orig and cpr power off (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
9ECAAF80-F362-49E8-AB9D-20F307F42AE6 (resized).jpeg
96A9DDF8-D0A0-40FE-B336-DDA0F701AF62 (resized).jpeg
5FA63AAC-DCCD-41D8-979B-146DCE8883B1 (resized).jpeg
36E3D58E-DDC2-48E3-90C8-2B6A75E482F8 (resized).jpeg
3D2AEF61-5AAD-4E37-84C1-0C1100B71C4B (resized).jpeg
7A3F9716-A8F5-4155-89AE-4B2CB80A1C9A (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
8DCAF874-2477-4237-890E-00A3B286C496 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
934AC41A-5F45-40AE-ADEC-F0A94D32C3FA (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
1C097D4D-28BF-4652-A217-62B6397169D2 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
8753D61E-BA59-449B-AA77-28E45C262CBF (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
There are 421 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
#51 5 years ago

Would really like to see TAF installed in an actual game. Like to see it lit and not lit and side by side comparison with a regular translite. Not buying based on an image.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Do you just need to buy and fit the lift channel for these then? You don't need to put plastic trim around it?

Are you asking about using translite instead of black glass

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from JAG94:

For TAF, does it use the original channels for mounting or does it come with channels so it can be inserted into the machine. I am very interested!

Could someone please answer this question for me?

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Do you just need to buy and fit the lift channel for these then? You don't need to put plastic trim around it?

Correct.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Would really like to see TAF installed in an actual game. Like to see it lit and not lit and side by side comparison with a regular translite. Not buying based on an image.

Just waiting on TAF reviews and pics as well.
Someone please post this, Thanks.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Typically Stern used a white plastic trim around the backglass. White is hard to find and black looks much better and is cheap. Put on the black trim to protect the edges of the glass and to the glass from rubbing inside the backbox. When installing the lift channel, fold over some electrical tape on the bottom edge about 5 inches from each end. Keep layering the tape until it's thick enough to keep the channel from falling off. Don't use too much where you need to use excessive force to install the channel. It usually takes about 3 layers of tape. This is how it was done at the factory for Bally and Stern.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Are you asking about using translite instead of black glass

I'm not sure what you're asking me. Quite simply I was asking what I need to buy on top of buying this from CPR to be able to put it in my TAF, as it wasn't (and isn't) clear. The CPR website doesn't even tell you what else you might need, and I think it would be reasonable for people to expect something like this to arrive ready to install?

Thanks

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Typically Stern used a white plastic trim around the backglass. White is hard to find and black looks much better and is cheap. Put on the black trim to protect the edges of the glass and to the glass from rubbing inside the backbox. When installing the lift channel, fold over some electrical tape on the bottom edge about 5 inches from each end. Keep layering the tape until it's thick enough to keep the channel from falling off. Don't use too much where you need to use excessive force to install the channel. It usually takes about 3 layers of tape. This is how it was done at the factory for Bally and Stern.

Ok this contradicts what Coyote said. Think I'll wait for someone to buy and review it before I pull the trigger.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Ok this contradicts what Coyote said. Think I'll wait for someone to buy and review it before I pull the trigger.

F2K is talking about the Meteor (Stern, late '70s), not TAF (early '90s).

While you do not *NEED* the side or top trim in the TAF - only the lift channel (bottom piece) - I personally WOULD put the sides and tops on, to help prevent the wood in the backbox from scraping up the edges of the backglass.

I'm assuming that your current TAF is missing the translight. If it *ISN'T*, then just take those pieces off your glass, roll up your existing translight and store it (to protect it!!) and then put the trim pieces onto your CPR glass.

#59 5 years ago

Cheers. No, my TAF has a translite already, there isn't even really anything wrong with it either. I just can't help myself when it comes to shiny things

#60 5 years ago

Thread started 14 days ago and already most of the mirrored are out of stock???

#61 5 years ago

My TAF and TZ mirrored backglasses came safe today. They look awesome! Great work CPR Team. Can’t wait to see how much light they let through. Can’t wait to get my new Stargazer and Elektra toppers on Thursday. I hope Funhouse and TOM mirrored backglasses come up also

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

My TAF and TZ mirrored backglasses came safe today. They look awesome! Great work CPR Team. Can’t wait to see how much light they let through. Can’t wait to get my new Stargazer and Elektra toppers on Thursday. I hope Funhouse and TOM mirrored backglasses come up also

Any chance you could post a picture of the backside of the TZ glass?

