(Topic ID: 239060)

NEW - Full Pin Audio System by PinWoofer!

By PinWoofer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 704 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by PinStalker
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KOP Freq Char (resized).jpg
    KOP (resized).jpg
    PW-DVC-4X2 (resized).jpg
    PW-DVC-4X2 (resized).jpg
    PinWoofer PW-4 Speaker Pair with Box (resized).jpg
    PinWoofer PW-4 Specifications (resized).jpg
    PW-525 Spec Sheet (resized).jpg
    PW-525 Speaker Pair with Box (resized).jpg
    PW Speaker Line (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    06FAC8AF-B022-4CD7-9EBC-6EE34988A3CD.gif
    Jeff 1 (resized).jpg
    Jeff 2 (resized).jpg
    Pinwoofer logo (resized).png
    2 (resized).jpeg
    2022-01-19 17.29.44 (resized).jpg
    There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.
    #201 4 years ago

Installed mine with success in 25ish minutes
    (Had to go chase down a set of pliers, or it most likely would have been less time)

Bally Radical! System 11

The 12v was the gray / yellow line
    The ground was black / yellow line

I started with too much bass, and toned it down to where the bass complimented the original highs and mids. I really like the improvement and the fuller sound. The bass can hit hard if you want, but it was too much for the cabinet and muddled the sound too much when turning it up too much. Settling on a nice mix makes the sound more rich and not so much on the high end.

The routed design on the sub riser makes the install very quick without having to drill any extra holes.

I’ll try to get a pic soon, although it will look almost exactly like the other installs.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

(Had to go chase down a set of pliers, or it most likely would have been less time)
    Bally Radical! System 11
    I started with too much bass, and toned it down to where the bass complimented the original highs and mids. I really like the improvement and the fuller sound. The bass can hit hard if you want, but it was too much for the cabinet and muddled the sound too much when turning it up too much. Settling on a nice mix makes the sound more rich and not so much on the high end.
    The routed design on the sub riser makes the install very quick without having to drill any extra holes.
    I’ll try to get a pic soon, although it will look almost exactly like the other installs.

I'm thrilled your install went well Chosen_S ! System 11 and WPC / WPC95 are turnkey. Thanks for your comments and if you need anything else give a shout!

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Bally Radical! System 11

Congrats!

#204 4 years ago

Greetings,

Wanted to mention that we've setup a PinSide marketplace shop for PinWoofer. Here's that link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/search?q=pinwoofer#marketplace

Hopefully this makes ordering more convenient. Buy with confidence and we sincerely appreciate all of your support!

#205 4 years ago

I like the addition of the amp; missing on just speaker options. I added a complete PinballPro to my Metallica and it's too 'bassy' and the top end gets drown out of the mix. Thought about going back to stock until I found this today; I'll assume your amp will not integrate well with an off-the-shelf pinball speaker set up due to it being 12v and not 5v? Interested in options for a music purist (well, the best that a pinball machine can deliver without PinSound).

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Bally Radical! System 11

Do you have a quick pic on where you got the 12V? Still have to install mine on my Swords of Fury

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

I like the addition of the amp; missing on just speaker options. I added a complete PinballPro to my Metallica and it's too 'bassy' and the top end gets drown out of the mix. Thought about going back to stock until I found this today; I'll assume your amp will not integrate well with an off-the-shelf pinball speaker set up due to it being 12v and not 5v? Interested in options for a music purist (well, the best that a pinball machine can deliver without PinSound).

The voltage has nothing to do with the speakers themselves - that 12v powers the amp, which drives the speakers on its own. You can reuse the stock speakers (although they will sound pretty crap)

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The voltage has nothing to do with the speakers themselves

Correct, but I believe power comes into play with the crossover with the PinballPro Bass. More research being conducted, but of course this option looks to be the best.

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Do you have a quick pic on where you got the 12V? Still have to install mine on my Swords of Fury

on page 1 or 2 i talked about a 6 kit in a sytem 11, transporter the rescue. you need to verify your 12v and ground to be certain in SOF
    but in transporter 12v is grey wire with yellow stripe, ground was black with yellow stripe.

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

on page 1 or 2 i talked about a 6 kit in a sytem 11, transporter the rescue. you need to verify your 12v and ground to be certain in SOF
    but in transporter 12v is grey wire with yellow stripe, ground was black with yellow stripe.

