Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 583 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by Jecco74
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

200w (11).gif
    20240210_114505 (resized).jpg
    20240210_114517 (resized).jpg
    415157679_1766508620502439_2781082452547314040_n (resized).jpg
    415018431_755795222648496_6013202029569574460_n (resized).jpg
    ALI Repro lead forming (resized).jpg
    al bar 1 (resized).jpg
    Parts for build right (resized).jpg
    Parts for build main PCBs (resized).jpg
    Parts for build bottom (resized).jpg
    Parts for build left (resized).jpg
    Parts for build all (resized).jpg
    ALI Line Em Up Display (resized).jpg
    20230423_124353 (resized).jpg
    20230423_124328 (resized).jpg
    20230423_124136 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#143 1 year ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

Thanks for that, good to know there is at least a little interest.
    If the pcb is made smaller how does reducing height (by approx 1/4) and/or reducing width of pcb outside edge connectors effect mounting pcb and fitting J4-J6 connectors if they were slightly lower?

As I recall the bottom is held in place by the connectors. The top is held in place by plastic clips. If the board is shorter then those clips will need to be relocated down so they can hold the shorter MPU board.

If anyone is missing the plastic clips I made a replacement and posted it up on thingiverse.com

1 month later
    #166 1 year ago

Not sure if you had seen this but it looks like there is another possible option for the 6532 replacement. May just need a different ROM and use this:

https://lisy.dev/gosomu-repair-your-original-gottlieb-soundboard.html

3 months later
    #192 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

So after some research, I've found a couple guys that can do this on another cpu rather easy. Spoke to one Sunday, and can program a PRock board to do this for minimal costs, and even do additional lighting, and sound programming to enhance the game, or leave as is. I'll update, as I find out more, but looks like I'll have my Eros one up sooner than later.

If you go that route you can modify some of the Jamma Finger boards and plug those into the original connectors in the game and solder to those. That way you can plug an original board later if you want.

#195 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

Great idea, do you have a lead on those so I can get started on that part?

Just search on eBay for mamma finger board and lots will come up.

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

So Trident pinball will be my go to guy for the conversion, and revival process. Here's his link on Pinside, and he said you could contact him about your table, and needs.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1431-trident-pinball-homebrew/07233-diy-homebrew-kit
    He does a lot of homebrew stuff like myself, and Earnie is a good guy to talk to. Hope this helps out to get those Allied tables back going again, I'll start moving forward on mine once I finish up my custom homebrew table.

I used to have an EROS I and was looking at alternative brains until I fixed the original MPU.

If I had to do something again today I would look towards the Arduino. I think there is a generic version of the Arduino controller. Should be considerably less that something that requires a PC. There is more information on this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arduino-pinball-controller

1 week later
    #207 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

Does anyone on here know where I can get my hands on schematics for an eros one pin?

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3738

You can also check each of the other Allied Leisure machines for better schematics.

4 months later
    #309 1 year ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

Had a busy day with other obligations today. Still managed to get some time in assembling. Here is where I got up to.
    [quoted image]
    I still need to make up the cables needed for them but the leds and display segments all meter ok. I had to use some cutdown spare jamma connectors (don't judge), since I have not been able to grab any 25pin edge connectors at a reasonable price yet. I realised after stopping for today that I need to make a second player display to do a proper game test on the workbench. I will make that tomorrow and start making up the cables while I wait on the order for the remaining parts. All Looking good so far.

That looks fantastic! Great job on all of those. I no longer have any ALI machines but there are a lot of people that really need these to get their games running again.

