orig and cpr power off (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
9ECAAF80-F362-49E8-AB9D-20F307F42AE6 (resized).jpeg
96A9DDF8-D0A0-40FE-B336-DDA0F701AF62 (resized).jpeg
5FA63AAC-DCCD-41D8-979B-146DCE8883B1 (resized).jpeg
36E3D58E-DDC2-48E3-90C8-2B6A75E482F8 (resized).jpeg
3D2AEF61-5AAD-4E37-84C1-0C1100B71C4B (resized).jpeg
7A3F9716-A8F5-4155-89AE-4B2CB80A1C9A (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
8DCAF874-2477-4237-890E-00A3B286C496 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
934AC41A-5F45-40AE-ADEC-F0A94D32C3FA (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
1C097D4D-28BF-4652-A217-62B6397169D2 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
8753D61E-BA59-449B-AA77-28E45C262CBF (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)

There are 421 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 4 years ago

Kinda really want to know if IJ backglasses will be back in stock. Over 13k made, heavy sales numbers there.

#152 4 years ago

Well, that looks a whole lot simpler than I was expecting. The glass you had used didn't have any fancy tricks or slight of hand, its just green in those places and the one we used clearly showed a blue there. But I believe we can fairly easily swap the blue out for a green and I'm thinking, tone the light blue down a bit too. But keep in mind we'll be messing with this backglass and will likely wind up with a glass that's not exactly like any other original.

We have encountered this type of color issues time and time again. With so many suppliers and batches made, there would never be two backglasses/plastics or playfield from different batches that would be the exact same and certainly none between suppliers that would ever be even close.

We ALWAYS have to make a copy of the exact product we have in our hands at the time, its the only thing we can do. In one case, I had 4 different samples of the same PF and each and every one of them had different cut files (missing and/or holes, different sized holes etc), different artwork and different colors, yet they all came out of the same game. My memory fails me now but it may have been Firepower. Anyway, what to do?? We got a fifth and it was the same as one of the others so we chose that one to duplicate, but really have never known if that was the most common or the most rare version.... ahhh the fun of making reproduction parts

Mike

#153 4 years ago

Sorcerer playfields were cut many different ways. Had 5 that were all different in a row after printing & I did about 30 restorations years ago.

#154 4 years ago

What are the differences in the two twilight zones.

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

Well, that looks a whole lot simpler than I was expecting. The glass you had used didn't have any fancy tricks or slight of hand, its just green in those places and the one we used clearly showed a blue there. But I believe we can fairly easily swap the blue out for a green and I'm thinking, tone the light blue down a bit too. But keep in mind we'll be messing with this backglass and will likely wind up with a glass that's not exactly like any other original.

I feel ya man- I know how hard it is to replicate stuff perfectly; especially when there isn't always consistent source material to work from. I have a basement half full of CPR products either from you directly or by way of other people... great stuff, all of it, until this. A number of people have posted now that their original has green in that layer, and nobody has said they have blue. The local arcade's is the same, and a couple of my buddies that also have the game also have green. Looking through Meteor ads in the marketplace, they all seem to be forest green too. Same as multiple different ones on IPDB. The first few pages of google image search for meteor backglasses doesn't turn up any with blue at all. I'll take you at your word that your original was blue, but the original you scanned must have been an exceptionally rare glass.

I'm not sure what to say, this has really taken the wind out of my sails. I've been looking for a good backglass for a couple of years now; even this original one was a second "close enough" one, so when I saw that your reproductions were out I jumped at the chance. Even if you were to do another run with the standard colours I can't drop another $500.

I dunno. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I promise you I didn't post to create drama. I'm just super bummed out that this backglass that I've been excited to install for the last month doesn't look anything like any Meteor backglass out there. Hues and shades are one thing, but blue just ain't green.

#156 4 years ago

When is the whole on demand playfields happening?

#157 4 years ago

Makes me wonder if all of the 'Meteor' backglasses that are missing the "CREDITS" label and that cloud under the credits window have this 'blue' in them instead of the green.

