(Topic ID: 239060)

NEW - Full Pin Audio System by PinWoofer!

By PinWoofer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 704 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by PinStalker
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KOP Freq Char (resized).jpg
    KOP (resized).jpg
    PW-DVC-4X2 (resized).jpg
    PW-DVC-4X2 (resized).jpg
    PinWoofer PW-4 Speaker Pair with Box (resized).jpg
    PinWoofer PW-4 Specifications (resized).jpg
    PW-525 Spec Sheet (resized).jpg
    PW-525 Speaker Pair with Box (resized).jpg
    PW Speaker Line (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    06FAC8AF-B022-4CD7-9EBC-6EE34988A3CD.gif
    Jeff 1 (resized).jpg
    Jeff 2 (resized).jpg
    Pinwoofer logo (resized).png
    2 (resized).jpeg
    2022-01-19 17.29.44 (resized).jpg
    There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 15.
    #551 2 years ago

Pinwoofer speakers are made in china. You can buy them for -/+ 15 usd.

You can say what you want but the quality is just crap. Its a shame, but there is nothing to do about it. Bye pinwoofer and be happy with the 350 bux

#552 2 years ago
    Quoted from Munsters:

Bye pinwoofer and be happy with the 350 bux

Munsters - by your own account the system functioned and the contents are clearly itemized on our website listing. You did not like it and here is what you had to say "Yes, it works 100% and sure got more bass and treble but for me it doesn’t do it.".

We've gone back and forth via email (talking about re-selling it in the Netherlands, and more) but this is where I see things after my last unanswered email on the 14th (condensed) "Ship it back to us...keep the speakers with our compliments and return just the harness, amplifier, power board and expander board. This will greatly lower the return shipping cost and you can enjoy the speakers".

The above offer is still good.

I feel like we are losing something major in translation. I'll give you a call on Monday and we can sort it out.

#553 2 years ago
    Quoted from Munsters:

Unfortunately the pinwoofer kits are poor chinese quality.
    See https://flipperfidelity.com/stern-10-3-way-speaker-system-le-spike-2-pro-and-premium/
    It’s cheaper and better!

...and definitely not Chinese.

#554 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...and definitely not Chinese.

No? Ohh, please explain wich country it is then, thnx!

588BEE0C-DFDC-463F-8F3E-60315767E406 (resized).jpeg588BEE0C-DFDC-463F-8F3E-60315767E406 (resized).jpeg
    #555 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Munsters - by your own account the system functioned and the contents are clearly itemized on our website listing. You did not like it and here is what you had to say "Yes, it works 100% and sure got more bass and treble but for me it doesn’t do it.".
    We've gone back and forth via email (talking about re-selling it in the Netherlands, and more) but this is where I see things after my last unanswered email on the 14th (condensed) "Ship it back to us...keep the speakers with our compliments and return just the harness, amplifier, power board and expander board. This will greatly lower the return shipping cost and you can enjoy the speakers".
    The above offer is still good.
    I feel like we are losing something major in translation. I'll give you a call on Monday and we can sort it out.

We can discuss this but let's start with you responding to my emails from a few days ago. Thnx!

#556 2 years ago
    Quoted from Munsters:

No? Ohh, please explain wich country it is then, thnx![quoted image]

Your ability to detect sarcasm in a forum post is lacking. I was making the point that FF speakers are also made in China, and I didn't think I really needed to include the little sarcasm guy, but I've added him now for your benefit. Thanks for the downvote, buddy!

#557 2 years ago

Are any speakers under $500 not made in China? In any event, if all you want is the speakers, great. Go nuts. These kits are engineered to make the games sound fantastic—no easy task with the crappy acoustics of pinball cabinets. It’s much more than just speakers.

In my opinion, Dan offers a great product which is far superior to Flipper Fidelity and priced accordingly. And customer service is top-notch.

#558 2 years ago
    Quoted from Munsters:

We can discuss this but let's start with you responding to my emails from a few days ago. Thnx!

PinWoofer systems are all about the amplification and equalization! Focusing on the Pyle speakers and where they are made is really missing the point.

I have the 1st generation Pinwoofer amps in many of my rock and roll pins - Pinwoofer brought these games to life. Huge improvement. Dan's design and attention to detail are impressive.

I have the current generation Pinwoofer system in my STTNG and it didn't have nearly the impact as my other games. I think it's because the "source" audio doesn't shine with upgraded gear. Dan worked with me to dial it in, but I'm still disappointed in the result. I don't fault Dan or his product, I just think PinWoofers effectiveness depends on what audio samples are on the game. The older the game, the more likely you will be disappointed. On the newer Stern games, I've never been disappointed...