1 week later
    #363 1 year ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

I have not heard back yet about the sale prices in the post. Anyone know if this is acceptable or more importantly is it is not (and I should not post any more prices or shipping costs in this thread), or have suggestions on what to do with moving forward on posting prices and shipping costs?
    I have been going through the wiring diagrams I have been able to find online for each game. I want to see which switches are used the same in all games and which swap around or are not used on certain games. For example, outhole, ball in play are common while left and right thumper bumper and slingshots are swapped in some games.
    I have info for Take Five (possibly same as Disco 79), Hearts and Spades, Roy Clark, Star Shooter. I do not have anything for Eros 1, Hoe Down, Thunderbolt, Getaway, Circa 1933.
    If you are able to help and have a machine, wiring diagram or know the test mode switch numbers and matching playfield switch for specific games, it would be great if you could post them. A bit more time consuming to record, however, I think the switch numbers are also printed on the bottom of the playfield next to each switch.
    Once I have the info I will put it into a table and post it. This will help with people troubleshooting individual games. It will help when I start looking at the code to try and add an attract mode. Here is a quick copy from part of it. Once the full logic flow is worked out people could even make their own playfields to suit the ALI game code.
    [quoted image]
    I have also started to put together a troubleshooting table that I will be sharing. For each switch, lamp or coil driver, it lists all components and IC pin numbers from PIA/RIOT to the connector pin.
    The current 1st spin prototype was running on the bench over the weekend and now for over 3 days continuously in burn-in test mode and it is still running happily. I am in the workshop today hoping to do some work on the other projects (so I can place the next pcb order), so I will stop the burn-in testing.

I used to have a Thunderbolt with all the original paperwork. Sold it to a friend of mine and can ask if he can help with the details on that game. I don't think many of those still exist.

#366 1 year ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

Thanks, something is going on with Coin #3.
    It reads all switches in test mode, but in game mode Coin #3 does not credit. I have checked the pcb schematic and wiring and jumpers on the pcb and everything is correct. I can see the game code reads the switch when it is pressed, the game over lamp blinking changes.
    I have had the scope on the Coin #3 pins through the buffers and on the appropriate PIA and RIOT pins and the signal looks ok and is the same as the other Coin inputs, which work. Have been looking at the code and not spotted anything yet.
    All game play appears ok and every other switch, lamp, coil and setting appears to work as expected.
    I went and tested an original board in the same test setup and it works. So need to look into it more and figure it out.

Not sure if it applies but on that Thunderbolt my friend wanted it to take accept quarters. One credit per quarter. I set all the jumpers properly but it would always give two credits per quarter. After looking it over closerly I saw that one of the jumpers was shorting the #1 line to the #2 line. Once I moved it so it didn't short the two it worked as expected. Not obvious right away.

4 months later
    #456 9 months ago
    Quoted from natgreystar:

I found an Eros One recently and it's in amazing condition but play is finicky. It worked but after moving it from the workshop to its game room home I have issues. I went looking and found this thread. All of the original parts on mine are in great condition including the displays so I'd love to just swap out the MPU and not have to worry about this thing going bad on me. I haven't finished restoration on it but it would be awesome to guarantee it won't die off and actually play flawlessly before I finish up.
    Sent a PM. Hope I can get a repro board.

If it runs you may just need some service on the original boards. For starters it will probably need the large capacitor replaced on the MPU for the 5V supply. also check/verify power on the MPU and the rest of the voltages.

#466 9 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

Do you think it's possible to replace that board for a newer 5v power supply? Like a meanwell?

You can but check the original first. If you have 5v then you may not need to change it.

If you do change the power supply be very careful and don’t just go by wire colors. Check the actual connections and where they go. On an EROS 1 that I bought years ago someone had bypassed the original power supply and connected a replacement 5V supply. But they assumed that the colors meant positive and negative and as a result wired it reverse polarity and cooked the custom IC’s. I did find another MPU that I repaired and then went back to the original power supply.

4 months later
    #492 4 months ago
    Quoted from mappy_mouse:

Also no response to PM'S.

Does anyone know if he is ok? I know he was active on the arcade forums too. I ended up getting a set of NOP adapters from him off of there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-allied-leisure-mpu?tu=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.