#158 4 years ago

So I had Kevin and Stu check last night and ours is definitely blue, no hint of green. It came from an NOS glass that I think we got from PAPA but I may be mistaken on that. Rather than start trying to approximate yours without any real guidance other than images on a monitor we had better leave it like it is. The three of us have had this argument more than once, but we have to make a reproduction of an actual physical object and trying to make a Frankenstein to satisfy everyone will just lead to a product that is correct to no ones. As Coyote mentioned this was a completely different version from yours from the very outset so it was never going to match. Sorry

Mike

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

When is the whole on demand playfields happening?

Muskie;

We are still trying to get all of our backglasses and plastics from our back history on the website and we are also adding new product all the time. We just finished an insert count and inventory and have just under 250,000. The next stage is to see what we can make using there and get those playfields made in very short runs of 5-10. Then we need to flush out the inserts we are low on. We purchased an injection molding machine to do just that. But that takes time to learn how to use, time to make molds and time to get pre-colored material as I refuse to do what everyone else does and mix colors on the fly. All that guarantees is that almost none of your inserts will match in color. So we are buying precompounded colors which means all the inserts will always match in color, the price is about 10 times what the normal clear stock and powdered dye costs but I had to give up getting inserts from some places because the color consistency was just awful.

Once all this is done and working smoothly then we can make on demand PFs but it actually makes more sense to make them in small batches so its likely going to go more like someone orders a made for you PF and we make 5-10, then they will show up as in stock on the website. So its truly only made for you for the first guy

Mike

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I feel I may regret what I'm about to say.
First of all, I'm a huge believer and supporter of what CPR does. I have purchased CPR playfields and plastics and recommend them without hesitation. I recently sent my original Meteor plastics to be scanned so that others can refurbish their machines. You guys have always been awesome to me.
I have some thoughts to add to my review of the Meteor glass on the first page of the thread.
I was getting ready this evening to replace my original flaking Meteor glass with my new one, and I've realized that the CPR reproduction is completely missing the dark green ink layer. Not super apparent while frontlit, but when the the glass is backlit, the difference is very striking.
Putting them side to side it's absolutely better than a roached glass but I can't believe I didn't see this before.
I'm sorry guys, I've got to take back some of what I said in the review before. This isn't purist nitpicking; the scan is missing a primary colour layer from the original glass. If you take a look at the asteroid and the cones on the reproduction rockets it's obvious that the layer was present in the scan, but got interpreted as a dark shade of blue when doing the artwork.
Pretty bummed out right now, to be honest. Now that I can see the difference I can't unsee it. The green layer is in every photo I see of original glasses too, including that early red run, so it doesn't look like an original production difference.
I know you guys really tried to get it right, and the hard work you put into it shows- but folks that have a passable original glass might want to hold onto it a little bit longer.
Original:[quoted image]
CPR:[quoted image]

That original green looks Awesome
Really makes it pop!

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

So I had Kevin and Stu check last night and ours is definitely blue, no hint of green.

Can you post a pic of the back glass you used for us to see?

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

It came from an NOS glass

Just curious as I see quite often that people talk about colors not matching and other small issues on all reproductions.
I also know that quite common, the team is finding NOS examples that were never installed.
In my experience NOS stuff is commonly actually factory rejects from back in the day. They were "good enough" so to speak to sell as potential replacements, but they were not good enough to send out in a game due to things like missing screen, missing holes, mismatch or early run that had something changed in production.

Any thought to utilizing the community before things are finalized and in produciton? Maybe put up high res of the stuff before it goes to actual full production and see if non-NOS (i.e. actual ones used in production games) match up.

I know there will always be variety (many different runs, manufacturers, ink batches, etc... back in the day) but it seems the heavy reliance on NOS (i.e. original factory rejects) may be carrying forward some unintended issues.

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I know there will always be variety (many different runs, manufacturers, ink batches, etc... back in the day) but it seems the heavy reliance on NOS (i.e. original factory rejects) may be carrying forward some unintended issues.

I've gotta agree with this. Copying an original that doesn't exist in the wild isn't a suitable replacement for what's in the game, and shrugging shoulders at the problem can't be acceptable in a market where people are paying hundreds or thousands of dollars in a single order.

