Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 595 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 minutes ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

200w (11).gif
    20240210_114505 (resized).jpg
    20240210_114517 (resized).jpg
    415157679_1766508620502439_2781082452547314040_n (resized).jpg
    415018431_755795222648496_6013202029569574460_n (resized).jpg
    ALI Repro lead forming (resized).jpg
    al bar 1 (resized).jpg
    Parts for build right (resized).jpg
    Parts for build main PCBs (resized).jpg
    Parts for build bottom (resized).jpg
    Parts for build left (resized).jpg
    Parts for build all (resized).jpg
    ALI Line Em Up Display (resized).jpg
    20230423_124353 (resized).jpg
    20230423_124328 (resized).jpg
    20230423_124136 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CoreyStup.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 5 years ago

I have lots of parts for Allied. Lots of MPU boards, the custom 6530's (tested/working). I have large original schematics too. Those scaled down copies are awful.

I've parted out several playfields and have one working game left (Take Five).

Let me know if anyone needs anything.

My opinion on a replacement boardset is to just do away with the whole wiring arrangement and start over. Trying to stay compatible to the cabinet wiring - the 3 large 25 pin edge connectors plus the 3 oddball (NLA) AMP connectors for coils is just silly. Once a game is converted over there's not going to be any reason to go back to the factory MPU. If if were me, I'd make it compatible to the harness thats on the playfield (they were made to be easily swapped) and go from there. Or go with a playfield-mounted electronics (something like OPP's small boards http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/OPP or FAST's setup) to read switches and drive lamps directly. Backwards compatibility makes no sense once a replacement setup is installed. The biggest pain is that the lamps and switches both are non matrixed. Lots of I/O. Then again, the playfields are small and simple.

#32 5 years ago

The lamp driver IC's are long obsolete and do fail. 75492's, I think - I can't remember.

The reset circuitry is not great. I usually install a Dallas/Maxim reset IC to upgrade it.

A plug in CPU socket module could be developed but the overall board quality isn't great so you're then stuck with that. Especially the early "E" series boards, the "H" series are better. 2 of the 3 mask programmed 6530's are also used as I/O, so those would need to have an adapter made for those as well (likely adapting to a 6821 and then driving accordingly in the new CPU software).

If I'm rewriting the software I'd just as soon have better hardware and boards to run it on...

3 years later
    #196 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

program a PRock board to do this

They'll still need to adapt the p-roc with electronics to handle the non matrixed switches and lamps. The displays likely will need some conditioning too.

Seems like a lot of hardware ($ cost) for a simple Allied cocktail game.

#199 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I'll sink about $400 in a machine I have nothing in at the moment, and have a modernized very nice machine.

- PC
    - p-roc
    - adapter PCB with stuffed components for switch conditioning and/or lamp drivers. Best bet is have the adapter PCB also have the card edge fingers on it rather than wiring up jamma adapters. And modifying the oddball AMP solenoid drive connectors that are no longer available.

Seems like more than $400 to me.

Modernized it really isn't... ever played an Allied cocktail? I've owned several, still have a Take Five and Eeros One. Hearts and Spades is the best Allied cocktail title, by far. They're interesting for what they are but are still a cocktail pinball. And the nylon flipper and drop target parts have an odd feel to them.

I'm just saying that putting all that into an Allied cocktail probably isn't what most people would consider a good investment. Maybe OPP is a better choice.

#202 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

So if you aren't in, then be out, or offer something constructive please

That was constructive. p-roc is not the way to go on Allied. Throwing that much hardware on such a simple game is not a good solution.

No need to get testy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CoreyStup.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-allied-leisure-mpu?tu=CoreyStup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.