orig and cpr power off (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
9ECAAF80-F362-49E8-AB9D-20F307F42AE6 (resized).jpeg
96A9DDF8-D0A0-40FE-B336-DDA0F701AF62 (resized).jpeg
5FA63AAC-DCCD-41D8-979B-146DCE8883B1 (resized).jpeg
36E3D58E-DDC2-48E3-90C8-2B6A75E482F8 (resized).jpeg
3D2AEF61-5AAD-4E37-84C1-0C1100B71C4B (resized).jpeg
7A3F9716-A8F5-4155-89AE-4B2CB80A1C9A (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
8DCAF874-2477-4237-890E-00A3B286C496 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
934AC41A-5F45-40AE-ADEC-F0A94D32C3FA (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
1C097D4D-28BF-4652-A217-62B6397169D2 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
8753D61E-BA59-449B-AA77-28E45C262CBF (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Leveeger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Received my Meteor backglass today. It's obvious that significant care and work went into the reproduction. I am very pleased with the mirroring and it's nice to have a backglass without the flakes and holes of my original, and I look forward to restoring my game in a way that will ensure durability for a long long time. I paid what I feel is a fair price for the reproduction, however, for purists, the backglass is not without flaws.
First of all, the masking and mirroring is perfect and crisp. Excellent work. Here is an image showing the reverse side of the new glass:
[quoted image]
Below are images comparing the old and new glasses. These are taken with an iPhone 7+ rear camera under similar lighting conditions. I have tried to be as charitable as possible but keep in mind that the settings are not laboratory controlled and I'm not a photographer.
The black, white, and mirroring definitions are very crisp.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
The reproduction is missing the word CREDIT in the credit display window.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
The light sky blue does not appear to be a perfect match for the original hue, although it is beautiful and vibrant.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
The colour printing is not solid colour screen-printed inks, rather, it uses a dithering process to achieve halftones, like a computer printer. This is a side effect of the printing technique, as these reproductions are not screen-rinted. It is noticeable when you put your nose to the glass, and it will upset people who are expecting a perfect reproduction of the original. From any sort of distance it is not noticeable. Although the black and white sections are crisp, the colour sections are not, and tend to fade softly between colour transitions. From a distance it is not very noticeable, however, when processing the artwork from scans the colour sections should have been vectorized and cleaned up better.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
There is another difference which a purist will find glaring. The white cloud below the ball display window is missing from the CPR reproduction. I am uncertain if this could be attributed to different versions of the original, however, it does appear to be an error.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
In conclusion, I am pleased with my purchase and this backglass is in much better shape than my original. This will make my game look so much better.
If you are looking for a 100% faithful reproduction of the original, CPR has not achieved that in this current batch. For a future "Gold" run, they should correct the missing credit text and cloud as well as improving the definition and transition from one colour to another. The dithering is an unavoidable side effect of the current printing method, but the other issues could be resolved with additional care.
I hope that people including the folks at CPR will find this review fair. CPR has done a very good job creating a reproduction that will meet the needs of most people, and will immensely improve the look and feel of many aging machines, but someone looking for a 100% perfect glass should continue looking for it on the old-stock market as this product does have flaws that will, well, bother the kinds of people bothered by this kind of thing. I hope this review helps you too.

Hi, it's a pitty the repro colours to be so dull while they're so bright on the original... But a repro is better than nothing at all or better than a cracked or ghosted backglass... Hope the repro technichs will improve in time and these products to be available in Europe.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Leveeger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-backglasses-added-at-cpr?tu=Leveeger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.