• 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Linolium
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Papa.Bao.Dragon.Tee2.jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I'm a huge Bowen Kerins fan and always learn a lot from the tutorials.

Looks like there's will be a Terminator 2 tutorial to kick off the new year with.

But anyway, I just wanted to share if you haven't seen this.

http://papa.org/ai1ec_event/terminator-2-tutorial/?instance_id=1579

-Josh

#2 10 years ago

Just in time - anyone who can't live without one now - I've got a nice one for sale:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-terminator-2-3

Scott

#3 10 years ago

I watch all his tutorials. He is just so relaxed and funny with his comments that he is just very fun to watch.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from jayvo86:

I'm a huge Bowen Kerins fan and always learn a lot from the tutorials.
Looks like there's will be a Terminator 2 tutorial to kick off the new year with.
But anyway, I just wanted to share if you haven't seen this.
http://papa.org/ai1ec_event/terminator-2-tutorial/?instance_id=1579
-Josh

My grail pin, I can't wait for this, thanks for the heads up op.

#5 10 years ago

Oh crap, I'd better fly to Pittsburgh, quick!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Oh crap, I'd better fly to Pittsburgh, quick!

Get to the choppa!

#7 10 years ago

A tutorial on a game banned from PAPA tournaments. Should be interesting

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

A tutorial on a game banned from PAPA tournaments. Should be interesting

Why did they ban it from PAPA?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

forward to 5:55

http://vimeo.com/46859082

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Due to software bugs.

From Papa.org game notes:

Tournament Issues: Terminator 2 software contains bugs that can potentially be devastating to a competitive game. Known bugs include: 255 drop target hits to multiball, and a multiball bug that may occur when a ball is locked with zero seconds left on the timer causing a string of odd behavior from the game.

Setup Notes: Directors are encouraged to leave the center post in Terminator 2. Difficulty should be adjusted by widening outlanes and adjusting sling sensitivity.

Lock Stealing: No
Preferred Software Revision:
Reasonable Competition Game: No – Software Bugs

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

No idea but we knew it would be back though eh.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

» Vimeo video

Ah ya I remember seeing that. I guess they can use Xmen LE more with that awesome iceman ramp.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Ah ya I remember seeing that. I guess they can use Xmen LE more with that awesome iceman ramp.

Works for me since nobody else knows how to play it

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Works for me since nobody else knows how to play it

Obviously after watching Expo. Lol

#15 10 years ago

Xmen LE? Don't you just start the Iceman mode then shoot the ramp at the precise time to dump the ball down the middle?

(I think the Xmen game at PAPA is a Pro, not an LE, but am not certain.)

#16 10 years ago

I (like most) can sum this machine up very quickly: Get MB, hold balls, superjackpot/skull/superjackpot until out of MB. Trying to time payback time with MB is good for some decent points as well, but one 2 min game with one super can usually beat most other long games with no supers.

It would have been nicer if it started at 10m and grew. Despite this, I loved both I owned, but the second left when ACDC moved in, just too many PF similarities to have together.

Post edited by Atomicboy : EDIT - removed term for repeated supers, as per Bowen's request.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I (like most) can sum this machine up very quickly: Get MB, hold balls, exploit superjackpot. Trying to time payback time with MB is good for some decent points as well, but one 2 min game with one super can usually beat most other long games with no supers.
It would have been nicer if it started at 10m and grew. Despite this, I loved both I owned, but the second left when ACDC moved in, just too many PF similarities to have together.

Yeah when I watched the ACDC video, that Bowen did, my first thoughts were this is a new version of T2, I am even thinking that a Luci would be my NIB T2 experience replacement that I dream about finding one day, er if you know what I mean.

Post edited by lol_implied : removed "repeatable" substitute word as in above post

#18 10 years ago

Alright, game completed! Tutorial ready to post.

http://papa.org/2014/01/01/terminator-2-tutorial/

As a suggestion to posters, please use the word "exploit" when describing a repeatable game feature, or perhaps some other word that is not also used to describe a heinous crime.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Alright, game completed! Tutorial ready to post.
http://papa.org/2014/01/01/terminator-2-tutorial/
As a suggestion to posters, please use the word "exploit" when describing a repeatable game feature, or perhaps some other word that is not also used to describe a heinous crime.

Nice, thanks Bowen.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Yes please.

#21 10 years ago

I love Bowens videos!

When i watch this video though it is very grainy. Is it just and my ipad? Are others seeing it in normal high quality video?

#22 10 years ago

Looks good on my screen, no grain.

#23 10 years ago

"Use the force" skill shot at 8:15?

#24 10 years ago

So where is the tutorial video?

#25 10 years ago

awesome vid bowen. Switched to PC and didn't have the video quality issues. go figure

#26 10 years ago

http://papa.org/2014/01/01/terminator-2-tutorial has the full video.

I don't know what happened with that skill shot where the lights went out at 8:15. I think I tried to talk about going for other things to redirect people's attentions away from the fact that the lights were out... then hit the plunge anyway. With my success rate on the other skill shots, I might have been better off that way.

#27 10 years ago

great tutorial. thanks and keep them coming.

#28 10 years ago

Thanks for the post. Such a good game to play and learn the skills on

#29 10 years ago

Bowen I have to say that your tutorials are what really got me into pinball... there's nothing like watching you play through a game masterfully while giving great insights and always providing a good laugh.

