Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
Capture3_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
avengers_(resized).jpg
There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 8 years ago

This is definitely a case of "better late than never".

Stern has said many times that both WWE and Kiss will be getting major updates. The big complaint previously was they would never even acknowledge this. So now they let us know what games are being worked on, and now have shown they'll even update a game out of production. So that is a big improvement.

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am completely confused by this update......I just don't get it? Why invest time in a game that shipped 3 years ago, when again, you have games that have been out for a year and have limited code, i.e Kiss. This update is insult to injury. What might have made this update more meaningful would have been a statement by the company on why it was released so late and why they went back. How about a strategy Stern???

Dude, are you fucking serious? They've supported a product in an above and beyond way. That gives customers of recent product proof that Stern listens to customers and will release code updates even if a game is out of production or a flop. This is massively awesome - and you're confused? GTFO

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

Makes me think of this...
» YouTube video

Same! Was going to post it but didn't think anyone would know wtf it was

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I did some testing and cannot reproduce a Thor flasher bug on the new version. I have:
* Started thor then started hulk MB, flasher stays before, during and after.
* Started thor, drained ball, flasher is flashing on next ball. I actually kept him flashing for 2 balls and a MB.
* Started thor, qualified and earned several shield awards, flasher still going
If I need to test anything else let me know.

That should cover it. Can't wait to load the code and get some games in. Have to wait till the weekend though.

I am completely confused by this update......I just don't get it? Why invest time in a game that shipped 3 years ago, when again, you have games that have been out for a year and have limited code, i.e Kiss. This update is insult to injury. What might have made this update more meaningful would have been a statement by the company on why it was released so late and why they went back. How about a strategy Stern???

I'm surprised at this one as you're normally pretty level headed. It may have shipped 3 years ago but my understanding is that distributors still have these games in stock NIB anyways so that doesn't matter. Hopefully this helps them sell those games but I think this update is one attempt at Stern to show some commitment to their customers. I also don't get the mentality that I see now, around here, that because one game is getting an update that others aren't being worked on. Stern has more than one coder so this logic makes no sense at all to me.

Lastly, KISS got a major update in Aug. That was just 5 months ago. You never know what is in store for KISS. Stern may be pulling a ST on the code to where they are just working on another massive update. How long did we wait for ST? Seemed like it was close to a year (readme file doesn't date back before the major upgrade). At this point I wouldn't consider KISS to be forgotten.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Amen brother. After Avengers and XMen NIB purchases and resulting experiences, I'm done NIB until trend proves otherwise. Ecstatic new code for Avengers by Stern, but doesn't get me over the hump to trust them on another NIB purchase. Passed on GOT and Kiss, two themes I love and in the past would have bought immediately. Still watching on the sidelines to see how they develop over time.
Why can't pinball adopt the wine slogan "We sell no wine before it's time."
Only exception in more confidence in a NIB Stern is if it has the trifecta: 1. theme I love, 2. Lyman is lead coder, and 3. Designer is either Borg or Ritchie.

I'm with you and Aurich. I stopped buying NIB as well due to concerns around code. I now will only buy after I've played the game and would be happy with it as it sits. With that said. I do think Stern did really good with the GOT code for release. It felt pretty complete to me. Things I'd like to have added and changed but nothing like their previous games. Maybe we've seen the turn being made in the right direction.

#156 8 years ago

Selfish much???

#157 8 years ago

I don't know what's so confusing. Three years owners have been asking for an update. Why hate? I'm sure your code update is coming soon. Then you'll be happy too. I agree that I would like to see more openness from Stern. I think they are moving in the right direction though.

#158 8 years ago

I collect Marvel Comics. Avengers was my favorite. I have (with only a couple of holes) 1-up to at least #200 or so. Also mostly a full run of Xmen 1-to reprints then GS 1 and #94-past 200. AF #15, Spidey #1 and mostly a solid set up past 100. All Thor JIMs. Solid runs of TOS & Iron Man, TTA and Hulk.

I want Avengers, Xmen, Spider Man (again), and Iron Man. Like really, really badly.

This thread is excruciating because I can't afford any of them any more.