#559 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Your ability to detect sarcasm in a forum post is lacking. I was making the point that FF speakers are also made in China, and I didn't think I really needed to include the little sarcasm guy, but I've added him now for your benefit. Thanks for the downvote, buddy!

Ohh, ur making jokes! Sorry, missed that! Funny guy

#560 2 years ago

I’ve had a lot of interaction with Dan. His customer service is next to none. You can’t make everyone happy. Unfortunately some people are going to whine, regardless of the situation.

#561 2 years ago
    Quoted from Munsters:

Ohh, ur making jokes! Sorry, missed that! Funny guy

Nope. I was making a point. But again...it went over your head.

#562 2 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

PinWoofer systems are all about the amplification and equalization! Focusing on the Pyle speakers and where they are made is really missing the point.
    I have the 1st generation Pinwoofer amps in many of my rock and roll pins - Pinwoofer brought these games to life. Huge improvement. Dan's design and attention to detail are impressive.
    I have the current generation Pinwoofer system in my STTNG and it didn't have nearly the impact as my other games. I think it's because the "source" audio doesn't shine with upgraded gear. Dan worked with me to dial it in, but I'm still disappointed in the result. I don't fault Dan or his product, I just think PinWoofers effectiveness depends on what audio samples are on the game. The older the game, the more likely you will be disappointed. On the newer Stern games, I've never been disappointed...

Hey snaroff ! We talked about swapping STTNG to another title (i.e. Led Zeppelin if you went through with it). This is easy to do and we can pursure that if / when you are ready - just let me know!

2 weeks later
    #563 2 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

I’ve bought kits from the other big audio names in pinball and they just don’t compare to this.
    Also, Dan is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met in pinball. He constantly followed up with me to make sure that I was happy with how each of my games sounded.
    Buy with confidence! Apologize to your wallet later.

Your experience echos mine. Had one of Dan’s first kits and keep going back for more! Great product and unbeatable customer service!!

#564 2 years ago

PinWoofer is the best sound upgrade system I’ve tried so far. Speaker replacements alone do not come close to matching the sound quality upgrade achieved with the entire kit, and I’ve tried several brands of expensive speakers NOT made in China (as well as other packaged upgrade products). It’s the matched components of the PinWoofer system that make the difference. I’m picky about what I spend my money on, and I’d buy a PinWoofer kit again any time.

2 weeks later
    #565 2 years ago

I'm considering getting Pinwoofer for my new GOTG Pro, I'm already planning on replacing the stock 350W PSU with a 500W but I'm confused about how Pinwoofer is powered. It looks like it's powered off the main 48v PSU and not it's own power supply. What are the power requirements? I'm adding a lot of mods to mine which is why I'm swapping the 350W for 500W as to now need to add an additional power supply for mods but if the Pinwoofer is using 200W backbox and 800W subwoofer, what current does the amp pull from the pin's system?

Obviously it works, I'm just not understanding the situation. I'm adding several dozen watts of LEDs and mods and figure the stock 350W might be a bit slim. The Prem/LE has 500W so I figure that's enough for my mods. But surely the Pinwoofer amp is capable of some significant power draw? How does that work out?

#566 2 years ago

If you contact Dan directly, he loves to help out with his product. Very helpful and easy to get hold of. Contact info on his website

#567 2 years ago

Just installed a set on my Mandalorian Pro and like on my Turtles Pro, sounds absolutely amazing. Dan's service, as many have said above, is second to none!

Will continue to support as I believe in the product and looking forward to splurging on a further set if the rumour's of a Rush pin being Borg's next are true!

#568 2 years ago
    Quoted from JPloof:

Just installed a set on my Mandalorian Pro and like on my Turtles Pro, sounds absolutely amazing. Dan's service, as many have said above, is second to none!
    Will continue to support as I believe in the product and looking forward to splurging on a further set if the rumour's of a Rush pin being Borg's next are true!

Sweeet!!! Great news JPloof !

#569 2 years ago
    Quoted from OhmEye:

I'm considering getting Pinwoofer for my new GOTG Pro, I'm already planning on replacing the stock 350W PSU with a 500W but I'm confused about how Pinwoofer is powered. It looks like it's powered off the main 48v PSU and not it's own power supply. What are the power requirements? I'm adding a lot of mods to mine which is why I'm swapping the 350W for 500W as to now need to add an additional power supply for mods but if the Pinwoofer is using 200W backbox and 800W subwoofer, what current does the amp pull from the pin's system?
    Obviously it works, I'm just not understanding the situation. I'm adding several dozen watts of LEDs and mods and figure the stock 350W might be a bit slim. The Prem/LE has 500W so I figure that's enough for my mods. But surely the Pinwoofer amp is capable of some significant power draw? How does that work out?