#30 10 years ago

Nice vid. Only thing is the mic is way too hot. I hope a bunch of these weren't already recorded in a marathon before it was discovered...

#31 10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, and the tutorials will continue getting cranked out. I'll forward the comment about the audio balance, any recommendations?

#32 10 years ago

Edited.

#33 10 years ago

Are you doing one on Metallica once the code is updated?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Thanks for the kind words, and the tutorials will continue getting cranked out.

Hey Bowen, thanks so much for doing the tutorials! I recently went through a semi spree and watched all of your tutorials over a couple days. Really makes me approach a game from a different perspective after I have seen one of your videos.

Maybe do a Stargate one at some point? I personally would love to see that.

#35 10 years ago

Ew, Stargate! Just kidding... a Stargate tutorial is unlikely, though, simply because it's rarely seen on location or in tournaments.

There will definitely be a Metallica tutorial in the future. Timing's subject to a lot of factors, including my availability in Pittsburgh... I don't live there.

#36 10 years ago

Bowen, sorry for the thread jack but what are your thoughts on Super Bands in terms of play? Just wondering if these are considered cheating by a pro. Sure feels like a major boost in control for myself personally. Any thoughts on these for Papa use or for yourself personally?

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Any thoughts on these for Papa use or for yourself personally?

I'm interested in Bowen's thoughts on Super-Bands too, but according to Mark from PAPA, Super-Bands have already been used in their tournaments:

Mark Steinman, PAPA, Director of Operations: "JCS Pinball's Super-Bands were chosen to be used in multiple games in each division of the 2013 PAPA World Championships. PAPA does not, and will not, endorse a one-size-fits-all approach to flipper rubber because we believe different types of game designs require different types of rubber to bring out the most in high-level tournament players. However, the Super-Bands were field-proven through extensive testing, giving us the confidence to use them, along with traditional rubbers, during this high-profile event. For casual play, PAPA will be transitioning all of its route games and practice banks to Super-Bands for the obvious benefits."

Source: http://jcspinball.com/Pinball-Super-Bands.html

#38 10 years ago

Great video Bowen, thanks! I love all the new ones that you have been doing.

See you soon at league!

#39 10 years ago

Great stuff as always! I was really looking forward to this one as T2 was a pin I was thinking of getting next, you have definitely helped push me toward it even more.

#40 10 years ago

Very nice video, thank you. Sure is harder then you make it look. Thanks for the tips. T2 has been in my collection the longest.

#42 10 years ago

Great Video!

Love watching your tutorials Bowen, Your relaxed nature and humor make them all a pleasure to watch.

Would love to see Tron, Roadshow and Champion Pub tutorials in the future. Just putting it out there.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Ew, Stargate! Just kidding... a Stargate tutorial is unlikely, though, simply because it's rarely seen on location or in tournaments.
There will definitely be a Metallica tutorial in the future. Timing's subject to a lot of factors, including my availability in Pittsburgh... I don't live there.

Regardless of the game, listening to your thought process and strategy and watching your technique is what keeps me coming back.

Competition games are great, but I'd still watch you play any game.

I've even watched the Dragon video twice.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Thanks for the kind words, and the tutorials will continue getting cranked out. I'll forward the comment about the audio balance, any recommendations?

When you record, get a sound level meter on each input and make sure the mic doesn't spend too much time maxed out. Most of the PAPA videos sound great, so it may have been a step they usually do but was forgotten this time.

One thing I'd like to see is how PAPA gets those spinners so fast (like the "juiced" spinners in High Speed). I've tried lubing and adjusting my spinners and I got improvement but nothing like what I see in the videos from PAPA. It may be a video more for the pin doctors at PAPA than you but, hey, while you're passing things along...

As for gameplay tutorials, I've been enjoying the ones for older games (alphanumeric and numeric solid state) like Alien Poker. Those machines have a lot going on that you don't know about because they don't tell you so much on the display.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Another awesome video Bowen! I have never seen anyone use MB to work on the left awards either, very cool! I think tjsynkral is correct. The audio sounds distorted. I also noticed that Marks voice is always hard panned to the left or right in his gameplay vids. Not sure if thats intentional or not but, it seems not maybe. Really looking forward to the INDSC coverage!

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

One thing I'd like to see is how PAPA gets those spinners so fast (like the "juiced" spinners in High Speed).

3m synthetic lube. There is the gel type, which I use on moving parts when needed, and the liquid kind, which I use mostly on spinners. My spinners go for so long on some games that you can see the software getting confused where locks are involved.

I have actually had to tone it down on some. One spinner shot on TOM at one time would registered three spirit cards when in that mode before stopping, so there can be a too "spinny" element to it for sure.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

3m synthetic lube. There is the gel type, which I use on moving parts when needed, and the liquid kind, which I use mostly on spinners. My spinners go for so long on some games that you can see the software getting confused where locks are involved.
I have actually had to tone it down on some. One spinner shot on TOM at one time would registered three spirit cards when in that mode before stopping, so there can be a too "spinny" element to it for sure.

What does the 3m bottle looks like?

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Not to hijack the thread but that is a GREAT tip.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from JackSlater:

What does the 3m bottle looks like?

Actually I'd be more interested in a link to buy it, I doubt it's something I'd see on the shelf at a store.

#50 10 years ago

For those that have watched the tutorial, why the the ball creeping up the right flipper like that? It's holding nicely on the left, but creeps on the right.

Play field level? Some technical?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-bowen-kerins-tutorial-terminator-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.