(Topic ID: 239060)

NEW - Full Pin Audio System by PinWoofer!

By PinWoofer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 704 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by PinStalker
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KOP Freq Char (resized).jpg
    KOP (resized).jpg
    PW-DVC-4X2 (resized).jpg
    PW-DVC-4X2 (resized).jpg
    PinWoofer PW-4 Speaker Pair with Box (resized).jpg
    PinWoofer PW-4 Specifications (resized).jpg
    PW-525 Spec Sheet (resized).jpg
    PW-525 Speaker Pair with Box (resized).jpg
    PW Speaker Line (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    06FAC8AF-B022-4CD7-9EBC-6EE34988A3CD.gif
    Jeff 1 (resized).jpg
    Jeff 2 (resized).jpg
    Pinwoofer logo (resized).png
    2 (resized).jpeg
    2022-01-19 17.29.44 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 5 years ago

Like.....I put external switching p/s's in all my games for extra horsepower to drive the mods, so no worries for me there. I also like everything contained in the cab....heading to your site now....

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

mk6pin - do you have any pins with a standard aftermarket passive subwoofer? PBPro, FF, other? Thanks!

Yep.....I think 4 or 5....

(excited to try one of these out in my TronLE).

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Your 8" kit shipped today and your amplifier only kit ships tomorrow! Good luck!

I'll be popping the top tonight to install one of these....component looks nice... excited to hear this thing...

#54 5 years ago

Got mine installed in TronLE tonight...very tidy package and sounds great!!! It can definitely hit hard, but I prefer just adding enough to "warm" the sound to where I like it. Infinitely adjustable, so you'll get what you're looking for. Tron kills with it....

I like it alot (could never stand having wires hanging from under the games), and anxious to compare just the amp w a FF 8" in my STLE (sitting next to TronLE).

All hardware (and then some) included....nice job!!!...mark

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from MadPole:

I read thru this posting and thought it was an interesting idea. I have several of my pins running thru an external powered sub-woofer, but thought this self-contained package was a cleaner installation so i went ahead and purchased the 8" version.
    I installed it on my Star Trek premium. I love the soundtrack and the sound effects are loaded with a g'bunch of bass notes. The premium already has an 8" woofer and it sounds pretty damn good already, but I wanted more.
    The installation was simple and straight forward. Stern soldered the connections to the sub, so I installed spade connectors to make it a cleaner install. My 12v tap was already being used for an other mod. I used a 12v splitter connector and pinned a 3 pin power connector on the amplifier power cord. The power taps included in the kit would've worked fine, but this looked cleaner.
    Everything powered up fine and I started my first game. The sub amp was at about 50%. The pin might have actually vibrated off the floor. Good lord this thing can crank out the bass. I adjusted the volume to a more reasonable level and I am absolutely loving it. The external subs on my other pins are a great addition and make for a great experience, but this self contained bass monster is something all together different. The bass is super clean and you feel it throughout the game. The closest thing I've experienced to this is TNA. The sound effects during Nero and the Vengeance modes were already my favorites, now they are simply epic.
    I'm tempted to replace my external subs on my other pins with this mod. I'd do it without hesitation if I can find buyers for my external subs. I have no doubt I'll use this mod on any new pin that could use a boost.

Agreed....I think balance is the key to success for this one....can easily overpower, rattle the cab, but just dialing in "enough" makes it sound excellent. The clean install makes it a nice add, imho..

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Received my kit over the weekend - I am adding the amp to an existing Flipper Fidelity install (which sounds quite good already) on my original Williams Monster Bash. Haven’t had a chance to install, but I’m looking forward to it!

Just did this in my STLE that has a FF 10" sub. The driver is definitely more sensitive, so gain must be kept down, or glass rattling is a definite.

Still adds nicely, just have to back it off a bit...

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from BOBCADE:

I've been waiting for something like this and plan to check out the site and order likely. If I could spec it myself I'd prefer an option with a separate plug and a circuit that cuts when no sound is detected like my home theater subs because my only concern is power requirements.

I drive all my mods w external , switching power supplies. Pretty easy to install, then zero worries about load...Can provide part # for a nice MeanWell unit that has 12 and 5vdc, under $40.00

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

@MK6PIN does this supply power on / off with the pin (i.e. a sense line)? Please share the part # and link.

yes, but you need to wire it in to switching A/C ....most of the time super easy w any machine that has a bill acceptor. If not, you simply wire from main power box.

