(Topic ID: 239060)

NEW - Full Pin Audio System by PinWoofer!

By PinWoofer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 704 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by PinStalker
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KOP Freq Char (resized).jpg
    KOP (resized).jpg
    PW-DVC-4X2 (resized).jpg
    PW-DVC-4X2 (resized).jpg
    PinWoofer PW-4 Speaker Pair with Box (resized).jpg
    PinWoofer PW-4 Specifications (resized).jpg
    PW-525 Spec Sheet (resized).jpg
    PW-525 Speaker Pair with Box (resized).jpg
    PW Speaker Line (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    06FAC8AF-B022-4CD7-9EBC-6EE34988A3CD.gif
    Jeff 1 (resized).jpg
    Jeff 2 (resized).jpg
    Pinwoofer logo (resized).png
    2 (resized).jpeg
    2022-01-19 17.29.44 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OhmEye.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#565 2 years ago

I'm considering getting Pinwoofer for my new GOTG Pro, I'm already planning on replacing the stock 350W PSU with a 500W but I'm confused about how Pinwoofer is powered. It looks like it's powered off the main 48v PSU and not it's own power supply. What are the power requirements? I'm adding a lot of mods to mine which is why I'm swapping the 350W for 500W as to now need to add an additional power supply for mods but if the Pinwoofer is using 200W backbox and 800W subwoofer, what current does the amp pull from the pin's system?

Obviously it works, I'm just not understanding the situation. I'm adding several dozen watts of LEDs and mods and figure the stock 350W might be a bit slim. The Prem/LE has 500W so I figure that's enough for my mods. But surely the Pinwoofer amp is capable of some significant power draw? How does that work out?

#570 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Hey OhmEye - the PinWoofer power solution works perfectly with the stock 48V supply.
    What power supply are you considering migrating to, and are you sure its needed? My advice is to use extreme caution and if you are not 100% certain as to what you are doing, abort.
    I start thining of things like the rating of the machine's main fuse, wire gauges, the main power switch, any UL / CE ratings, how the power system was designed, the power node board and its compatability with some new supply, maybe more.
    Apologies, but I won't be able to advise you further on a power supply change and I would not want you to install a PinWoofer system on a power supply we have not tested.
    Happy to talk more - maybe a phone call would be easiest.

My plan is to just swap the 350W for the Meanwell 500W version of the same PSU, the same specs as what the stock Prem/LE use. Basicially putting a Prem/LE PSU in the Pro for 150W more headroom. I figure expecting the PSU to power an additional 100W of LED mods may not be a great idea. But lets forget that for now and let's say I'm not adding any other mods at all or changing the power supply, and adding Pinwoofer to a totally stock GOTG Pro...

The stock PSU is 350W. The Pinwoofer amp is 50x50x100W, so 200W total audio power. That's more than half the power rating of the 350W power supply. I can't imagine the rest of the entire pin draws less than 150W, so why doesn't this blow any fuse or brown out the PSU if the volume is cranked up? I know it all obviously works and people love your product but I'm just looking to understand WHY it doesn't exceed the watts available, blow any fuses or cause any problems! This is really just for my own education to understand why adding such a high-power mod doesn't exceed the stock power limits. Most modding shops recommend and offer supplemental AC adapters or buck converters to power mods without exceeding stock power so I'm not understanding how the stock PSU has up to 200W to spare for powering a Pinwoofer amp.

Again, I'm not questioning that it works, and people are happily using Pinwoofer in their stock Stern pins, I just want to understand how, and why it's not an issue!

#571 2 years ago

Dan, thanks so much for the great phone conversation and taking the time to answer all my questions with details of how the Pinwoofer system is powered and integrated with the Spike2 audio system! I appreciate the education and now I understand how it works and I have a high appreciation of the design and attention to detail. I definitely expect to be ordering a system from you soon!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OhmEye.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-amplified-subwoofer-kits-by-pinwoofer?tu=OhmEye and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.