Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mrjamma
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Either way, try to spend more time playing the pins than worrying about buying and selling -and let me know if that's possible.
    : )

Spoken from the guy that changes games every 2 months LOL.

#52 10 years ago

Everyone should gain experience in selling one of their games,
    not always easy and can be a real buzzkill
    but you learn as you go

#53 10 years ago

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Here's the truth my friends. If you are looking for that great deal on a pin on the internet, the competition out there is very cutthroat.

You have a much better chance of finding a good deal on a great game through word of mouth contacts you make in everyday life. A very LARGE part of the population knows a friend or family member that owns a broken (or even working) pinball machine.

I have got my best pin deals NOT ONLINE! There are so many vultures and pin collectors on the web looking to make a quick buck in this hobby, you are not going to "be there first" very often.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

If you are looking for that great deal on a pin on the internet, the competition out there is very cutthroat.

I'm never looking for a great deal. Just a fair one.....

#55 10 years ago

Fell for some crap again. Guy had me wait and offered a trade. I gave him the time due to the holiday's and turned down other offers.......had me going for awhile now. Then today, suddenly everything's off. Seriously....go....to...hell. Quit wasting people's time.

#56 10 years ago

Yep, all other deals off. F'ed again........no Vaseline. Really loving living in AZ where no respect is given to people.

#57 10 years ago

Only give time & flexibility to the folks you personally know.

All outsiders are "first with cash in hand" transactions.

Over time you will build relationships with good people.

#58 10 years ago

PM sent

#59 10 years ago

New and Jaded

I aint new, but I don't think I could be any more jaded of this douche filled, pain in the ass, money pit of a "hobby" than I am right now.

It kinda sucks across the board, and short of acquiring a time machine, I don't think it's gonna get any better.

Good luck to you O.P., you're gonna need it in this day and age.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from zimzam:

Like any hobby the more time you take to learn about it and become an "informed" buyer/seller/fixer/player the less frustrated you will be. Jalpert had good advice. Routed games are where the deals are and almost every game was routed at one time. Living in AZ your selections are going to be limited. If T2 pins are listed for 5k find one for 2k on ebay from a reliabe seller and pay 500 to get it shipped. It will be difficult for you to exclusively find games within driving distance.
    With that said I would recommend learning how to fix pins. Roll your sleeves up, grab some tools and start rebuilding the flippers,slings etc. Take crap apart and put it back together. Watch you tube repair vids and read read read (manuals, posts etc). Its not that hard to fix games. You will soon know your way around a game and be that much better at assessing the time/money for repairs on potential purchases.
    Have fun and be patient. Dont judge the hobby from one purchase and craigslist.

Boy this is the truth. Study the hobby. I watched the hobby and read tons of stuff for over a year before I purchased my first pin. I had one from my parents that got me interested again. Now I have a bunch. But... decide what you want... Mint... Player... somewhere in between? Once you decide the level of game you are interested in purchasing, it will make it a lot easier. I have bought several games from pictures and questions and have always been pretty close to the mark. I made more mistakes earlier because I didn't know what I was looking at (study, study). Also getting a game that you can do some work on helps you learn more about the hobby and the many different technologies that were made. There are many different MPU boards, power supplies, etc. Some easy to come by a replacement, some really difficult. Buy what you like, if it goes up in value great...if it goes down in value...great, you still like it!

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

If you get this frustrated this early into the hobby it is probably not the hobby for you.

I will agree with this 100%

It is not the easiest hobby to enter. Many types among us. Not all of them good.

Buy them to play and only spend what you can afford to spend on luxuries and you will not regret this hobby.

Buying and selling depending on the area you are from can be a bear. Do not get discouraged just analyze what is going on and try to avoid it in the future. (as much as possible)

Welcome to pinside

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Fell for some crap again. Guy had me wait and offered a trade. I gave him the time due to the holiday's and turned down other offers.......had me going for awhile now. Then today, suddenly everything's off. Seriously....go....to...hell. Quit wasting people's time.

Cl can be a total pain in the ass to deal with. Lots of people looking at the same ads you are, and those folks may not have any issues making up bs stories to get the games. There are good and bad people in this hobby. Talk to locals in your area, join leagues, etc....you will find much better deals on games with them than you will on cl or the internet, where games tend to be way over-priced.

Good luck in the hunt!

#63 10 years ago

The best advice you'll hear is to get to know other pinball enthusiasts in your area. They will teach you and, in time, lead you to reasonable deals. CL is (often, at least) a swamp.

