• 77 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

One_Fedora.jpg
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I was really into finding new bands back when record stores still existed.
Seems harder to find worthwhile music these days even though it's all out there to stream.

Really enjoy "The Generationals" and "Cayucas". Kind of retro 60's garage pop sounding bands.

What do you guys think - any new groups making quality music these days?

#2 8 years ago

Been around for awhile...but they are still making new music and are a relatively young band.

My Morning Jacket

Latest album is amazing and they are best working live rock band in the world IMHO.

#3 8 years ago

"These Days" is a tough one to nail down but I would suggest The Lilys for that sound if you don't already know them.
The Apples In Stereo maybe? The Brian Jonestown Masacre? Into those at all? The Wedding Present is good sometimes.
I really don't know the bands you listed. Just the 60's garage throwbacks that come to mind.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Carrman:

"These Days" is a tough one to nail down but I would suggest The Lilys for that sound if you don't already know them.
The Apples In Stereo maybe? The Brian Jonestown Masacre? Into those at all? The Wedding Present is good sometimes.
I really don't know the bands you listed. Just the 60's garage throwbacks that come to mind.

Love Apples in Stereo and BJM, My Morning Jacked i've heard some I like. Haven't heard the Lily's yet, i will check them out.

Lately, it just seems like all the actual BANDS have disappeared. I know there's no money in the industry anymore,
but it's really kind of sad. I want to buy a band's album, love every song, and then go see them live and rock out.

#5 8 years ago

I prefer newer alt rock music over just about anything else these days. Last night I watched a tape of a recent Cage The Elephant show at the Art Foundry in Santa Barbara and it was awesome and very inspiring.

http://artistsden.com/cagetheelephant

#6 8 years ago

They're not new but I'm still loving children of bodoms new cd.

Monster truck is a fun newer band, catchy sound.

#8 8 years ago

War On Drugs (band), Lost In The Dream (record). Trust me on this.

I've also been liking Drive By Truckers lately, though they've been around for years and aren't exactly new.

Install the Songza app and search for play lists like "new indie music: fall 2015" and the like.

#9 8 years ago

Publicist UK.

#10 8 years ago

Far from new but it hard to beat Muse over the last 10 years, tons of talent and really artistic. Like a new age cross of pink Floyd and Queen.

Chris Cornell's new album is killer if you haven't heard it yet.

#11 8 years ago

Anal Cunt.

Haha. Y'all ain't got no downvotes.

#12 8 years ago

I've been enjoying Alt-J and Grouplove a lot. Jukebox the Ghost is pretty damn awesome and I have a few Death Cab For Cutie songs that I adore as well. Finally I have one Fitz and the Tantrums song that I love--want to check more of their stuff out.

#13 8 years ago

Margot and the Nuclear So and So's.
I consider 2005 new. Who else would write "Arvydus Sabonis" ?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

I've been enjoying Alt-J and Grouplove a lot. Jukebox the Ghost is pretty damn awesome and I have a few Death Cab For Cutie songs that I adore as well. Finally I have one Fitz and the Tantrums song that I love--want to check more of their stuff out.

Ben Gibbards of Death Cab for Cutie's voice gets on my nerves quickly, but their "Transatlanticism" album is very good. I saw Fitz and the Tantrums last year at Lou Fest in St. Louis. A little too pop for my tastes, but they have some good songs and do put on a decent show.

Spoon has been around for a while now so aren't that new, but haven't quite hit it yet. One of my favorite bands.

Florence + The Machine I'd like to see in concert. Also, I'm a big Arcade Fire fan. I was disappointed in "Relecktor" but "The Suburbs" was a great album.

#15 8 years ago

Try Houndmouth ... pretty good shit..

#16 8 years ago

This my boy 12-year old singing lead with his band mates this summer at School of Rock. The song is titled "Phoenix Rising". He is not there yet, but he could have a band one day, IMHO.

#18 8 years ago

John Butler Trio
Band of Horses
Slightly Stoopid

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

» YouTube video
This my boy 12-year old singing lead with his band mates this summer at School of Rock. The song is titled "Phoenix Rising". He is not there yet, but he could have a band one day, IMHO.

Those kids sound freakin amazing for their age. Great job Dad.

#20 8 years ago

Father John Misty is probably my favorite performer of the past few years. Amazing lyrics and a great band to see live. They were just on Kimmel a couple weeks ago.

#22 8 years ago

I don't really know any, the new Rock sounds washed, the HipHop is garbage, the new Metal kinda sucks and country has been shit for a long time, probably the worst time for real music in human history and while ofcourse there are good bands out there and good music being made something has been lost for sure, a shame. JMO

#23 8 years ago

define "new". like only 1 album out, band together for less than 5 years...

#24 8 years ago

Heffron Drive

#25 8 years ago

Reignwolf

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from joelreeves:

I was really into finding new bands back when record stores still existed.
Seems harder to find worthwhile music these days even though it's all out there to stream.
Really enjoy "The Generationals" and "Cayucas". Kind of retro 60's garage pop sounding bands.
What do you guys think - any new groups making quality music these days?

If you like yr 60s sounding stuff then Allah-Las will be right up yr street

The Growlers have some great tunes too

#27 8 years ago

there is a website called "the sixty-one".. if you want new look there. they haven't "made it" just yet but some pretty cool stuff comes thru from time to time.