If you have any of them, count yourself fortunate to be able to own them.

Enjoy!

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I collect Marvel Comics. Avengers was my favorite. I have (with only a couple of holes) 1-up to at least #200 or so. Also mostly a full run of Xmen 1-to reprints then GS 1 and #94-past 200. AF #15, Spidey #1 and mostly a solid set up past 100. All Thor JIMs. Solid runs of TOS & Iron Man, TTA and Hulk.
I want Avengers, Xmen, Spider Man (again), and Iron Man. Like really, really badly.
Enjoy!

Sell your books to fund the games

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Enjoy!

Sell me your HS II to get you almost half way there to owning an Avengers. I want to buy one very badly.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

As i remember, it was told that there would be no more updates for machines, when the license is no longer valid.

Stern is in pretty tight with Disney, so I don't see there being an issue.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Stern is in pretty tight with Disney, so I don't see there being an issue.

Well, obviously there was no issue since they released it.

Likely the software update, being bug fixes mostly, and no new content, probably needed no review of assets.

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Likely the software update, being bug fixes mostly, and no new content, probably needed no review of assets.

Battle for Earth artwork is new content and it's fantastic

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Ah, well, there you go. Not like I'd ever see it .

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Tell the truth. Glass on or Glass off

#166 8 years ago

Expect a big price hike on leftover NIB Avengers now. Thanks new code.

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Enjoy!

Quoted from MRG:

Sell your books to fund the games

Defiantly, you could sell some of those. Lots of Keys in there. Plus I doubt you read them, so now you could play them.
But I don't know how much higher comics can go in price so you might regret it

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

They added a bunch of dots and some sounds. They definitely had to get approval from the copyright owner for this. That could have taken months. Perhaps that's why this didn't make it by xmas.

#169 8 years ago
#170 8 years ago
#171 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

They added a bunch of dots and some sounds. They definitely had to get approval from the copyright owner for this. That could have taken months. Perhaps that's why this didn't make it by xmas.

Yeah. I stand corrected obviously. Nice to know this can happen for a game out of production and Stern made right with everyone.

#172 8 years ago

Great first post?

Capture3_(resized).JPGCapture3_(resized).JPG

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

That's possible. It's also possible the sounds were done and storyboards for the wiz mode animation was approved but never animated. In any case, it's all done now so yay!

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Tell the truth. Glass on or Glass off

Off. I recorded video for ColorDMD. Simply put. It's cool as shit.

#175 8 years ago

Has anyone had any odd behavior since installing the update? I've not been able to pinpoint it but in the 2 dozen games on the new software, 3 of them have had odd things happen. One was the Loki MB was lit and had a ball in it, shot a second there and it thought it was a drain and gave a new ball (after counting my bonus and score). Also, twice now both flippers have stopped working while in the middle of play. That lead to a ball drain and the next ball play in one game and the other it was ball 3 so it ended the game. This has never happened before.

Comment about the new code, the LO and KI lanes are now separately controlled by the left and right flippers. Can that be set back if desired so you can choose any lane.

Lastly, not a code issue and this might be better posted to the Avengers thread but with Loki MB the 3rd ball doesn't move and need to shake the game. I know there's a sticker fix for it and have that but it's not always working. I read from another thread about using an inverted cliffy but that didn't work. Does anyone else have this problem?

Other then the above the new code, especially the BW spinner, ROCKS

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from mike071581:

Has anyone had any odd behavior since installing the update? I've not been able to pinpoint it but in the 2 dozen games on the new software, 3 of them have had odd things happen. One was the Loki MB was lit and had a ball in it, shot a second there and it thought it was a drain and gave a new ball (after counting my bonus and score). Also, twice now both flippers have stopped working while in the middle of play. That lead to a ball drain and the next ball play in one game and the other it was ball 3 so it ended the game. This has never happened before.

this sounds like an trough opto issue. Pretty common and can be temperamental and sporadic.

I've had a few dozen games on mine and it's been playing fine so far.

Quoted from mike071581:

Comment about the new code, the LO and KI lanes are now separately controlled by the left and right flippers. Can that be set back if desired so you can choose any lane.