The green layer covers roughly 25% of the image on the glass, and it does so on each and every one of the nearly eight thousand production machines.

That's a lot of green ink, and it's all readily apparent with a single 30 second Google search. It could have been verified with a single backlit image. There are lots out there.

Please include the community before doing expensive print runs like this based on a single mothballed factory glass. This isn't just a difference in opinion or a nitpick: it's an error, a glaring mismatch, and it's a significant one that negatively affects the end product.

I should stop harping. I don't know what I expect as an outcome on this. All I really want (and all I've wanted for several years) is a decent replacement backglass for my game that looks like the original. I guess I'm still in the market.

#164 4 years ago

So for those that got the TAF glass, my original trim on the glass/translite will not fit the thickness of the new Glass. What are you using as a replacement lift channel, and trim?

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

So I had Kevin and Stu check last night and ours is definitely blue, no hint of green. It came from an NOS glass that I think we got from PAPA but I may be mistaken on that. Rather than start trying to approximate yours without any real guidance other than images on a monitor we had better leave it like it is. The three of us have had this argument more than once, but we have to make a reproduction of an actual physical object and trying to make a Frankenstein to satisfy everyone will just lead to a product that is correct to no ones. As Coyote mentioned this was a completely different version from yours from the very outset so it was never going to match. Sorry
Mike

Simple fix on your website put "Meteor Backglass Blue Version"

Like is said I never even noticed the green nor will I because once the playfields are ready my game will be getting a full restore and the old glass will get put up as wall art. My repro still looks amazing compared to the flaking one I have now.

How long till the playfields are ready?

#166 4 years ago

Just for reference, here’s a pic of my “retired” backglass in my basement window backlit by natural sunlight.

68703FC9-DEB7-4121-A838-7EABA5E30A2B (resized).jpeg68703FC9-DEB7-4121-A838-7EABA5E30A2B (resized).jpeg
#167 4 years ago

It does sound like that while CPR has a NOS Meteor glass, it was a production reject with color issues. Considering that CPR now makes the backglasses on demand/purchase a quick photoshop change to the sourcefile should be very doable....

#168 4 years ago

Mine has green and a friend of mine his does as well. Here are pictures of mine. I wish CPR would fix this issue, sounds like most have the green. They should also add the chromed "Credit" to the glass as well like the original.

IMG_1912 (resized).jpegIMG_1912 (resized).jpegIMG_1911 (resized).jpegIMG_1911 (resized).jpegIMG_1907 (resized).jpegIMG_1907 (resized).jpegIMG_1908 (resized).jpegIMG_1908 (resized).jpeg

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

It does sound like that while CPR has a NOS Meteor glass, it was a production reject with color issues.

Guys,

I haven't been logged into Pinside since well before our vacation weeks which started March 14. But since our internal talks last night going over this backglass, I'm going to pop by for a minute and provide some more info:

While we do use NOS glasses often, and Mike alluded that he believed this Meteor one was as well ... IT WAS NOT. We started with a donor's production glass that came out of a working production game. It wasn't even a 'perfect' glass (as you'll see below). But it was very passable and workable to get what we needed.

So the green mystery... "where did the green go on CPR's glass". I'm here to show you. It was never there.

Just to show we're not making this up, or fumbling around 'seeing colors wrong' or any of the other theories... Stu went back on the server and dug up the original, raw Cruze scan that was done at the graphics studio in Arizona that we always use. These guys are meticulous archival scanner techs, and considering it's a $500,000 fine art scanner - they have to be.

Since the actual scan is a gigantic uncompressed TIF, I've done a simple resizing to a 1000px JPG image, posted below.

- the first post is the raw scan as it comes off the Cruze. Many would say "ewww its so dark"... but there are ranges of color information in there beyond what your eye can see. A Cruze scanner doesn't need to overexpose or overlight. It's CCD sensor sensitivity is beyond even the best DSLR cameras. Look at the color bars they lay on the table. Everything is photo lab balanced and calibrated. Looking 'dark' means nothing in technical terms, all the color data is there.