Thx, will check that!

#211 4 years ago

I was about to install a Flipper Fidelity kit in a Metallica or a Sopranos. Would the amp work well with that setup? Would it be better to use the amp on the subwoofer or the cabinet speakers?

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Thx, will check that!

Greetings, Switzerland! Note that I included a 6-foot / 2-meter power cable (red/black) in your kit so that you can route to 12V / ground located in the backbox and using the supped T-Taps. I believe I sent you the schematic and connector instructions via-email in early April, but please give me some time to confirm that. (Apologies, I have meetings all afternoon.)

Swords is pre-Space Station 2 and I do not believe that there is 12V routed to the coin door. (If this is not the case I'd be interested to know for the future reference.) I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Email or PM me at any time! [email protected]

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Correct, but I believe power comes into play with the crossover with the PinballPro Bass. More research being conducted, but of course this option looks to be the best.

Huh? I am totally not following you. If you install this, you don’t need PinballPro anything, although you could reuse their speakers if you wanted to (the speakers with this kit are far superior though)

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Huh? I am totally not following you. If you install this, you don’t need PinballPro anything, although you could reuse their speakers if you wanted to

I'm asking if I can simply tie in this amp to an existing PinballPro system or do I need to remove it and start over. PinballPro already has the upgraded backbox speakers and a decent subwoofer, but there is not a way to fix treble/bass mix.

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

The PinWoofer kit works with any pin and it will work with Metallica. In that title, the 8" sub kit will blow you away. Massive, loud bass. You can go with our subwoofer amp-only kit if you don't want to replace your aftermarket cabinet and backbox speakers. I should note that our subwoofer speaker is a high quality Pyle Driver with dual voice-coil and the sound reproduction is stellar. We recommend using our speaker since it uses both amplifier channels via dual voice coil.

You may have to deal with an aftermarket volume control depending on what speakers you have in the backbox now. You could go back to stock or other for the backbox, would need to know your setup better. Maybe someone here can comment on the best approach for that.

Let me know if you have questions.

https://PinWoofer.com

Thanks

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Greetings, Switzerland! Note that I included a 6-foot / 2-meter power cable (red/black) in your kit so that you can route to 12V / ground located in the backbox and using the supped T-Taps. I believe I sent you the schematic and connector instructions via-email in early April, but please give me some time to confirm that. (Apologies, I have meetings all afternoon.)
    Swords is pre-Space Station 2 and I do not believe that there is 12V routed to the coin door. (If this is not the case I'd be interested to know for the future reference.) I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
    Email or PM me at any time! [email protected]

Nihonmasa you can use the supplied T-Taps and 2m red/black cable to access 12V power at the power supply board (1P17) as shown in the image. Please confirm 12V before plugging in the power taps and energizing the amp. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of further assistance and please provide feedback after you are up and running. Thanks!

SOF12VPower (resized).jpgSOF12VPower (resized).jpg
    #217 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

I'm asking if I can simply tie in this amp to an existing PinballPro system or do I need to remove it and start over. PinballPro already has the upgraded backbox speakers and a decent subwoofer, but there is not a way to fix treble/bass mix.

Aha! Thanks for the clarification. You could add an L-Pad (does the PinballPro not have this already?) which would let you dial in a better mix between the back box and cabinet, and essentially gives you precise control over the bass. It lowers the back box volume so that you can increase the overall game volume, bringing the cabinet volume up, and voila, more bass.

Or use this amp to just crank up the cabinet!

#218 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

ou could add an L-Pad (does the PinballPro not have this already?)

Yes, it does have the L-Pad and I've worked on the Pad (at max today) for more backbox, but it needs to go to 11! lol Been chatting with Dan offline and I'll probably grab an amp and add it in the mix. Will have more questions about where/when to tie it the amp; do I remove the L-Pad, etc. I am sure someone has done this ...

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Yes, it does have the L-Pad and I've worked on the Pad (at max today) for more backbox, but it needs to go to 11! lol Been chatting with Dan offline and I'll probably grab an amp and add it in the mix. Will have more questions about where/when to tie it the amp; do I remove the L-Pad, etc. I am sure someone has done this ...