I'll grab the part # and post tomorrow......many aftermarket LED strip companies are including lower priced, adequate versions, as this is a genuine issue. The Meanwell I use is industrial grade, and mod worries are a thing of the past. (used to just wire old workstation ps's, but these are clean and easy).

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I haven’t written up a nicer one yet but this is fairly complete:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-sub-addition#post-465272

That thread has some scary moments in it......I've been busy, but will post the dual voltage PS, and proper way to distribute w Molex splitter. Wall warts and a power strip in a pinball machine to supply different mods may work, but I'll pass......

#77 5 years ago

P/S - http://www.meanwellusa.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=RD-125

Distro - https://www.pinballlife.com/8-way-power-splitter-board-for-stern-pinball-machines-using-whitestar-or-sam-operating-systems.html

You can grab switching 110v from either bill acceptor, modifying the aux connection in the games, powerbox, or numerous other spots that have switched 110v molex connectors near the transformer.

Simply wire the switched 110v to the new P/S, then take the feed to the distro board. Extremely clean, and can now power color DMD, Amp, LED mods easily/ cleanly/ safely.

(you will need to purchase the molex connectors, etc. if you don't have them in your stash of stuff). I'll go to the shop and pull some part #'s (from Digikey or Mouser) if needed.....

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Nice! I bought one of each. The RD-125 on Ebay was about $34 shipped from Jameco, and about $30 for the splitter board shipped from PinballLife. Here is the EBay link for the PS I purchased:
    ebay.com link » Mean Well Rd 125b Ac To Dc Power Supply Dual Output 5 Volt 24 Volt 10 Amp 5a 133
    I'll document all of this at PinWoofer.com in time. I'll also make the connectors available for sale with the kits in the near future unless a better solution presents itself.
    Great expert advice MK6PIN!!! Thank you!

If you're gonna mod your game, it gives a lot of piece of mind ( and game doesn't get damaged). A very clean, factory type mod..Great idea to include...( Done to all of mine)

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I just like the options. Some might prefer to have the sub amp upgrade from pinwoofer, or heck, they might prefer to beef up the backbox speakers with a pinwoofer amp, then just hook up a powered sub for the extra bass.

I like tidy and efficient...this gets the job done, and more bass than I actually need...really does work well....

1 week later
    #129 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Are the speaker and amp kits compatible with MBr, AFMr, and JJP games?

If you have 12vdc ( w headroom) and room in the cab for speaker depth including size adapter if needed, it works in any machine...really not a biggie here....

WOZ has a pretty robust speaker system as is, so might be diminished returns there ( i.e. my AlienLE already has a ridiculous system)

Putting one in my MunstersLE...Anxious to see ( hear) the extra bottom...We shall see...

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

I’m not sure why people feel the need to bash this. It not as if he’s spamming the forum like another company. Yes you can DiY but it seems there are those that would rather have the kit. So no reason not to have both ways available. I’m a DiYer and would make my own if I wanted more bass. But I don't. As far as the the low pass filter maybe he just added it and hasn’t updated the pics or whatever everyone is looking at. People need to smoke a Fattie or whatever they do to chill out a bit.
    Just my 2 credits.

I appreciate Op's low key approach, as opposed to what we have been exposed to w other mod "creators". I do alot of things to the pins myself as well...was going to get around to something audio wise. Glad a nice, clean package was put together. Don't mind if he makes a few bucks on it...time= $$$.
    If you want to get serious about BoM markup for mods, best to look elsewhere for insane markup (3dprinting, LED strips, etc. )

(side) - I could easily run this config through the paces, use my spectrograph w impulse response, and note whether a LPF exists (type, order, etc.)..am I? No..kit sounds fine for what it does.....

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Well, the apprehension here is people don't like to see people screwed over....Not knowing how to DIY, and being willing to pay a premium for something that is "ready to roll" is what some want, others look at it as a $6 amp, $3 low line input, $22 speaker, $2 Plexi, and "CNC speaker mount", (not really necessary) and $4ish of wiring.....the "low pass filter" question is valid, as it was stated by the seller (OP), not backed up, then ignored when questioned (because it's obvious it doesn't exist(see every picture)), but it's a simple $6 PCB add on (all prices via AliExpress, speaker eBay). Hey, if your happy with it, it sounds good, then who cares....but yes, do your research...

The description of the amplifier is a "(2x) 50w per channel Sub Amplifier". I'd have to believe the LPF is in that device, though spec sheet is pretty vague.