- the second post is the same image, but I've pulled up the gamma and midrange levels a bit, so you can see the "colors to the eye" of what it would look like in a normally lit situation (outside the scanner, shot with a camera).

No, this glass did not have CREDIT in the window. No, this glass does not have a white blob on the planet beneath the credit window. No, this glass does not have green capsules on the rockets, they are navy blue. The bodies of the rockets are based on blues, not greens. There are no greens in the giant meteor either. They are the deep royal blues.

So that is the origin story of this glass. While it's obviously the most common to have these green-based ones, as reported here in retrospect, this too was a Meteor glass put into a production game. Not NOS. Not a cast-aside oddball/error glass from the parts room. Since the artwork master for the press is 95% the master TIFF image from the Cruze (except for some redraws of score windows, etc), this is not as simple as grabbing spots and turning them green. We'd need a whole new Cruze scan of another Meteor glass of the other color variety. Starting from scratch. That is why after a few dozen sold and shipped, and it quieting down to basically everyone who wanted one, got one... we're on the fence of taking a complete overhaul on these at this late stage.

IMHO the green is BUTT UGLY. I know, only my opinion. But when I came in here to see the pictures, my first reaction was "ewwww, yuck, seriously?" Looked like green LEDs were being used behind the glass, as some kind of amateur mod attempt. Meteor has that classic blue/purple/black Stern color scheme (like Flight 2000). There is no green in the Meteor pallate anywhere. Makes no sense to me. I think the version we got is WAYYY better of a matching look to the game. But hey, that's just me. I know it may seem biased, but I'm dead serious. Blue all the way. If it were my game, darn tootin'

Original Cruze - RawOriginal Cruze - Raw
Original Cruze - Gamma Up, for online viewingOriginal Cruze - Gamma Up, for online viewing

#170 4 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Guys,
I haven't been logged into Pinside since well before our vacation weeks which started March 14. But since our internal talks last night going over this backglass, I'm going to pop by for a minute and provide some more info:
While we do use NOS glasses often, and Mike alluded that he believed this Meteor one was as well ... IT WAS NOT. We started with a donor's production glass that came out of a working production game. It wasn't even a 'perfect' glass (as you'll see below). But it was very passable and workable to get what we needed.
So the green mystery... "where did the green go on CPR's glass". I'm here to show you. It was never there.
Just to show we're not making this up, or fumbling around 'seeing colors wrong' or any of the other theories... Stu went back on the server and dug up the original, raw Cruze scan that was done at the graphics studio in Arizona that we always use. These guys are meticulous archival scanner techs, and considering it's a $500,000 fine art scanner - they have to be.
Since the actual scan is a gigantic uncompressed TIF, I've done a simple resizing to a 1000px JPG image, posted below.
- the first post is the raw scan as it comes off the Cruze. Many would say "ewww its so dark"... but there are ranges of color information in there beyond what your eye can see. A Cruze scanner doesn't need to overexpose or overlight. It's CCD sensor sensitivity is beyond even the best DSLR cameras. Look at the color bars they lay on the table. Everything is photo lab balanced and calibrated. Looking 'dark' means nothing in technical terms, all the color data is there.
- the second post is the same image, but I've pulled up the gamma and midrange levels a bit, so you can see the "colors to the eye" of what it would look like in a normally lit situation (outside the scanner, shot with a camera).
No, this glass did not have CREDIT in the window. No, this glass does not have a white blob on the planet beneath the credit window. No, this glass does not have green capsules on the rockets, they are navy blue. The bodies of the rockets are based on blues, not greens. There are no greens in the giant meteor either. They are the deep royal blues.
So that is the origin story of this glass. While it's obviously the most common to have these green-based ones, as reported here in retrospect, this too was a Meteor glass put into a production game. Not NOS. Not a cast-aside oddball/error glass from the parts room. Since the artwork master for the press is 95% the master TIFF image from the Cruze (except for some redraws of score windows, etc), this is not as simple as grabbing spots and turning them green. We'd need a whole new Cruze scan of another Meteor glass of the other color variety. Starting from scratch. That is why after a few dozen sold and shipped, and it quieting down to basically everyone who wanted one, got one... we're on the fence of taking a complete overhaul on these at this late stage.
IMHO the green is BUTT UGLY. I know, only my opinion. But when I came in here to see the pictures, my first reaction was "ewwww, yuck, seriously?" Looked like green LEDs were being used behind the glass, as some kind of amateur mod attempt. Meteor has that classic blue/purple/black Stern color scheme (like Flight 2000). There is no green in the Meteor pallate anywhere. Makes no sense to me. I think the version we got is WAYYY better of a matching look to the game. But hey, that's just me. I know it may seem biased, but I'm dead serious. Blue all the way. If it were my game, darn tootin'
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Boom! Mic Drop