W the L-Pad, you've got (4x) places to adjust balance, not counting any eq the game may have (Spike, for example). It's all about minor adjustments and not overdriving anything. Ended up having to set my L-Pad to 90%, turning input sensitivity down on pinwoofer down (a big deal to get rid of the mud), then adjust output gain of pinwoofer while increasing volume at the coindoor.

Comes a point of diminished returns, as the larger drivers in FF cab speakers do not react as quickly as the dual coil 8" (transient response), probably due to the lower, single channel power amp nature of pinwoofer (I wouldn't want to bridge both channels to mono in fear of magic smoke effect). You'd need significant horsepower to make the driver move as fast, so things tend to muddy if you get too extreme.

I don't like the game audio being too overpowering anyway, so when balanced, it does really add a nice "warmth with power" effect. Enjoying mine on 3 games currently (TronLE - perfect soundtrack, STLE w FF, and MunstersLE)...gave me exactly what I wanted and expected.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

nihonmasa you can use the supplied T-Taps and 2m red/black cable to access 12V power at the power supply board (1P17) as shown in the image. Please confirm 12V before plugging in the power taps and energizing the amp. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of further assistance and please provide feedback after you are up and running. Thanks!
    [quoted image]

Will do, still restoring the playfield for now

#221 4 years ago

@mk6pin: Have you added a PinWooferAmp with FF speakers?

#222 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Dallas_Pin I'd recommend that you leave the L-Pad in place to keep this simple and to retain the functionality / adjustability that the L-Pad serves now. (Although you may likely keep it at full deflection / volume.)

To add a backbox amp you'll disconnect the backbox speaker wires from the backbox speakers, and use them as the input to the new amp itself. It is extremely straightforward and you'll be up and running quick. (This is becoming a popular option so I added the backbox amp to the website this morning, btw)

Please post a photo of the existing speakers. Of particular interest is the connection of the speaker wire to the speaker - solder down or lugs? Post a couple of photos if necessary and I'll guide after that.

I want to see what you're working with and then can advise on how you'll need to manage the connections.

Thanks!

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

mk6pin: Have you added a PinWooferAmp with FF speakers?

Yep....that's my STLE, referencing the BB balance L-Pad setup. As Dan has stated, it's a bit of a balancing act, but adds a nice curve once everything is balanced. Easy to overdo it w a FF kit installed....always start @ 0 and go up slowly. Amp input first, output to driver second, then Lpad, and finish w overall gain in door.

"less is more" in this config...little adjustments do alot..found a great sweet spot w mine....

#224 4 years ago

Keep this thread going, there are a lot of questions about speakers right now

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Keep this thread going, there are a lot of questions about speakers right now

Spot on! We are selling more and more backbox amps and would like to provide backbox speaker upgrades as well.

I've obviously got a Pyle account and they offer a lot of coaxial speaker options we can evaluate. If there is another line that guys like I'd love to hear about it too.

#226 4 years ago

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the sound between the PinWoofer sub and a 10" FF sub? I've got a 10" FF in my IMDN pro and would like to give it a boost. While I'm not an audiophile I would like my pin to be sounding as good as it can, especially when rocking 'Maiden.

#227 4 years ago

PinWoofer here’s the standard layout.
    LPad: wires from backbox and cabinet speaker join in the LPad. LPad connected to J10 to pick up the signal. So signal -> LPad -> Speakers. Speakers are plug in, not soldered. Crossover is on the cabinet speaker. I assume the Amp would connect out of the LPad before it hits the backbox speakers?
    *wiring is temp right now, as I wanted to see if it was permanent before I strap it in.

3CBDCAEF-C6BB-404C-8FEC-BE69041FFA04 (resized).jpeg3CBDCAEF-C6BB-404C-8FEC-BE69041FFA04 (resized).jpeg960AC814-A2FA-4C01-8627-983BD8181C1D (resized).jpeg960AC814-A2FA-4C01-8627-983BD8181C1D (resized).jpeg
    #228 4 years ago

Just placed an order for my Munsters Premium. Thanks!

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from johnnypinball:

Just placed an order for my Munsters Premium. Thanks!

Thank you johnnypinball !