I've installed 2 of the kits...1 w the dual coil 8", the other just amp only to an existing 10" FF.

Can say there was nothing but LF coming out in both cases. The dual 8 kit is in my Tron, which I know receives full range , speaker level audio, so something is passing only the bottom end.

The FF version already has a lfp coil arrangement on cab speaker ( as we all know). hooking the amp to this setup gave me more gain down there, but not necessarily a lower tone.

Ordered a kit for my Munsters to arrive on Monday... I'll put on the bench first, run some pink noise through input, and measure output from amp/speaker combo and provide info.

Clarity can then be achieved. My belief is the filter has to live in the amp module, or items on Amazon don't replicate what he's actually putting together ( never looked closely to compare)....

Regardless...Appreciate what he's doing, and sounds great.....mark

Added over 5 years ago:

"lpf"

#158 5 years ago

Put me in on Beta for Pinwoofer2, please....MunstersLE going in now!!!

#163 5 years ago

First install in SPIKE....sounds great!! Couple of pics...will post feedback in a few

IMG_20190423_211357465 (resized).jpgIMG_20190423_211357465 (resized).jpgIMG_20190423_211412895 (resized).jpgIMG_20190423_211412895 (resized).jpg
    #166 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

First install in SPIKE....sounds great!! Couple of pics...will post feedback in a few
    [quoted image][quoted image]

So........... definitely other stuff you're seeing in the pics that are unrelated to PinWoofer (mainly pulsing light stuff) also running off my PS.

The system sounds great in MunstersLE....my first one in a SPIKE game (so you can screw around w the eq all you want....). Lots of room to dial in the amount of bottom end effect desired. Got the warmth I was missing, and very pleased w product.....thanks Dan!!!

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

THAT is an amazing setup!
    I see the MeanWell PS and power distribution mezzanine.
    All I can say is wow!
    More commentary on how the rest of us can get to the same level!?

Ha..thanks Dan...super easy in a SPIKE machine, as it comes with a switched, 110v supply cord for bill acceptor. I just power the Meanwell from that....super clean.

Terry @ PBL sells the power distro (think we called it out earlier). Then just a simple crimp job for the 12v molex (yes the PS has 5v on it too, if needed)

I typically don't like shortening the supplied cables on the lit flipper buttons, shooter, etc., so just bundle separately. Fun stuff!!!

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

I picked one of those power disty boards from PBL. Excellent quality.

Yep.....Mike's (D/K) was the best...miss his stuff, but this one works fine....

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Ok so for those that have CGC remake games such as Attack From Mars AFMr, Monster Bash MBr, and Medieval Madness MMr, there is a 12V bill acceptor plug that you can use to tap for your 12V source. Below are the images.
    Here is the wire schematic I used, it's the cabinet wire diagram. I'm looking for this connector in the cabinet. With a yellow and black wire.
    [quoted image]
    Here is the connector harness and the unused 12V bill acceptor. It is located near the coin door, just above the tilt bob.
    [quoted image]
    Here is a closeup showing the yellow (positive) wire and the black (ground) wire coming from the harness.
    [quoted image]
    Here is the completed install. I followed the yellow and black wires up towards the bill acceptor plug and tapped it there. I verified by turning on the machine and testing using my voltmeter and verified 12v.
    [quoted image]

Doesn't the switching PS have 12vdc outputs? ( I own an AFMrLE, and seem to recall grabbing the power there without having to tap any lines). Could be wrong... I'll check tonight. I'd favor that approach, if available...

#186 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The switching PS has 12v out going to the playfield and to the solenoid board in the head. You could add your own wires to the 12v out posts I suppose.
    Spoke with PinWoofer about some ideas about making power adapters for the PinWoofer kit specific to each pinball manufacturer. This would eliminate wire tapping for the 12v power and would not increase cost much. Will see what happens next!

You beat me to it!!! popped the top on my AFMrLE, and it's got quite a robust, 12vdc, switching power supply (it's where I tied in some LED stuff). That's a great spot to power the pinwoofer, without having to compromise any existing wiring, simply crimp (2x) forks and screw them down. Completely reversible.

Dan adds alot of goodies, connector wise to this kit. Suspect having a few key adapters available would make install even quicker/cleaner on a stock rig for those that don't have the stuff to make them up.