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

It kinda sucks across the board, and short of acquiring a time machine, I don't think it's gonna get any better.

The pin or an actual time machine?

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from FightNightFZ:

You're having problems as it's a breakshot. That's not a real movable machine, one that would be at the low end of the spectrum. Ones like this get sold, but take time.

When selling, you can tell the tire kickers from a mile away. I don't respond to these people, as I know who is serious, and I bet most of you do as well. You have to be patient, and not hinge your entire life on selling this now. If you need the money fast, then you have to face the fact that you are going to have to fire sale it.

Why you would turn away anyone else is while waiting for a maybe is beyond me. My rule is first come first serve, you want it held, non-refundable $$$ holds it for you, you back out, bye bye $$$ for my time. I don't even care about the money, and if someone actually had a good reason for backing out, I would likely refund it, but it just sets the serious people aside from the tire kickers that want the world while residing in their parent's spare room still.

I just sold a Silver Slugger, and it took over a month, the longest I have ever waited to sell a machine (most are gone within days, many less than that). I just reposted the listing every week, and would not budge from my firm price (I never do).

I agree with Taylor though, this is a tough hobby on many fronts, and you're weak in the knees already. Cut your losses now. Seriously look into virtual pinball, every table, no maintenance, no worries about buying and selling. Hell, I'm talking myself into as I write this.

#66 10 years ago

A lot of people say not to buy out of state or not to buy sight unseen, but you can do well in some situations. I bought a Comet off of ebay that was not as described, but I also bought a machine off of a pinsider that was not what I expected. I guess I am really fortunate in the sense that almost all of the machines that I bought from ebay turned out to be great machines.
    Stargate. Not a scratch on it. Worked 100% for about 10 years now. Never a problem. Like new.
    Revenge from Mars. Condition better than I expected. Aside from a few cabinet scuffs, like new. Still had all the goodie bags stapled inside the machine.
    Hyperball 1 broken plastic but an excellent deal for what I paid.
    Frankenstein Great condition. just recently got sound board issues. Beautiful machine for just over 1K.
    Striles N Spares. Fantastic condition. I screwed up some things but played fine until then.
    I did not regret buying any of these and they were all out of state ebay purchases. I know that this is not common, but I guess that I just got lucky. I have not bought any machines off of CL but I know that that can be frustrating. I try to look at things this way. Don't count on making a trade, or a sale, or getting that machine that you really want. That way you can not be dissapointed. If it happens it happens. If a deal falls through for me I know that it was not in the cards, but I can always get dealt another hand. Its tough not to get frustrated but like I said before, there are plenty of machines out there and some of them are bound to cross your path. Hang in there. Its a great hobby.

#67 10 years ago

It sort of sounds like you want a good deal more than you want a pinball machine. Decent machines are everywhere. There should be no shame in paying more money than you expect to be able to sell it for. I've never come across any other hobby where people use and enjoy the object and then expect to sell it for more than they paid.

#68 10 years ago

What I really don't get is when sellers stop responding when you indicate that you're interested...

A few days ago I found a CL listing for an arcade game I wanted. The listing was over a month old and said they needed it gone ASAP because they were moving. I texted to ask if they still have it available locally and they confirmed. I then merely started asking how difficult it was going to be to move from where they had it (wondering if there were stairs, etc), they said it was light and wondered where I was going to put it. I responded saying it would go in my basement, but I wasn't worried about anything on my end once I got it on my truck. No response back. I followed up saying I could bring a dolly if needed. No response. I followed up the next day saying I hadn't heard back and was still interested. No response... I hadn't even gotten to a point where I was negotiating price or asking about condition. I can't imagine why someone would simply stop responding.

Anyway, it's not just pinball. It's everything.

#69 10 years ago

DUDE winteriscoming, feeling you totally. You try to be open, understanding, and nice but the human race has turned to dogs. You're right it is everything. I just had the guy I was going to trade with send a huge message saying I was dogging him even though I never mentioned his name. He said "I never asked you to hold it", but is not saying that you've been looking and wanting this machine for a long time an indication that you want it? To me I thought be a gracious and caring human being meant being nice enough to wait for the dude. Either way he first wanted to buy it and I only wanted a trade. Once he called off the trade on the last day (whatever, sounds like a lie), I asked if he still wanted to buy. Ohhhhh, suddenly not even that. No one gives a crap that you tried to be nice and hold it for a person that "really wanted it and has been trying to get it for a long time", its "no, you're a dick for making a post with my name not in it and trying to ruin my credibility. He said I was burning bridges, not him. Guess what, it's pinball and money talks and life moves on, you burned a legit bridge, not me.