I'm on Team Blue also

Now when's the playfield going to be ready

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Guys,
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

We all believe you. All we are asking is in the future just throw the artwork out here so people can take a look. If 50 people say it looks wrong then you know to take a look before going any deeper into the project.

You guys provide a great service and do a great job but all we are asking is to let us help make it better, for free. Some of these issues bug us forever. I shopped a Whirlwind this past weekend and donated a CPR sling plastic because of the issue with those from years ago. I didn't even want it on my game. We bitch because we care.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Mine has green and a friend of mine his does as well. Here are pictures of mine. I wish CPR would fix this issue, sounds like most have the green. They should also add the chromed "Credit" to the glass as well like the original.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I wonder if it wasn't a separate run. Maybe a mis-run or something, since it looks like the one Kevin posted (the one they used) is also missing the "CREDIT" text, and the white part of the cloud below the 'CREDIT' window.

Quoted from KevinCPR:

this is not as simple as grabbing spots and turning them green

I'm confused, though - since it looks like all the same color is off, couldn't you do a color replacement in Photoshop on that one color, and shift its hue? Rather than starting from scratch with a new scan? (Not meant to sound like a criticism. Honest question, 'cuz it's something I've done frequently in my photography.)

I can't say for others, but I would donate (read: pay a little more) than your asking price if I could get one in green, if it meant forcing a new run. Frankly, since noone else seems to be able to do mirroring, it's the only shot. While green isn't used in the gme anywhere else, I did look at my backglass, and I can see how it adds a little to the *richness* of the backglass. (At least, in my current lighting! Anyone else can argue with me, and be right, since their game isn't where mine is.)

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Several of us had to show ours backlit to get you guys to take us seriously. Can you offer us the same courtesy?

Not a single person in this thread other than you guys has ever seen a production machine with a blue backglass, and not a single example of one is available the GIS and you have the audacity to deflect responsibility and tell your customers that you find the original art ugly.

Come on man, that attitude is just terrible. People in here have given your business thousands of dollars and continue to give you thousands of dollars and the very least you could do is warn people that the version of the glass that you're selling doesn't match most production machines.

I know you care about your product and your reputation but that kind of unserious response towards people that put their trust (and money) into you is just buttering the bread on the crap sandwich.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Guys.... It wasn't even a 'perfect' glass (as you'll see below). But it was very passable and workable to get what we needed.

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Kevin thanks for posting the pic, but it's wrong on two points the color green and the word "credit" are missing from your glass. Imho they wouldn't have left that off. I do appreciate what CPR does and the work you all put in. I just think yous should always double check things before committing time and money to be sure it's correct. And for clarification I don't own one but my son does.

no credit (resized).jpgno credit (resized).jpgwhere's the word credit (resized).jpgwhere's the word credit (resized).jpg
#175 4 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

There is no green in the Meteor pallate anywhere. Makes no sense to me. I think the version we got is WAYYY better of a matching look to the game. But hey, that's just me. I know it may seem biased, but I'm dead serious. Blue all the way. If it were my game, darn tootin'

What kind of argument is that? That's like saying there's no pink/purple in the Quicksilver palette, so don't need it on a reproduction backglass.

But it would sure look wrong without it.