Really hoping CPR will post some product photos. I want to get both TZ and TAF but I want to see what I would be getting first.

#63 5 years ago

I took a few pics installed but can’t seem to post anything on this site . They just have a solid blocker on backside . Only have Comet single smd frosted bulbs in them with a few double bendies quick colour changer flashers in them

#64 5 years ago

Sent a few pics to you metahugh, hope they came through. Let me know

#65 5 years ago

Please post here for us.
Dying to see both of these.
Thank you in advance.

#66 5 years ago

+1 eagerly awaiting photos of TAF and TZ

Also want to know - bearing in mind the review of the Meteor one - whether there are any missing elements on either of them.

#67 5 years ago

Thanks a million nightsearcher!!! They look great! Here they are for the others interested:

210b216154b9104f536eebe9b7d5b1d279849783 (resized).jpeg210b216154b9104f536eebe9b7d5b1d279849783 (resized).jpeg24bf5cf3343838e5ba8cbd9c8f0f890cd8119224 (resized).jpeg24bf5cf3343838e5ba8cbd9c8f0f890cd8119224 (resized).jpeg436f007a257e4f83dd6489b7744b08140e9da161 (resized).jpeg436f007a257e4f83dd6489b7744b08140e9da161 (resized).jpeg5e70206cb338c4f3a909f94c575a224bafef6f70 (resized).jpeg5e70206cb338c4f3a909f94c575a224bafef6f70 (resized).jpegc143b0dfa9d8d9f3d6b1b143d9cb021276448755 (resized).jpegc143b0dfa9d8d9f3d6b1b143d9cb021276448755 (resized).jpegd5e9f72461dffc3f810418d7c9ae8659863e6cd2 (resized).jpegd5e9f72461dffc3f810418d7c9ae8659863e6cd2 (resized).jpeg

The mirroring in the lightning on TAF looks really well done! I like all of the subtle mirroring on TZ.

When I was talking about the star cutouts in the translite for TZ, here is what I was referring to:

IMG_1495 (resized).jpgIMG_1495 (resized).jpgIMG_1497 (resized).jpgIMG_1497 (resized).jpgIMG_1494 (resized).jpgIMG_1494 (resized).jpg

#68 5 years ago

Wow the colours on that TAF look really deep. I'm liking that a lot.

#69 5 years ago

Is it just me or do these look a little too dark?

John

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Is it just me or do these look a little too dark?
John

Lighting so subjunctive with this.
Room, Led, camera settings.

#71 5 years ago

Is the lightning a little too pronounced or is it just the lighting/camera effect?

#72 5 years ago

Could be the colour changing flashers I used behind certain objects. As for darkness I’m only using Comet 1 smd frosted white bulbs in a pitch dark room. In a normal lit room with the pin off the mirroring is awesome. Colours are very rich and deep looking

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Is the lightning a little too pronounced or is it just the lighting/camera effect?

I would love a die hard look at all incandescent lighting on Addams glass.
So many Led's now.
Retro comet frosted are close, but still Led's.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I would love a die hard look at all incandescent lighting on Addams glass.
So many Led's now.
Retro comet frosted are close, but still Led's.

Hell, give me one with just warm whites in it - without the color matching crap.

#75 5 years ago

LEDs are so bright, I often only use half the backbox sockets.

Otherwise it's glare city.

#76 5 years ago

I am very creative with my LED lighting. I never do a whole back box, only a few accents.

Quoted from vid1900:

LEDs are so bright, I often only use half the backbox sockets.
Otherwise it's glare city.

Ditto, what he said.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Lighting so subjunctive with this.
Room, Led, camera settings.

Guys,

For any of you going to TPF, I'd encourage anybody interested to go look at our Addams translite-to-backglass at the Charity Table. It's one of (4) backglasses we donated, and will be on display there. Nothing like an in-person inspection.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

bearing in mind the review of the Meteor one - whether there are any missing elements on either of them.

There weren't missing elements on the Meteor glass.

That was only a point of view, based on that reviewer's glass.

- The white blob in the planet that we "missed" - we did not miss. It was not on the loaned original we used. Not kidding. So proven (as usual) there are other versions out there. So we're original. Just not to the reviewer's "original".

- The CREDITS text in the window we didn't "miss" ... we left it off. As we always typically have on every similar "CREDITS" window in the past. Why?
Because they have always been a *decal* that the factory/operator stuck to the back of the glass... as was on the loaned original we used.

