(Topic ID: 216383)

New and Cheap Soldering Shovel

By thedoctor

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FJHPBZM

Ordered one of these, will report back. Looks like a good way to pull off headers and capacitors with less chance of damaging a board.

2 weeks later
    #2 5 years ago

I'd be more interested in just the tip and blade.

I have a feeling that thing wont get hot enough to melt solder, especially when ground planes are involved. Thats an awefully large area to heat up, and get hot enough to melt solder, especially at the ends.

Might make a neat branding iron too?

#3 5 years ago

THE DOCTOR IS : OUT

#4 5 years ago

It looks like it uses a razor blade for a tip.

#5 5 years ago

I thought the same thing, but it looks thicker than a blade. In 1 of the shots, you can see a bevel on the edge that a razor blade doesn't have. It also doesn't have provisions for the backbone of the razor blade.

<edit> 3rd shot of the iron shows what looks like a razor blade! The rest of the shots are very misleading. OP: please post pics of the device when you receive it and let us know how it performs.

1 month later
    #6 5 years ago

anyone here, who used this???

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedoctor:

amazon.com link »
    Ordered one of these, will report back. Looks like a good way to pull off headers and capacitors with less chance of damaging a board.

With a good high quality desolder vac, and knowing the proper way to use it, you will never damage a header or capacitor. I'm afraid that even if this tool could heat all the leads even enough, you are going to be limited by its size where and what it can be used for, and you'll still have to remove the solder afterwords. Good luck, I'm just not a fan of shortcuts - I've learned that often I would have saved time and frustration by going back and doing something right in the first place.

1 month later
    #8 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

With a good high quality desolder vac, and knowing the proper way to use it, you will never damage a header or capacitor.

Hmm, I also think so that using a desolder vac. is not a bad idea!!!

#9 5 years ago

I've used this tool to remove artwork from games. Stubborn control panel overlays or decal side art. Never used it to remove actual solder joints. I'd be worried about the thing heating unnecessary areas, but am interested to hear if it works well for headers, etc.

#10 5 years ago

Where is the solder going to go? This is a bad idea.

#11 5 years ago

That tool is a heated decal remover.

#12 5 years ago

Might be good for cutting square holes in acrylic and the like.

#13 5 years ago

Another crappy tool you don’t need.

#14 5 years ago

I wonder if that would work on my hardwood floors to get the old carpet padding off?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

I wonder if that would work on my hardwood floors to get the old carpet padding off?

It probably would, but at that size it's going to take a year.

2 months later
    #16 5 years ago

Here is the tool in "action" - it is NOT for soldering and/or desoldering:

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-and-cheap-soldering-shovel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.