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I wonder if it wasn't a separate run. Maybe a mis-run or something, since it looks like the one Kevin posted (the one they used) is also missing the "CREDIT" text, and the white part of the cloud below the 'CREDIT' window.

Agree, it could still be a NOS production "second" that got put into the donor pin sometime later in it's life, unless it was a first owner originality verify pin, which is hard to imagine but not impossible for nearly 40 years.

#177 4 years ago

Guys, there’s just an ugly reality to screening—printers often took shortcuts. There’s nothing like eliminating a color to save time and money. Especially if the customer doesn’t notice or can’t afford delays caused by rejecting product. This might not be as common now, but back then it sure as hell was, no matter the product. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t wish your replacement matched your original, but the idea this is shoddy workmanship by cpr is ridiculous

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

So for those that got the TAF glass, my original trim on the glass/translite will not fit the thickness of the new Glass. What are you using as a replacement lift channel, and trim?

I am using the original lift channel and side trim but I put a few spots of friction tape to keep them from moving.C244E8BC-7390-4A5D-B41A-00390176B6CD (resized).jpegC244E8BC-7390-4A5D-B41A-00390176B6CD (resized).jpeg

#179 4 years ago

I had to check. I have 2 originals. Both green.

20190423_180427 (resized).jpg20190423_180427 (resized).jpg20190423_180432 (resized).jpg20190423_180432 (resized).jpg20190423_180504 (resized).jpg20190423_180504 (resized).jpg20190423_180509 (resized).jpg20190423_180509 (resized).jpg
#180 4 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Guys, there’s just an ugly reality to screening—printers often took shortcuts. There’s nothing like eliminating a color to save time and money. Especially if the customer doesn’t notice or can’t afford delays caused by rejecting product. This might not be as common now, but back then it sure as hell was, no matter the product. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t wish your replacement matched your original, but the idea this is shoddy workmanship by cpr is ridiculous

I haven't seen anyone on here say that there was "shoddy workmanship" on CPR's part.....Far from it, there are plenty here who are being supportive and trying to help figure out where these coloring differences came from. The "shoddy workmanship" that occurred in this case was very common back when Stern Electronics originally manufactured this pin, and somehow, unfortunately for all involved, made it's way into CPR's possession when they chose it as the master source.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Again - this would be a possibility - IF THE CREDIT and CLOUD artowrk wasn't also missing. This version of the backglass isn't simply 'shoddy', it's a variant.

Who knows - maybe international? Maybe a run before the red silk-screened version? I doubt there's anyone alive now from the old Stern days that would even be able to remember.

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I am using the original lift channel and side trim but I put a few spots of friction tape to keep them from moving.[quoted image]

Well considering that I can't even get the original trim to fit, I'm not going to be able to get tape in there as well. The cpr glass is almost double in thickness to my original glass and translite.

#183 4 years ago

I just looked at the 2 meteors I have, both have green, and both have mirrored credit.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Well considering that I can't even get the original trim to fit, I'm not going to be able to get tape in there as well. The cpr glass is almost double in thickness to my original glass and translite.

How thick is your original glass? How wide is the lift channel?

I have two sheets of translite glass and they both measure just about the same at 0.128” thick.

FAE81EE7-AE68-45C4-AE1E-AEB0316C5A49 (resized).jpegFAE81EE7-AE68-45C4-AE1E-AEB0316C5A49 (resized).jpeg2C999B50-7CCD-468B-8B43-BB2F4D9CAA8E (resized).jpeg2C999B50-7CCD-468B-8B43-BB2F4D9CAA8E (resized).jpeg

The inside of my channel is 0.153” in width.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

It sounds like you either have the wrong lift channel or are comparing the wrong thickness glass.

#185 4 years ago

Here is the thickness of the CPR glass.

02529D79-CA8B-4651-8ED0-A38526AB6D46 (resized).jpeg02529D79-CA8B-4651-8ED0-A38526AB6D46 (resized).jpeg

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Several of us had to show ours backlit to get you guys to take us seriously...you have the audacity to deflect responsibility and tell your customers that you find the original art ugly.