#28 8 years ago

Check out Seattle's KEXP radio for TONS of new music from every conceivable genre. I've discovered an incredible number of awesome bands via their brilliant youtube channel. Subsequently, I often end up buying the music I hear on KEXP directly from the musicians through their bandcamp.com sites. Paying for music... who would have thought?

KEXP's youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/kexpradio

Bands totally worth checking out:
Lake Street Dive (jazzy soul with an unvelieveable singer)
Julia Massey and the Five Finger Discount (cosmic folk)
Tango Alpha Tango (electric blues)
Wye Oak (new wave)
Phantogram (guitar-based electronica)
CocoRosie (if you like waaay out there kinda stuff)
Pokey Lafarge (americana)
Warpaint (psych)
Sharon Van Etten (folk)
Chastity Belt (grungy punk)
Pony Time (grungy punk)
Au Revoir Simone (sweet-sounding mellow electronic)
Courtney Barnett (garage)
Wyvern Lingo (Irish folk pop with a hint of electronic)

Another excellent youtube channel with more of a focus on bluegrass/americana is Liveandbreathing. See here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveandBreathing

And another channel is The Line of Best Fit. It's a UK-based channel offering up a silly amount of great stuff that often hasn't really hit North America yet:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TLOBFSESSIONS

Youtube became the new MTV for me several years ago. SO MUCH great stuff just waiting to be discovered. If you're a music fan, the above will keep you busy for a long time.

And if you're still reading this post, I can't stress enough how much this music has completely changed my life. I was stuck in the 60's/70's for a couple of decades and didn't believe that new music could ever have the same kind of reach and depth as the stuff I loved in high school. Yes, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are amazing bands, but discovering exceptionally talented new indie bands with a different perspective on music writing and creation has opened up a whole new world for me. It's been like going outside on a bright clear day after bring sick and stuck at home for a week.

#29 8 years ago

Volbeat and Ghost!

#30 8 years ago

Nirvana

#31 8 years ago

I second the War on Drugs... gotta give their music a listen a few times before it catches...but they're awesome!

#32 8 years ago

Really enjoyed "Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band" live at the Tractor Tavern in Seattle a couple months ago.

#33 8 years ago

Volbeat - Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood (Johnny Cash meets Metallica)
Fischer-Z - Going Deaf For A Living Not new, but new to me. This band should have gotten more airplay.
The Vaccines - English Graffiti (Power Pop)
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi-Love (Prog Pop, jazzy smooth but not definitely not jazz, think Sade that won't put you to sleep)
Desaparecidos - Payola (Power Pop)
FFS - (Franz Ferdinand & Sparks)
Jack and Eliza - Gentle Warnings (think Mommas and Poppas)

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Try Houndmouth ... pretty good shit..

One of my newer favs. I'm also really enjoying Nathaniel Rateliff. Not new, but Dr. Dog is a great band that has been around for a long time and has put out a bunch of great music. Alabama Shakes had a great 1st album but not feeling their latest.

#35 8 years ago

I've become a big fan of A Silent Film;

http://www.asilentfilm.com/

Discovered them through Alt Nation on XM Radio, and have bought all three (four including the EP) of their albums. Piano-based rock with great lyrics and vocals.

This is their new one;

Saw them in a small venue in Detroit last week (70~80 people) and they were fantastic live!

Later,
EV

#36 8 years ago

Tame impala, war on drugs, father john misty, the generationals. I dont have as much time to sort through music like i did before kids so spotify, xmu, and pitchfork do the work for me.

#37 8 years ago

You like garage rock? so heres a few

Nobunny
Colleen Green
Shannon and the clams (really try this one)
Davila 666 (south american garage psych)
The Oh Sees (heavy garage psych)
Titus Andronicus (new album is amazing)

#42 8 years ago

Digging some ska stuff recently, mainly Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish.

#44 8 years ago

Wild Throne

Mutoid Man

#45 8 years ago

I really dig Royal Blood.

#46 8 years ago

Turbonegro - "I Got a Knife"

#47 8 years ago

I listen to all kinds of music. Always have. Best new band I have heard in the last 5-10 years is definitely Lake Street Dive. I've seen them live a couple times and the level of talent in that band is scary. As a guy who very much likes chicks, lead singer Rachel Price is absolutely stunning.

This is what they are capable of live:

Every year on Halloween, Lake Street Dive records a cover song live to video dressed like a band they admire. This year they really outdid themselves!

Another newer band I am listening to a lot is Melody's Echo Chamber. Kind of spacey, stony sounding stuff with a hot French lead singer.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I dont have as much time to sort through music like i did before kids so spotify, xmu, and pitchfork do the work for me.

Second that. At 45 I'm not looking to my friends to find new indie rock for me. Sirius XMU has a great playlist that's always turning me on to new stuff. PLENTY of music blogs to check out as well, they can do all the heavy lifting for you

#49 8 years ago

Silversun Pickups makes my top 10 list of recent bands.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I really dig Royal Blood.
» YouTube video

I have seen them a couple of times now.... I was singing their praises last year when I got a hold of their EP..... They are GREAT!

They also have one of the best new videos out there.....

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-bands-worth-listening-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.