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

pinwoofer here’s the standard layout.
    LPad: wires from backbox and cabinet speaker join in the LPad. LPad connected to J10 to pick up the signal. So signal -> LPad -> Speakers. Speakers are plug in, not soldered. Crossover is on the cabinet speaker. I assume the Amp would connect out of the LPad before it hits the backbox speakers?
    *wiring is temp right now, as I wanted to see if it was permanent before I strap it in.[quoted image][quoted image]

Dallas_Pin attached is a sketch of what I'd recommend for the final wiring diagram. We've done this before on S.A.M. I'll formalize it and post a clean copy to https://PinWoofer.com in the near future. It's not a pretty drawing but it will work!

Don't over complicate the presence of the L-Pad. It can persist and continue to serve it's purpose. Leave it in place and focus your attention at the speaker terminals.

Ask if you need clarification.

Good luck! If you need a full range amplifier kit let me know.

Thanks

20190511_121927 (resized).jpg20190511_121927 (resized).jpg

#231 4 years ago

Started the assembly finally.

As I am using britebuttons which also run on 12V, I will be taking it from there.

A full solution with what you currently offer + "fair price and not overpowered but better than stock" backbox speakers would be nice.

20190512_221846 (resized).jpg20190512_221846 (resized).jpg

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Started the assembly finally.
    As I am using britebuttons which also run on 12V, I will be taking it from there.
    A full solution with what you currently offer + "fair price and not overpowered but better than stock" backbox speakers would be nice.
    [quoted image]

I agree and we are working to identify a reasonably priced backbox speaker solution for the wide array of pins.

Thank you for the suggestion!

#233 4 years ago

Just placed my order for JJP POTC LE!

#234 4 years ago

PinWoofer headquarters has been busy creating the ultimate dual amplifier kit, complete with backbox speakers and full range mono/stereo backbox amp.

We'll be offering this kit with turnkey 12v power cables (plug and play) for all modern platforms. Pictured is SAM and we'll move on to WPC/CGC/JJP/Spike-1/Spike-2 in the coming days.

Dual amp customer feedback are consistent in terms of high sound quality and sound intensity.

Thank you

SAMSuperKit (resized).jpgSAMSuperKit (resized).jpg
    #235 4 years ago

Woo glad you got the power cables plug and play. Can’t wait to install my backbox speakers and amp in IMDN. It needs it badly now that the sub is upgraded.

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

PinWoofer headquarters has been busy creating the ultimate dual amplifier kit, complete with backbox speakers and full range mono/stereo backbox amp.
    We'll be offering this kit with turnkey 12v power cables (plug and play) for all modern platforms. Pictured is SAM and we'll move on to WPC/CGC/JJP/Spike-1/Spike-2 in the coming days.
    Dual amp customer feedback are consistent in terms of high sound quality and sound intensity.
    Thank you
    [quoted image]

My Metallica arrives this week. Can’t wait to try out one of your kits when available!

#237 4 years ago

Looking forward to the dual amplifier kit for Spike-2 tables so I can upgrade my Iron Maiden table. Just so I understand it correctly, there won't be any need for extra power to the table?

#238 4 years ago

In case anyone is wondering, I just installed a full range setup in my Metallica LE and my new Iron Maiden Premium. In both of these setups I used the Flipper Fidelity full range 10 inch and 5 1/4 head speakers with PinWoofer amps in both the head and cabinet. Both of these amps are set to full range due to me not running a subwoofer in the cabinet but using the 3way 10". I also added in an external 10" polk powered sub to catch the lower frequencies where the 10" FF drops off...this setup sounds incredible! Dan has been superb throughout with his customer service as this setup wasn't as straight forward as most.

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

My Metallica arrives this week. Can’t wait to try out one of your kits when available!

Nice! (But a little jealous!)

#240 4 years ago
    Quoted from malklavious:

Looking forward to the dual amplifier kit for Spike-2 tables so I can upgrade my Iron Maiden table. Just so I understand it correctly, there won't be any need for extra power to the table?

Put a super kit my Maiden today at PinWoofer HQ. I'm adding teflon spacers and Brad Hole T-Nuts to the kit to ease backbox speaker installation. It's thumping good now - time to play!

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from ulmpharmd:

wasn't as straight forward as most

This guy is over the top!

1 week later
    #242 4 years ago

Chalk another one up for a happy customer on one of your superkits!

Put it on my MET and its awesome!

Short story of my audio journey for this pin:
    Tried pinball pro, had muffled out highs and vocals, tried diy, that fucked up the audio on the cpu board somehow (sucked big time), got new cpu board. Finally installed a superkit and couldn't be happier!

