Top 10 New Pinball Designers Are Here

By jeffspinballpalace

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

With almost every pinball designer since 2000 back in the game, there is a lot of talent deployed. So much so that it is easy to overlook the fact that new designers have been joining the ranks and making major inroads. Since 2013, in just the past five years, new people have been hired for sound, mechanical, a/v, graphics, coding and pinball design - and they bring a lot of ideas and technical solutions with. The new pinball designers are self taught by necessity and know what it takes, because none have had previous experience nor did they undergo training from the older generation of mentors. So who makes this list?

2014 Ben Heck AMH Spooky Pinball
2015 Dave Sanders Full Throttle Heighway Pinball
2016 Charlie Emery RZ Spooky Pinball
2016 Barry Driessen TBL Dutch Pinball
2017 Dave Sanders Alien Heighway Pinball
2017 Antonio Nicolas Captain Nemo Quetzal Pinball
2017 Gerry Stellenberg Lexy & Lagoon P3 Multimorphic
2017 Scott Gullicks WOOLY Riot Pinball
2018 Scott Danesi TNA Spooky Pinball
--------------------------- Coming Soon ------------
2018 Keith Elwin Iron Maiden Stern
2018 Charlie Emery ACNC Spooky Pinball
2018 Eric Meunier POTC JJP

Lots of great pins have been created by this new generation... ... pinball has been altered for the better.

#2 6 years ago

Keith Elwin deserves to be on this list too.... but I think you meant him instead of Bowen.

Bowen is doing code for Spooky on ACNC not designing... right?

#3 6 years ago

I think Bowen is doing or assisting with rules.

#4 6 years ago

Yeah, KME=Maiden

#5 6 years ago

Whatever happened to that pinball 3000 dude with the cardboard box?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Whatever happened to that pinball 3000 dude with the cardboard box?

My work did a quote for him to make his games.......not sure what ever happened to it, I'll have to look into it.

John

#7 6 years ago

I’ve often thought it’s amazing how the old guard at Williams has continued to dominate the industry.

#8 6 years ago

Paul K. -- Circus Maximus -- Kingpin; I know the project is in its infancy but it looks like they are giving it a go.

#9 6 years ago

Ben, Scott, Eric, and Keith all nailed it on their first shot. Big question? Can they do it again? Really going to be interesting to see what Eric and Keith do next for their sophomore titles.

Can't wait to see what eddy does at stern also

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I’ve often thought it’s amazing how the old guard at Williams has continued to dominate the industry.

Amazing and probably unique to pinball. All of those guys (and I mean ALL) should be moved onto to mentor rolls, supervisory. Not doing the bulk of the work with no heir apparent under them. I'm glad for Elwin starting at Stern, but that's all we've got for new blood? All the other teams are WMS straight up.

Gomez transitioned to a roll fitting someone of his expertise. More of that should have happened. Same with the coders.

#11 6 years ago

I have a feeling a lot of the old guard will be completely gone within the next 5-10 years. I don't envision any Harry Williams types working at 80. It's exciting! Pinball needs new blood and new ideas. I'm really looking forward to Keith Elwin's career. He has so much potential and nobody knows how a game should play better than the greatest pinball player who ever lived. I also hope TNA isn't a one and done for Scott Danesi. TNA would NEVER have been designed by a "pro" designer. It's just too different. This retro thing could have legs. I personally would like to see more retro styled games. It's a great time for pinball and I have to hand it to Stern, Spooky, and JJP for developing new talent.

#12 6 years ago

Houdini is destined by Joe Balcer. Not new blood.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Keith Elwin deserves to be on this list too.... but I think you meant him instead of Bowen.
Bowen is doing code for Spooky on ACNC not designing... right?

Thanks, correction noted.

Quoted from TractorDoc:

Paul K. -- Circus Maximus -- Kingpin; I know the project is in its infancy but it looks like they are giving it a go.

Too early to call this one, design is ongoing and significant coding still required, the pin needs to be complete to make the cut. Kingpin would miss the list because Mark Ritchie is not considered a new designer.

Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Houdini is destined by Joe Balcer. Not new blood.

Thanks, correction noted. Houdini pulled from the list because it was designed by Balcer.

Consideration was given to listing Predator, but since project was a sham and never licensed, it was more of a one-off, not ready for production and disqualified.

#14 6 years ago

This group of men forms a natural top 10 of new pinball designers (because there are ten). More importantly, they have created 13 games between them to date. They have made an impression. First from the games themselves, but also important are the techniques and technologies the designers carried with them. I've played 6 pins from this group of renegades, less than half. How many have you NEVER played?

AMH
Full Throttle
RZ
TBL
Alien
Captain Nemo
Lexy Lightspeed
Cannon Lagoon
WOOLY
TNA
Iron Maiden
ACNC
POTC JJP

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
$ 300.00
9,799 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-blood-pinball-designers-are-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.