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

A 3 pin molex cable that plugs into a board like in post #163 is definitely something that can be added/made as well. Anyone know what the max amps is on mod a board like that? That would be my only concern, is pulling too much current from a small mod board and damaging it, similar to the 1amp limit on some of the spike node boards.
    So far I have seen users report that CN6 on the Power Distribution spike board can handle 3A without issue.

Wait, what??? Those power D/A's have been around for years, and are used as a pretty standard way to distribute both 5v and 12v for all sorts of things in a clean fashion, using a molex connection that has been sort of a standard tap on Stern games for even longer.

What are you trying to reinvent? This type of molex connector comes on many, many mods. This approach keeps people from hacking existing cabling to power everything from colordmd, led lights strips, and everything in between. A connection cable as such would be valuable for a pin woofer system, imho.

Not understanding your concerns or where you're really going here.

Maybe a separate development thread would draw the electronic geeks into the discussion of your vision.

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:A permanent modification is part of the official install instructions? Was there no option for something reversible? I would have gone with a new harness that could be installed to make the mod completely reversible.

Easily accomplished....

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

This is what I'm doing, what I quoted here. Just making pinwoofer cables.

Nice post edit, and I'm sure Dan's kits will benefit from premade, adapter cables of quality. Look forward to seeing them.

Exploring power distro and the supplies themselves takes a deeper dive...there are threads if you search for them in here... enjoy the enthusiasm....mark

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

How about this for a cable that will come with pinwoofer for use by those that have a 12v mod board already in their machine?
    (just the cable that connects to the board - the 8 way board is not included)[quoted image]

Hint - That molex connector is not proprietary to the splitter. It's on the right side of many, many Stern machines around the shooter rod (12v and 5v access point). Might want it a bit longer, as some may just want to plug in the system straight to the machine.

1 week later
    #219 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Yes, it does have the L-Pad and I've worked on the Pad (at max today) for more backbox, but it needs to go to 11! lol Been chatting with Dan offline and I'll probably grab an amp and add it in the mix. Will have more questions about where/when to tie it the amp; do I remove the L-Pad, etc. I am sure someone has done this ...

W the L-Pad, you've got (4x) places to adjust balance, not counting any eq the game may have (Spike, for example). It's all about minor adjustments and not overdriving anything. Ended up having to set my L-Pad to 90%, turning input sensitivity down on pinwoofer down (a big deal to get rid of the mud), then adjust output gain of pinwoofer while increasing volume at the coindoor.

Comes a point of diminished returns, as the larger drivers in FF cab speakers do not react as quickly as the dual coil 8" (transient response), probably due to the lower, single channel power amp nature of pinwoofer (I wouldn't want to bridge both channels to mono in fear of magic smoke effect). You'd need significant horsepower to make the driver move as fast, so things tend to muddy if you get too extreme.

I don't like the game audio being too overpowering anyway, so when balanced, it does really add a nice "warmth with power" effect. Enjoying mine on 3 games currently (TronLE - perfect soundtrack, STLE w FF, and MunstersLE)...gave me exactly what I wanted and expected.

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

mk6pin: Have you added a PinWooferAmp with FF speakers?

Yep....that's my STLE, referencing the BB balance L-Pad setup. As Dan has stated, it's a bit of a balancing act, but adds a nice curve once everything is balanced. Easy to overdo it w a FF kit installed....always start @ 0 and go up slowly. Amp input first, output to driver second, then Lpad, and finish w overall gain in door.

"less is more" in this config...little adjustments do alot..found a great sweet spot w mine....

8 months later
    #365 4 years ago

Full kit in my XMLE Magneto....w FatPanda custom audio files, this machine sounds amazing!!!

Easy to get the callouts above the music, and overall fidelity is just better...thanks Dan... cleanest install of your kit yet

mark

#369 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

mk6pin do you have an image of your power solution? I'm sure it's a must-see!

I'll pop the top tonight and take a couple pics...will include the back box pic I sent you last night as well for fun..

#370 4 years ago

A couple, fun pics

IMG_20200126_173404816 (resized).jpgIMG_20200126_173404816 (resized).jpgIMG_20200124_221954482 (resized).jpgIMG_20200124_221954482 (resized).jpgIMG_20200126_173233572 (resized).jpgIMG_20200126_173233572 (resized).jpgIMG_20200126_173620385 (resized).jpgIMG_20200126_173620385 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-amplified-subwoofer-kits-by-pinwoofer?tu=MK6PIN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.