Guys,

I'm sorry if I don't come across with enough penance, but I'm simply trying to lay out the position of where this all is. This tidal wave of attention on this all happened so fast. It's not deflecting responsibility - it's the precise current state of where we are at with the Meteor glass, how we arrived there (complete transparency), and the unfortunate conundrum of retroactively not being able to now change the look of the past shipped ones. The sudden retrospect of linear time, and no possibility of a time machine.

Remember, it's only been a mere 24 hours since this came up. These glasses have shipped to dozens of people over the last couple months. Even the initial forensic CPR Meteor Glass overview/review on this very thread didn't catch a thing about anything green... and that was back around week 1 of shipping. Found a small blob missing, and Credit word missing in the window (both of which weren't on our donor, as I explained at the time). But no green. Then onward we all went. Dozens bought after that. Not casting blame anywhere here. Since these are made one-at-a-time, nothing was changed along the way. There was never a call to. At this point, sales of this glass have tapered down and now it's essentially quiet on the Meteor glass homefront.

So this green color thing pops up just yesterday. Here we all are. First time hearing it. That's all. Obviously we're being expected to jump. So yes, we're talking about potential for future prints. The past is prologue. Got it. Suddenly there is more/new information to go on. So we will.

Going forward, there are possibly some Photoshop tricks that might be clean/sharp enough to bend specific areas of colors in the layout, without effecting surrounding edges or muddying pixels. Would have to be tried. I don't know for sure yet. The typical (best) way is to start with another glass from scratch. But that is the dilemma: Going forward, now that the initial rush is over and the bulk are served... we're left with the few future customers that may want this glass over the next months/years. I get it that there are a few that would even re-buy, I hear you. It's only been 24 hours, and this is going to take some experiments in weeks to come to see where we can go with this for future prints. Which I believe was the goal of this being reported. The benefit of being digital is that there is no sitting stock here of the current look. Just mirrored blank panels. We CAN "turn on a dime" and instantly change going forward, if we get the artwork changed to something else. The question is - how to do it.

Forgive me if any inferences of not caring were taken from my post. I'm only trying to illustrate where/how the look of the glass came from. Going forward, possibly a 'green' print master can be made. And yes, description changes for the time being can be made in our web site Store. Until if and when a changed print is the norm in the future.

As for the personal anecdote on the green itself - that is just a personal opinion. It's not going to stop looking into changing prints going forward. I don't find the artwork ugly... I find the green in it ugly and off-putting. Remember, to me the opposite effect is happening. As of today, I'm seeing green in the Meteor glass for the first time. So I'm just as shocked... just backwards. Now green doesn't look right to me. To me. But that has no bearing on anything.

Let's see where we can go with this.

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Here is the thickness of the CPR glass.
[quoted image]

Had no issues with mine. Everything fit perfectly. Maybe you had a replacement glass?

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Let's see where we can go with this.

The timeframe has been fast. That's fair. When I first got the glass I was over the moon happy as I'd spent months already chasing down dead end leads on backglasses. I didn't know about the green either until I got a close look in the last couple of days and then I just felt... overwhelmed and frustrated. That's where this all comes from. I know you're not out to screw anyone, but I feel like I bought a lemon.

Yes. Let's see where we can go with this.

#189 4 years ago

Mine had the green. Just checked some old photos

#190 4 years ago

MM mirrored glass arrived today and it’s beautiful ! I had colored lights in my original but there’s so much color in it now going to super brights. The plastic lift is snug ! PITA but when done it’s nice
Only problem is now I look at my other wavy translites and need all of them mirrored . I got TZ, IJ last week and a AF
Coming gotta say the Indy looks amazing
So does TZ

Thanks CPR

#191 4 years ago
FC5C7A23-CDDD-4475-8874-6ED038B04639 (resized).jpegFC5C7A23-CDDD-4475-8874-6ED038B04639 (resized).jpeg
#192 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

MM mirrored glass arrived today and it’s beautiful ! I had colored lights in my original but there’s so much color in it now going to super brights. The plastic lift is snug ! PITA but when done it’s nice
Only problem is now I look at my other wavy translites and need all of them mirrored . I got TZ, IJ last week and a AF
Coming gotta say the Indy looks amazing
So does TZ
Thanks CPR

Thanks for the post, it looks awesome. Time to buy some backglasses.