Likely not, this fixes a major exploit of the game. I like that it makes you work for Loki now, no just loading it up on one side.

Quoted from mike071581:

Lastly, not a code issue and this might be better posted to the Avengers thread but with Loki MB the 3rd ball doesn't move and need to shake the game. I know there's a sticker fix for it and have that but it's not always working. I read from another thread about using an inverted cliffy but that didn't work. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have the sticker fix from Stern, and I also shaved the sticker down a bit more so there was very little anything to catch the ball.

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Dude, are you fucking serious? They've supported a product in an above and beyond way. That gives customers of recent product proof that Stern listens to customers and will release code updates even if a game is out of production or a flop. This is massively awesome - and you're confused? GTFO

Don't get me wrong, I am happy for everyone who presently owners an Avengers, but how many of those original buyers still own it! My LE came and went years ago. Bull shit this shows Sterns commitment, this does the exact opposite, it shows how screwed up they are! Now as one poster mentioned, I didn't realize that distributors were stuck with this title.....Truth Be told, I do not think that updated code will not help sell them. I am confused about one thing..........Stern's business model. You guys are being way to kind to Stern, this was a $6000 toy, that took 3 years for them to update, how about an apology?

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

That should cover it. Can't wait to load the code and get some games in. Have to wait till the weekend though.

I'm surprised at this one as you're normally pretty level headed. It may have shipped 3 years ago but my understanding is that distributors still have these games in stock NIB anyways so that doesn't matter. Hopefully this helps them sell those games but I think this update is one attempt at Stern to show some commitment to their customers. I also don't get the mentality that I see now, around here, that because one game is getting an update that others aren't being worked on. Stern has more than one coder so this logic makes no sense at all to me.
Lastly, KISS got a major update in Aug. That was just 5 months ago. You never know what is in store for KISS. Stern may be pulling a ST on the code to where they are just working on another massive update. How long did we wait for ST? Seemed like it was close to a year (readme file doesn't date back before the major upgrade). At this point I wouldn't consider KISS to be forgotten.

A three year wait is commitment??? I owned an LE, I am wondering how many in this thread even owned an Avengers?? Focus less on my Kiss statement and more on the Stern business model. I probably should not have used Kiss to make my case as its certainly not the best example. If things are changing, "great", but how about a statement to your customers.......Oh wait, Stern is still having a hard time admitting we are their customers.

#179 8 years ago

A three year wait is commitment??? Focus less on Kiss, focus more on the Stern business model. I probably should not have used Kiss to make my case as clearly people are focusing on the wrong thing. If things are changing, "great", but how about a statement to your customers.......Oh wait, Stern is still having a hard time admitting we are their customers.

So true, & I get your frustration....the only other show is Jersey Jack-me-off-for years. I picked the wrong hobby

#180 8 years ago

I'll take a pro or an le if distros still have them and price is right. Sold my pro about 6 months ago, loved it, just wanted a change. Would definitely take one back.

#181 8 years ago

Didn't they do the whole 3 year wait for TF code update also?

#182 8 years ago

Anyone have a video of the new code yet?

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from mike071581:

Other then the above the new code, especially the BW spinner, ROCKS

Ball draining def sounds like a lose connection in the ball trough

I used an inverted cliffy like a year ago and now not one single ball hang up since then in those Loki Multi Ball locks

#184 8 years ago

A three year wait is commitment??? I owned an LE, I am wondering how many in this thread even owned an Avengers?? Focus less on my Kiss statement and more on the Stern business model. I probably should not have used Kiss to make my case as its certainly not the best example. If things are changing, "great", but how about a statement to your customers.......Oh wait, Stern is still having a hard time admitting we are their customers.

It's a whole lot better than Wheel of Torture.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from mike071581:

Has anyone had any odd behavior since installing the update?

I've also sensed something a little different, but I hadn't played the game as much lately, so I'm not certain. My slingshots seem more tame than I recall and on game 3 after installing the update I had the pin's first ball search kick in until I rebooted. The sound also seems much lower when I'm in the menus. I suspect I'd previously messed with the sounds and the new code reset defaults. In any case, it's an awesome update. Granting B/W ramp through the spinner has extended its stay in my collection.