No need for an external sub as the amp and woofer is PLENTY! No lack of bass on this setup trust me on that! Backbox speakers are CLEAR no matter how low or high the volume is! Can hear sounds I didn't on the pp kit ans sooo much clearer!

Dan the Man is a great guy to work with. Super friendly and super responsive to any questions asked. Completely happy and totally stoked with the superkit and the support I got.

I seriously recommend this kit, no joke its awesome and my MET sounds amazing with audio power like I have never heard coming from a pin! Totally worth it and I HIGHLY recommend it!

You knocked it out of the park on this one Dan, thanks!

#243 4 years ago

Installed the amp kit into my Iron Maiden PRO that already had Flipper Fidelity 10" woofer and back box speakers. The difference in bass at low volume (15) was immediately apparent as I dialed up the amp!

Now I'm working on getting the levels mixed in so the sound effects don't over power the music (especially the left loop effect and the tomb opening). Does anyone have any suggestion for settings? I'm playing a bit with the Music / Voice attenuation but still trying to find a sweet spot. Does the Voice Attenuation affect both the sound effects and the voice call-outs? My perfect sound would be: dominant music, good voice call-outs, lowered sound effects.

#244 4 years ago

I know that ulmpharmd has the same sub driver as you've got, malklavious , so he might be able to provide some tips that are specific to that 10" round. Our 10" sub is completely different, but I'll see if I have another similar install to refer you to for another opinion.

In the mean time the menu adjustments offer bass/treble independently for the backbox/cab. If you change the speaker impedance in the menu please do so at very low volume since the power transfer of the sound board completely changes, and not doing so can result in a massive overpower condition to the drivers (depending on which direction you are going).

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Thank you
    [quoted image]

Hi! Just saw this thread since i started looking for options for my X-files machine. Sega only gave x-files one speaker in the back box area, which i would like to add to and update also under the PF. Do you have anything that would be compatible with this machine?

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheTenderTilt:

Hi! Just saw this thread since i started looking for options for my X-files machine. Sega only gave x-files one speaker in the back box area, which i would like to add to and update also under the PF. Do you have anything that would be compatible with this machine?

Yep, easy - can you post photos of the backbox and cab speaker(s). thx

#247 4 years ago

FINALLY getting a chance to install my full amp and woofer kit to our Pinball Magic. Woofer is currently installed - and a HUGE difference already. Adding the amplifier will take a bit of additional time, but if it goes as well as it did for Monster Bash, this game is going to sound outstanding!

#248 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Yep, easy - can you post photos of the backbox and cab speaker(s). thx

Here’s some shots of the one speaker and place for a second, as well as board.

11A4493A-EF45-45D1-8C48-17C3B2A310CC (resized).jpeg11A4493A-EF45-45D1-8C48-17C3B2A310CC (resized).jpegD036925F-7B16-4958-8858-9BDC32BF113B (resized).jpegD036925F-7B16-4958-8858-9BDC32BF113B (resized).jpegDCD66C44-F027-49D2-99A9-8B1B8B1A1ABF (resized).jpegDCD66C44-F027-49D2-99A9-8B1B8B1A1ABF (resized).jpeg91C51C88-E302-44A6-B2C9-088E6884FE71 (resized).jpeg91C51C88-E302-44A6-B2C9-088E6884FE71 (resized).jpeg
    #249 4 years ago

I just installed the full backbox and woofer kit in my Met Prem and it sounds fantastic! The installation was a bit time consuming, but Dan is great to work with and was extremely patient with my dumb questions. Totally worth it. This is one of the best upgrades you can do—particularly on a music pin.

3 weeks later
    #250 4 years ago

Finished up installing the Super Kit from PinWoofer in my VE AC/DC. The sound is so much better that you need to hear one in person to really appreciate it. Install was straight forward, took probably an hour or so. Power to the amps is supplied by the accessory plug in the right side of the cabinet. I'm super happy with the sound, and Dan was checking on the install along the way to make sure everything went well. Really great dealing with them. Will probably be ordering another kit for Metallica.

IMG_5294 (resized).jpgIMG_5294 (resized).jpg
    There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-amplified-subwoofer-kits-by-pinwoofer/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.