the mist ball, I miss and end up shooting the right orbit/loop and start video mode while mist ball is still floating.
3 things can happen now.
1. You can hope to get killed by the dogs and shake the mist ball off the magnet to get mist multi started.
2. Ignore mist and just play the video mode.
3. Get confused about what is happening and lose both.
Also, if you add anything that needs dots, I'd love to help.

I'm not so sure that'd qualify as a bug. It's weird, but not necessarily wrong. What's bad is if you hit the mist ball and carom it into the video hole, then you have a loose mist ball with no flippers. But should video mode just cancel after starting? It's kinda weird.

Maybe put the drop target up when the mist motor starts?

#24 8 years ago

Popping the drop target seems like the easiest fix

#25 8 years ago

The most important improvement (IMO) would be if the video-mode wouldn't be the same all the time, but in random order. Easy, medium, hard: it's always the same order. Not sure if random can be programmed? (I'm sure it can, but not sure it can be changed in the existing rom).

Same with DrWho: why wouldn't they have programmed it randomly? That shouldn't be that hard to do when they did it back in the day?

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from sven:

The most important improvement (IMO) would be if the video-mode wouldn't be the same all the time, but in random order. Easy, medium, hard: it's always the same order. Not sure if random can be programmed? (I'm sure it can, but not sure it can be changed in the existing rom).
Same with DrWho: why wouldn't they have programmed it randomly? That shouldn't be that hard to do when they did it back in the day?

not for tournament play to have it randomly.

Also what about a video mode on / off setting?

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I'm not so sure that'd qualify as a bug. It's weird, but not necessarily wrong. What's bad is if you hit the mist ball and carom it into the video hole, then you have a loose mist ball with no flippers. But should video mode just cancel after starting? It's kinda weird.
Maybe put the drop target up when the mist motor starts?

Any game with a video mode or make a choice or upper/lower level that kills the flippers needs to have some kind of ball saver and or run both in a multi ball. Later games do have that.

#28 8 years ago

Seems like this game has a lot more to it. I actually knew about the Video mode stealing away Mist.

Back to the workbench.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

not for tournament play to have it randomly.

Why not? If i can have it in settings that there are i.e. 4 wolves in a wave, and they appear randomly left or right, that's not an issue for tournament play, is it? It's 'new' for every player that plays the videogame, it's not like one has an easy one and the other a harder one.

#30 8 years ago

About the videomode when starting mist: I think that's frustrating, but I do think it's my own fault if I miss the ball the first time. Having said that, pop the drop in an up-position is a nice way to give the player a second chance. If you really want to make it easier, you can also disable the pop-bumpers while the ball is 'floating' over the playfield. Not sure I'd like that though.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Release note
Revision L-2C (revision L-1 patch)
The ball saver is paused on pop bumper action.
The Mystery awards a fixed 500K points.
Adjustment A.1 26, Tournament play, defaults to Yes.
Adjustment A.1 28, Min vol. override, defaults to Yes.
Comment
The ball saver adjustment is unchanged. Range Off - 15 sec with 2 sec default.
Patch available here
http://tinyurl.com/j8nrn72

Soren, I'm excited that you're working on finetuning Drac's software!

A question: is the mystery-award always 500.000 on your revision? Or just in tournament mode?

#32 8 years ago

When the ball is in the mystery hole and you get the mist ball, there is a bug that the ball comes back to the left flipper too fast, before the screen says it is starting.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from sven:

Why not? If i can have it in settings that there are i.e. 4 wolves in a wave, and they appear randomly left or right, that's not an issue for tournament play, is it? It's 'new' for every player that plays the videogame, it's not like one has an easy one and the other a harder one.

ok as long as one does not get easy one and the other a harder one

#34 8 years ago

If you collect consolation mist. You cant reenter mist on ball 3. Sux

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

As I shoot for the mist ball, I miss and end up shooting the right orbit/loop and start video mode while mist ball is still floating

This is true. I think a few times I've gotten a MB mode going with a following werewolf video mode, only to later get a one ball drain to cancel the whole turn entirely.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

ok as long as one does not get easy one and the other a harder one

Ah, I wasn't clear in my first post: I indeed meant left and right randomly (not easy or hard).

3 weeks later
#37 7 years ago

What does one need to implement this new ROM?

3 months later
#39 7 years ago

@Soren ... did you make any investigations into or make any further progress with fixing the additional issues highlighted in this thread?

#40 7 years ago

The short answer is, that no further work has been carried out on this particular mod.

Thanks for the interest.

#41 7 years ago

I would love to see the additional fixes if you find the time!

7 months later
#42 7 years ago

Did you ever get the chance to come back to this?

Also, you should put up a simple site like ChadH has done, and a donation link - I'm sure people would like to thank you for your work.

#43 7 years ago

If this does get revisited, I think this is pertinent, particularly for tournaments. Nasty bug:

Getting GC means you don't get rats and bats bonus on the final ball.

Thought it was just me, but the attached post corroborates it. In fact, I think it may not just be on the final ball, but ball 3 full stop (even if you have EBs waiting). Can't be sure on the latter detail until it happens again though.

#44 7 years ago

Another thing:

If ball save is on non-default setting, if it's activated whilst it's ending (i.e. at the end of the time limit), it will play the ball save animation and call out, and then immediately the bonus / score screen and move on to the next game.

Beginning to understand why BSD has the reputation it does for bugs.

Possibility this is general rather than non-default. But not seen it on default - possibly because it's so short it's unlikely to get hit anyway.

#45 7 years ago

Thanks for bringing these issues to attention.

BSD turned out to be a can of worms. So much more issues with the game than I knew about.

The ROM I posted initially was the mystery fixed and the halted ball saver in pops. I overlooked the tilt warning no bonus issue and pulled the ROM as I considered it insufficient to the ROM fix already released. Since then, a little handful of bugs have surfaced.

No progress on fixes I am affraid. Cheers.

#46 7 years ago

Thanks for the update.

I thought it worth posting any other issues here. Things do occasionally get posted in the owner thread, but get buried. Easier to keep track of here.

Useful if you or others come back to the game to fix it.

#47 7 years ago

Defintely! Pile it all here. The greater the chance that everything will be covered in future attempts.

#48 7 years ago

The link is broken. Can you please repost?

#49 7 years ago

It has been pulled. Sorry for misleading information.

#50 7 years ago

In the meantime, what is the best current patched ROM?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-bram-stokers-dracula-custom-competition-rom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.