Hey OhmEye - the PinWoofer power solution works perfectly with the stock 48V supply.

What power supply are you considering migrating to, and are you sure its needed? My advice is to use extreme caution and if you are not 100% certain as to what you are doing, abort.

I start thining of things like the rating of the machine's main fuse, wire gauges, the main power switch, any UL / CE ratings, how the power system was designed, the power node board and its compatability with some new supply, maybe more.

Apologies, but I won't be able to advise you further on a power supply change and I would not want you to install a PinWoofer system on a power supply we have not tested.

Happy to talk more - maybe a phone call would be easiest.

#570 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Hey OhmEye - the PinWoofer power solution works perfectly with the stock 48V supply.
    What power supply are you considering migrating to, and are you sure its needed? My advice is to use extreme caution and if you are not 100% certain as to what you are doing, abort.
    I start thining of things like the rating of the machine's main fuse, wire gauges, the main power switch, any UL / CE ratings, how the power system was designed, the power node board and its compatability with some new supply, maybe more.
    Apologies, but I won't be able to advise you further on a power supply change and I would not want you to install a PinWoofer system on a power supply we have not tested.
    Happy to talk more - maybe a phone call would be easiest.

My plan is to just swap the 350W for the Meanwell 500W version of the same PSU, the same specs as what the stock Prem/LE use. Basicially putting a Prem/LE PSU in the Pro for 150W more headroom. I figure expecting the PSU to power an additional 100W of LED mods may not be a great idea. But lets forget that for now and let's say I'm not adding any other mods at all or changing the power supply, and adding Pinwoofer to a totally stock GOTG Pro...

The stock PSU is 350W. The Pinwoofer amp is 50x50x100W, so 200W total audio power. That's more than half the power rating of the 350W power supply. I can't imagine the rest of the entire pin draws less than 150W, so why doesn't this blow any fuse or brown out the PSU if the volume is cranked up? I know it all obviously works and people love your product but I'm just looking to understand WHY it doesn't exceed the watts available, blow any fuses or cause any problems! This is really just for my own education to understand why adding such a high-power mod doesn't exceed the stock power limits. Most modding shops recommend and offer supplemental AC adapters or buck converters to power mods without exceeding stock power so I'm not understanding how the stock PSU has up to 200W to spare for powering a Pinwoofer amp.

Again, I'm not questioning that it works, and people are happily using Pinwoofer in their stock Stern pins, I just want to understand how, and why it's not an issue!

#571 2 years ago

Dan, thanks so much for the great phone conversation and taking the time to answer all my questions with details of how the Pinwoofer system is powered and integrated with the Spike2 audio system! I appreciate the education and now I understand how it works and I have a high appreciation of the design and attention to detail. I definitely expect to be ordering a system from you soon!

#572 2 years ago
    Quoted from OhmEye:

Dan, thanks so much for the great phone conversation

The man is more than a mod maker, he knows audio and electronics more than anyone else I know! Glad y’all touched base

#573 2 years ago

I would second that about Dan. I’ve ordered many kits from Dan, and he really knows his stuff. I’ve learnt a lot from him.

Bruce

#574 2 years ago
    Quoted from brucea1956:

I would second that about Dan. I’ve ordered many kits from Dan, and he really knows his stuff. I’ve learnt a lot from him.
    Bruce

Even a stopped clock is right twice per day

#575 2 years ago

I would third the sentiment. Great guy but never leaves his house to come visit me.

1 week later
    #576 2 years ago

Hmm, this seems interesting.

1 week later
    #577 2 years ago

PinWoofer is pleased to introduce our new Knockout Amplifier (aka the "KO") . The KO has been released to Spike and JJP platforms and is now available at PinWoofer.com.

The KO is a smaller format compared to our GT amplifier and removes some of the features that are not highly useful in the modern Spike and JJP platforms. Specifically, the KO removes a few features in the pre-amplifier stage that includes auto-muting, GT electronics, studio level line-out and the differential input with gain control. These features remain highly useful for earlier platforms so the KO will not be made available for WPC, WPC95, Data East, Sega / Sega Whitestar, Stern Whitestar and SAM. These earlier platforms will continue to be serviced by the GT amplifier. Please note that the KO has the same final amplifier stages compared to the GT and has the same output power capabilities. Choose your amplifier option at check-out.

If your goal is to dramatically improve the sound field of your title, the KO will provide an amazing audio upgrade. For most of PinWoofer's customers our internal / self contained solution is more than adequate to meet needs so the KO solution will provide what you'll need to get a great result with little effort!