We could have always added CREDITS in actual ink to all those glasses in the past ... but people always say do original. So we left the decal up to end user choice.

For anybody going to TPF, the CPR Meteor glass is also going to be on display at the Charity Table. Go have a look in person.

#79 5 years ago

Thanks for the clarification Kevin.

#80 5 years ago

I ordered my CPR Meteor glass, standard. After paying, I had second thoughts on getting the red but the standard was shipped the same day and was too late. CPR says the red one is rare but I have an NOS red that I was going to use until I found out that it's missing a window for HSTD? I have to verify as it's been in storage and I don't have access to it at the moment. Did anyone get a red and install it yet? Did CPR leave the window out as original? Does the score display glow brightly through the red window?

#81 5 years ago

BTW, that's a CPR F2K glass in my avatar. Very nice, almost perfect repro. This one was from the 2010ish run.

#82 5 years ago

Let's see some more pics, these things look great. Thanks for posting TZ and TAF. More pics the better

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I have an NOS red that I was going to use until I found out that it's missing a window for HSTD? Did CPR leave the window out as original?

Our red version is made identical on the back to the standard version - except we have the press print the red tint over the score windows, as an added step at the end.

Yes, the original red version doesn't have "High Score To Date" knocked out of the lightblock backside. But ours does. So in other words, our glass is a drop-in choice for *any* Meteor owners. Those who wanted to go in the "red direction" because they simply liked the look, OR because they own a bona fide "red" build of the game from very early in production. Their early backbox won't have a "High Score To Date" bulb behind the glass... therefore it will never light up to show itself.

So both bases are covered with our repro's. Hope this helps.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Our red version is made identical on the back to the standard version - except we have the press print the red tint over the score windows, as an added step at the end.
Yes, the original red version doesn't have "High Score To Date" knocked out of the lightblock backside. But ours does. So in other words, our glass is a drop-in choice for *any* Meteor owners. Those who wanted to go in the "red direction" because they simply liked the look, OR because they own a bona fide "red" build of the game from very early in production. Their early backbox won't have a "High Score To Date" bulb behind the glass... therefore it will never light up to show itself.
So both bases are covered with our repro's. Hope this helps.

Nice! I can't wait to get started on my Meteor resto!

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

There weren't missing elements on the Meteor glass.
- The CREDITS text in the window we didn't "miss" ... we left it off. As we always typically have on every similar "CREDITS" window in the past. Why?
Because they have always been a *decal* that the factory/operator stuck to the back of the glass... as was on the loaned original we used.

Thanks, Kevin. I wanted to be as fair and detailed as possible. It's a world of improvement over the existing glass and if it wasn't going to be I wouldn't have ordered from you. I didn't know this about the credit decal. Do you offer these as well? I'd happily buy a silvered decal from you.

#86 5 years ago

That missing 'credit' in the credit window is peculiar, I was looking at some Bally glasses the other day and they actually (some of them) had a small sticker there, I suppose so that in locations where the credit display would be turned off by dipswitch (I guess for legal reasons) it wouldn't say 'credit' on the glass.

I wonder if there was a version of the Meteor backglass without 'credit' screened on the glass, or maybe for awhile they sold them with a sticker? That was a very large production run on that machine they may have had several glasses over the run.

Edit: Just noticed CPR confirmed that this was the case (it was a decal)

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I'd happily buy a silvered decal from you.

Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I wonder if there was a version of the Meteor backglass without 'credit' screened on the glass

After looking deeper after the review, I found most Meteors do have CREDITS in unremovable mirror, like the one in the review. Our donor-loaner's glass simply didn't. Likely the same reason it didn't have the white planet blob - another vendor, with another set of artwork. So we followed the loaner without batting an eye, as we've seen it on so many Sterns in the past anyway. Even me as a past & present owner of some. So it was intentionally left off due to that. Just wanted to distinguish it was an actual decision, not a miss or error. That's all.

My Lightning, Magic, and Star Gazer backglasses all had the clear decal with white lettering.

Yet my Flight 2000 has it screened on the glass in white ink.

Weird.

