Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170410_081615 (resized).jpg
    20170221_225635 (resized).jpg
    20170116_202757 (resized).jpg
    20170116_200551 (resized).jpg
    20170116_200528 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

You have any good source for the 6802s?

funkward-tech on eBay is what a lot of pinball people seem to use for old chips (6821 PIAs, old cpus, etc). If you're buying in bulk you'll get the best prices from any of those sellers, you usually have to contact them directly.

Aliexpress is another source.. looks like about $1.50ea if buying 10x or more there. Of course the usual should be assumed -- remarked recycled chips and possibility of counterfeit from any eBay/Aliexpress/HK/China sellers. In reality though, enough of the time nowadays it's the same thing you're buying from pinball distributors or people selling the chips.. they're just doing the importing for you and making a few bucks for their efforts.

Here's a 6802 from Aliexpress that's "Best Quality" so you know it's good All joking aside, typically it's best to look for anything with reviews there and just buy what got good reviews.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-10pcs-lot-MC6802P-MC6802-Microprocessor-With-Clock-and-Oprtional-RAM-DIP40-Best-quality/32679140333.html

#41 7 years ago

Why not just sell them without the eproms or work the deal with Rick and add it into the costs / final price? Even if licensing amounted to $5-10 per set of chips, it's not much in the grand scheme of things when material costs are probably $25-35 for this or the Alltek MPU and the market bears a $200 price-point. To be fair, that includes ability to make distributor deals at 40-50% off retail... allows for PCB assembly options or makes it worthwhile to hand-assemble a large number of components. But the point is, it's something that can sell in volume, so the licensing costs become insignificant. What you're trying to skirt around with the eproms sounds like it's just going to set you up for future headaches. IMHO let the buyer decide if they want to buy licensed roms from you or someone else, or burn their own. Simple as that.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Ace,
    That is probably a good idea. I had an issue where Rick rubbed me the wrong way, but i guess i can try and get over it and work with him.
    I can keep the same price point and if the customer needs ROMs, they will pay the licensing fee.

Sometimes the high road is the easier traveled one. Could work out better in the long-run and open more doors instead of creating more road blocks. Regardless, seems enough people want to help you find a way around. Hey do what you see fit If it was me I'd not be opposed to the idea of just offering licensed ROMs at an additional [optional] cost.

Quoted from barakandl:

I am thinking $30, but it could change up or down. Part cost should be less than $50 (much less if you a smart shopper. A skilled person at soldering should take about 2.5 hours to assemble. Maybe more if you are not familiar with the bally board component layout.

That's a good bare board price, half of what the Two-Bit one sells for. I built half a dozen of the Two-Bit ones 5yrs ago and figured I was about $45-50 in materials per board. I'd sourced some parts from eBay, PIAs from Jameco, bunch of passives from GPE. Long before days of Aliexpress & tons of China/HK sellers competing on eBay though. I bet with today's prices someone wanting to build out 5-10x boards could hit $20 in material cost (not counting the PCB) if you don't mind taking a gamble on China/HK sellers. So if you're doing enough boards you could probably be in the $50-60 range for total costs per MPU. Of course someone just wanting to build one out is going to end up at a much higher cost -- or probably be better off buying a kit if it's offered.

On that note, I'm sure you'd agree.. what's hard these days is not having to go the import route with components. There's enough competition out there doing just that and as much as you'd like to be using parts from Mouser, etc so there's more consistency in them.. the guy who doesn't gets to price cheaper -- and cheap is what ultimately sells.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

-51 sound and rectifier boards are in real game prototype testing. LDB with led support, -50 sound, and Addams family HPB with fuses proto PCBs have been ordered. Sb100 sound board in recreation design phase.

There's a ton of boards I'd love to have thrown into Kicad over the years and recreated from the schematics. SB-100 was one of them.. obviously has had appeal because of the price working ones go for. Looks like I need to finally get my current stock of them fixed up like I planned to do when I wrote that Techdose SB-100 repair article years ago, before there's a new board on the market

Out of curiosity, is there anyone that can explain what the deal is with PCBs, copyrights and ability to recreate if schematics are public? Is it pretty much anything goes unless you get into software/firmware?

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Very logical approach to a simple solution. Yeah I know many people complain about PPS and their licensing. But people buy licenses (have to pay for them first off) to make a profit. And as I've seen over the years they are being more flexible with whom can get their license. At $3 for the fee it's really not a bad deal at all.

Yeah I think barakandl will find that was a very good move on this product & for the future. No bad voodoo with PPS, you start a relationship that could work very much in your favor (ie. other products like Bally sound boards that require eproms). If you shut a door by pissing off the wrong person, it might be shut forever. The $3 fee Andrew would be passing along sounds like it might be the exact cost to him for licensing, which if so.. is a good move too because it's nominal compared to the market price of these boards & there's then no limit to how many of any eprom you can sell.

I get the whole PPS licensing thing bothers some people. When you're selling products though, things like that become necessary evils and it'll probably open up more doors (ie. sound board eproms, etc) by working with the licensing on higher volume products than pissing someone off and closing doors forever.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-bally-35-stern-mpu-200-repro-boards?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.