On a final note there were two goals for the KO. The first was to simplify the system and offer an amplifier more appropriate to the modern platforms mentioned above. The second was to reduce the cost and pass this savings along to our customers. The former was achieved. The latter was partially achieved; due to an unprecedented and constrained supply chain and unexpected increases in our cost of goods sold, we have increased the base price of the GT. Fortunately the cost of the KO, while not reduced to the level we had initially hoped, is currently $45 less than the GT. So, if you have recently ordered a GT kit your purchase price was similar to that of the KO.

Thank you for your support!

#578 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

PinWoofer is pleased to introduce our new Knockout Amplifier (aka the "KO") . The KO has been released to Spike and JJP platforms and is now available at PinWoofer.com.

What's the reasoning on JJP machines behind using that mini-board to get power for the amplifier vs just grabbing power straight from the ATX power supply with a common ATX connector molex splitter? Seems a lot messier and prone to failure...but maybe there's some reason I'm not aware of.

#579 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

What's the reasoning on JJP machines behind using that mini-board to get power for the amplifier vs just grabbing power straight from the ATX power supply with a common ATX connector molex splitter? Seems a lot messier and prone to failure...but maybe there's some reason I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the question. Not all power sources are created equal; ATX supplies are incredibly noisy and not suitable for audio (I'm surprised you proposed this). Our solution is highly reliable as proven by our large install base. Turnkey, quiet power.

#580 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Thanks for the question. Not all power sources are created equal; ATX supplies are incredibly noisy and not suitable for audio (I'm surprised you proposed this). Our solution is highly reliable as proven by our large install base. Turnkey, quiet power.

I assumed the amp had a power filter that could handle it. Thanks for the response.

#581 2 years ago

I think I’m gonna need one for my Jurassic park!

#582 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I assumed the amp had a power filter that could handle it. Thanks for the response.

Yeah, we've got a ton of low ESR bypass cap for beats and a snubber, but these don't address the audible digital noise from the PC which is random and broad band. Using the ATX GND and at the same time, the Earth / signal GND, even though the GND for the ATX is somewhere tied to the chassis (Earth), by audio definitions, will create a ground loop and you'll hear it. (We tried it.) So, we went a different direction with the power. Grounding issues are a nightmare to deal with in audio and we chose something that would be reliable in the field, and we 100% hit our mark on quiet power. So, there is a ton of engineering effort put into our PS. Hope that makes sense. We can chat offline since this is getting pretty technical.

#583 2 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

I think I’m gonna need one for my Jurassic park!

Hey paynemic ! We can help you with that!

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-spike-super-kit/

#584 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

So, there is a ton of engineering effort put into our PS. Hope that makes sense. We can chat offline since this is getting pretty technical.

I don't think people are put off by a technical discussion, especially in a dedicated thread.

#585 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

The KO is a smaller format compared to our GT amplifier and removes some of the features that are not highly useful in the modern Spike and JJP platforms. Specifically, the KO removes a few features in the pre-amplifier stage that includes auto-muting, GT electronics, studio level line-out and the differential input with gain control. These features remain highly useful for earlier platforms so the KO will not be made available for WPC, WPC95, Data East, Sega / Sega Whitestar, Stern Whitestar and SAM. These earlier platforms will continue to be serviced by the GT amplifier. Please note that the KO has the same final amplifier stages compared to the GT and has the same output power capabilities. Choose your amplifier option at check-out.
    If your goal is to dramatically improve the sound field of your title, the KO will provide an amazing audio upgrade. For most of PinWoofer's customers our internal / self contained solution is more than adequate to meet needs so the KO solution will provide what you'll need to get a great result with little effort!
    On a final note there were two goals for the KO. The first was to simplify the system and offer an amplifier more appropriate to the modern platforms mentioned above. The second was to reduce the cost and pass this savings along to our customers. The former was achieved. The latter was partially achieved; due to an unprecedented and constrained supply chain and unexpected increases in our cost of goods sold, we have increased the base price of the GT. Fortunately the cost of the KO, while not reduced to the level we had initially hoped, is currently $45 less than the GT. So, if you have recently ordered a GT kit your purchase price was similar to that of the KO.

Curious about that smaller form factor. Got a picture of the KO vs original?

#586 2 years ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

Curious about that smaller form factor. Got a picture of the KO vs original?

Hey daveyvandy ! Here you go.

GT KO Back (resized).jpgGT KO Back (resized).jpgGT and KO Amplifiers (resized).jpgGT and KO Amplifiers (resized).jpg
    #587 2 years ago

Time to place another order!