We don't make decals here, sorry. Don't have the experience, media, or cutters to do them right. Plus some makers have been out there for over a decade in the decals lane. Could be something up their alley.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Received my Meteor backglass today. It's obvious that significant care and work went into the reproduction. I am very pleased with the mirroring and it's nice to have a backglass without the flakes and holes of my original, and I look forward to restoring my game in a way that will ensure durability for a long long time. I paid what I feel is a fair price for the reproduction, however, for purists, the backglass is not without flaws.
First of all, the masking and mirroring is perfect and crisp. Excellent work. Here is an image showing the reverse side of the new glass:
[quoted image]
Below are images comparing the old and new glasses. These are taken with an iPhone 7+ rear camera under similar lighting conditions. I have tried to be as charitable as possible but keep in mind that the settings are not laboratory controlled and I'm not a photographer.
The black, white, and mirroring definitions are very crisp.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
The reproduction is missing the word CREDIT in the credit display window.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
The light sky blue does not appear to be a perfect match for the original hue, although it is beautiful and vibrant.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
The colour printing is not solid colour screen-printed inks, rather, it uses a dithering process to achieve halftones, like a computer printer. This is a side effect of the printing technique, as these reproductions are not screen-rinted. It is noticeable when you put your nose to the glass, and it will upset people who are expecting a perfect reproduction of the original. From any sort of distance it is not noticeable. Although the black and white sections are crisp, the colour sections are not, and tend to fade softly between colour transitions. From a distance it is not very noticeable, however, when processing the artwork from scans the colour sections should have been vectorized and cleaned up better.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
There is another difference which a purist will find glaring. The white cloud below the ball display window is missing from the CPR reproduction. I am uncertain if this could be attributed to different versions of the original, however, it does appear to be an error.
Original:
[quoted image]
Reproduction:
[quoted image]
In conclusion, I am pleased with my purchase and this backglass is in much better shape than my original. This will make my game look so much better.
If you are looking for a 100% faithful reproduction of the original, CPR has not achieved that in this current batch. For a future "Gold" run, they should correct the missing credit text and cloud as well as improving the definition and transition from one colour to another. The dithering is an unavoidable side effect of the current printing method, but the other issues could be resolved with additional care.
I hope that people including the folks at CPR will find this review fair. CPR has done a very good job creating a reproduction that will meet the needs of most people, and will immensely improve the look and feel of many aging machines, but someone looking for a 100% perfect glass should continue looking for it on the old-stock market as this product does have flaws that will, well, bother the kinds of people bothered by this kind of thing. I hope this review helps you too.

Hi, it's a pitty the repro colours to be so dull while they're so bright on the original... But a repro is better than nothing at all or better than a cracked or ghosted backglass... Hope the repro technichs will improve in time and these products to be available in Europe.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

After looking deeper after the review, I found most Meteors do have CREDITS in unremovable mirror, like the one in the review. Our donor-loaner's glass simply didn't. Likely the same reason it didn't have the white planet blob - another vendor, with another set of artwork. So we followed the loaner without batting an eye, as we've seen it on so many Sterns in the past anyway. Even me as a past & present owner of some. So it was intentionally left off due to that. Just wanted to distinguish it was an actual decision, not a miss or error. That's all.
My Lightning, Magic, and Star Gazer backglasses all had the clear decal with white lettering.

I was going to post and point out that my backglass has that 'cloud' and the 'CREDITS' screened on. (Not a decal).

I could really care less about the cloud, but would it be possible to custom order a glass with with mirrored 'CREDITS'? Pllleeeaaassee??

#90 5 years ago

Yep, took my original down to verify and it's not a decal.... the credits lettering is factory mirroring. Interesting to see the different revisions out there, although I'm not an obsessive to that extent.

To Leveeger up above: there were differences in my photography between the two. I can assure you that the colours are not washed out in the reproduction; they are very bright and vibrant. They sections are, however, a bit blurry and not well defined. The well defined edges of the original silkscreening are not present in the reproduction, although this issue is only noticeable when close to the product. Standing in the player's position everything is quite good. Yes, the technology will improve over time and it's already pretty close... but the result obtained by silkscreening the originals will never be perfectly reproduced unless by silkscreening.

A fellow pinsider created a thread not long ago looking for credit decals, but there were no replies. I bumped it again, perhaps others will chime in or someone who makes decals will reply. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-early-ss-credit-display-decal

#91 5 years ago

If I ever see one of these glasses in the wild and it’s missing the “Credits” I’m going to turn to my pinball friend and make an awesome joke at the owner’s expense!