#186 8 years ago

frolic:
"Likely not, this fixes a major exploit of the game. I like that it makes you work for Loki now, no just loading it up on one side."

how do you light the K and the I though on an LE that has Hawkeye arrow sending ball back to left lanes all the time?

am I missing something?

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

how do you light the K and the I though on an LE that has Hawkeye arrow sending ball back to left lanes all the time?

am I missing something?

You can short plunge to get them there.

The Hawkeye diverter only sends it to the left side "sometimes".

There is a diverter adjustment that also allows you to override it so you tell it left or right by holding the flippers.

Just through normal play you'll get the ball going down that inlane.

This hasn't been a problem for me at all.

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Did you change it in settings to weighted + over ride?

ah so this allows player to choose between L and O or K and I lanes?

#189 8 years ago

got it, thanks frolic.

the arrow diverter on the LE I play very consistently sends ball back across to the left on successful Hawkeye shots

#190 8 years ago

This is awesome to see...Always wanted an Avengers LE, now it goes to the top of the wishlist...Great job by Stern.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

got it, thanks frolic.
the arrow diverter on the LE I play very consistently sends ball back across to the left on successful Hawkeye shots

I believe the factory default is to send to Hawkeye unless Loki is lit, then it sends to Loki lock. I do believe when Hawkeye mode is on, it might redirect as well to Loki.

I generally short plunge the ball to try and get Captain America skill shot, so right out of the gate i've lit a K or I.

#192 8 years ago

One thing I did while tuning up my game again is I adjusted the sling switches to make them much more sensitive. I then turned down the new slingshot power setting so it wasn't too wild. The additional sling action definitely adds a lot more excitement to the game.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

frolic:
"Likely not, this fixes a major exploit of the game. I like that it makes you work for Loki now, no just loading it up on one side."
am I missing something?

Set the game settings to override + weighted then hold the right flipper button in while shooting Hawkeye and it will send to the right, hold the left in and it sends to the left.

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

One thing I did while tuning up my game again is I adjusted the sling switches to make them much more sensitive. I then turned down the new slingshot power setting so it wasn't too wild. The additional sling action definitely adds a lot more excitement to the game.

My biggest prob w/ Avengers was the design of the slings...for some reason it did something other Sterns don't - there's a small hole for the sling switch to come through - there's no space behind it...due to this, the ball hits the switch back and the switch bends on the lip of the wood hole...within a game or two, your slings aren't sensitive anymore.

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I believe the factory default is to send to Hawkeye unless Loki is lit, then it sends to Loki lock. I do believe when Hawkeye mode is on, it might redirect as well to Loki.
I generally short plunge the ball to try and get Captain America skill shot, so right out of the gate i've lit a K or I.

Short plunge, drain ball, short plunge before the autokicker gets it...both letters lit. Sure, you waste your ballsaver, but what's more valuable?

#196 8 years ago

The slingshot switch bending was a problem because the rubber Stern used was too soft. The people (including me) that reported changing the rubber with black rubber from pinballlife had the problem go away.

I suspect TITAN rings would work as well since they seem tighter than rubber.

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The slingshot switch bending was a problem because the rubber Stern used was too soft. The people (including me) that reported changing the rubber with black rubber from pinballlife had the problem go away.

I tried different rubber, tighter rubber...the slings always ended up bent. If they didn't bend on yours - congrats! I just hope they never design a playfield again with the edge of the wood so close to the sling switch.

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I'll need to try this. Same problem Rarehero mentioned.

#199 8 years ago

Pinballlife black sling rubber worked on mine.

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I tried different rubber, tighter rubber...the slings always ended up bent. If they didn't bend on yours - congrats! I just hope they never design a playfield again with the edge of the wood so close to the sling switch.

I also went with some colored rubbers got at a show when gene was still in business and have never had to adjust my slings (after the initial putting on of those rubbers). Just last week I changed them to Titan rings so let's see if they hold up ok. So far so good. I think it means that it's at least possible to solve this by changing the rubbers. I wonder if the fact that they used star posts somehow factor in to the geometry difference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,050 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-avengers-code/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.