#588 2 years ago
    Quoted from brucea1956:

Time to place another order!

brucea1956 - can't wait to hear what you're up to!

#589 2 years ago

Just wanted to post here that Dan took care of me on a hardware issue. So buy with confidence, great communication and support.
    Also the system sounds fantastic on Mando!

#590 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:PinWoofer is pleased to introduce our new Knockout Amplifier (aka the "KO") . The KO has been released to Spike and JJP platforms and is now available at PinWoofer.com.

So if i just ordered a gt about a week ago and expected to recieve today (tuesday). Can i send it back and get the ko?

#591 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead007:

So if i just ordered a gt about a week ago and expected to recieve today (tuesday). Can i send it back and get the ko?

There would be no point since you got into the GT prior to the price increase. If this does not make sense please give me a call.

Thanks,

Dan
    208-855-0346

#592 2 years ago

Great lookin new product! Will be ordering for Godzilla, if and when its officially announced.

#593 2 years ago

I was a beta tester for Pinwoofer’s new KO board and I am extremely impressed!

I installed it on my JJPOTC and the results are every bit as good as Dan’s other products. The sound quality is superb, the bass is thumpin’, and as many others have said, the best part is that you hear sounds you’ve never heard before out of the stock sound setup.

Installation was simple. Everything is well laid out and labeled for an easy install. I'm also a fan of the smaller form factor.

I have a Dialed In with the Pinwoofer GT amp next to the JJPOTC with KO board. The sound quality is equally impressive coming out of both games!

Looks like another homerun from Dan and the Pinwoofer Team!

#594 2 years ago
    Quoted from dgposter:

I installed it on my JJPOTC and the results are every bit as good as Dan’s other products. The sound quality is superb, the bass is thumpin’, and as many others have said, the best part is that you hear sounds you’ve never heard before out of the stock sound setup.
    Installation was simple. Everything is well laid out and labeled for an easy install. I'm also a fan of the smaller form factor.
    I have a Dialed In with the Pinwoofer GT amp next to the JJPOTC with KO board. The sound quality is equally impressive coming out of both games!

Great update dgposter - thanks for taking the time to summarize!

#595 2 years ago
    Quoted from dgposter:

Totally agree. I have a KO kit in Wonka as well as AIQ and ending up shooting install footage for both kits. I really like the smaller form factor as well. I stream pinball frequently and it is great to have a steady line into the computer while being able to adjust the speaker volume separately from the system volume. Be sure to check out the JJP tweeter upgrade as well especially if you have a GnR.

JJP KO kit install video:

Spike 2 KO kit install video:

#596 2 years ago
    Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

Totally agree. I have a KO kit in Wonka as well as AIQ and ending up shooting install footage for both kits. I really like the smaller form factor as well. I stream pinball frequently and it is great to have a steady line into the computer while being able to adjust the speaker volume separately from the system volume. Be sure to check out the JJP tweeter upgrade as well especially if you have a GnR.

Amazing videos HurryUpPinball - great work!

#597 2 years ago
    Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

So the new KO still allows an audio out for direct audio?

#598 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

So the new KO still allows an audio out for direct audio?

Hey Flynnyfalcon !

For the KO on JJP, we offer a 3-way TRS (3.5mm mini-jack) line out splitter so that you can simultaneously run the KO amp, an external sub and a set of external stage or A/V monitors.

For most Spike-2 titles (after Star Wars), the KO has an audio connection that provides an output signal for an externally powered subwoofer. The TRS line splitter can also be used to extend / split the Spike KO.

For streaming applications requiring an impedance of 600Ohm to 10KOhm a split signal should work fine.

Most of the powered external stuff we have here at the shop run fine with the above. However, please note that in some cases your external equipment may not receive adequate signal drive to develop the desired volume intensity from these split signals. Therefore, the KO accesories supports externals as something you can try and likely have success, but you may need to add an extra pre-amp or other solution to make your external equipment work.

The GT has the studio level line-out (+10dBV) with much higher drive so most externals will get more than adequate signal.

For those who are content with our internal solution only, the KO will meet needs.

It really depends on what your goals are and I hope the above helps to answer your question.

I can give you a call there is Melbourne if you want to come up with a specific solution based upon your goals.

Thanks,

Dan

#599 2 years ago

Hope we can make the already good Aliens better. Have not heard anyone complain on the stock.

#600 2 years ago

Okay...so if I wanted to get the best system you've got for my next game, what would it be? The KO or the GT?

There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-amplified-subwoofer-kits-by-pinwoofer/page/12?hl=pinhead007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.