#70 10 years ago

Put the game on ebay & sell it

It's pretty easy to do

#71 10 years ago

God that last post by winteriscoming just points out the bad side of the hobby. People obsessing about nonsense.

There is little regard for reputation and credibility when someone is selling a very sought after machine like LOTR or Monster Bash. You could insult people, call their mother names, be a known scammer, spit on their kids, doesn't matter what crap the seller is pulling...

If a pin on Pinside is listed for a grand below market value, someone that doesn't care about respect or getting ripped off will be glad to drive to the sellers house and hand the seller the full asking price in cash because he/she either doesn't know any better, or favors pinball over dignity and respect.

#72 10 years ago

Lol snyper thats funny....and true

#73 10 years ago

OK here is the skinny as I see it.

There are a TON of great people in this hobby, but not everyone is going to be that way. Craigslist? I'd stay away from. Mr. Pinball is a better option, but use your judgement. There are a lot of collectors on there. They are the best to buy from if 'money is no object' as they are more likely to take care of their pins. I've done a few deals on pinside, and things can be great in the forum, but in person, the guy can be a cold fish. You can't take it personally.

Right now, you have a lesser demand title. To trade it, you are asking to find someone who wants it, PLUS has a title you like AND you agree to make up the money difference. It's a tough deal. It happens, but it's not easy.

I've found you have to pounce on the pin you like. There's no store to walk in and buy any pin you like. When someone posts it for sale and you want it, contact them and get it. Worry about selling the other later. It'll work out eventually, but you might have to hold onto a pin for a time.

With me, I looked for 3 months for a pin I wanted. I kicked some tires on pinside, but found a Shrek on Mr. Pinball. It was owned by a collector and was HUO with really low plays. I saw it, and bought it (great family theme). I made a connection.

Months, I posted a WTB on Pinside for NGG. Someone here put me in contact with a guy who wasn't necessarily selling, but might. Turns out he did have a nice one, and sold it too me.

Next, the first collector sold me his Road Show. I had to pass on his LOTR at the time too, as he was asking too much.

Later, I saw a RFM with nucore for sale. I pounced as it was the next thing I was targeting. Drove 3 hours+ each way to pick it up at 5 am.

Then, someone here posted a WTB for NGG. I hesitated but then contacted them. They really wanted it and I just didn't love the gameplay. It should have been my favorite pin, but it just wasn't so I sold it to someone who'd appreciate it.

The person I sold NGG to told me about a friend with a HUO LOTR. He wasn't planning on selling but has a WOZ coming. I talked to him several times and he finally sold it to me.

It's a LONG road with a lot of chance. You need to be patient sometimes, but be prepared to make a move if needed. If you tie yourself up with a "Must trade", it makes it that much more difficult.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

God that last post by winteriscoming just points out the bad side of the hobby. People obsessing about nonsense.

Sorry, I'm not understanding your statement. Are you saying I'm contributing to the bad side of the hobby by obsessing about nonsense?

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

Are you saying I'm contributing to the bad side of the hobby by obsessing about nonsense?

Dude, stop obsessing!

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

Sorry, I'm not understanding your statement. Are you saying I'm contributing to the bad side of the hobby by obsessing about nonsense?

No, I meant FightNightFZ's post. It points out very well the bad happenings that occur every day regarding pinball transactions. I know from experience that it's not exclusive to pinball. You have to deal with scum no matter your passion.

1 month later
    #77 10 years ago

Buying New In The Box does not guarantee a 100% working, no repair deal.

I have worked on a Shrek that had the ballast in the backbox mounted with only one screw. Not only was the other screw missing, there was no hole, indicating it had never been put in at the factory. Of course this wont cause it not to work, but if they missed that, then what else was missed.

I worked on a Black spiderman that was missing a pin from a connector to the Doc Ock. It was for the bottom switch so when you activated Doc Ock, he would go up and down then up and stop. He would never stop at the bottom. That messed up the game play somewhat.

I have worked on two different Stern Nascars that had unsoldered wires. One was a flipper coil, the wires were through the hole in the lug but not soldered one bit. The flipper was working/not working. The other flipper was soldered fine. On the other Nascar, there was a playfield coil that had a wire fall off because it had never been soldered. I don't remember which one that one was.

Heck, I even worked on a Fireball Classic and found a GI lamp in the upper left hand corner of the playfield that had a bulb that wouldnt stay lit. It had wires on the socket but had never ever been soldered since 1985!

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-and-jaded/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.