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Yep, took my original down to verify and it's not a decal.... the credits lettering is factory mirroring. Interesting to see the different revisions out there, although I'm not an obsessive to that extent.
To Leveeger up above: there were differences in my photography between the two. I can assure you that the colours are not washed out in the reproduction; they are very bright and vibrant. They sections are, however, a bit blurry and not well defined. The well defined edges of the original silkscreening are not present in the reproduction, although this issue is only noticeable when close to the product. Standing in the player's position everything is quite good. Yes, the technology will improve over time and it's already pretty close... but the result obtained by silkscreening the originals will never be perfectly reproduced unless by silkscreening.
A fellow pinsider created a thread not long ago looking for credit decals, but there were no replies. I bumped it again, perhaps others will chime in or someone who makes decals will reply. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-early-ss-credit-display-decal

I will ask the guy in Australia to make the credit decal. Pinball Rescue. I was the one that got them to repro Meteor plastics a while back. They make a nice Stern credit decal for the coin door, I can't see why they wouldn't make one for the backglass. BTW, I received my Meteor glass yesterday. The colors pop, love it. My original is in storage so I can't compare them side by side but if it's not as sharp as original, that's just being anal at this point. I'm glad there's an option to by a glass for a game that almost always has a trashed glass. And for any other repro glass for that matter, it's not like there's a ton of people making them. Especially for a game that has movie rights involved. Not being snarky here, just want to make people see that it's better to be thankful rather than to knit pick the repros.

#93 5 years ago

Email sent to Lee Feldwick for the decal. I will post his reply once received.

#94 5 years ago

Wanted to share some pics of the new CPR backglasses for TZ and TAF. Photos don't do them justice. If I didn't have the games I'd have ordered them anyway to hang on the wall. They are stunning! The mirroring is well done and the colors are deep and rich. These pics were taken with my phone in a completely dark room except for the lights from the machines. I took some from the side as well to give a different perspective. The display looks blurry but that is simply due to the fact that it is a LED and the camera has issues capturing it. I think the black and white display fits well with TZ and TAF. Great job @KevinCPR.

20190310_232820 (resized).jpg20190310_232820 (resized).jpg20190310_232449 (resized).jpg20190310_232449 (resized).jpg20190310_232736 (resized).jpg20190310_232736 (resized).jpg20190310_232754 (resized).jpg20190310_232754 (resized).jpg20190310_232522 (resized).jpg20190310_232522 (resized).jpg20190310_232543 (resized).jpg20190310_232543 (resized).jpg20190310_232609 (resized).jpg20190310_232609 (resized).jpg20190310_232700 (resized).jpg20190310_232700 (resized).jpg

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Email sent to Lee Feldwick for the decal. I will post his reply once received.

I heard back from Lee and he agreed to make the credit decals. He said he will start on them this week. If you didn't already know of Pinball Rescue, visit their site. pinballrescue.net

They have some pretty cool stuff and the quality and service are top notch.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

Wanted to share some pics of the new CPR backglasses for TZ and TAF. Photos don't do them justice. If I didn't have the games I'd have ordered them anyway to hang on the wall. They are stunning! The mirroring is well done and the colors are deep and rich. These pics were taken with my phone in a completely dark room except for the lights from the machines. I took some from the side as well to give a different perspective. The display looks blurry but that is simply due to the fact that it is a LED and the camera has issues capturing it. I think the black and white display fits well with TZ and TAF. Great job KevinCPR.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have you got any bulbs out on your TAF? You can barely make out the windows at the top left (Cousin IT) and top right.

EDIT: It's actually pretty dim on the standard translite, hadn't noticed how much dimmer it was. Ignore me

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

Wanted to share some pics of the new CPR backglasses for TZ and TAF. Photos don't do them justice. If I didn't have the games I'd have ordered them anyway to hang on the wall. They are stunning! The mirroring is well done and the colors are deep and rich. These pics were taken with my phone in a completely dark room except for the lights from the machines. I took some from the side as well to give a different perspective. The display looks blurry but that is simply due to the fact that it is a LED and the camera has issues capturing it. I think the black and white display fits well with TZ and TAF. Great job KevinCPR.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for sharing and they look great! Do you happen to have a picture of Cousin It lit up too?

#98 5 years ago

How are those credit decals applied? Are they just stickers, or waterslide?

I have an ALPS printer that can do silver/chrome foil which might achieve the desired look. But those would be waterslide on top of the glass.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Thank you for sharing and they look great! Do you happen to have a picture of Cousin It lit up too?

I'll try and get some more shots tonight. I'll put the game in test mode and see what I can capture.

#100 5 years ago

Just ordered a Twilight Zone. Can’t wait to see what it looks like in person!

There are 421 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-backglasses-added-at-cpr/page/2?hl=barr993 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.