#193 4 years ago

I want to build on the above...

I've heard a lot of pissing and moaning in here, but at least there other vocal folks that can accept some imperfection, I mean to err is human right?
This is a hobby with some very talented people helping us keep our machines MORE than presentable. We should all be grateful there are skilled craftsmen like those at CPR doing what they do, otherwise what alternatives would there be? If this hobby has taught me one thing it is to accept some degree of imperfection, after all we are all people and are all different but also all the same, imperfections make us unique.
Kevin, thank you and your team for NOT becoming discouraged by nay sayers and negative Nancys and just saying F it, ya'll fend for your selves.

CPR is huge asset to our hobby, THANK YOU for doing what you do!

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I want to build on the above...
I've heard a lot of pissing and moaning in here, but at least there other vocal folks that can accept some imperfection, I mean to err is human right?
This is a hobby with some very talented people helping us keep our machines MORE than presentable. We should all be grateful there are skilled craftsmen like those at CPR doing what they do, otherwise what alternatives would there be? If this hobby has taught me one thing it is to accept some degree of imperfection, after all we are all people and are all different but also all the same, imperfections make us unique.
Kevin, thank you and your team for NOT becoming discouraged by nay sayers and negative Nancys and just saying F it, ya'll fend for your selves.
CPR is huge asset to our hobby, THANK YOU for doing what you do!

Bravo. To CPR and the realistic Pinsiders!

BF537810-D26E-4007-848C-DD748F97DD85.gifBF537810-D26E-4007-848C-DD748F97DD85.gif

#195 4 years ago

I love what CPR does. Just to be clear, I was not pissing or moaning about the imperfections. They provide awesome products!

Was merely suggesting a way that the community could help on more of these to make things even better o future projects.

#196 4 years ago

I like and I value what CPR does. If I didn't, I wouldn't have thousands of dollars of their products in my basement. I wouldn't have sent my own originals to be scanned.

This isn't supposed to be a pile-on. It was never supposed to be a pile-on. If the hobby and the industry that we love so much is going to survive and grow we have to be honest with each other.

Folks doing restoration and repair of machines have all had issues with vendors selling flipper re-build kits that flip worse than the ones we're repairing. We've bought fake or blown ICs from China. We've got "cherry switches" that don't click, lamps that don't light, and headers that rust in climate-controlled houses.

*There are a lot of unscrupulous players in this market, and not for a second would I ever consider lumping CPR in with them.*

This started as a "Hey- did anyone else notice what I just noticed" and it snowballed from there. It is alright and normal and acceptable to be annoyed when you spend money on something and it didn't meet expectations. I don't know when people got it in their head that adults can't have two ideas in their head - "CPR is awesome" and "This backglass looks really wrong" at the same time.

It's not an attack on CPR. It's people that believe in them wanting to figure out what happened and make it right.

#197 4 years ago

As with old paintings, the colors fade and change over time. I wonder if the green people have is actually a fading from the original color.

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

As with old paintings, the colors fade and change over time. I wonder if the green people have is actually a fading from the original color.

I dont believe this is the case here as CPR has stated they had a NOS one to go off of. Also, do a Google search on this game and you will see that there appears to be two different versions of this glass. Just looked at IPDB and there is pictures that show the blue and green versions.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Just looked at IPDB and there is pictures that show the blue and green versions.

My glasses are real thick but at IPDB's meteor page https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1580 there is no blue one. Inside the "meteor", all glasses have both green and blue ink, but the green can only be distinguished from the blue in the speckled mirror section when the glass is backlit.

I think you may want to take a second look. I used to think exactly what you did before realizing I had never seen a blue one backlit.

#200 4 years ago

Hey, Just got back from a short hiatus from pinside. What's the problem ?

There are 421 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-backglasses-added-at-cpr/page/4?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.